CONFIRMED! Mario Vs. Wario Vs. Cheapy Vs. Wombat

8-bit-ghost

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Why do Cheapy and Wombat pronounce Mario "Marry-O" but not Wario "Warry-O"?

Actually its not just them... it seems to be a lot of podcasters in the industry....

Always wondered....its like fingernails on a chalkboard to me....its Mar-E- OH!!

Even the character himself pronounces it the that way....right?

Not trying to be a jerk here...just a curious mind....

[quote name='8-bit-ghost']Why do Cheapy and Wombat pronounce Mario "Marry-O" but not Wario "Warry-O"?

Actually its not just them... it seems to be a lot of podcasters in the industry....

Always wondered....its like fingernails on a chalkboard to me....its Mar-E- OH!!

Even the character himself pronounces it the that way....right?

Not trying to be a jerk here...just a curious mind....[/QUOTE]
Oh for the luvva crap...

Hey I always wonder why People on gaming podcasts can't say the german version of the ESRB which is the "Selbst Unterhaltungs Kontrolle" (SKU) but then again I am german and can say it properly. It's a foreign name that's why. It's not everyone's nature to say foreign names properly.

But Mario and Wario are in Cheapy and Wombat's native tongue...one should pronounce Mario just like Wario...

I believe that Cheapy and Wombat in the early CAGcast days even mentioned that people said they say it wrong....but no one ever brought up that they say Wario normally...in the recent CAGcast they said it enough to finally make me break down to write this silly thread...

Maybe i should start a Devil May Cry 4 exclusivity type petition...kidding

I agree with the OP. They did make a mention on a CAGcast on why people say Mar-i-o. It sure is strange that they say War-io instead of Warry-O.

Marry-O is a New york thing also. That shit is pronounced MAR-I-O!

[quote name='pimpinc333']I agree with the OP. They did make a mention on a CAGcast on why people say Mar-i-o. It sure is strange that they say War-io instead of Warry-O.

Marry-O is a New york thing also. That shit is pronounced MAR-I-O![/quote]

Thank you!

I had to stop the cagcast today while they were talking about the "marry-o" strikers. For god's sake.. MAH-REE-OH. It's so annoying to hear "marry-o".

HEHE... glad i am not the only one who feels this way...i mean it doesnt make me stop loving the CAGcast...just think its strange.....

Maybe i or someone will call in the live show next week?

Has there been a poll on how many of us CAG's say Mar-i-o and Marry-O? I guarentee a lot have started to use Marry-O since Wombat and Cheapy say it that way.

[quote name='yukine']I've noticed it, but I've listened to so many CAGcasts that it doesn't bother me anymore.[/QUOTE]

Likewise, though the first few times did cause me to cringe :lol:

[quote name='furyk']Reason why: Mario is an actual Italian name. Wario is not.[/QUOTE]
The Italian pronunciation of Mario isn't "Marry-Oh".

Interesting...that Wario isnt Italian and therefore that that would dictate its pronunciation (even though i believe Wario is also Italian)...and to top it off both names were given by a Japanese Company....we live in a global society for sure :)

Wario isn't Italian. It's the shortened version of Wamario (wa being the Japanese prefix for bad). I read it on wikipedia so it must be true.

How is Mario pronounced in Italian?

Technically, if we were to pronounce Mario in english correctly (using the "one consonant between vowels" rule) it WOULD be pronounced the way Wombat pronounces it, like "Mary-O". But since he's a japanese creation, it's pronounced most commonly the way the Japanese would pronounce it, which, using their monosyllabic character system, would be "Mah-Ree-Oh." So technically, both ways are right.

bread's done
Back