I'm afraid to play ICO..

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I've had my PS2 for almost two years now and I have never had any problems with it at all (no DREs, etc.). I just opened my copy of ICO I bought during the CC sale back in December. Once the disc was in the PS2 it started making very loud clicking noises. :? My PS2 read the disc but shortly after I started playing, my character jumped out a window and then the disc started clicking again and never stopped. I had to reset from a blank screen. :(

Has this ever happened to anyone? Does it have something to do with the blue bottom on the disc? I put in another game and it worked fine but I am afraid to try again because of all the problems people have with DREs - I don't want to be one of them...

I hate that. the Sims i had had a blue bottom, and I was completely unaware. Once i put it in my disc, it just simply didn't work. i've come to the conclusion that my PS2 at my dad's isnt strong enough to play blue- discs, so i had to gloomily bring it over to my mom's house. Then again, its probably the fact that my dad got his PS2 off ebay, and something must've happened (wear and tear) that made it unable to play the blue disc, because what i heard is that since the white is the lightest color, its easiest to reflect off the disc and play, or something similar, but dark blue is much, much harder, especially for older PS2's. i wish they would stop making those stupid blue bottoms, it limits my ability to be able to play all the games on my PS2. unique yes, but simply not working.

There's a quick and safe solution to avoid these clicking sounds. Place two pieces of scotch tape of equal length equidistant from the center. It should look something like this:

| o |

The "|" are the pieces of tape. The "o" is the center of the CD (opening). This should fix those clicking sounds with blue-bottom discs.

I have had 6 Ps2's 2 from launch 3 newer one's and 1 that came with a modem. The only one I got a DRE on was the one with the modem. From what I heard the launch one's were supposed to be the one's that didn't work. So is it that there are bugs in some and not in others? Or did I just get lucky?

I'd have to echo that - it's luck. I've had my PS2 since launch and never had a single problem with it. I started to get DREs for the first time about 2 weeks ago; I opened it up and cleaned the laser lens, which was caked with dust, and it's been running great ever since. My PS2 was also my primary DVD player for about 18 months. Maybe I've had my own luck too, with Sony - I also have a launch PSX that I've never had any problems with.

If your PS2's failing to read discs, just call Sony's tech support, and tell them you're getting DRE's. They'll most likely fix it for the cost of shipping to Sony. I sent mine in, and got it back within two weeks. It had completely stopped reading everything, and once I got it back, it was pristine.

I was really pissed when it stopped working, but Sony did the right thing, and I'm quite happy with their response. Worth a shot, at least.

seppo

Or you could try the tape trick. Anyone have a link to that? I think IGN did a story on it. Basically you have to put two pieces of scotch tape on each side of the center hole parallel to one another across the length of the disc. This supposedly fixes the problem. Not sure how tho.

I dunno if I was truly lucky though the Ps2 that crapped out was the one I had a level 50 character on EQOA. On that game you have to use the same PS2 and can't transfer your character to another. I have so many PS2 because I used to have Online party's at my house. And the 2 I had at launch were for clout.

I am teh confused.

The topic creator is talking about clicking sounds when he uses the blue-bottomed CDs, not disc read errors. Read my, or daphatty's, post again for the solution.

Thanks! I guess I will try the tape thing - there's nothing to lose I guess. How long should the strips be and how far from the center hole?

place electrical tape on the disc. put about 1/2 " of tape on each side of the center hole, where the clear plastic is, on the label side. it doesn't take much. This will make the disc slightly thicker in the center where it grips, and it will work fine. Take caution doing this, in that if the tape comes off in your ps2 it could cause a problem.

[quote name='Spiritseed'] And the 2 I had at launch were for clout.[/quote]
Hahahahaha!

[quote name='punqsux']place electrical tape on the disc.[/quote]
Electrical tape? Why does that sound wrong to me? The article I read specified scotch tape. Plus, I would think electrical tape is to heavy and could break the drive mechanism.

I had this with my launch PS2 and Sony fixed it for the cost of me shipping it. It was funny, the tech support lady was all like "Sony cares so much about its customers so we'll fix it free" lol more like "we farked up a bunch of PS2s so instead of admitting our mistake we will try and make it sound like us fixing it free is the best thing ever!" am i rite?

bread's done
Back