System Shock 3???

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Systam Shock 2 Retrospective

Gamespot has the above article about the making and gameplay of System Shock 2. What's interesting is that at the end they hint that there's going to be a big announcement tomorrow on maybe a future System Shock style game.

"The studio has decided that it wishes to further what it started in System Shock 2--to work on games that promote "emergent" gameplay--open-ended exploration that offers many choices and combinations of options to players. "

I hope they distirute System Shock 2 as a promotional tool if they do make a new game. I would love to play the game, but it seems really hard to find

I looked at the title and thought that it actually had been announced. You let me down Akbar...j/k. Anyhoo, I would love a System Shock 3. They could bundle it with 2 also since my copy is getting kind of worn.

Huh. Well good. Ever since Y-Project got canned I've been waiting for a successor to SS2. This is even better.

[quote name='Gamespot'] Interestingly, this new system ties into BioShock's interface, which Irrational plans to make highly streamlined.[/quote]

I just got a bad taste in my mouth.

I was excited about this game until I got to that sentence. Now I am skeptical.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I hope they distirute System Shock 2 as a promotional tool if they do make a new game. I would love to play the game, but it seems really hard to find[/quote]
That would be cool. Ive heard so much about the System Shock games, and I want to play them.

IGNPC: Right after hearing about BioShock, some avid fans of Shock history started to worry that it may be the Invisible War to the System Shock series. Exactly how faithfully complex will BioShock be when compared to SS2? Will it be "mass market friendly" (that's a nice way of saying dumb and simple)?

Ken Levine: The primary reason we nurtured BioShock for so long prior to bringing it to the publishing community title was that so we could firmly establish the game's identity and design.

If we wanted to make a BioShock-lite, we could have done that; an action shooter set in the BioShock universe. I think we've all heard that tune before. And if the publisher is paying the bills from day one, and they have a substantial financial investment, it's only natural to assume they'd want to drive the product in a direction they view will be most profitable. And to make that determination, the marketing department generally becomes heavily involved early on in the design process. While that works great for an existing franchise, such as Tribes and SWAT (where Sierra brought tremendous knowledge of those brands to the table), the design goals of BioShock aren't necessarily something your average marketing person will jump at. Until Grand Theft Auto came along and proved such games could be financially successful, you couldn't even discuss terms like "emergence" and "open-ended." You had to sneak them in between making AVIs featuring hot chicks and bullet-time.

Okay, I'm a lot less skeptical. I want this game NOW!!!

PS. Looking Glass Studios' spirit lives on

bread's done
Back