Looking for a good digital camera for around $100

Soujiro_Seta

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I have a really bad digital camera right now its a 1 mega pixel camera with no screen. Its pretty much worthless. So I figure i should get a new one. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good digital camera for around $100? Thanks ^_^

[quote name='DreamSymphony']best buy has a nice little nikon for $99, I believe it's the L4 or L5...[/QUOTE]

I didnt see it on the website i just saw an L10 but I will stop by a BB when I get a chance and take a look thanks ^_^
Any other suggestions?

I picked up a Nikon L11 for $150 a few weeks ago and love it, so the L10 can't be that far off. It's a great cemera

You can't go wrong with either the SD1000 or the L10. Wolf Camera has the L10 for $89.99 right now, you could try pricematching that to Best Buy for another 10% off. There's also a Samsung 6MP camera for $99.99, but I'd recommend one of the first two mentioned over that.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']I have a bunch of cameras of sale... what exactly are you looking for? zoom, megapixels, etc?[/QUOTE]

Maybe something with at least 5 megapixels and possibly 4x zoom. But I'm really not looking for anything in particular just wanna get a camera to play around with.

Well, I have a camera only Kodak Z650 I could sell you for about $115 shipped. It's a 6.1 MP with 10X Optical.... Overall condition, very good.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Well, I have a camera only Kodak Z650 I could sell you for about $115 shipped. It's a 6.1 MP with 10X Optical.... Overall condition, very good.[/QUOTE]

no thanks. It's a bit big. Thats one thing i forgot to mention that actually is the most important thing for me. I want something that i could just put in my pocket. Thanks anyway

Panasonic cameras are very good IMO. I'd recommend the LZ2 or 3 however for that price and cut back on the megapixels since they have 6x optical zoom.

i was at TRU yesterday and i remember seing a Fujifilm digital camera for like $59.xx (orange sticker price)
it was on clearance btw.

head to your local R'Zone at TRU if they have it also.

[quote name='espy605']I'd suggest reading reviews (if available) on hobby sites like www.dpreview.com or www.dcresource.com

Both sites have really great reviews. Steve's Digicams is good too (although the URL escapes me).[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for those sites. I spent like 2 hours browsing the forums ^_^
And I think I may look into a fuji f20. I dont think Im gonna jump on the HP just cause its cheap. I'm gonna go out tommorow and just go take a look around. Thanks again those sites were really helpful!

This may be a stupid question but are there any cameras like these that you can "charge" instead of using batteries? The current cam I use takes like 10 pictures on two AA batteries. I'm spending a fortune on batteries. Thanks.

Most digital cameras (the good ones) come with charger and a rechargeable battery pack (left side of pic).

41BSE31QEYL._SS400_.jpg

[quote name='HeSaveDave']This may be a stupid question but are there any cameras like these that you can "charge" instead of using batteries? The current cam I use takes like 10 pictures on two AA batteries. I'm spending a fortune on batteries. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
It depends. For the most part digital cameras either come with a proprietary battery(lithium-ion charging one) or accept AA batteries. The proprietary batteries are not better, it all depends on what the person using the camera needs. If you get a digital camera that accepts AA batteries, you will want to also get Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. When your camera runs out of batteries while your are out somewhere, the camera that takes AA batteries is the camera that you can actually go and find batteries from a store.

What camera do you have? It sounds kind of inefficient if it can drain the batteries in just 10 pictures. It would be wise to invest in some Ni-MH rechargeable AA batteries.

Thanks a lot for those sites. I spent like 2 hours browsing the forums ^_^
And I think I may look into a fuji f20. I dont think Im gonna jump on the HP just cause its cheap. I'm gonna go out tommorow and just go take a look around. Thanks again those sites were really helpful!
You're welcome.

I'd stick to brands that have experience making actual cameras. Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Sony, et cetera. I've heard good things about Casio and Panasonics, but I have no experience with them. For that Fuji camera, xD picture cards tend to be more expensive than the more popular SD cards used by almost everyone (including Nintendo Wii's).

If size is truly an issue, I'd stick with the Canon PowerShot SD series. They're often reviewed to be the best ultra-compacts available in terms of image quality. Be aware though all ultracompacts have weak flashes, so don't expect miracles indoors.

That being said, I have a Canon PowerShot SD200 for sale if anyone's interested. =)

Most digital cameras (the good ones) come with charger and a rechargeable battery pack (left side of pic).
It's not "the good ones" because many digital SLRs do not come with lithium-ion battery packs, and digital SLRs are the highest quality segment of the market. Ultra-compacts are the main types of cameras that use proprietary batteries, primarily to allow slimmer construction.
The proprietary batter are not better, it all depends on what the person using the camera needs. If you get a digital camera that accepts AA batteries, you will want to also get Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. When your camera runs out of batteries while your are out somewhere, the camera that takes AA batteries is the camera that you can actually go and find batteries from a store.
Yes, perfect explanation. Additionally, lithium ion batteries can only take a few hundred charges (typically 300-500) after which you need a new battery. A replacement first party battery typically runs $30-50 dollars. For $20, I can get 8 AA NiMHs which are four sets of batteries for a typical AA camera.

What camera do you have? It sounds kind of inefficient if it can drain the batteries in just 10 pictures. It would be wise to invest in some Ni-MH rechargeable AA batteries.
I agree with you. But if he's running on regular alkalines, he'll get much worse battery life on alkalines than running on NiMH's. Additionally, older digital cameras (from like 2001 or so) had serious battery drain. These days power consumption technology in digital cameras is much improved.
I don't have these, but I believe they are supposed to be pretty good. Normally Ni-MH batteries lose their charge pretty fast over the course of a week or so, but these are supposed to hold their charge around as good as alkaline batteries.
These are the new hybrid NiMHs. They're excellent but they do suffer from a low mAh rating compared to other NiMHs (typically 2000 compared to 2600 or so for a decent size AA). These are good for low drain devices used over a long period like remote controls. For the casual photographer though they're perfect.

These is the NiMH charger I have and is probably the best one in terms of cost effectiveness:

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-900-AlphaPower-Battery/dp/B00077AA5Q/ref=sr_1_1/102-7444867-8892920?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183067532&sr=8-1

It can charge at different speeds and "revive" batteries that seem dead. It won't overcharge batteries either, unlike most $10-$20 charges you see in stores.

I remember seeing that charger on sale a while ago. I was thinking about picking one up but I don't remember my reasoning for passing it up.

Check this site out for reviews too:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Detailed reviews and sample pictures for comparisons.

For an inexpensive camera I personally recommend Canon cameras based on my limited experience.

I also recommend buying online if possible, it is usually cheaper. I have purchased from

www.buydig.com

and a coworker recently bought a SLR from

www.beachcamera.com

They both are located at the same place, but sometimes have slightly different prices and models available.

Here's an example of a recommended camera from Steve's site:
5 MP camera for 113.39 with free shipping (at buydig) or 112.50 from Amazon.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/a460.html

Good luck with your purchase.

I second the Fuji F20... or even the F30... I have the F10 and it rocks... best camera i've ever had... having a high ISO is a very important feature for me...

I remember seeing that charger on sale a while ago. I was thinking about picking one up but I don't remember my reasoning for passing it up.

Yeah I got it for $37, and don't regret it. It's a great unit and I know exactly when each battery is done charging and how much the charge is. It's really upsetting how the mAh rating on even name brand batteries is false. The firmware versions older than v33 had a bad habit of sometimes *cough* melting or exploding a little bit. The 33's all seem to be okay though.

Check this site out for reviews too:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Yeah that's a great site, too. That's the URL.

Here's an example of a recommended camera from Steve's site:
5 MP camera for 113.39 with free shipping (at buydig) or 112.50 from Amazon.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/a460.html

I also prefer Canon over other brands for compact/ultracompact cameras. However, I don't think the OP wants an A-series style camera, it isn't small enough. Great cameras, though.

I didnt realize the fuji camera used a XD picture card. I'm still thinking about getting it though. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down at this point I think. Im either gonna get the Fuji F20 or the Canon SD1000. Thanks you guys were a lot of help ^_^

I ended up doing a little bit more research. I went out looking today and BB had the Lumix TZ1 for $180. So I ended up getting that if you guys were wondering which I'm sure you weren't. ^_^ Thanks again for all the help

Great camera, I got that one for my GF and she loves it. It also has a feature where if you drop the Megapixels to 3 you can get 12.5x optical zoom :whistle2:O

bread's done
Back