New ScummVM release supports Sierra adventures!!!

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Can't believe there isn't a thread about this...

First, let's be clear: LucasArts adventures pwn Sierra. That said, I'd love to go back and revisit some of the golden age Sierra adventures. Version X.O.X. of SCUMM VM, the wonderful adventure game pseudo-emulator, makes this possible. Of course, you'll need copies of the original games, but this will make sure they work on modern computers (and other platforms).

Supported Sierra games:

The Black Cauldron
Gold Rush!
King's Quest I
King's Quest II
King's Quest III
King's Quest IV
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Mixed-Up Mother Goose
Manhunter 1: New York
Manhunter 2: San Francisco
Police Quest I: In Pursuit of the Death Angel
Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter
Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge

Hopefully this functionality will be added to ScummVM DS shortly.

http://scummvm.org/

[quote name='Tybee']Can't believe there isn't a thread about this...

First, let's be clear: LucasArts adventures pwn Sierra. That said, I'd love to go back and revisit some of the golden age Sierra adventures. Version X.O.X. of SCUMM VM, the wonderful adventure game pseudo-emulator, makes this possible. Of course, you'll need copies of the orginal games, but this will make sure they work on modern computers (and other platforms).

Supported Sierra games:

The Black Cauldron
Gold Rush!
King's Quest I
King's Quest II
King's Quest III
King's Quest IV
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Mixed-Up Mother Goose
Manhunter 1: New York
Manhunter 2: San Francisco
Police Quest I: In Pursuit of the Death Angel
Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter
Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge

http://scummvm.org/[/QUOTE]

there has already been a collection release for KQ, Leisure Suit Larry, and SQ.

[quote name='ITDEFX']there has already been a collection release for KQ, Leisure Suit Larry, and SQ.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but I doubt running them is as convenient as running them with SCUMMVM. And furthermore, SCUMMVM can be used to play original copies of the games on modern machines.

Anyways, pretty cool, but I wish it ran Quest for Glory. I suppose that's for later.

Oh... ... ah... ... ... if I move... I'll have an orgasm right now, I swear to God.

QFG4 on ScummVM!!!!&@()#@$%^()&@%

EDIT: The POTENTIAL for, I mean to say...

[quote name='Tybee']
First, let's be clear: LucasArts adventures pwn Sierra. [/QUOTE]

False.

And couldn't you just use DosBox?

[quote name='ITDEFX']there has already been a collection release for KQ, Leisure Suit Larry, and SQ.[/quote]

Yes, but good luck running them on most computers.

That collection + Scumm VM = :)

[quote name='Zoglog']False.

And couldn't you just use DosBox?[/quote]

Try it and let me know how it works out for you.

I'll wait. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']

First, let's be clear: LucasArts adventures pwn Sierra. http://scummvm.org/[/quote]

Hey, yeah you. STFU

It's cool though, I like them both very much. Enjoy the best of both worlds, there is no need to hate on one.

Anyhoo, I need Quest For Glory support as well. I have the anthology but there is a part in the remake of QFG1 that always crashes and it is late in the game too. And if I can't transfer my character I never want to play the series. There are also some issues in QFG3.

[quote name='Tybee']Yes, but good luck running them on most computers.

That collection + Scumm VM = :)[/quote]

The collections come with a program that allows you to play them in XP.

[quote name='Tybee']Try it and let me know how it works out for you.

I'll wait. ;)[/quote]
And a third post, yeah Dosbox totally sucks. For me it works for very few games.

Awesome, I love me some old adventure games via ScummVM. I've got some catching up to do, I haven't played any of the classic Sierra adventure games. What should I start with?

[quote name='yukine']Awesome, I love me some old adventure games via ScummVM. I've got some catching up to do, I haven't played any of the classic Sierra adventure games. What should I start with?[/quote]

Leisure Suit Larry is always a good place to start. ;) But they've all got their charms. I liked the King's Quest and Space Quest series, but my favorites were actually Gold Rush! and the two Manhunter games.

Just be aware that in Sierra games, you can and will die or lose because you failed to get a certain item or complete a certain task. It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens, and if you haven't saved recently, you will be PISSED.

[quote name='Tybee']Leisure Suit Larry is always a good place to start. ;) But they've all got their charms. I liked the King's Quest and Space Quest series, but my favorites were actually Gold Rush! and the two Manhunter games.

Just be aware that in Sierra games, you can and will die or lose because you failed to get a certain item or complete a certain task. It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens, and if you haven't saved recently, you will be PISSED.[/quote]

Haha, alright. Good looking out, that's a bit different than what LucasArts does in their games.

Oh, yeah, Lucasarts does pwn Sierra adventure games. But I think you all know what I'm a fanboy of.

The problem is that QFG4 was pretty damn buggy, and the version I have has a very complex series of patches to get it to run. Completely worth it. I don't know how, or if, ScummVM is going to do this.

[quote name='RollingSkull']

The problem is that QFG4 was pretty damn buggy, and the version I have has a very complex series of patches to get it to run. Completely worth it. I don't know how, or if, ScummVM is going to do this.[/quote]

The version I have, which came on a CD worked perfectly fine last time I tried it. Maybe you can find an updated version somewhere, since you own it.

Lucasarts pwning Sierra is not up for debate, it's a fact motherf*ckers. But Sierra's are still very good.

Sierra's are like having the best steak of your life. Lucasarts's are like having the best steak of your life while getting blown by a high class whore. The whole time I'm eating that steak, I'd like to be pleasured by a whore, so Lucasarts wins.

As to the announcement itself:

YES.

YES.

OH GOD YES.

[quote name='dtarasev']The collections come with a program that allows you to play them in XP.[/QUOTE]

That program is Dosbox, actually, which is ironic since your post right after this one says it sucks ;)

[quote name='Strell']Lucasarts pwning Sierra is not up for debate, it's a fact motherf*ckers. But Sierra's are still very good.

Sierra's are like having the best steak of your life. Lucasarts's are like having the best steak of your life while getting blown by a high class whore. The whole time I'm eating that steak, I'd like to be pleasured by a whore, so Lucasarts wins.

As to the announcement itself:

YES.

YES.

OH GOD YES.
[/QUOTE]

gamefaqs invades again

[quote name='Tybee']
[/QUOTE]

You really want to play games that require constant typing on the DS?

I'm a big fan of ScummVM and the SCI Sierra games. But frankly all of the AGI Sierra games that just became supported suck, and 6 of them have superior remakes (either official or fan-made).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You really want to play games that require constant typing on the DS?

I'm a big fan of ScummVM and the SCI Sierra games. But frankly all of the AGI Sierra games that just became supported suck, and 6 of them have superior remakes (either official or fan-made).[/quote]

Since you bring it up...

From the Scumm VM X.0.X documentation:

3.15) Sierra AGI games Predictive Input Dialog notes:
----- -----------------------------------------------
The Predictive Input Dialog is a ScummVM aid for running AGI engines games
(which notoriously require command line input) on devices with limited keyboard
support. In these situations since typing with emulated keyboards is quite
tedious, commands can be entered quickly and easily via the Predictive Input
Dialog.

In order to enable predictive input in AGI games, you need to copy the pred.dic
file in the ScummVM extras folder or the folder of the game you wish to play.
This dictionary has been created by parsing through all known AGI games and
contains the maximum set of common words.

If the dictionary is detected, the Predictive Input Dialog is displayed either
when you click on the command line area (wherever keyboard input is required,
even in dialog boxes), or in some ports by pressing a designated hot key.

The predictive input dialog operates in three modes, switchable by the
(*)Pre/123/Abc button. The primary input method is the predictive mode (Pre)
which resembles the way "fast typing" is performed at phones. The alphabet is
divided into 9 sets which naturally map to the 9 number keys of the numeric
keypad (0 is space). To type in a word, you press once the number of the set
which contains the letter of the word you intend to type, then move on to the
next. For example, to type the command 'look', you should press 5665. As you
gradually type the intended word's numeric code, the dictionary is accessed for
known words matching your input up to that point. As you press more keys, the
prediction converges to the correct word. This is why the printed word may
change dramatically between key presses. There exist situations though where
more than one words share the same numeric representation. For example the
words 'quit' and 'suit' map to the same number, namely 7848. In these cases the
(#)next button lights up. By pressing it, you can cycle through the list of
words sharing the same code and finally accept the correct one by pressing
(0)space or the Ok button.

The second input method (123) is the numeric input: Each key you press is
entered verbatim as a number.

The third input method (Abc) is the Multi-tap Alpha input mode. This mode is
intended for entering free text, without assistance from the dictionary scheme
of predictive (Pre) mode. The text is entered one letter at the time. For each
letter first press the number of the set which contains the letter you want,
then use the (#)next button to cycle through the letters and repeat with
another number. For example, to enter the word 'look' you must press the
following: 5##6##6##5#

The dialog is fully usable with the mouse, but a few provisions have been made
in some ScummVM ports to make its use more comfortable by naturally mapping the
functionality to the numeric keypad. Also, the dialog's buttons can be
navigated with the arrow and the enter keys.

[quote name='dtarasev']The version I have, which came on a CD worked perfectly fine last time I tried it. Maybe you can find an updated version somewhere, since you own it.[/quote]

Worked perfectly, you say?

Well, the biggest and probably only major glitch was the slippery slope after exiting the cave at the start of the game. The rest are timing issues that make certain things broken on modern PCs (The Antwerp Maze in Dr. Cranium's lair.).

[quote name='Zoglog']gamefaqs invades again[/QUOTE]

Well I am sorry I had to mention your mom in my post. Just be happy I called her high class.

I guess I am the only one here that figured DosBox out, then? I am in love with that program, and to be honest prefer it to ScummVM, though not by much. ScummVM has one "nice" feature in supporting mp3-encoded CD themes, which is great if your CD is scratched up, or you don't have it at all. Still, though, when it comes to playing old games that are not covered in ScummVM, DosBox does it all justice.

I grew up with Sierra games, and I have a pretty huge nostalgic attachement to Space Quests and Leisure Suit Larry. Ditto for the first two Monkey Islands and Loom, though. And DOTT. And Zak McKracken.

It's very nice to see those games continue to be played. A lot of them are quite ingenius with how much was done with so little. Perhaps some younger people who weren't all about those games could peep this stuff, to see both kids' and adults' games done right. So, good news!

Last but not least, I have fingers crossed for ScummVM support of the first two Discworld games. Lovely book series, and excellent adventures (unless you hate in-game dialogue, or british humor - stay the f. away if that is the case.)

[quote name='RollingSkull']Worked perfectly, you say?

Well, the biggest and probably only major glitch was the slippery slope after exiting the cave at the start of the game. The rest are timing issues that make certain things broken on modern PCs (The Antwerp Maze in Dr. Cranium's lair.).[/quote]

Hmmm, I do remember that glitch with the slope now that you mention it. But I think that only came up in the copy that came with the QFG Anthology, this is the QFG collection that came out several years ago. I think this is so becuase everytime I would install QFG4 I would use the CD version and not the one that came with the others.

And yes, you are right about the Antwerp maze. I still think that there are issues with that in the version I am talking about. But I still recall completing the maze in some manner with out using anything like DOSbox or anything. The biggest timing issue was that sometimes the game would go slow then fast again. That is the problem I encoutner most of the time. But the reason I said the game worked fine was becuase I was able to beat it without any other programs. I think I might have fooled around with the compatability settings but that is it.

And on a sife note for this thread, do any of you guys know how these games and/or ScummVM work in Vista? I plan on upgrading soon and I hope it is not more trouble than XP.

And one more question, what ever happened to QFG5? I read some thing about it a long time ago and it was supposed to be in 3D. Did it ever come out? And could you port you character into it? And is it in the new collection?

This thread isn't going anywhere really so I will ask this, how good is Loom? I got it lying about but I never got into it I played about halfhour and memorizing the tunes got boring fast. Am I missing out or it is not as good as I think it is?

I gotta condense my posts into one but whatever.

[quote name='Roufuss']That program is Dosbox, actually, which is ironic since your post right after this one says it sucks ;)[/quote]

Say what? Does it atleast have nice interface with preset paramters and what not? Becuase bundling a bare program with the games sound horrible.

Loom is...hmmm.

Of all the adventure games I've played, I'd call Loom the most abstract. A lot of staples of the genre aren't there - inventory, for example. The puzzles are ingenius, but some of them require some very out-of-the-box thinking.

The voice work in the game is - imo - some of the best I've ever heard. Period. I remember reading reviews saying it was only so-so, but after the recent trend in gaming to have crappy voices all around, I can safely say it is top notch.

As for the game itself, it's very short. You could finish it in one night - even on your first run - pretty easily. We're talking rivals-Full-Throttle-for-shortness length here.

It's not nearly as humorous as other Lucasarts games, but the music is beautiful.

The story is quite strong. You don't spend much time with characters, but there are a few that generate great emotion very quickly and potently.

If all of this is taken into consideration, it's an excellent game. HOWEVER - and this is a big one - the problem with Loom is simple. It was planned as a trilogy, and as such, when you finally finish it, you're left thinking "That's it?" Without spoiling, let's just say you leave some huge strings unstrung and frayed, and it's a real kick in the teeth to think we'll never get proper sequels to help finish telling the story. I believe the designer got really upset with the poor sales (I forget his name, and I'll have to look it up later, to stave off indignation from others 'round here.)

I'll put it like this. You could finish it very quickly such that it warrants being played, and the overall sense of artistic attention really does need to be experienced. It's not going to make you laugh much, and the game ends without resolution, but it really is a remarkable game. The story elements and the universe itself feel very alive and highly original, so I'd say to play it.

[quote name='Strell']...let's just say you leave some huge strings unstrung and frayed...[/quote]

Oh, how clever you are. Hardy har har!

Strell's dead on with Loom, except I played it as a kid, and beat it all on my own. Look, you're a weaver in the land of great guilds and you enchant objects around you with music. If that sounds like it's not your thing, pass it right by. I figure most people should be unable to enjoy Loom and Zak McKracken, but every damn time you people prove me wrong.

Ugh, this sucks. So I started playing Loom and I got pretty far until I got stuck. It seems that I missed the healing draft and not I can't heal Rusty and I have to begin all over since I saved right there. I thought I got the draft becuase I wrote down the colors Fleece was making, since the correspond to the keys. And it seems that either I was wrong, which I doubt or that it did not count since I found in a walkthrough that you gotta click on the sheep. Also, I had to check a walkthrough becuase I was confused at what to do and I discovered that you could play the drafts backwards, they really should have explained that to you, it would have helped so much to know it.

Oh and one more thing, I have a sound issue. Everytime the keys play on the staff or that noise plays; all the dialogue that follows is blanked out. Any idea how I can solve this? I have the CD version and I just ran it off the disc. Other than that the game works great.

[quote name='dtarasev']And one more question, what ever happened to QFG5? I read some thing about it a long time ago and it was supposed to be in 3D. Did it ever come out? And could you port you character into it? And is it in the new collection?[/QUOTE]

Quest For Glory V: Dragon Fire. It came out, it was pseudo-3D (used dithering backgrounds), and you could import your character.

The game was pretty good, though not Shadows of Darkness good. It tied up many loose ends and ended the series fairly well. Lots of references to the earlier games for fans.

Worth a playthrough, but honestly probably the least enjoyable of the series. Side note: Lori Cole (one of the creators) told me they actually cut Punny Bones from the game because so many people hated him in Shadows of Darkness. Those people are idiots.

[quote name='hxhawkeye']Quest For Glory V: Dragon Fire. It came out, it was pseudo-3D (used dithering backgrounds), and you could import your character.

The game was pretty good, though not Shadows of Darkness good. It tied up many loose ends and ended the series fairly well. Lots of references to the earlier games for fans.

Worth a playthrough, but honestly probably the least enjoyable of the series. Side note: Lori Cole (one of the creators) told me they actually cut Punny Bones from the game because so many people hated him in Shadows of Darkness. Those people are idiots.[/quote]

Guess I will try and track it down some time.

I loved to hate him.

[quote name='dtarasev']This thread isn't going anywhere really so I will ask this, how good is Loom? I got it lying about but I never got into it I played about halfhour and memorizing the tunes got boring fast. Am I missing out or it is not as good as I think it is?[/quote]

I think Stell hit all the high points. IMO, Loom is somewhat underrated. It's certainly worth a play through, especially if you can get a hold of the CD version, which includes full voice (and also includes a 30-minute audio drama on a separate disc). The music/spell element is well implemented, and I like the art. Story's decent, but dosen't feel as epic as it clearly wants to be.

They were working on two sequels titled Forge and The Fold at one time (there are 3 or 4 screenshots floating around the Interwebs), and I really wish they had come out. Loom was a good IP.

Details on the sequels courtesy of Wikipedia (contains some spoilers if you haven't played Loom):

Originally, Loom was to be the first game of a trilogy. Aside from the "cliffhanger" ending, the game contained several other hints pointing toward a sequel - for example, one of the "scrying spheres" the player can find shows a scene of a volcanic eruption, which does not occur in the game, but can be caused by Temblor, one of the several unused spells listed in The Book of Patterns. The two sequels planned were titled Forge and The Fold, starring Bobbin's friends Rusty Nailbender and Fleece Firmflanks. These sequels would wrap up open plot-threads and bring closure to the open ending of the original game, with Chaos eventually being defeated. However, Loom's original development team were now all working on other projects, and as Lucasfilm Games was a small company at that time, no one else could be found to do it; and so, they were cancelled. In a letter to a the fan-made Loom sequel Chaos, Brian Moriarty detailed the following regarding his intended sequels:

“Loom was conceived as the first game of a fantasy trilogy. The second game, Forge, would follow the adventures of Rusty Nailbender as he tried to regain control of the Forge, which was hijacked by Chaos in the first game. Bobbin was going to appear every now and then (as a swan) to offer help and advice, kind of like Obi-Wan Kenobi in Empire [The Empire Strikes Back] and Jedi [Return of the Jedi]. At the end of Forge, Rusty drives Chaos out of the Forge, but not before the gentle land of the Shepherds is conquered and nearly destroyed in a terrible battle. (The floating Forge ends up falling directly onto the Shepherds' pastures.)

The third game, The Fold, followed the adventures of Fleece Firmflanks, who teams up with Rusty to resist the evil forces that are camping in the Shepherds' territory. Bobbin again offers occasional help and advice. At the climax of the game, Bobbin, Bobbin's mother and Hetchel return to Earth along with the entire Guild of Weavers, and all of the other Guilds join for a final challenge to Chaos. Working together for the first time, their combined magic banishes Chaos back into the Void, and the healing of the world can begin. Rusty and Fleece get married, and Bobbin becomes the head of the Guild of Weavers.

Contrary to popular belief, the Loom sequels were not abandoned because Loom didn't sell well. Loom has sold more than half a million copies in various formats since it was published in 1990. The reason the sequels weren't made is because I decided I wanted to work on other things, and nobody else wanted to do them, either.”

[quote name='dtarasev']Ugh, this sucks. So I started playing Loom and I got pretty far until I got stuck. It seems that I missed the healing draft and not I can't heal Rusty and I have to begin all over since I saved right there. I thought I got the draft becuase I wrote down the colors Fleece was making, since the correspond to the keys. And it seems that either I was wrong, which I doubt or that it did not count since I found in a walkthrough that you gotta click on the sheep. Also, I had to check a walkthrough becuase I was confused at what to do and I discovered that you could play the drafts backwards, they really should have explained that to you, it would have helped so much to know it.[/quote] You don't have to heal anyone to beat the game, unless I'm on crack.

The healing spell is taught to you by the Shepherd lady who has a sick little sheep.

The crappy thing about adventure games is that there's too many I want to see sequels to.

Full Throttle 2
A proper Monkey Island 3/4 with Gilbert at the helm (though I do enjoy the current iterations, make no mistake)
Loom 2/3

I almost wonder if a wealthy philanthropist handing them millions of dollars in startup venture and salary to certain individuals - Gilbert, Moriarity, etc - might result in said games being finally made.

[quote name='Strell']Loom is...hmmm.

Of all the adventure games I've played, I'd call Loom the most abstract. A lot of staples of the genre aren't there - inventory, for example. The puzzles are ingenius, but some of them require some very out-of-the-box thinking.

The voice work in the game is - imo - some of the best I've ever heard. Period. I remember reading reviews saying it was only so-so, but after the recent trend in gaming to have crappy voices all around, I can safely say it is top notch.

As for the game itself, it's very short. You could finish it in one night - even on your first run - pretty easily. We're talking rivals-Full-Throttle-for-shortness length here.

It's not nearly as humorous as other Lucasarts games, but the music is beautiful.

The story is quite strong. You don't spend much time with characters, but there are a few that generate great emotion very quickly and potently.

If all of this is taken into consideration, it's an excellent game. HOWEVER - and this is a big one - the problem with Loom is simple. It was planned as a trilogy, and as such, when you finally finish it, you're left thinking "That's it?" Without spoiling, let's just say you leave some huge strings unstrung and frayed, and it's a real kick in the teeth to think we'll never get proper sequels to help finish telling the story. I believe the designer got really upset with the poor sales (I forget his name, and I'll have to look it up later, to stave off indignation from others 'round here.)

I'll put it like this. You could finish it very quickly such that it warrants being played, and the overall sense of artistic attention really does need to be experienced. It's not going to make you laugh much, and the game ends without resolution, but it really is a remarkable game. The story elements and the universe itself feel very alive and highly original, so I'd say to play it.[/quote]

Strell hit the nail on the head with this Loom write up. The problem is even exacerbated further once one has beaten the game. I beat it many years ago, and recently fired it up, so I remember half of the puzzles. I bet you could run through it in forty minutes on subsequent play throughs.

Still, yes the voice acting is SUPERB, and the art direction is pretty "wow". Make sure you get the VGA version.

[quote name='lazersheep']I played through Quest For Glory I (EGA) last year using VDMSound without any problems. I started QFG II as well and that also ran perfectly.[/quote]

How are the Quest for Glory games? I used to have a promo video from Sierra (VHS, baby) and it had one of the QFG games on it. It looked pretty awesome. I remember a big chicken-house coming after the player, for some reason.

This was around the time of Colonel's Bequest and Space Quest ]I[.. god bless astro chicken. I'll hum all three bars of that on request for you, still, to this day.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']How are the Quest for Glory games? I used to have a promo video from Sierra (VHS, baby) and it had one of the QFG games on it. It looked pretty awesome. I remember a big chicken-house coming after the player, for some reason.[/quote]

Baba Yaga's hut had chicken legs. I forget why.

I can only speak for 4, but QFG blends Sierra adventure with RPG-style exploration, health management, and combat. Dunno which QFG started the day/night cycle, but it worked well in 4.

Only problems, you have to exercise each day and may have to grind stats to do a few puzzles, which makes replaying as other classes difficult to enjoy, as you have to grind again.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Baba Yaga's hut had chicken legs. I forget why.[/quote]
I suppose I thought everyone knew this because I'm an authentic Russian from Russia who grew up with these fairy tales. I guess this requires explanation.

Baba Yaga's house has chicken legs because that's the house she lives in. In every tale, every story, every fucking mention of Baba Yaga is tied to her house which is remarkable only because it has chicken legs.

For the same reason, Kashey Bessmertniy's "life" is ALWAYS in the tip of the needle that is in an egg that is in a box which is in a chest inside the bigger box and then a trunk, which is in a tree (in the roots of a tree, inside of a tree) that is on an island to which there's no map and it's hard as fuck to get to. I'm glad Sierra decided not to incorporate THAT Russian fairy tale villain into QFG4. That puzzle would have been A BITCH.

Domovoy (also in QFG4) means "house elf" or I guess for Russians it's more like "House Dwarf" and they are sometimes nice, but usually aren't.

PS. QFG3 has the least amount of grindwork, and it's still pretty terrible due to it. QFG1 and 2 are basically: CLIMB TREE, F3 (Sierra's RETYPE LAST shortcut) -> CLIMB TREE -> F3 -> CLIMB TREE -> F3 -> CLIMB TREE. Finally your dipshit character climbs the damn tree. Then you accidentally press "down" and he falls to his moron death to remind you that you haven't saved after the climb.

Great games, though.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']How are the Quest for Glory games? [/QUOTE]

I've only played 1 and some of 2 and 4, but the original QFG is one of my favorite games (although nostalgia may have something to do with that). I did have fun playing through it again; it's true about the "climb tree" stuff but I'm not sure I'd sum it up like that. ;) I'd definitely recommend it. The first one does have a day/night cycle.

[quote name='lazersheep']I've only played 1 and some of 2 and 4, but the original QFG is one of my favorite games (although nostalgia may have something to do with that). I did have fun playing through it again; it's true about the "climb tree" stuff but I'm not sure I'd sum it up like that. ;) I'd definitely recommend it. The first one does have a day/night cycle.[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me about the day/night cycle. I stand corrected: playing QFG1 as a theif and trying to rob one very particular house at night over and over again was as close as I've gotten to Fallout back in 1991. QFG3 was quite excellent as well, the whole tribal tests of courage and strength.

Really, I think Sierra adventures of the old were all amazing. Unless they had the name Roberta Williams splattered on them. She is, by far, the most overrated game designer to date. Drawing fugly pictures for the Mystery House being the best thing she ever done.

[quote name='MarioColbert']

Really, I think Sierra adventures of the old were all amazing. Unless they had the name Roberta Williams splattered on them. She is, by far, the most overrated game designer to date. Drawing fugly pictures for the Mystery House being the best thing she ever done.[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I loved all the QFGs so I figured King's Quest would be right up my alley but I was totally wrong. The story just sucks IMO. There is no action and the puzzles are hard and unrewarding. I do not feel bad dying in QFG becuase most likely it is due to a fight. In Kings Quest you die becuase you did a puzzle wrong. But overall I just can't find that any game in that series fun.

My main beef with Roberta Williams is that her stories are extremely one-sided and lack any sense of character design, development, or motivation. She also consistently pimped the idea of her games being a "mystery" - when she should have said "the least sensible solution will be adopted for the sake of shock value alone." That, and terrible dialog. Sierra's main dialog writers are Al Lowe and Scott Murphy. (LucasArts have Schafer and Gilbert and Grossman and character design of the allmighty Purcell, so don't think I'm forgetting my roots.)

In all fairness, Roberta Williams has successfully "disney-fied" her King's Quest franchise before Disney even began to figure out just how awful and trite they can make their stories. The Haunted House with Eddie Murphy is a movie equivalent of Roberta Williams' award winning vaccuum.

Well let me ask you guys this:

I have a DS Lite... how hard is it, realistically, to transfer Lucasarts/Sierra games to a memory stick and get them running? Is it hours of work (to get started)?

I think it would be cool to do (bitchin for a roadtrip!) but I don't want to buy cables and spend a ton of time if it's tedious....

That's exciting. I've never been able to play a Sierra adventure game because of this. Now I just have to get a hold of the games somehow...

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Well let me ask you guys this:

I have a DS Lite... how hard is it, realistically, to transfer Lucasarts/Sierra games to a memory stick and get them running? Is it hours of work (to get started)?

I think it would be cool to do (bitchin for a roadtrip!) but I don't want to buy cables and spend a ton of time if it's tedious....[/QUOTE]

Piece of cake with an R4. Simple as copying to a usb drive.
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

[quote name='csidegamer']Piece of cake with an R4. Simple as copying to a usb drive.
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/[/quote]

What he said. Only you can't use a "memory stick." The R4DS (which I just purchased) and the M3 Simple are the same device with slightly different software. They're literally DS carts into which you insert an SD Micro card (up to 2 gigs). Loading software on the DS simply involves copying the files onto the SD Micro card, inserting it in the device, inserting that into your DS, turning it on, and selecting what you want to run.

bread's done
Back