Metroid Prime 3 - Do Mother Brains' Have PMS? - 9.5 From IGN!

Zen Davis

Banned
According to Go Nintendo in a report by Play:

- First level - You are attacked on a spaceship while meeting with the ship’s captain…action packed

- Play feels motion controls work better than dual joystick

- Super sensitive pointer in “advanced” mode

- Beam stacking ala Super Metroid

- Visor switch: Hold minus and flick Wiimote in certain directions

- Boss fight with Ridley at the end of the first level. Excellent difficulty curve by the time you reach the boss.

- Back tracking in MP3:C makes more sense than in previous Primes

- Extra development time was to give the game more polish. Nintendo wanted “Twilight Princess” levels of polish. Game is focused on Metroid fans and hardcore gamers, but still accessible to newcomers due to controls.

- Second level - floating city focused on exploration

- Larger environments, bloom lighting, better textures than Prime 2

- Corruption Mode not available in demo

- Play says it could be the biggest revolution in FPS gaming since Halo.
I'm going through Metroid Prime 2 right now and even though it was overlooked by a lot of people, I am loving the experience. It's tough, intriguing, looks good, and plays very well.

Honestly, I was really underwhelmed by the first one, but Prime 2 is just fantastic. The world doesn't feel 'Nintendo-ized', where you're given the mandatory lava, snow, and sand levels. You actually feel like you're in a desolate place where everyone you meet will be dead. Honestly more people should give it a go.

Federation Grunts were kicking ass in a manner that was frankly unseemly. Don't they know that their job is to die tragically when Samus enters the room?

I fucking hate light bloom. Metroid Prime with light bloom FTL. :( I keep trying to stay optimistic about this game, but I'm scared something will be changed that screws it up.

I'm going to wait for a lot of reviews on this one. They haven't done a good job translating Metroid into 3D (maybe it can't be).

I'm worried about having to hold up my arm for a long period of time to play the game. Sure, we did it for Zelda, but there were only certain parts that really needed accuracy. If it has looking and turning like Red Steel I doubt I could play it for long periods of time.

Wow. 5 posts of whining.

I don't have enough cheese in my cavernous reserves for the lot of you.

I shall get this first day, for I have waited my entire life for an FPS wherein the control shall be like a lightgun, my steady aim at the ready, endeavored to take out dreaded space pirates with little remorse.

So I'm in.

(Don't take this too seriously. ... Jerks.)

I'm shocked by these responses! Did you guys all forget how much Nintendo is pushing casual gaming on its own development studios?

Metroid Prime 3 is a game meant for hardcore players.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I'm worried about having to hold up my arm for a long period of time to play the game. Sure, we did it for Zelda, but there were only certain parts that really needed accuracy. If it has looking and turning like Red Steel I doubt I could play it for long periods of time.[/quote]You didn't really have to hold your arm in the air for Red Steel either, at least I didn't. Just propped my elbow on my knee as I do with every other controller.

It is rather remarkable that for one of the most highly anticipated games by seemingly everyone, no one has anything positive to say. :lol:

If anything, I want MORE casual games.
I have other systems for my other game experiences.

I never got into the first two Metroid Primes.
And the DS one is super crappy.

I'LL GIVE THIS ANOTHER CHANCE THO!!!

I was actually playing Metroid Prime 1 yesterday and that's a fuckin' great game... so I am definitely looking forward to this. Hopefully, the controls will be intuitive and won't have forced Wii-mote functionality.

[quote name='botticus']You didn't really have to hold your arm in the air for Red Steel either, at least I didn't. Just propped my elbow on my knee as I do with every other controller.

It is rather remarkable that for one of the most highly anticipated games by seemingly everyone, no one has anything positive to say. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's one of my most anticipated but at the same time, the one I'm most worried I will be dissapointed over.

[quote name='botticus']You didn't really have to hold your arm in the air for Red Steel either, at least I didn't. Just propped my elbow on my knee as I do with every other controller.

It is rather remarkable that for one of the most highly anticipated games by seemingly everyone, no one has anything positive to say. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually I thought that is was common knowledge that Metroid in 3D sucked. Just the fact that the developers are changing things back to the way they were in Super Metroid is incredibly telling. The question is why the fuck did they change it in the first place?

[quote name='Chacrana']Hopefully, the controls will be intuitive and won't have forced Wii-mote functionality.[/quote] I'm hoping that the Wii remote functionality is so unforced that I can actually use a GameCube controller. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Scrubking']Actually I thought that is was common knowledge that Metroid in 3D sucked. Just the fact that the developers are changing things back to the way they were in Super Metroid is incredibly telling. The question is why the fuck did they change it in the first place?[/QUOTE]

What in the hell is this post trying to prove?

Metroid Prime was received incredibly well by lots of various groups, and the fact that Nintendo gamers accepted a 3D incarnation of one of their holy franchises is immense in a way not seen much in the gaming industry anymore. (That is, until an honest-to-god good 3D Castelvania appears on the scene, but I have little faith that will happen.) Reviewers championed MP's more "first person adventure" focus, especially given the hotly debated and controversial shift to that sort of game.

As for changing Metroid, I imagine this is a lesser of two evils "we're-going-to-get-bitched-at-anyway" sort of decision, because if they'd left everything as is without anything new, I could see you writing "well f*ck the Retro guys they can't do anything new for the series." They changed it because it was in 3D, because it was the first new Metroid in a while on a console, and because if they'd kept it without anything different, people would hate on it for being nothing but a sequel.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']I'm hoping that the Wii remote functionality is so unforced that I can actually use a GameCube controller. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

You haven't played Resident Evil 4 yet, have you?

If Capcom can nail wiimote functionality perfectly in a shooting game, there is no reason Nintendo can't do it either. I actually don't want to go back to playing RE 4 with a controller after using the wiimote.

Good to see Scrubking is still bringing the idiocy to threads, as well.

[quote name='Scrubking']Actually I thought that is was common knowledge that Metroid in 3D sucked. Just the fact that the developers are changing things back to the way they were in Super Metroid is incredibly telling. The question is why the fuck did they change it in the first place?[/quote]
Scrub: You're right in that everyone thought that Nintendo could not pull it off prior to the release of Metroid Prime. To the best of my knowledge, however, the game was praised by critics and gamers alike. I have my beef with Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 (backtracking, anyone?) but all of them can be silenced by anyone clever enough to say "you are aware you're playing a Metroid game, right?"

Did you hate the first two that much? I found them to be superb, but did not like the fact that I could not put them down for a week or two - you get _really_ lost as to what the hell is going on after that, and I'm too busy to play all the time. :(

EDIT: Wikipedia says I'm right about the reception of Metroid Prime.
EDIT2: I don't mean that everyone has to love it, though.
After its release, the game has received much critical acclaim, including a perfect review score from Electronic Gaming Monthly, a 9.7 from GameSpot and a 9.8/10 from IGN, for its "very impressive graphics,[30] amazing, innovative gameplay – yet still true to the classic Metroid formula –,[31] and excellent soundtrack.[8]" Criticisms were also made, mostly for the unusual control scheme[32] and backtracking.[33]
Currently on Game Rankings, Metroid Prime stands as the third greatest game of all time and also the greatest game of the 21st century, with an average score of 96.4%.[34]The video game countdown show Filter named Metroid Prime as having the Best Graphics of all time. It also won many 2002 Game of the Year awards from major publications and gaming sites.
The game also became one of the best-selling games on the GameCube, with about 1.49 million copies sold in the United States alone.[4]. It is also the 8th best-selling GameCube game in Australia [35] and sold over 250,000 copies in Europe, thus entering the Player's Choice line[36].
Metroid Prime was also included in several lists of best games: 24th in IGN's Top 100,[37] 29th in a 100-game list chosen by GameFAQs users,[38] and 10th in Nintendo Power's "Top 200 Nintendo Games Ever"[39].
Metroid Prime also became popular among hardcore gamers for speedrunning, with specialized communities being formed to share these speedruns (see speedrun for more information).

Might I suggest "Core Games" or "Games for Gamers" for the title rather than "Hardcore games"? Too many representin' GTA thugs will think this game is for them and then go home and cry about it.

I'm looking forward to this. The controls of Metroid Prime made me never touch it again. I'm too used to playing with a normal dual analog setup; I just couldn't get a feel for anything in the game. But this, if nothing else if Nintendo shows the way (or ways) to control an FPS on the Wii, it could open the flood-gates of great FPS content on the system.

I'm hoping it handles like RE4... RE4 works wonderfully. But I guess the enemies in MP might be too fast for those types of controls.

Anyway, I'm glad this comes out BEFORE the TRU B2G1F sale. I just got a $50 TRU giftcard so I'll be picking up SPM, MP3, and something else (I'm hoping for SSB Brawl or SM Galaxy) for the Wii.

And yeah, Metroid isn't hardcore by any means. It's more like Daroga said, it's a gamer's game, something between casual and hardcore.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I'm worried about having to hold up my arm for a long period of time to play the game. Sure, we did it for Zelda, but there were only certain parts that really needed accuracy. If it has looking and turning like Red Steel I doubt I could play it for long periods of time.[/QUOTE]After playing Elebits, I'm pretty convinced that the Wiimote control scheme isn't meant for all-day-long game runs. When I was really getting into Elebits and playing for several hours successively, my wrist and hand were dying.

[quote name='Roufuss']Good to see Scrubking is still bringing the idiocy to threads, as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh god, forgive me for saying anything about the Holy Metroid franchise. :roll:

I think the 3D metroid games that have been made suck ass. You don't? Then good for you. The fact is I believe if you are going to make a FPS in the sea of high quality FPSs you better do a hell of a lot better than those poor excuses for a Metroid FPS we've seen.

I can already feel the NDF assembling.

It seems that most of the complaints with MP 1 & 2 is that they are not true FPSs. They are First-Person-Adventures with shooting. I've played and beat both 1 and 2 and love them both. I will get MP3 on day one and will play it and nothing else until it is done.

If the controls are as smooth as RE4:Wii Edition, we are all in for a big treat. True, there are a couple of glitches in RE4, but that is a port with waggle added. But, added quite well. MP3 will have been designed for the Wiimote from the ground up. It's no port.

I played RE4 for about 5 hours yesterday and didn't have a problem getting tired. Resting your arm on your thigh works well for long stretches of gaming.

[quote name='Scrubking']Oh god, forgive me for saying anything about the Holy Metroid franchise. :roll:

I think the 3D metroid games that have been made suck ass. You don't? Then good for you. The fact is I believe if you are going to make a FPS in the sea of high quality FPSs you better do a hell of a lot better than those poor excuses for a Metroid FPS we've seen.

I can already feel the NDF assembling.[/QUOTE]

What do you consider "high quality"? Most FPSs are MOTS. Halo 2 is a cut above the rest only because of the online multiplayer. But, what else is there that is innovative, fresh and involves more than just shooting everything in your path?

i hate backtracking in metroid prime. I was never able to beat the game because some how i was able to make it to the end without a hookshot or something like that. And so i could never cross a certain part. I might rent this or pick it up for cheap.

[quote name='Scrubking']Oh god, forgive me for saying anything about the Holy Metroid franchise. :roll:
[/QUOTE]

You know, before you can go around being a smartass, you have to have a point.

And since you lack one of those currently, you shouldn't be proceeding to step to with such cavalier abandon.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I'm shocked by these responses! Did you guys all forget how much Nintendo is pushing casual gaming on its own development studios?[/quote]
Uh, what? Unless you count Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros Brawl, Fire Emblem, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Project Hammer, Batallion Wars 2, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Strikers, Super Paper Mario, et cetera as casual games, I would hardly say that Nintendo is going totally casual. I mean, there's all those "gamer" titles, and on the casual side there's, what? Big Brain Academy, Wii Play, and Wii Sports? If you're trying to make a case that Nintendo is shifting to casual gamers exclusively, then, um, you're retarded.

Also:
[quote name='Zen Davis']Metroid Prime 3 is a game meant for hardcore players.[/QUOTE]
Could people please stop using this retarded term, "hardcore gamers"? It's really stupid.

I can already feel the NDF assembling.[/QUOTE]
Prime isn't an FPS. It's a First-person Adventure. Major difference.

Anyways, you think Prime sucks? Good for you. But what's fucking annoying is how you come parading through here with this nonsense about how "oh, I thought everyone hated prime," when, if you were paying any attention at ALL, they were two of the absolute best-received games on the last generation, and by some accounts, THE best.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Anyways, you think Prime sucks? Good for you. But what's fucking annoying is how you come parading through here with this nonsense about how "oh, I thought everyone hated prime," when, if you were paying any attention at ALL, they were two of the absolute best-received games on the last generation, and by some accounts, THE best.[/QUOTE]

This is the point that I and Strell tried to make as well which Scrubby (his name really fits his character, ya know?) just kind of glossed over. I like how he came in and said "blah blah everyone thought 3D Prime sucked blah blah" and then when someone calls him on it, he instantly turns around and starts trying to play the victim.

Good show!

Good for you for not liking them, but don't make it seem like a fact that they are hated games, because they aren't. I think Halo sucks, but I'm not naive / stupid enough to think that everyone hates them, and I'm sure as hell not going to go to a Halo 3 thread and go "LAWL I'm glad they are making changes cause it's common knowledge Halo sucks".

[quote name='Scrubking']Actually I thought that is was common knowledge that Metroid in 3D sucked. Just the fact that the developers are changing things back to the way they were in Super Metroid is incredibly telling. The question is why the fuck did they change it in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Haha... I had to go back and read some of the earlier posts to know what you guys are arguing about.

Where did you get the idea that the general consensus on MP was that it 'sucked'? I know a few people who don't like it in 3D but I'd say that it's more like 1 in every 20 people.:whistle2:k

And what do you mean they're changing things back to how they were in Super Metroid? I honestly though the Prime/Prime 2 were basically Super Metroid in 3D (with a whole new setting, weapons, and stuff).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Could people please stop using this retarded term, "hardcore gamers"? It's really stupid.[/QUOTE]
This is one thing I agree with you on. I swear, I know people who call themselves "hardcore gamers" because they play a game like Katamari that is apparently unknown to anyone and no one else has ever played it.

[quote name='Vinny']Haha... I had to go back and read some of the earlier posts to know what you guys are arguing about.

Where did you get the idea that the general consensus on MP was that it 'sucked'? I know a few people who don't like it in 3D but I'd say that it's more like 1 in every 20 people.:whistle2:k

And what do you mean they're changing things back to how they were in Super Metroid? I honestly though the Prime/Prime 2 were basically Super Metroid in 3D (with a whole new setting, weapons, and stuff).[/QUOTE]

Everything I've heard about those games that didn't come from Nfans, was that they were average to mediocre, and that the 3D aspect was poorly done and didn't fit the adventure genre that Metroid was.

After I played about 10 minutes of the first one I threw up at the horrible controls.

As far as changing things back, that's what the magazine says, Like beam stacking and other stuff.

They haven't done a good job translating Metroid into 3D (maybe it can't be).

In my best 'comically incredulous Conan O'Brien' imitation..."UHH-HUNHH?!?!"

I'm 98% certain to get this game within a week of its release. The only thing--and I mean the ONLY THING--that could stop me is the remote (buh-dum!) chance that the controls are imprecise enough as to make the game an exercise in perpetual frustration. I don't care about online, I don't care about any sort of multiplayer, and I really don't care about the trendily-loathed "bloom lighting". I just want this game to be worthy of favorable comparison to the previous two entries, at worst. It's one of the two or three reasons I preordered the console.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/cube/metroidprime?q=metroid prime

I guess every single review on there must be from an Nfan.

I guess every single reviewer was Nintendo biased. What a shocking discovery!!

Game Informer is one of the biggest Nintendo haters out there and they even gave Prime a 95.

Only two review's out of every single review on metacritic gave the game lower than a 90, and that was an 80 and an 83. I don't put much stock in reviewers but when 68 out of 70 reviewers give a game a 90 or above, to say "I thought it was common knowledge that Prime games sucked" is pretty naive or just flat out wrong. Apparently, it's common knowledge the game is awesome, actually. Ha, and one of those reviewers who gave it an 83 was Entertainment Weekly, so you can put about as much stock in that review as one in Maxim.

But I guess I learned today that apparently the entire gaming industry is skewed towards Nintendo.

What? What'd I do?

It's more complicated than you think, that Wii and me.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that much of what I rail against is the mentality of many to go entirely too far and, per usual, misinterpret the situation. Sure, the Wii's library is minigame-heavy and it's drawing in people that would never read a gaming message board, let alone post on one, but that DOESN'T mean that 'complete' and 'fleshed-out' games are NOT what this console can offer. It is NOT the duty of anyone to go around and brand games like this as the very arbitrarily-defined "hardcore", like it's some sort of fucking "Scarlet Letter". While it probably won't be perfectly balanced, why can't this system have it all?? And why would so many of its loyalists not want just that??

As Moe would utter, "Good...God!"

[quote name='Roufuss']You haven't played Resident Evil 4 yet, have you?[/quote] I have not. Glad to hear that someone has managed to implement aiming well. This makes me feel better. MP 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, so I can't help but feel nervous about 3 and the new control scheme. I'm trying to maintain faith; Retro is a great developer.

I'm looking forward to this. Super Metroid is probably still my all time favorite game, and I loved the first Metroid Prime on the GC. I didn't care for the second one two much as I hated the dark world (double the back tracking and running from light to light annoyed the shit out of me), but that doesn't look to be part of the 3rd game.

For what it's worth, Metroid Prime is my choice for the best GC game. Prime 2 was good too, but the whole "dark world" thing annoyed me a little too much to replay it. The first MP is pretty much a perfect Metroid game, I could(and have) replay that one again many times and not be bored.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were fun, but they never felt perfect to me. I hope that by being able to aim freely on the fly and more logical back tracking will make the game a blast to play through.

As for multiplayer, it is cool if it is there, but I view the games as a single player experience and hope they really did spend there time tweaking the game. (IE: not adding on tacked-on-multiplayer)

I am suprised how little we know about this game given that it comes out in 2 months. It is crazy when you think about most companies and their PR machine. I mean by now we should know at least the first 3 levels, just by videos alone. I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing?

Why does every thread in the Wii forum tell me to support something?

Anyways, day 1 purchase for me. I'm so excited, I may even jump from behind my couch to shoot space pirates like the man in the promo video.

I personally don't think that this game will be like the first two. I expect more action than exploration and more of a story to create a central cast of chracters in the Metroid Universe.

First level - You are attacked on a spaceship while meeting with the ship’s captain…action packed

- Play feels motion controls work better than dual joystick

- Super sensitive pointer in “advanced” mode

- Beam stacking ala Super Metroid

- Visor switch: Hold minus and flick Wiimote in certain directions

- Boss fight with Ridley at the end of the first level. Excellent difficulty curve by the time you reach the boss.

- Back tracking in MP3:C makes more sense than in previous Primes

- Extra development time was to give the game more polish. Nintendo wanted “Twilight Princess” levels of polish. Game is focused on Metroid fans and hardcore gamers, but still accessible to newcomers due to controls.

- Second level - floating city focused on exploration

- Larger environments, bloom lighting, better textures than Prime 2

- Corruption Mode not available in demo

- Play says it could be the biggest revolution in FPS gaming since Halo.

Yay for unmarked spoilers! Oh well... kind of sick of magazine's putting spoilers in the article. Game Informer just did it now too in their RE 4 review in the newest ish.

[quote name='The Crotch']but the whole "bloom lighting will fuck up the game" post earlier on makes my mighty heart mightily disheartened.[/quote] OK, I take it back. I am now overwhelmingly confident that this game will own in every respect. :D\\:D/:grouphug::bouncy:

bread's done
Back