World of Warcraft Public Open Beta - Let the addiction continue!

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
From WorldofWarcraft.com

World of Warcraft Open Beta Sign-ups Coming Soon! - Ordinn on 10/07/04
We are happy to announce that we will soon be accepting applicants for the World of Warcraft® Open Beta Test for North America. The open phase of beta will give people a chance to enter Azeroth and play World of Warcraft before the game is released. More details will become available in the days ahead, so stay tuned.

openbeta.jpg

For those of you who missed out on the stress test, here's your chance. (I've made it a sticky so everyone gets an opportunity to hear about it) WoW REALLY is that good, even at this Beta stage. While some features are bound to be changed or adjusted, you will still have a better opportunity to "try it before you buy it" since the Beta's are free.

I will update this post as soon as blizzard goes live with the sign-ups.

EDIT #1:

Rumor has it that Blizzard has set a date. Some of the threads on the WOW forums claim that today, Oct. 11th, will be the start date. An article on Gamespy states the following.

Blizzard has revealed that they will be opening the prevously closed World of Warcraft beta test to the general public this coming Thursday October 14th.

Either way, the time is nearing. Get your redbull and surge ready because funtime is a comin'!

EDIT #2

Well it seems the Open Beta announcemetn was VERY premature. Still no beta and in classic Blizzard fashion no dates are being confirmed or even mentioned. Grrrrr...

EDIT #3

Open beta starting soon!

A quick trip to their website will show you that they now have the open beta client available for download through Flieplanet. Fileplanet subscribers get access to it a week early. :roll: I have the hook up though. Here is a bittorrent link that will get you the latest version of the beta. It's a large download and there are currently few seeds but the more we add the better the downloads will be. I'm still working on getting an account so the game will actually work... Stay tuned...

http://sancus.off.net/wow_open_beta.torrent

Make sure you have bittorrent installed on your PC, otherwise the link won't work. Don't know what that is? Google it.

sweet deal. This is the best thing since Donkey Konga! Imma try this out and if its good then ill sell some stuff and buy it. Wont be able to play it for alittle but i can alternate between ffxi and wow playing when i can

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I still can't believe I only played my stress test beta ONCE. It was awesome, but I never logged on again after th first day.[/quote]

:shock: You have no idea what you missed.

EDIT #1:

Rumor has it that Blizzard has set a date. Some of the threads on the WOW forums claim that today, Oct. 11th, will be the start date. An article on Gamespy states the following.

Blizzard has revealed that they will be opening the prevously closed World of Warcraft beta test to the general public this coming Thursday October 14th.

Either way, the time is nearing. Get your redbull and surge ready because funtime is a comin'!

I'm willing to wager that I'll be at work when they open up the sign-ups for this, and will thus miss my opportunity. Damn office filters.

Is this why we have been seeing less of you daphatty? I want to get in but my computer is so old, even by WOW standards since they have pretty low sys req. 550 mhz with a geforce 2.

Games like these tend to drain your social life away. They're just way to addicting.

Avoid them like the plague if you ever collected anything in your entire life. =D

[quote name='msdmoney']Is this why we have been seeing less of you daphatty? [/quote]

Actually, you can blame college and my new job for that. Only reason why I am here this early is because it's Columbus Day. As you can see, I'm trying to make the most of my free day by lurking here and at the WoW forums. :D

On Topic - Just read an official response to the October 14th rumor from Blizzard. They are looking into the origin of Gamespy's date and claim the date is unlikely since signups have not begun. I'll keep you guys posted.

I have a question, am I too late to sign up for the open beta? Or does it mean the sign up will start soon, like today? Any idea how long it would take to get into beta once you sign up?

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl']what are the min requirements[/quote]

The World of Warcraft beta test has the following requirements:

- Your computer will need a 56K or higher modem with an Internet connection.
- You must have a valid e-mail address.

Windows® System/OS:

- 800 Mhz or higher CPU.
- 256 Megabytes or more of RAM.
- GeForce 2 graphics card or better.
- 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
- DirectX® 9.0 or above.

Mac® System/OS:

- 1.0 GHz or higher, G4 or G5 processor.
- 512 Megabytes RAM or higher. DDR RAM recommended.
- ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 64 MB VRAM or more.
- 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
- MacOS X 10.3 ("Panther") or better.

The beta sign up still has not begun. However, Blizzard just completed a MAJOR update to their signup, web forum, and game servers so I think the sign ups are coming soon. I recommend lurking at the world of warcraft site over the next few days. I know I will be. Shiet, I've been doing just that since they announced the open beta was coming.

[quote name='daphatty']From WorldofWarcraft.com

World of Warcraft Open Beta Sign-ups Coming Soon! - Ordinn on 10/07/04
We are happy to announce that we will soon be accepting applicants for the World of Warcraft® Open Beta Test for North America. The open phase of beta will give people a chance to enter Azeroth and play World of Warcraft before the game is released. More details will become available in the days ahead, so stay tuned.

openbeta.jpg

For those of you who missed out on the stress test, here's your chance. (I've made it a sticky so everyone gets an opportunity to hear about it) WoW REALLY is that good, even at this Beta stage. While some features are bound to be changed or adjusted, you will still have a better opportunity to "try it before you buy it" since the Beta's are free.

I will update this post as soon as blizzard goes live with the sign-ups.

EDIT #1:

Either way, the time is nearing. Get your redbull and surge ready because funtime is a comin'![/quote]

DAMN YOU DAPHATTY! THEY DONT fuckING MAKE SURGE ANYMORE... and you just made me cry reminding me of that HARSH fact... thanks alot! :) but seriously, i might sign up for this.. thanks!

I cant believe this hasn't started yet, I've been watching the main page for almost a year now waiting for this, and the game is due out in less than a month and there hasn't been open beta yet, looks like it might be delayed, or released a buggy mess.

[quote name='xzafixz']I cant believe this hasn't started yet, I've been watching the main page for almost a year now waiting for this, and the game is due out in less than a month and there hasn't been open beta yet, looks like it might be delayed, or released a buggy mess.[/quote]
I don't believe blizzard has ever made any date for the game the ones that come out are all estimated. That said this is blizzard we are talking about the game will come out "when it's ready" like all blizzard titles. I am thinking the open sign ups will be some time in the week with open beta starting on friday tho.

[quote name='daphatty']Yes, but they were debunked shortly after that update. I haven't had a chance to change the title. I'll do it now.[/quote]

What do you mean by "debunked"?

Outpost now lists thier ship date with 11/22. Maybe they have received a firm date? It makes sense with the rumours of the open beta only lasting 1 or 2 weeks.

Open beta starting soon!

A quick trip to their website will show you that they now have the open beta client available for download through Flieplanet. Fileplanet subscribers get access to it a week early. :roll: I have the hook up though. Here is a bittorrent link that will get you the latest version of the beta. It's a large download and there are currently few seeds but the more we add the better the downloads will be. I'm still working on getting an account so the game will actually work... Stay tuned...

http://sancus.off.net/wow_open_beta.torrent

Make sure you have bittorrent installed on your PC, otherwise the link won't work. Don't know what that is? Google it.

I recently just capped 900 KB/S.

As for tips... hmm...

I'm not too familiar with the entire BT clients themselves, as I heard Shareaza was a good BT handler. I haven't tweaked anything at all, though.

Man I wish my client was that detailed. This is all I get...

BTshot.jpg

And I still haven't been able to get more than 30k a second since I started this download...

fuck fuck fuck!!!

I downloaded it 100%, but it says it "Can't Move" in the status bar (moving from Incomplete folder to Downloads folder. Thus, the file doesn't have a filetype).

Oh, whew, I fixed it. Apparently I didn't have any space left on my C drive so, naturally, it couldn't fill up more space.

Well it took me over 15 hours just to download 700MB with that ghetto bittorrent client I was using. I installed shareaza and within 1 hour I have downloaded the same amount of data. Now, all I need to do is get an account...

It's really gotten better since the stress test beta. I ponied up money for fileplanet just so I could get in early on this round. Lvl 12 Mage in 3 days. :)

[quote name='daphatty']It's really gotten better since the stress test beta. I ponied up money for fileplanet just so I could get in early on this round. Lvl 12 Mage in 3 days. :)[/quote]

Nice, I'm a level 8 mage, played for about 4 hours yesterday, was doing pretty well before I decided I was big enough to take on level 11 mobs by myself.

What professions did you choose? I'm probably going to pick tailoring and something else.

Heh, I only played it ONCE and it was funny. Never knew why I am not playing it this very moment!

bread's done
Back