Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

Set in a modern day survival-horror universe, the co-operative gameplay of Left 4 Dead™ casts four "Survivors" in an epic struggle against hordes of swarming zombies and terrifying "Boss Infected" mutants.
The Survivor Co-op Game Mode is played out across four sprawling campaigns, set in urban and rural environments. The team of four Survivors may be comprised of one to four human players, allowing for single player and multiplayer co-op games.
The next-generation A.I. technology of all non-player Survivor and zombie characters is a pool of systems used to procedurally generate a unique experience by monitoring the players' experiences and tailoring the pacing and difficulty of action for each game. This makes for a different experience each time the game is played.
In the Left 4 Dead Vs. Mode, play as a Survivor or as one of four types of "Boss Infected." Each of the "Boss Infected" possesses an exceptional mutant ability -- such as a 50-foot tongue lasso or a giant belly full of explosive methane gas -- instead of traditional firearms.

• Co-op redefined: This new action title from Valve, creators of the Counter-Strike and Half-Life games, promises to redefine the co-operative genre as those titles did for multiplayer and single player action games.
  • A.I. technology: The advanced artificial intelligence drives both friendly and unfriendly creatures to dynamically create intense single-player, co-op, and multiplayer experiences every time the game is played.
  • Expansive environments: Battle across twenty different maps with ten distinct weapons across four sprawling campaigns.
  • Online matchmaking: The matchmaking, stats, rankings, and awards system drive collaborative play.
  • Designer's Commentary mode: Activate this mode for a unique "behind the scenes" look at the development of the game.
Achievements: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/left-4-dead/achievements/

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wxUsGvMfVow[/media]
Fight Together...or Die Alone

A new and highly virulent strain of the rabies virus emerges and spreads through the human population with frightening speed. The pandemic's victims become grotesquely disfigured, widly violent psychopaths, attacking the uninfected on sight. One of the "lucky" few appearently immune to the sickness, you, unfortunately, are also trapped in a city crawling with thousands of the bloodthirsty infected. Alone, you are dead. But together with a handful of fellow survivors, you might just fight your way to safety.

[quote name='Teamxbox.com']Well, today we can confirm that Left 4 Dead is coming to Xbox 360. Why we are so excited about this game? May be because it smells like Counter-Strike and it has tons of zombies.

Developed by Turtle Rock Studios, Left 4 Dead is a co-operative multiplayer first person shooter in which you play as one of up to four people (called “Survivors”), who are immune to a virus that is spreading through the human population. Those infected with the virus have turned into psychopaths, who are weaponless and weak but found in large numbers when they attack.

The twist of Left 4 Dead is that you can also play as an infected, with your goal being to kill the Survivors before they escape the level. When you choose the infected side, you'll become the “Boss Infected”.

Although the Survivors team doesn't have player classes, there are four playable types of Boss Infected: the Boomer, the Hunter, the Smoker, and the Tank.

While playing as a Survivor will have you fighting the Infected hordes, playing as a Boss Infected involves stalking, waiting around a corner, and attack Survivors when they don't expect. As an Infected, you are weak, but you can respawn. The Survivors can not respawn, instead, they can be revived and only three times.

Ultimately, playing Survivor is all about action while playing as an Infected is about tactics. You have to choose the right moment, the right place, and the right way to attack.
[/quote] http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13841/Left-4-Dead-Confirmed-for-Xbox-360/

That trailer was fucking awesome, the concept sounds like it will be tons of fun. Hope this one doesn't disappoint. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my friends telling me about this game and then saw the trailer online. It looks like a promising game. Valve is making it eh....wonder if there will be any puzzles in this game.

Co-op puzzles? fuck no. I got enough of those in Svencoop. Half the maps just ground to a total halt because of idiot puzzles.

[quote name='slickkill77']It will prolly be delayed about 4 years...lol[/QUOTE]
I hear that. See you in late 2008.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']You're in the 360 forum. ;)[/quote]
Yeah, but that looked like the PC version of the game in the 6 minute vio be sure.deo so i just wanted t

[quote name='SynGamer']Yeah, but that looked like the PC version of the game in the 6 minute vio be sure.deo so i just wanted t[/quote]

What the hell? How did that sentence get so messed up? You put the end of the sentence in the middle :whistle2:s

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']What the hell? How did that sentence get so messed up? You put the end of the sentence in the middle :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

I was like WTF!!

that's too fuckin funny.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']What the hell? How did that sentence get so messed up? You put the end of the sentence in the middle :whistle2:s[/quote]

Wireless keyboard battery dying + me not looking = total garbage :p

What it was supposed to say: " Yeah, but that looked like the PC version of the game in the 6 minute video, so i just wanted to make sure."

The one up footage several weeks back was awesome. This video is too dark. The 4 player co-op ideas they have sound very sweet. They're also trying to incorporate a mode where you can go in a play as the bosses in other players campaign. Lots of big ideas = long delays. We'll see what's in the final game, but it looks very promising.

this would have been my game of the summer if it had came out already. i'm still debating whether to get it on PC or 360. if i get it on PC i'll have access to source engine mods, since i never picked up HL2, and i'll also get to play over the internet free. if i get it for the 360 i'll get all the great xbox live stuff, but i'll be dependent on having a live subscription year round if i ever desired to just pick up and play it. i tend to let my live subscription end from time to time when i'm too busy to game on a constant basis.

[quote name='psychobrawler'] Lots of big ideas = long delays. We'll see what's in the final game, but it looks very promising.[/QUOTE]

+1

This is one of those games that will have a development cycle much like Team Fortress 2.

Originality at it's best. They should just make it a tie in with the next "28 ***** Later" movie. Same premise, same virus traits.

Don't get me wrong,it still looks a cool as hell.

4 player co-op? Tons of zombies? Valve?

Count me in.

Here's hoping for some unique killing methods, a-la 28 Days.

Also, this makes me think of how Dead Rising 2 MUST have co-op.

[quote name='MemphisGun']no offense, but this looks like a peice of shit[/quote]

I would correct your spelling, but I'll lay off.
/enter awesomemegadefensivegamermode
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT NOOB! GO BACK CRY TO YOUR MOMMY AND PLAY OVER THE HEDGE!
/exit awesomemegadefensivegamermode

Anyway, It looks awesome. I just can't get enough zombies

[quote name='MemphisGun']no offense, but this looks like a peice of shit[/quote]

Care to back that statement up? Do you not like zombie games? Or perhaps you jsut don't like FPS in general?

New tidbits and oh yeah...exclusive to X360 (and PC):
The new game from the newly-acquired-by-Valve studio Turtle Rock Studios, Left 4 Dead has had a fair bit of press from the PC side of the gaming press, but we've heard relatively little in relation to a console version. Well that's over, as OXM recently revealedany console. that the game will not only be appearing on PCs, but that the 360 version will be the only one appearing on The folks from OXM got to play two scenario's (read: levels) on PC and one level on a 360 dev kit. As a minor point (but a good sign) the names of those levels recall the game's horror roots: "The Hospital" and "Cornfield."

The second part to this news is the identity of the developer who will be handling the 360 port (Valve and Turtle Rock won't be working with it hands-on). That dev is the creator of Halo 2 DLC, Certain Affinity. The 16 man team with former Halo team members will be "handle(ing) 360-specific elements like matchmaking, Live support, console customization, and 360 gameplay tweaks."
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/02/19/left-4-dead-confirmed-console-exclusive-to-360/

I like that the matchmaking system is being handled by the team that worked on Halo (DLC), means that they should know what makes a good matchmaking system.

How is this going to work on a console.

Its gonna be a nightmare with all the people on consoles that don't know what teamwork is, and how to coordinate as a team.

[quote name='MemphisGun']no offense, but this looks like a peice of shit[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that intelligent opinion, we need more users like you.

The only thing that is shitty is the look of your god awful halo 3 armor. Seriously, what were you thinking?!

I've been very excited about this game since day one, but I have my doubts. Convincing three of my friends to buy it could be a chore... I don't have much luck finding non-douchebags via online matchmaking.

[quote name='InuFaye']How is this going to work on a console.

Its gonna be a nightmare with all the people on consoles that don't know what teamwork is, and how to coordinate as a team.[/quote]

...?

It would be a nightmare with random people either way. PC, PS3, 360, whatever. I don't see how being on the 360 would bring the game down, just play with friends and not random kids.

it looks good, and i might pick it up after a price drop, ive never really liked valve's stuff too much, and considering that itll play alot like CS, sorry doesn't really do it for me..i could be wrong! and i hope i am! but once again, just my 2 cents:)
DEAD RISING 2 MUST HAPPEN!!

fucking awesome, I was worried that this game had slipped into development limbo. I just hope they can make a decent singleplayer to go along with the multiplayer stuff. Either way, it's probably a day one purchase for me. Zombies give me terrifying dreams.

[quote name='InuFaye']I dunno game seems tailored for PC, and that's what ill play it on.

Looks fucking sick anyway you put it.[/quote]
Same here. Valve's games are made for PCs, not consoles.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Same here. Valve's games are made for PCs, not consoles.[/QUOTE]

Let's remember Valve ain't developing it.

[quote name='trq']Let's remember Valve ain't developing it.[/quote]
Valve bought the developer of Left 4 Dead, so I now consider it a Valve game.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Same here. Valve's games are made for PCs, not consoles.[/quote]
TF2's absolutely HORRENDOUS lag aside, The Orange Box was a solid title. I don't see why consoles should be denied especially when you have competent developers coding it (at least on 360. I feel bad for the PS3 users with the sketchy framerate)

bread's done
Back