I'm gonna add a little text strip to the top of the pages....

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Totally ripped from www.GameRankings.com (and other sites too, I'm sure) If there aren't too many objections, I'm going to add a small, one line text "banner" to the top of CAG pages.

These spaces are NOT for sale to advertisers, but will serve as a way for me to easily bring promtions/deals to your attention.
It will look like this:

Thanks,
-CD

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Sounds good. :D

Are the banners going to be on the HTML pages only, or will they be on the boards too?[/quote]

If it doesn't look totally retarded, they will be on the boards too...

Will it be at the top of the screen, or the top of the page? Like, if you scroll down, will the banner still be at the top?

It's comforting to know that some companies aren't afraid to work with you because you have the word ASS in your domain. More power to ya, CheapyD !

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Sounds good. :D

Are the banners going to be on the HTML pages only, or will they be on the boards too?[/quote]

If it doesn't look totally retarded, they will be on the boards too...[/quote]

Hmm...random suggestion, but if it's on the boards, could you match the color of the strip to the user's color scheme? I use the black and green one, but the bright green strip wouldn't go well with the black and orange scheme...

[quote name='MegaMan3k']Will it be at the top of the screen, or the top of the page? Like, if you scroll down, will the banner still be at the top?[/quote]

Personally, I think it'd look like crap to not have it scroll with the page. Especially since the site doesn't have any other elements that don't scroll. It's Cheapy's call, though.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']
Hmm...random suggestion, but if it's on the boards, could you match the color of the strip to the user's color scheme? I use the black and green one, but the bright green strip wouldn't go well with the black and orange scheme...[/quote]

Yeah, I think that should be doable.

[quote name='MegaMan3k']Will it be at the top of the screen, or the top of the page? Like, if you scroll down, will the banner still be at the top?[/quote]
Personally, I think it'd look like crap to not have it scroll with the page. Especially since the site doesn't have any other elements that don't scroll. It's Cheapy's call, though.[/quote]
I'm not sure I'm following you.
Are you saying you'd prefer it to always be "in your face"?

Seems fine. If it helps you out and doesn't make the site look crappy, then it should be fine.

Personally, I think it'd look like crap to not have it scroll with the page. Especially since the site doesn't have any other elements that don't scroll. It's Cheapy's call, though.[/quote]
Are you saying you'd prefer it to always be "in your face"?[/quote]

Um...I meant to say that I didn't want it to be "in our faces." Apparently, that's not what I actually did say. Stupid English language... :oops:

Hopefully this doesn't snowball into bigger and more annoying ads (ala GameFAQs), but this place seems to have sanity on their side. I'm good with it if it supports the site...

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='MegaMan3k']Will it be at the top of the screen, or the top of the page? Like, if you scroll down, will the banner still be at the top?[/quote]
Are you saying you'd prefer it to always be "in your face"?[/quote]

Um...I meant to say that I didn't want it to be "in our faces." Apparently, that's not what I actually did say. Stupid English language... :oops:[/quote]

I thought you were going to be begging for screen-crawling javascript ads next. ;)

[quote name='CheapyD']
I thought you were going to be begging for screen-crawling javascript ads next. ;)[/quote]
Oh can we get some of those flash ads that jump out into the middle of your browser? I love those some times I try to click a link and the ad jumps in front of it thats my favorite! [/sarcasm] The text bar seems rather unintrusive I say go for it.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I'm behind it. Everything so far has been unobtrustive, and it's appreciated.[/quote]

indeed

The ads on gamerankings are REALLY small, I hadn't even noticed them until i actually looked for them. I am in no position to say what is good or bad for the site, but as long as you don't put up ads like IGN and the like where i have to click through an ad to get to the site I will still come here.

Don't think of this as ads...think of it as CheapyD's "Shout Box". If you don't like the term shout box, how about "Yell Wagon"?

I'm cool with it. As mentioned before though, please don't go the route of flash ads or pop ups. I'd almost deal with pop ups over those damn flash ads...

[quote name='WeaponX2099']It seems alright. But please never allow voice ads.[/quote]

oh yea, i got so freaked out when there was the ad of a woman talking...

i was like "WTF??!!!" :lol:

[quote name='swetooth9'][quote name='WeaponX2099']It seems alright. But please never allow voice ads.[/quote]

oh yea, i got so freaked out when there was the ad of a woman talking...

i was like "WTF??!!!" :lol:[/quote]

This reminds me of the Conan bit where he unveils new state quarters and they had "Arkansas: The S is silent, just like our women." Just thought I'd share.

[quote name='CheapyD']Don't think of this as ads...think of it as CheapyD's "Shout Box". If you don't like the term shout box, how about "Yell Wagon"?[/quote]

You should add "Yell Wagon" to the ad in the strip. It'd be a great prefix. "CheapyD's Yell Wagon says..." :D

In other news, I've posted far too many times in this thread. Just thought that I'd point that out.

[quote name='CheapyD']I got it up on the front page, will be up on the forums later.[/quote]

I must say Cheapy, that is the coolest damn thing ever. Thanks. :wink:

EDIT: Heh. Yell Wagon. Classic.

Lee: I'm gonna paint this wagon,
I'm gonna paint it fine,
I'm going to use oil-based paint
because this wood is pine.
Women: Ponderosa Pine!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the "coolest damn thing ever..." but it fits in with the scheme, and isn't obnoxious. Works for me.[/quote]

It's simply the gratification of seeing my name up there. :lol:

Great idea. it seems like it will be more helpful than anything, shouldn't cause any problems because it's just a frame at the top of the page.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']Cool, cheapy. It looks ok... but yes, please don't ever use voice ads, animated ads, or even worse, both. x_x[/quote]

PLEASE NEVER DO THAT!! My favorite GUTIAR TAB website now uses those. so while i'm trying to play a song, have the song on and reading tabs i hear, "that's right, with cold-heat you can solder almost anything and it's still safe to the touch, that's becuase with our smart technology...." Television is for infomercials not the internet

It's small, not really noticeable and easy to deal with.

I'm OK with that, and I'm a huge critic of crappy page design. Looks good.

looks good, one thing id like to see though, is alot of variation in what kind of ads are up their, possibly even somthign that changes every time you vist the page.

bread's done
Back