In this topic, we discuss Asian action movies!!

RiCeBo1

CAGiversary!
Currently watching SPL for the second time, great ass movie. What's everyones favorite A.A.M.?

[quote name='Chacrana']aaahahahahah. That is funny.

Oh, and probably Versus.[/QUOTE]
I've been trying to rent that movie, but Blockbuster Total Access always runs out. Easiest way to watch it?

Battle Royale... that was an interesting movie... a little fucked up... actually, a lot fucked up. Didn't think it was particularly well executed though... felt kinda shoddy the whole way through.

[quote name='Gameboy415']I recommend:
Battle Royale (1 & 2, but 1 is far superior)
Casshern
Returner
Shinobi[/QUOTE]
Shinobi? Whaaaat?

BR 1 was kinda...meh. Wasn't as violent as I thought it was going to be lol, but it was still a good movie. As for BR 2? I'll pass.

I enjoyed BR1. I enjoyed the book much more, but it was still an enjoyable movie, I thought.

I need to see BR2, just for completion's sake.

I haven't finished the Returner but I liked what I saw of it. I recently watched one called Naked Weapon because it has Maggie Q from MI3 and Die Hard. Pretty good! :D

There was one guy who kept telling me to watch Volcano High. No idea if it's good though since I never listened to him...

I gotta recommend anything with Jet Li from the 90s.
Wong Fei Hung is easily the greatest series of action movies ever.

[quote name='Chacrana']There was one guy who kept telling me to watch Volcano High. No idea if it's good though since I never listened to him...[/quote]

Wasn't Volcano High that movie with the rappers that dubbed it?

[quote name='CouRageouS']I haven't finished the Returner but I liked what I saw of it. I recently watched one called Naked Weapon because it has Maggie Q from MI3 and Die Hard. Pretty good! :D[/QUOTE]
Oh yes, Naked Weapon :D The girls in that movie are extremely fine.

Anyways, I gotta recommend Fatal Contact, starring that blondish spiked hair guy with the knives in SPL. It's like the asian Fight Club, minus the comedy and more action.

[quote name='fart_bubble']yep and the movie sucks[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about the original Korean version or whatever... I heard there was some shitty MTV version too though.

I found any of John Woo's early movies (pre- face off) to be very good. Hard Boiled is still one of his best.

Like what has been said, BR is always fun in a fucked up kind of way.

Hardboiled, The Killer, Exiled, The Protector AKA Tom Yum Goong, and Ong Bak. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Oldboy is a fucking masterpiece.

I also think that this thread's scope should be broadened to include all Asian movies, so that it will be open to more people.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Oldboy is a fucking masterpiece.

I also think that this thread's scope should be broadened to include all Asian movies, so that it will be open to more people.[/QUOTE]

Old Boy is a given. Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are great too, though not as good as Old Boy.

[quote name='Apossum']Old Boy is a given. Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are great too, though not as good as Old Boy.[/QUOTE]I've yet to see those, sadly. What order should I watch them in?

[quote name='Liquid 2']I've yet to see those, sadly. What order should I watch them in?[/quote]

It doesn't matter as they have no string to tie the stories together (beyond the theme of Revenge). If you check out Lady Vengence, make sure you get the Korean deluxe edition as on the second disc has a special Fade To Black & White version of the film that makes it a hell of a lot more enjoyable

Watch that Korean War Movie. I think the title was called Brotherhood of War/Tak Gui. If you like saving private Ryan, you would like this movie too. Other recommendations I suggest watching are Attack of the Gas Station, Shaolin Temple 1, 2 ,3, Police Story Trilogy, and Sex is Zero (not action, but a funny as comedy movie).

[quote name='fart_bubble']It doesn't matter as they have no string to tie the stories together (beyond the theme of Revenge). If you check out Lady Vengence, make sure you get the Korean deluxe edition as on the second disc has a special Fade To Black & White version of the film that makes it a hell of a lot more enjoyable[/QUOTE]Ah, I thought they were all inter-related. The Korean DVD has English subtitles, right? And what is this "fade to black & white" version? Just a B&W version of the same film?

[quote name='Liquid 2']Ah, I thought they were all inter-related. The Korean DVD has English subtitles, right? And what is this "fade to black & white" version? Just a B&W version of the same film?[/quote]

Yeah, there is english subs (the only area that really doesn't include subs are from Japan). The Fade To Black & White version is what he really wanted the film to be but the company wouldn't let him release it like that. It starts off in color but as the movie goes on, it starts to drain out of the film and at the end you get a black and white film. Its about how the film starts off with different shades of right and wrong but as it goes along and the revenge aspect builds up, right and wrong doesn't matter, just revenge. IMO, its a marvelous thing and it makes the film more enjoyable (frankly, I didn't find the theatrical version to be good but this version saved it to me and opens it to another aspect)

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm talking about the original Korean version or whatever... I heard there was some shitty MTV version too though.[/QUOTE]I loved Volcano High; it's like a live action anime. I have the DVD, but still haven't watched the rapper-dubbed version yet.

I generally stick to HK flicks for Asian action, but I haven't watched any recent movies in years :\ My favorites are Hard-Boiled, anything with Jackie Chan (my favorite is Drunken Master 2), and I greatly enjoy Tony Jaa's stuff too.

Well, for all of you PS3 owners that like Hard Boiled (it's included on the same Blu Ray Disc as the game) it will be apart of the Collector's Edition of Stranglehold when it comes out in August.

I also liked the Korean Version of Volcano High which I own on DVD which is on the same DVD as the MTV version.

I watched The City of Violence at the New York City Asian Film Festival and it was awesome.

It's a Korean martial arts action film, but it was slick and cool as hell and the best film, most fun film I saw at the entire festival. The story revolves around this cop who returns to his hometown after finding out that his friend got killed. While checking it out, he teams up with his other friend and starts wrecking havoc trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

It has a decidedly Streets of Rage flavor to it (although not completely). Very, very fun movie!

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SeRV4V5n3xs[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Chacrana']aaahahahahah. That is funny.

Oh, and probably Versus.[/QUOTE]

I couldnt sit through that movie, which rarely happens.

I will try a couple other suggestions that I see here. Always need more to add to my BB-Q.
I always love the old Jackie Chan movies, Operation Condor is my fav!

^^I watched SuperCop the other day since it was one of the free OnDemand movies. You gotta love the obligatory train scene and helicopter getaway!

This thread is great. Keep the suggestions coming in!

Ah Asian movies,all try not to mention things previously mentioned or blatantly obvious choices...
Bittersweet Life,an awesome Korean action/mafia movie.
Survive Style 5+ a crazy Japanese movie.
Azumi (like a life action samurai/ninja anime.
Fulltime Killer(HK)( has alot of homage to action movies... Leon,Desperado, Point Break),
My Wife is a Gangster 1 ... a pretty funny Korean Comedy/action movie
The Young And Dangerous series. Many more but all stop with those.
As for Martial Arts movies, We all know you really can't go wrong with Jackie Chan some of his best( Project A, Snake in Eagle shadow,Dragons Forever), but don't forget his partners Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao ( Prodigal Son, Warriors Two, Knockabout, Magnificent Butcher, Pedicab Driver..and many more) Shaw Bros. movies with the 5 Venoms( Crippled Avengers, 2 Champions of Shaolin) For Jet Li The China Trilogy(part 2 with Jet Li and Donnie yen is Amazing) and Fist Of Legend

Exiled is another film that I saw at the festival and other than the City of Violence, the movie was amazing. The soundtrack was especially great! It was almost like a modern day Chinese gangter spagetti western.

This was by the director of Infernal Affairs which got remade as the American film The Departed. It was so excellent!

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTawPQ_0nvo[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Zen Davis']Exiled is another film that I saw at the festival and other than the City of Violence, the movie was amazing. The soundtrack was especially great! It was almost like a modern day Chinese gangter spagetti western.

This was by the director of Infernal Affairs which got remade as the American film The Departed. It was so excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTawPQ_0nvo[/quote]

If you liked Exiled, watch The Mission. It's so much better.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']If you liked Exiled, watch The Mission. It's so much better.[/quote]
I've seen both and I enjoyed Exiled much more.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Oldboy I also think that this thread's scope should be broadened to include all Asian movies, so that it will be open to more people.[/QUOTE]
Then this thread will be clogged up with every single genre and we wouldn't know what to watch :lol:

Anyways, what are some of Donnie Yen's newest movies? Guy's moves are quick and amazing!

I saw an old Japanese Gangster movie called "Sympathy for the Underdog". Pretty compelling stuff. Plus it's set partially in Okinawa, my former home from 2003-2004 so that was interesting to see.

Other than that, Ong-Bak and The Protector are mind blowing. Tony Jaa is a god.

Battle Royale, Versus, and Hard Boiled are some of my favorite Asian action flicks. Then there's all kinds of excellent classic material, especially from Kurosawa. I'm talking Ran, Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, Heaven and Hell, etc.

[quote name='thespamofpower']I found any of John Woo's early movies (pre- face off) to be very good. Hard Boiled is still one of his best.
[/QUOTE]

Not all pre-Face/Off Woo is good. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of pre-Face/Off Woo was Broken Arrow. As much as everyone wants to rag on Woo's work with MI:2 (or how "terrible" it was), I am always surprised that people forget what a flaming pile of turd Broken Arrow was. I'll take MI:2 over Broken Arrow anyday.

I really liked Hard Target, which was Woo's first entry in U.S action movie cinema. I don't like a majority of Van Damme films, but this movie was enjoyable. It had a lot of great action scenes (as well as some cool and goofy characters). If it wasn't edited to hell and Woo had more control over it, Hard Target probably would've been a lot better.

Face/Off, IMO, felt like a Woo film made in the U.S where he actually had creative control. Though the film did have a crazy premise ("I want to take his face.....off"), compared to his previous work in the U.S, felt like it contained the most trademark Woo style since his Chinese film-making days. Everything from the doves (used in a non-silly scene thankfully), the mexican stand-off's, mirrors, boat chases, etc etc, was there and nicely done. Though not nearly as good as his classics such as Hard Boiled and The Killer (though what action film is?) it felt the most like a Chinese action film with American actors.

Back on topic, I haven't seen a lot of Asian action films as of late. Pretty much have been sticking by my old stand-bys.

The Killer
Hard Boiled (just showed this to three friends yesterday. they loved it)
A Better Tomorrow
A Better Tomorrow 2 (terrible plot. worth it for the action scenes/body count)
Iron Monkey (original cut)
Fong Sai Yuk 1/2 (great mix of solid choreography/comedy)
36th Chamber of Shaolin (any respectable kung-fun fan has seen this)
Versus (slow paced, but worth it for the mish-mash of genres)

S.P.L (Sha Po Lang) has to be my newest/latest recommendation. The so-so plot aside, the action scenes are great in this film. Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung are great in this film. I also do have to mention that Jackie Wu's is quite impressive in this film and I look forward to seeing him in more action flicks.

Did I mention I'm a huge John Woo fan? :)

I haven't seen a Stephen Chow mention yet. Tho his movies are on the action/comedy side of things, they are must-watch movies imo. The two big ones are Shaolin Soccer & Kung-Fu Hustle, tho I watched one of his earlier ones recently, King Of Comedy, that was just as good (even tho it had possibly the most f'd up scene I've ever seen in a movie).

[quote name='argyle']I haven't seen a Stephen Chow mention yet. Tho his movies are on the action/comedy side of things, they are must-watch movies imo. The two big ones are Shaolin Soccer & Kung-Fu Hustle, tho I watched one of his earlier ones recently, King Of Comedy, that was just as good (even tho it had possibly the most f'd up scene I've ever seen in a movie).[/quote]Speaking of, are there any recommendations out there for those kind of movies? I absolutely loved Shaolin Soccer. And any news on these titles releasing on HD or BD? I'm guessing not, since they're smaller studios, but I haven't been following.

Since we are on this subject.
Has anyone seen Restless?
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaL-n6VLgZ4[/MEDIA]

It stars the guy from Musa, another damn good korean flick.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Speaking of, are there any recommendations out there for those kind of movies? I absolutely loved Shaolin Soccer. And any news on these titles releasing on HD or BD? I'm guessing not, since they're smaller studios, but I haven't been following.[/QUOTE]

There's a few out there. You can check out Arahan (Korean) or some older Stephen Chow stuff but it might get lost in translation because lots of the jokes are based on Cantonese wordplay.

Also, I think everyone here should visit this site for free Asian movies.
http://aznv.tv/en/

All you have to do is sign up and you can watch movies/tv series streamed through winamp.
It's got the latest movies subbed in English.

[quote name='RiCeBo1'][quote name='Chacrana']Oh, and probably Versus.[/quote]I've been trying to rent that movie, but Blockbuster Total Access always runs out. Easiest way to watch it?[/quote] I'm with levi333 on the movie. I couldn't finish it either. I got about half way through and couldn't take it anymore.

I wouldn't go out of my way (or pay) to see it if I were you.

bread's done
Back