PS3 Guitar Hero 3 Guitar backwards compatible with PS2 titles?

Gameboy415

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Hey gang, just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me:

Can the new (PS3 specific) Guitar Hero 3 guitar be used with Guitar Hero 1, 2, and 80's games for PS2 (being played on a PS3)?

I've been playing GuitarFreaks over here in Japan on my Japanese PS2 and I'm dying to play the Guitar Hero games, but the current guitar controllers don't seem to be compatible with PS3. I figure this new controller potentially could fix that.

Has anyone heard anything about backwards compatibility?

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']They will be making changes to the fret buttons. I don't see how it could be b/c.

http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/23/guitar-hero-3-details-announced/[/QUOTE]
Huh? All this says is that the fret button colors can be changed. They have already made GH2 guitars for 360. So the GH3 guitar can't be too different, controlwise.

I'm thinking they will be compatible. There's really no commercial reason for them to be incompatible.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']They will be making changes to the fret buttons. I don't see how it could be b/c.

http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/23/guitar-hero-3-details-announced/[/quote]
That's nearly two months old news, have you seen the guitars that were revealed this week? The only difference is that color is around the edges of the fret button instead of the whole fret button being green or whatever, so nothing has really changed.

I imagine that if the sixaxis works with PS2 games, it'd only make sense for the GH3 controller to work with the PS2 Guitar Hero games as well. Then again, I may not be understanding technical intricacies or stupid licensing issues that always seem to prevent logical things like this from working...

Ok, sorry guys. I had heard about new button colors, but I made a mistake.

"The new color button design will definitely not affect the actual game play," Red Octane's Brian Lam told Destructoid. "Rather it is merely for a more authentic rock look and feel, and the SG and X-Plorer guitars will still work with their specific platform for the next Guitar Hero title."

http://www.destructoid.com/crisis-a...ro-won-t-require-a-new-peripheral-31753.phtml

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Ok, sorry guys. I had heard about new button colors, but I made a mistake.

"The new color button design will definitely not affect the actual game play," Red Octane's Brian Lam told Destructoid. "Rather it is merely for a more authentic rock look and feel, and the SG and X-Plorer guitars will still work with their specific platform for the next Guitar Hero title."

http://www.destructoid.com/crisis-averted-third-guitar-hero-won-t-require-a-new-peripheral-31753.phtml[/quote]
How about you stop posting two month old news and get to this month's news?

yeah im also picking a ps3/ps2 thingy i heard from a few people fro m forms sayin g that if u put it on normal when u start the game up everything but hard isnt laggy but hard 1-2 seconds off so im just playing easy and mid
and that should hold me of with out breaking the ps3/ps2 adp from being pissed off...(hopfully) a nd the gh3 gits look pretty sweet but black is always the best white is tooooo bright

[quote name='mr ryles']I don't think this helps your problem but this allows for your PS2 guitar hero guitar to be used on the PS3.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802566

I think I will order one of them when the 80's edition comes out. This is good for me as I sold my ps2 when I got a ps3. So I still have the guitar hero games but no way to play them. This will fix that.[/QUOTE]
Why do people keep linking to the product without reading the reviews? It doesn't work so well.

hey I know this doesn't have to do with the PS3 version of guitar hero 3 but I just got the 80's edition and it works with the PS3. It's not perfect actually you need and adapter of course and if that adapter worked on GH 1 then it will work the same as on the 80's. Like on mine the whammy bar doesn't work and the fret is upsidedown but other than that everything works great.

I'm kind of bummed to be a bearer of bad news but I came across this in the official Rock Band forums. This was posted by a user named Shoeless:

[quote name='shoeless']

Just a quick update for those who made the leap from the PS2 to PS3. After asking around the Guitar Hero forums, I got referred by an Admin to thread asking a similar question about Guitar Hero III's PS3 controller working with past Guitar Hero games. This is the answer I got back:

Quote:
To answer your question, the GH3 controller has been tested for the following:

GH1 (PS2) - 100% functionality
GH2 (PS2) - partial functionality
GH Encore (PS2) - partial functionality

You definitely want to keep your PS2 around in order to play some of the GH titles.
So there you have it. Even Neversoft/Red Octane haven't licked it completely.[/quote]

I'm still holding out hope though. My plan is to buy GH3 for ps3 and Rock Band for 360(for online reasons). With my luck, watch the Rock Band ps3 guitar be backwards compatible with all the ps2 gh games lol.

[quote name='pete5883']Why do people keep linking to the product without reading the reviews? It doesn't work so well.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Pelican PS2/PS3 Adapter in a nutshell:

-2-D/3-D fighting games= amazing
-Guitar Hero= craptastic

Anyone heard any news?

I plan to buy both Guitar Hero III and Rock Band for PS3 and, if the guitar(s) are backwards compatible, I'd love to play through Guitar Hero I/II/80's too.

Why couldn't the PS3 have a PS2 controller slot! X(

It has 0% backwards compatability as of the moment. The dongle will not even connect the guitar when GH1, GH2 or GH2:80s is put in (yes I have the ps3 version so this is per my experience)

However, this is something a simple software update can fix. The buttons are the same as they have always been. However, Sony is lazy and I wouldn't expect any software updates for at least a month.

As stated in the other thread, this is not an issue with Sony, it's a Red Octane problem. Red Octane has limited what guitars would work with GH because they wanted everybody to buy first party guitars. 3rd party guitars that worked with GH didn't work for GHII without an adapter. Harmonix has been saying for months that we can use the GHIII Les Paul for Rock Band, but whether or not we could use Rock Band's Strat was up to Red Octane. Much like what they've done in the past, Red Octane will not allow the use of the Strat on GHIII or any of the older titles.

Is there any chance the ROCK BAND guitar will work with the PS2 games??

This is getting ridiculous.
I might be returning the PS2 Guitar Hero games I have waiting for me in the States come Christmas time. :cry:

I don't get it...wouldn't Red Octane/Activision make MORE MONEY by allowing the guitar to work with GH1/2/80's for PS2 on PS3? People would buy the older games that never had PS2's. This HAS to be addressed soon via a software update. I am sure I am not the only one that has a fucking PS2 sitting around just for the original GH games.

bread's done
Back