Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution for Wii - Shelved

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Got an email from 2K about their E3 lineup and it seems that they're bringing the Civ series to the consoles:

Sid Meier's Civilization(r) Revolution(tm)

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution will be the first offering in the legendary Civilization(r) series to appear on next generation consoles and handheld systems. In development by legendary designer Sid Meier and Firaxis Games(tm), this game will deliver Civilization's renowned epic single-player campaigns featuring vast re-playability and unmatched addictive gameplay. In addition, with revolutionary features like real-time interaction with leaders and advisors, extensive multiplayer capabilities and integrated video and voice chat, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution will completely transport the Civilization series to a level of gameplay that fans have never seen before.

Developer: Firaxis Games, a 2K studio

Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo's Wii, and Nintendo DS

Available: Spring 2008 for the Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and DS and fall
2008 for the Wii
Unfortunately, it won't be out for quite a long while.

You'd think that with the invention of a point and click interface for console gaming, developers would have had more foresight.

I'm so glad this is coming to Wii. I played the hell out of the original Civ on the PC. It's still one of my favorite games. Gonna be a long wait...

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/05/firaxis-cites-graphics-controls-behind-shelving-of-civrev-for-w/

It's been cancelled, or at the very least put on hold.

The reasoning behind why Civilization Revolution for the Wii was put on hold is likely symptomatic of the machine's surprise success, as Lewis notes that the Wii SKU was added as an afterthought once the world became wise to the console's runaway popularity. The project, as it turns out, was originally just PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 bound, and without a PS2 or PSP version from which to draw art assets "a great deal of work" would have been required to create entirely new graphics for the Wii version alone. Other issues, such as having to shoehorn the game's controls onto the Wii remote only compounded difficulties. Added Lewis: "If we had started the project with all four platforms in mind, it is far more likely that we would not have put the Wii version of CivRev on hold."

This highlights an unfortunate reality when it comes to the Wii, as studios' are quick to cash in on the console's success, provided the amount of work to do so is minimal, something that doesn't exactly paint a rosy picture for Wii game development once developers begin to turn their back on the previous generation. However, Lewis noted that if Civilization Revolution performs well at retail for the existing SKUs, namely the PS3, Xbox 360, and DS, a version released for the Wii "will be more likely."

It's exactly what the article says, though... the Wii is going to have a tough go of it from here on out. Just wait until PS2 development stops and the Wii release calendar gets cut in half.

Until people decide to not be lazy, this sort of thing will happen constantly, until we finally get rid of the PS2 and developers will essentially be put into two camps: Wii and PS3/360. Unfortunately, I forsee many of the talented ones ending up in the latter group, giving the Wii a shortened life.

I love the Wii, I really do, but this is indicative of exactly where it's headed.

Ugh. I can't understand why so many developers are treating the Wii as an afterthought. You would figure with the success the Wii has experienced in it's first year of life would entice developers to put some effort into it.

[quote name='007']Just wait until PS2 development stops and the Wii release calendar gets cut in half.[/QUOTE]

Good! At least then all the shit will be developed exclusively for Wii instead of being shit AND rehashed.

[quote name='snipegod']Good! At least then all the shit will be developed exclusively for Wii instead of being shit AND rehashed.[/QUOTE]

A good point. Hopefully it becomes true.

[quote name='007']It's exactly what the article says, though... the Wii is going to have a tough go of it from here on out.[/quote]
Actually, I expect the opposite -- Civ had a problem because the Wii version was a last-minute "OMG Nintendo is on fire greenlight a Wii version ASAP!" rush job that came in after the XBox 360 and PS3 versions were already deep into development.

But now that the Wii is a bona fide success, anyone trying to start a new project today with intent of developing it for the Wii will design it with Wii-portability in mind, and thus avoid the problem that Civilization had.

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Actually, I expect the opposite -- Civ had a problem because the Wii version was a last-minute "OMG Nintendo is on fire greenlight a Wii version ASAP!" rush job that came in after the XBox 360 and PS3 versions were already deep into development.

But now that the Wii is a bona fide success, anyone trying to start a new project today with intent of developing it for the Wii will design it with Wii-portability in mind, and thus avoid the problem that Civilization had.

--R.J.[/quote]
The point I was trying to make was that this, though different because of the timeframe, is simply indicative of where the Wii is headed.

Sure, I want to think it's going to be all green hills and bright pastures from here on out, but that's just not realistic. The article said that Civ was going to go to the Wii because it was hot, and then they realized how much time and effort it would take. My point was how long is it going to take before publishers and developers HAVE to pick a direction? Last gen was easy, everything was pretty similar, so it didn't take nearly as much to port something. The Wii, however, once PS2 development dries up will demand basically an entirely different team to do. So, as was the case with Civ, do you really put the time and effort behind it, or simply go with the 360/PS3?

A good example of this is Ghostbusters. We've got a photorealistic 360/PS3 version, and a cartoonish PS2/Wii version. Two entirely seperate teams working on two entirely seperate games for the same licence. The question there is... if there wasn't still a large PS2 base, would the cartoon version even be happening? Or, on the other hand, if that same PS2 base DIDN'T exist and we still got a Wii version, would it have been radically different since it wouldn't be hampered by the PS2?

Like some above posters said, I'd like to believe that when PS2 development stops, we'll get good games from dedicated developers for the Wii. What about the bargain basement devs, though? They'll still be there, though, since it will ALWAYS be cheaper and more profitable to shovel crap out for the Wii.

We're still going to get crap, the only difference is that maybe, just maybe, we'll finally get games developed specifically for the Wii, and not just bastardized versions of something else (I'm looking at you, Soul Calibur Legends).

So, in essence, I'm not sure that what you're saying about beginning to develop NOW with the Wii in mind will have much bearing for multi-platform games, unless publishers want to shell out extra money for work on a completely different game. That's the point... you'll never be able to port the work you're doing for a 360/PS3 game to the Wii (vice versa) without severe changes, so even without the PS2 it's basically going to require an entirely different version. The Wii will still get some great games specifically designed for it (like No More Heroes), but I think with this gen the entire concept of 'multi-platform' will generally simply refer only to 360/PS3.

[quote name='007']Sure, I want to think it's going to be all green hills and bright pastures from here on out, but that's just not realistic.[/quote]
I think it's very realistic; the system with the largest install base gets the lion's share of the games. This has held true ever since the Atari VCS first rolled off the assembly line, and there's no reason to expect it not to be true now. Publishers love money and hate bankruptcy.

[quote name='007']My point was how long is it going to take before publishers and developers HAVE to pick a direction?[/quote]
They've already picked them six months ago. Anyone proposing a new game that doesn't have a Wii version in some way, shape, or form has a lot of explaining to do to shareholders -- especially with the Wii's lower development costs, larger install base, and higher ROI.

[quote name='007']A good example of this is Ghostbusters. We've got a photorealistic 360/PS3 version, and a cartoonish PS2/Wii version. Two entirely seperate teams working on two entirely seperate games for the same licence. The question there is... if there wasn't still a large PS2 base, would the cartoon version even be happening?[/quote]
I'd put the odds at 50-50, myself. But the implication that the only reason Ghostbusters Wii exists is because there's a PS2 version is a false one; the developers have already said that the Wii is the lead platform for that game, and the PS2 will be a port. Ditto for the Wii/PS2 version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Boogie, and other titles -- Wii version first, other platforms second.

The decline of the PS2 (which won't happen for quite some time) will have no effect on the Wii's library; just because Civilization was a rushed port that failed doesn't indicate a trend for the entire industry.

[quote name='007']We're still going to get crap, the only difference is that maybe, just maybe, we'll finally get games developed specifically for the Wii, and not just bastardized versions of something else (I'm looking at you, Soul Calibur Legends).[/quote]
By an amazing coincidence, I've been reading in the last 24 hours about a number of new Wii-exclusive, Wii-only games coming out soon: Boom Blox (by Steven Spielberg), Band Mashups, and Major-Minor's Majestic March (from the folks behind Paraappa The Rapper).

[quote name='007']That's the point... you'll never be able to port the work you're doing for a 360/PS3 game to the Wii (vice versa) without severe changes[/quote]
Waitasecond, I thought you didn't want "bastardized versions of something else"?

Anyway... the idea that "you'll never be able to port the work" is true only if your programmers are a bunch of green graduates from DeVry. If you establish a goal from the beginning of creating a cross-platform Wii/XBox 360/PS3 game, then everything you develop will have cross-platform portability in mind -- cross-platform art, cross-platform code, cross-platform functionality...

Hell, the Joystiq article even admits the same thing: "If we had started the project with all four platforms in mind, it is far more likely that we would not have put the Wii version of CivRev on hold."

[quote name='007']The Wii will still get some great games specifically designed for it (like No More Heroes), but I think with this gen the entire concept of 'multi-platform' will generally simply refer only to 360/PS3.[/QUOTE]
See above.

--R.J.

bread's done
Back