PSP Slim Redesign

PyroGamer

Banned
Just announced.

TV output, better battery.

33% lighter (wonder if it will be light enough, PSP now is damn heavy, IMO)

Comes in multiple colours.

$200

Saw it on G4. What a load of meh.

I would hardly call "ice silver" and the limited Star Wars Battlefront white with Vader in black much of a color choice -- which btw are part of their push with new PSP Entertainment Packs.

The new ent pack will be 199.99 in September and comes with a 1GB MSPD stick, Daxter , and Family Guy Freak'n Sweet Collection UMD.

Not too bad, but not as evolutionary as the rumor discussion in the other thread.

Just the fact it has a TV Output makes it a must buy for me, it's about time someone made a portable that can be played on your home tv.

Actually I am glad. This means I can happily keep my PSP with feeling like a need the new one.

TV out is cool, I guess. But I got a PSP so I could play console-leveling gaming while my wife watches TV. I have other systems for the big screen experience.

OMG! I am all over this. Hey, it might not be everything you could want, but it will definately motivate me to finally buy one and just in time for FFTactics remake!

Video output has never been a feature I care to have. I'm playing a portable system so it can be played whenever and wherever without needing to hook it up to the TV.

It's good for some I guess, but it seemed silly that Sony highlighted the sharing of photos. Um, yeah... leave the mem stick in your camera and hook that up to the TV if you really want to share. At least with that you can also snap photos too, unlike the PSP.

Probably the best news out of this announcement is that we can stop talking about the freaking rumors all over the net.

I've wanted TV out since the original Game Boy (couldn't convince the parents to buy me a Super Gameboy adaptor for the SNES). Only problem I see could be resolution. These games are designed for a widescreen, but tiny as hell portable screen. Expand them to a TV....jaggy. Case in point: The GTA Stories games on PS2. Not horrible looking, but look much better on PSP (or at least the expectations for a PSP game aren't that high).

advantage of tv out is that i could hopefully hook up to a tv when traveling, i.e. hotel, etc, i doubt i would use the feature much at home.

also, i wonder if they could not just add that feature to the current psp via firmware update? looked like the cable just plugged into the headphone/com jack??

also, what is the price for the black redesign?

internal memory would have been nice, but if the price is good, the d-pad is a little better, and i can get a reasonable trade for my current psp, i may take the jump.

tv out is a nice feature, but the 200 dollar price just kills this. nintendo didnt release the dsl for 150, why would sony jack the price up again. stupid stupid stupid.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']nintendo didnt release the dsl for 150, why would sony jack the price up again. stupid stupid stupid.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the DS Lite launched at $129.99.

Anyway, it's all down to the battery. If the improvement is substantial, I'm in. If it's still too short to take on anything more than my work commute, pass.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']tv out is a nice feature, but the 200 dollar price just kills this. nintendo didnt release the dsl for 150, why would sony jack the price up again. stupid stupid stupid.[/QUOTE]

Your rite, how stupid to be in business to make a profit or at least break even. Never considered the practice to be very ethical.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']tv out is a nice feature, but the 200 dollar price just kills this. nintendo didnt release the dsl for 150, why would sony jack the price up again. stupid stupid stupid.[/quote]

Not necessarily. I'm a cheapassgamer, and I've been against the PSP for quite awhile. Now, with these new features, I'm going to buy one. I'm willing to spend a little extra for the features that probably should have been worked out before they launched the system. I'm sure their are quite a few gamers like me who are very excited about this and will be ready to buy one when they are released this fall. smart, smart, smart ;)

Two Benjis is for the Entertainment Pack. They didn't really address just buying the updated PSP by itself.

It may be that the revision/new color is only available as a bundle. Sucks if you already have a mem stick, Daxter, and FG UMD. Still cheaper than buying separately for just the 169.99 handheld. Sell the rest.

[quote name='trq']Actually, the DS Lite launched at $129.99.
[/quote]

i know...

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Your rite, how stupid to be in business to make a profit or at least break even. Never considered the practice to be very ethical.[/quote]

were talking about a portable market where sony is already getting their ass handed to them in sales. they are willing to drop the price of the ps3 100 dollars, but not willing to maintain their current price for the psp. cmon.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Not necessarily. I'm a cheapassgamer, and I've been against the PSP for quite awhile. Now, with these new features, I'm going to buy one. I'm willing to spend a little extra for the features that probably should have been worked out before they launched the system. I'm sure their are quite a few gamers like me who are very excited about this and will be ready to buy one when they are released this fall. smart, smart, smart ;)[/quote]

uhhh what? if youre a cag how can you be excited about these minimal improvments and a price hike?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']
uhhh what? if youre a cag how can you be excited about these minimal improvments and a price hike?[/quote]

I agree with this guy.

At the very least, they should have swapped the location of the d-pad and analog stick.

I wish they did something more with the Star Wars themed PSP. I'm a huge SW fan, but that ice silver one looks so sweet. And still no on board memory or second analog :cry: .

The way one can stream things from your PC thru the PS3 and onto the PSP and then onto a TV is crazy!

I remember months ago there was a thread about PSP upgrades and I said a video out because that was what all my customers asked about. I would like to see if the screen is still LCD and how much longer the battery life last. Not to wild about the entertainment pack but that is just for the holiday I supose. Wonder how much the cable will cost and what kind of output options there are?

I take back what I said about the price as the OP didnt mention this...

Two bundles were announced for the new portable for North America. The first, titled "The PSP entertainment pack for North America," includes the silver PSP, a copy of the Daxter game, a 1GB memory stick Duo, and a Family Guy collection UMD. The second is the new Star Wars Battlefront PSP pack, which will include the Star Wars: Battlefront Renegade Squadron game and the special Star Wars PSP. Both will cost $199.99.

I will say, that I don't want a bundle either, hopefully they will sell the redesign on its own right out of the gate.

uhhh what? if youre a cag how can you be excited about these minimal improvments and a price hike?

I'm saying that I was put off by the steep $250 price tag when the system initially launched. As time went on I became discouraged with the problems that plagued the system so I decided to wait for a redesign. I wouldn't mind paying $200 for just this new system. Fortunately for me, they are also including a 1gig mem stick, Daxter, and Family Guy umd. This is certainly enough to justify the $200 in my opinion.

Doing the math
system 170 + daxter 20 + 1gb 30 + family guy 20
that is 240 worth of stuff for 199, but those are list prices and while someone might pay that price, you or I would not.
170 psp + 1gb 15 + family guy 15 + daxter 20
which is 220, most of that savings being the 1gb card. Maybe 210 if you shop hard.

If you already have a psp, the extras are probably not appealing nor worth $30.

But if sony went $170 for slimpsp and 1gb memory. That would be a decent deal.

It will be very interesting to see how homebrew handles this schism. The video output on the gp2x is a great feature.

New video (non E3)

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn_ku9nmA8U[/MEDIA]

The new PSP is a sleeker and more streamlined version of the popular original PSP system. It is 33 percent lighter and 19 percent slimmer than the current version, making the all-in-one mobile entertainment system even more convenient to carry around at less than 1/2-pound in weight and less than 3/4-inch in thickness. The new PSP system will also have a thinner, more efficient battery, 64MB of system memory and video-out capabilities allowing consumers to enjoy their games at 480 x 272 resolution and movies at full standard-definition resolution on any progressive scan TV.

Also, new PSP is equipped with enhanced feature to temporarily store game data from UMD, reducing load time during game play(*3).

Things of note:

-UMD slot is less complex, pull to open
-Face buttons are visibly raised and easier to hit.
-Memory Card slot has changed somewhat.
-Wifi switch is now on top, presumably the wifi unit is behind the screen now. Helpful since the old unit would heat up your hands after heavy use!
-Battery is now 1200maH, a 1000 less than the older unit. Sony are promising better battery life?
-PSP can now accept power charge directly through the USB port.
-Battery cover features a new mechanism to open it.
-Infrared port removed.
-Hold switch is on the left side, seperated from the power switch

psp-lite-04.jpg

Hands on:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-thinner-lighter-psp-hands-on/

I am sooooooooo buying this thing. Problem is that I already own Daxter, but oh well, the new PSP looks too sweet to miss out. I was going to get a Wii, but it looks like I'm buying a new PSP instead. I can't wait for this thing.

I still want a better D-pad, but oh well.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I am sooooooooo buying this thing. Problem is that I already own Daxter, but oh well, the new PSP looks too sweet to miss out. I was going to get a Wii, but it looks like I'm buying a new PSP instead. I can't wait for this thing.

I still want a better D-pad, but oh well.[/QUOTE]

just get the piano black one. The d-pad looks better already, but I need actual impressions now...

Seems like the speakers have been moved to the top of the PSP above the d-pad and control buttons...hmm

As a big DS fan, I've had my eye on the PSP for a while now, due to the cheap games and great graphics for a handheld. This redesign has pushed me over the edge, and I'll definitely be buying one of the $200 bundles sometime this year.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']And it continues to suck... even on a redesign the Sony/the PSP fail. :([/QUOTE]

personally it kicks alot of the homeconsoles ass... the games are actually worth it and there's a wide variety of game types... plus sometimes I prefer lower end graphics over next gen stuff.

[quote name='rvdrock']Was the deal with the component output on there...I'm just checking, no way this outputs in HD, right?[/quote]

it does HD, which is nice. hopefully you wont need a ps3...

wow there just going for a double dip im keeping my psp .

All the outcry about a second stick they threw some colors on added some useless features who cares about it being slightly smaller its not worth buying a new one.

bread's done
Back