30" Philips HDTV $269 *DEAD*

If I could afford it right now I'd totally bite. Thanks for the link..still have a few days to convince myself to blow money I don't have.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Will this look good with a Xbox 360??[/QUOTE]
It'll look fantastic.

CRT's offer better picture quality over LCDs and plasmas. They just aren't very popular due to the size.

Yes, yes you can. I don't own a 1080p set or anything, but I know you that you can tell the difference.

Aside from that, that set isn't 720p, so what's your point, Munch + Zewone?

[quote name='Supreme']How would the PS3 look on this? Aren't most PS3 games 720p?[/quote]

Won't play unless the game supports 1080p. Definitely a bad buy. (the OP's TV).

[quote name='Supreme']How would the PS3 look on this? Aren't most PS3 games 720p?[/QUOTE]
The TV supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

Only a few launch PS3 games were 720p only, but this TV supports that resolution anyways.

I played through Resistance upscaled from 720p to 1080i (HDMI) on a similar model, looked really good, better than a lot of 360 games.

[quote name='RESmonkey']Won't play unless the game supports 1080p. Definitely a bad buy. (the OP's TV).[/QUOTE]
:lol:

I don't know where you get your information from, but you shouldn't be spreading around all this LCD hype/misinformation.

RESMonkey must be a tool. I can see him getting into arguments for the sake of getting into arguments with people in real life.

[quote name='Supreme']How would the PS3 look on this? Aren't most PS3 games 720p?[/QUOTE]

when games say 720p they really mean 1080i... so yes this would make ur ps3 look great.

damn... between this and the 42 in vizio at sams i saw for 800 idk what to get...

Plus I just signed up for a credit card that gives 250 cash back on first 250 purchase. Essentially making this free so I just dont know...

Old television sets (first HDTVs) were 1080i-only. Say for example you want to play a 720p-only PS3 game. It won't scale to 1080i. Don't call me a tool, do some research.

[quote name='zewone']The TV supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

Only a few launch PS3 games were 720p only, but this TV supports that resolution anyways.

I played through Resistance upscaled from 720p to 1080i (HDMI) on a similar model, looked really good, better than a lot of 360 games.[/quote]

Woops. Where did you read that it does 720p? Googling around showed it to be 480i/1080i only. :cold:

[quote name='RESmonkey']Old television sets (first HDTVs) were 1080i-only. Say for example you want to play a 720p-only PS3 game. It won't scale to 1080i. Don't call me a tool, do some research.[/QUOTE]
You are really ignorant.

If your "research" involves you pulling shit out your ass, then you've got it in spades.

I've played through 720p games, this isn't a "first HDTV" just because it's a CRT. It will upscale the picture to 1080i.

I am speaking from experience, go research that.

[quote name='RESmonkey']Woops. Where did you read that it does 720p? Googling around showed it to be 480i/1080i only. :cold:[/QUOTE]
I have this TV without the built in QAM/ATSC tuner.

I didn't read it anywhere.

That's if the TV inputs support 720p. You're experience was probably on a TV that was both 720p/1080i. Older sets do only 1080i with no acceptance of 720p.

Funny, you all get so offensive.

[quote name='RESmonkey']Old television sets (first HDTVs) were 1080i-only. Say for example you want to play a 720p-only PS3 game. It won't scale to 1080i. Don't call me a tool, do some research.[/quote]

That and your other statement are grossly different.

As for 1080p - you don't need it in the least bit. You will have quite a hard time telling the difference between 720p and 1080p, unless you are sitting rather close to a rather large TV. I have a 32" 720p set, and my brother has a 50+" 1080p DLP, and I notice very little difference sitting about 5 feet from each. With the size of that TV, it really doesnt matter.

[quote name='zewone']I have this TV without the built in QAM/ATSC tuner.

I didn't read it anywhere.[/quote]

Well then, if it's a similar set and it accepts 720p signals, then it should be fine.

[quote name='RESmonkey']That's if the TV inputs support 720p. You're experience was probably on a TV that was both 720p/1080i. Older sets do only 1080i with no acceptance of 720p.

Funny, you all get so offensive.[/QUOTE]
It is the same TV. The set here is actually newer, they added the OTA tuners.

I did some "research" it supports all the resolutions I posted earlier.

Just leave it at that.

If you don't like the TV than leave, I'm just trying to show people a TV I am very satisfied with for a very cheap price.

[quote name='zewone']It is the same TV. The set here is actually newer, they added the OTA tuners.

I did some "research" it supports all the resolutions I posted earlier.

Just leave it at that.

If you don't like the TV than leave, I'm just trying to show people a TV I am very satisfied with for a very cheap price.[/quote]

Got it. But, on the other hand, I was just warning people on 1080i only sets because I was led to believe this set was one of them. I don't have anything against a piece of hardware. I don't even have an HDTV set.

Well, if zew has the older one and says it supports 720p, I believe him. I was considering the 19" Westinghouse HDTV for $300, but it looks like I'm gonna have to bite on this one. Thanks to those that helped.

...huh. This is the tv I actually own and use my 360 and Wii on. A note to potential buyers: the picture is cut off be about a centimeter or two from the borders of the screen when in widescreen mode, which, for the most part, does not hamper the gameplay. Though it doesn't help when playing some games (kinda hard to see how many grenades I had in the Halo 3 multiplayer beta), overall it is a nice set. I remember buying it from Sams Club 3 years ago for $570. Man how things go down...

I've got two similar refurbs from Philips, been going strong for a couple years now. Almost bought this exact TV a few months ago, but opted for a 32" LCD for $400 instead.

To clarify the 720p/1080i question, CRT's only do 1080i natively. This TV will accept a 720p signal and scale it to 1080i, some of these other Philips TV's won't.

Damn, this deal only goes through the 17th.... gotta come up with some cash, quick.

EDIT: Ok, I've got a few questions: I've noticed on LCD HDTV's, there is serious lag in games like Guitar Hero. Will this be less noticeable on a CRT HDTV? And how many components does this particular sets have? I want to be future-proofed so that I can have both my Wii and 360 hooked up via component. When I get a PS3, I can hook it up via HDMI, correct?

EDIT2: And where does it say this set supports 720p?

[quote name='RESmonkey']Got it. But, on the other hand, I was just warning people on 1080i only sets because I was led to believe this set was one of them. I don't have anything against a piece of hardware. I don't even have an HDTV set.[/quote]

How can you warn people about something you know ZERO about?? I bought two Refurb's from Phillips (both 30" HDTV's) and the picture and sound is awesome!!

720p is great, and 1080i is pretty nice too, especially when you're playing 360/PS3 on it.

That is a great deal, jump on it, and never look back!!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Damn, this deal only goes through the 17th.... gotta come up with some cash, quick.

EDIT: Ok, I've got a few questions: I've noticed on LCD HDTV's, there is serious lag in games like Guitar Hero. Will this be less noticeable on a CRT HDTV? And how many components does this particular sets have? I want to be future-proofed so that I can have both my Wii and 360 hooked up via component. When I get a PS3, I can hook it up via HDMI, correct?

EDIT2: And where does it say this set supports 720p?[/QUOTE]
CRT's have no lag.

It actually has two sets of component inputs:
30pw9110d_37b_cow_.jpg

Yes, you can connect a PS3 through HDMI with this TV.

I have a similar model that supports 720p, plus I read it on a couple of different forums about this TV.
EDIT: If you check this FAQ.

One of the questions is "What high definition resolutions does this TV support?"

Answer:

480i
480p
720p
1080i

I am so on the fence with this. I am moving across the country (NJ to WA) the end of July and really need a new tv. Does anybody knows how long these take to ship because if it takes two to three weeks, I will just have it delivered to my new address. So...the question is....how long does it usually take to get items from Phillips Outlet?

[quote name='JonnyHeartthrob']I am so on the fence with this. I am moving across the country (NJ to WA) the end of July and really need a new tv. Does anybody knows how long these take to ship because if it takes two to three weeks, I will just have it delivered to my new address. So...the question is....how long does it usually take to get items from Phillips Outlet?[/QUOTE]
Took about 1 & 1/2 to 2 weeks to actually arrive at my place.

Well, then this has become even more tempting. I am going to have no extra room in my car for a box that I am sure will be huge. I think I might have to jump on this because I was just gonna settle for a SDTV for 300 bucks, but if I can get this one for this price, I think that's best. Thanks OP.

I got one, thanks man. I use to have a Toshiba 30" wide screen crt 720dpi and liked it alot. Im sure this one will be just as nice.

I got one of these Phillips refurbs in November 2005 (for, you guessed it, the Xbox 360) and it works great. The only problem is that they are extremely heavy (about 130 lbs) so consider where you are going to put it and how you are going to get it there if you do decide to buy.

I was considered a Philips refurb but due to weight and what not, just got a 32" Sharp Aquos instead. But at this price, I would've had a damn hard time deciding.

Too bad it only does 1080i though.

Thanks OP I've been looking for a cheap set for a 2nd HDTV (52" Toshiba DLP is my primary) and this one has tempted me before and now it's $80 cheaper. :whistle2:?

Damn, do I buy this or wait til Xmas season and see what pops up?? Decisions, decisions.

bread's done
Back