Where Is _____ Hip-Hop Thread

headpiece747

CAGiversary!
Feedback
186 (100%)
Starting a new thread since the other Hip-Hop thread hit 500.
Where is Fat Lip or Kwest Tha Madd Lad? It is like some emcees drop an album and then drop off the face of the earth. Who are some people that you listen to that only have one record and you wish they had more?

Wish I knew, but I don't really follow either of those dudes.

Right now I'm listening to Panacea's EP debut and damn, I really want the chance to see them in concert.

Edit: My bad, I should have answered your question. I guess my answer is...shit, I have to think about this a little bit. I'll reply later tonight.

Off the top of my head (I'll add more tonight):

Y'all So Stupid (if you ever liked Black Sheep, you will love their album Van Full Of Pakistans)

Da King & I (another early 90's album. It got caught in the huge rush to put albums out of that period but this is a diamond in the rough. Tears is one of the greatest songs of all-time and this is straight up great early backpacking music)

Kurious (His album was pretty good but not great and I always wondered how he would have grown. I thought he was out of the biz till I saw he was on MF Doom's King Geedorah project)

What about trying to forget their second album? Boogiemonsters dropped a classic and then followed it up with a stinker

[quote name='fart_bubble']Off the top of my head (I'll add more tonight):

Y'all So Stupid (if you ever liked Black Sheep, you will love their album Van Full Of Pakistans)

Da King & I (another early 90's album. It got caught in the huge rush to put albums out of that period but this is a diamond in the rough. Tears is one of the greatest songs of all-time and this is straight up great early backpacking music)

Kurious (His album was pretty good but not great and I always wondered how he would have grown. I thought he was out of the biz till I saw he was on MF Doom's King Geedorah project)

What about trying to forget their second album? Boogiemonsters dropped a classic and then followed it up with a stinker[/quote]

Y'all So Stupid, Kurious and Boogie Monsters man thats a '90s trip for me I still bump my Boogie Monsters CD. Never heard of the Da King & I have to see if I could hear that somewhere.

Fatlip dropped an album like 2 years ago( FINALLY), and I saw him perform, it was great!!

where is Craig Mack?!?! dood came out w/ Operation Getdown, and I remember that it sucked ass! then he disappeared!

and where my homies?!?!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdVWXDw-TgY[/media]

headpiece I feel the same way about Ja-Rule's first album. In my opinion there's only been one Ja-Rule studio release.

[quote name='JEKKI']Fatlip dropped an album like 2 years ago( FINALLY), and I saw him perform, it was great!!

where is Craig Mack?!?! dood came out w/ Operation Getdown, and I remember that it sucked ass! then he disappeared!

and where my homies?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdVWXDw-TgY[/quote]

Ill Al Skratch that was definitely a trip down memory lane.

[quote name='MadChedar0']headpiece I feel the same way about Ja-Rule's first album. In my opinion there's only been one Ja-Rule studio release.[/quote]

Never heard a Ja Rule album so I won't say any bad about them.

K-Solo?
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2CyPw03Ew[/MEDIA]

I just came into the OTT to make a thread because I need some albums to fit on my 1GB shuffle for the subways on my daily commute, its pretty much empty right now, I think I used like 80MB on some hour long comedy routines for today, looking for music now. Can you reccommend some albums that don't have fucking retarded lyrics? examples: Common, Jay Dee, whatever is good. Good lyrics, good beats.

edit: Just threw on mostly Jay Dee, a little Kanye from Late Registration, and a bunch of Talib Kwali and Lupe.

[quote name='docvinh']How about Camp Lo and Lords of the Underground, where did they go?[/quote]

Camp Lo is about to release an album and Lords broke up in the early 90's if I recall

new Camp Lo album,,, whooooo~~~!!!!!

damn I'm listening to this older Reef the Lost Cauze record rite now (Invisible Empire or something)

dood's style changed hella!!

anyway... I'ma head down to Amoeba records this friday to recycle a few cds I bought this year I wasnt feeling too much.

Last time I went I dropped off 20 cds!!! I dug up a lot of older stuff that time, but this time I only got 6, prolly enough to pay for 1.5 new records.

but what sucks is the new Pharoahe is among those 6!!

I mean, it's a pretty dope record, but it doesnt have enough in it to keep me coming back...

nyprimus4>> if u havent heard this record, listen to Little Brother - The Minstrel Show.

to quote one of their verses; "dope beats dope rhymes what more do y'all want?"

the record is incredible, also check out their first record 'The Listening' and the mixtape 'Chitlin Circuit 1.5'

they got another mixtape out as well, came out after 9th Wonder left the group, but I havent heard it yet...

edit: and speaking of K-Solo, I love this track:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJzlslxIiCQ[/media]

I also love the headbanger! (what?!) the headbanger! (what?!) the headbanger (what?!) the headbanger! (what?!)

hey fart_bubble,

are most of your top albums of the year list instrumental albums??

namely, the Memo and Decompoze records?

those are the names I recognize and wanna check out, but for some reason I can never get into instrumental records.

the only hip-hop instrumental record I liked, and like A LOT, was Donuts.

I also liked this record by Mylo- Destroy Rock & Roll, and Cut Copy - Bright Like Neon Love, becoz they useta play it at my old work a lot.

o yeah... and I like the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, it's hot shyt.

Here is a better breakdown than what I had before:

Straight up Hip Hop
Gabriel Teodros - Lovework
Felonious - Up To Something
Nor- Mystree
Descry - Experiences In Full Duplex
J. Davis Trio - These Things Happen
Mr.J.Medeiros - Of Gods And Girls
Linguistics - The Writes Of Passage
Black Milk - Popular Demand
Decompoze - Decomposition (first disc is a straight up hip hop record and the second is the instrumentals)
PolyRythymAddicts - Break Glass
Boom Bap Project - The Shakedown
Theory Hazit - Extra Credit
Giraffe Nuts - Eat Them
Muneshine - A Walk In The Park
Xperience - Soultree
The Upstarts - The Know How
Ill Poetic - The World Is Ours
Domingo - The Most Underrated
Capital D - Return Of The Renagade
Atlas Dusk - Proof of Purchase
Zeph and Azeem - Rise Up

DJ/Producer albums with vocals
Grooveman Spot - RE: Eternal Development (both Gold and Silver Star LPs)
DJ Ivory - Hear No Evil Vol. 3
Kidkanevil - Problems & Solutions
Red Astaire - Nuggets For The Needy
The Nextmen - This Was Supposed To Be The Future
Arts The Beatdoctor - Transitions
DJ Vadim - The Soundcatcher
Dub Pistols - Speakers And Tweeters
Scratch Perverts - Watch The Ride

Instrumental albums
Memo - Lake Effect 4
Wax Tailor - Hope & Sorrow (now half of the tracks have vocals and all of othem have vocal samples, but this needs to be taken as more of a instrumental mix as the vocals and samples are there to accentuate the vibe/mood he is trying to get across)
Mr Hill - Darkest Hour
Joe Beats - Diverse Recourse
Flow Dynamics - Flow Dynamics
Thief - Thief

ahh sankyu.

a part of me is still interested in that Memo record tho, I think I got enough downloads left over on emusic to snatch it, Decompoze can wait til nex month

[quote name='JEKKI']ahh sankyu.

a part of me is still interested in that Memo record tho, I think I got enough downloads left over on emusic to snatch it, Decompoze can wait til nex month[/quote]

Its a great record, really cool chilled out beats.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Anyone seen the Wu in concert? I'm wondering what I should expect at Rock the Bells.[/quote]
I caught them at Rock The Bells last year and they were incredible. They give you all the classics like C.R.E.A.M. and Truimph but they throw in the solo joints too which make it perfect. You will be impressed if it is anything like last year.

[quote name='nyprimus4']I just came into the OTT to make a thread because I need some albums to fit on my 1GB shuffle for the subways on my daily commute, its pretty much empty right now, I think I used like 80MB on some hour long comedy routines for today, looking for music now. Can you reccommend some albums that don't have fucking retarded lyrics? examples: Common, Jay Dee, whatever is good. Good lyrics, good beats.

edit: Just threw on mostly Jay Dee, a little Kanye from Late Registration, and a bunch of Talib Kwali and Lupe.[/quote]

here is a quote from an older thread:
[quote name='headpiece747']In no particular order but listen to everyone of these BLACK artists or groups and you will be educated:
Redman
Ras Kass
Wu-Tang and individual releases
Killarmy
Sunz of Man
Keith Masters
Hasan Salaam
Karniege
Vordul Mega
Dom Pacino
Akir
Kong
Speiga
The Reavers
Cannibal Ox
Murs
Felt (your WHITE rappers: Atomsphere with a BLACK rapper: Murs)
Living Legends and individual releases
CunninLynguists
PackFM
Tonedeff
QN5 artists (three above and more)
Roosevelt Franklin
Common (or Commonsense)
Bigg Jus
The Perceptionists
Jaylib
Jay Dee/J Dilla (R.I.P.)
Slum Village
Madlib
Lootpack
Tha Alkaholiks
Canibus
MED
Oh No
Monsta Island Czars
Defari
Company Flow
Hieroglyphics and individual releases
Wordsworth
Blueprint
C.L. Smooth
Tame One
Masta Ace
Mr. Lif
Viktor Vaughn
Binary Star
Sean Price
Smif n Wessun
Camu Tao
Quasimoto
Binkis
Blackalicious
Supernatural
Aceyalone
Afu-Ra
Agallah
Akrobatik
Analog Brothers
Arsonists
Royce The 5'9"
Billy Woods
Bumpy Knuckles
Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf
Chino XL
Count Bass-D
Coup
C-Rayz Walz
Declaime
Dilated Peoples
Gravediggaz
Hangar 18
Jakki Tha Motamouth
MHz
J-Live
Juggaknots
Prince Paul
Kankick
Keith Murray
King Geedorah
Krondon
Phil Da Agony
Likwit Junkies
Little Brother
Madvillain
Mystik Journeymen
Soul Position

Thats all I can think of now and that will keep you busy for awhile[/quote]

[quote name='headpiece747']I caught them at Rock The Bells last year and they were incredible. They give you all the classics like C.R.E.A.M. and Truimph but they throw in the solo joints too which make it perfect. You will be impressed if it is anything like last year.[/QUOTE]

Great.

I cannot wait.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Anyone seen the Wu in concert? I'm wondering what I should expect at Rock the Bells.[/quote]
I saw them in concert back in February '06 when they came to Worchester. Besides the fact that we had to wait 4 hours staring at a blank stage, everything was wild. Everyone was great, as usual, Meth was the wildest. I have a ton of pics and short videos from that show if anyone wants me to post them. By the way, are you going to the MA or NY show? And if you're interested, there's gonna be a free concert in Boston at City Hall on August 4th. As far as I know, Slick Rick and De La Soul are gonna be there, should be more.

Speaking of Wu, check out this nice article on them my boy posted on his blog. http://my.opera.com/VegaTheTerrible/blog/2007/07/16/applying-math-to-wu-tangs-new-album-2

Oh, and I'm not sure how much the sale on hiphopsite.com was for, but it looks like they bumped it up to 60% off. :drool:

[quote name='Supreme']I saw them in concert back in February '06 when they came to Worchester. Besides the fact that we had to wait 4 hours staring at a blank stage, everything was wild. Everyone was great, as usual, Meth was the wildest. I have a ton of pics and short videos from that show if anyone wants me to post them. By the way, are you going to the MA or NY show? And if you're interested, there's gonna be a free concert in Boston at City Hall on August 4th. As far as I know, Slick Rick and De La Soul are gonna be there, should be more.

Speaking of Wu, check out this nice article on them my boy posted on his blog. http://my.opera.com/VegaTheTerrible/blog/2007/07/16/applying-math-to-wu-tangs-new-album-2

Oh, and I'm not sure how much the sale on hiphopsite.com was for, but it looks like they bumped it up to 60% off. :drool:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, man. I'm going to the NY show on the 28th, gonna be fan-fucking-tastic.

Made my first trip to Hastings and was going through the $1.99 bin looking for obsure or underground stuff. Well to my surprise sitting there is Shabaam Sahdeeq - Never Say Never (album) and Scienz of Life - Project Overground (album). So I scoop them up and pop in Shabaam Sahdeeq aka S-Double (WTF!?) because I have heard all of the Scienz of Life CD. To my gut wretching and horrible listening I had to sit through. This can't be the same dude from the Rawkus era. He even has a skit talking about how he doesn't know Mos or Kweli and fuck Rawkus(Not mad at the Rawkus part they did screw alot of artists). So what is he rapping about Money, Chicks and Whips and the beats sound like wanna be radio play but never will. My bad just had to vent. Thank goodness it was only $1.99!

[quote name='headpiece747']Made my first trip to Hastings and was going through the $1.99 bin looking for obsure or underground stuff. Well to my surprise sitting there is Shabaam Sahdeeq - Never Say Never (album) and Scienz of Life - Project Overground (album). So I scoop them up and pop in Shabaam Sahdeeq aka S-Double (WTF!?) because I have heard all of the Scienz of Life CD. To my gut wretching and horrible listening I had to sit through. This can't be the same dude from the Rawkus era. He even has a skit talking about how he doesn't know Mos or Kweli and fuck Rawkus(Not mad at the Rawkus part they did screw alot of artists). So what is he rapping about Money, Chicks and Whips and the beats sound like wanna be radio play but never will. My bad just had to vent. Thank goodness it was only $1.99![/QUOTE]
Oh man say it ain't so... Shabaam Sahdeeq was the man at least.... damnit

Skyzoo - Cloud 9 was aiite... I think I gotta listen to it again. But I liked Kaze's 9th Wonder record better

(I compare the two coz they were released around the same time).

but dang I'ma be going to the record store today I dont even kno what I wanna buy?!?!?!

maybe pick up all those old Ice Cube records I never bought... or that Perceptionists cd I've had my eyes on for a while

[quote name='2poor']The new common album leaked. It's up on oink if anybody cares.[/QUOTE]
I just came in here to post this :lol:.
I'm listening to it right now.

♪ Now let's start the show... ♪

I just caught up with this thread now. I was wondering why the other one hadn't gotten any new replies.

To answer the OP question, I guess the easy answer is Q-Tip. It's tough to find any rappers with only one album ever put out...

I've seen Wu-Tang twice, once with the full 9-man crew and a second time with everybody but the late Osirus. They get live no doubt. My only problem is that each guy has his own crew out there and there ends up being about eighty people on stage. It starts to get annoying when you have a chorus of voices on stage shouting the rhyming words on every line.

[quote name='rapsodist']
To answer the OP question, I guess the easy answer is Q-Tip. It's tough to find any rappers with only one album ever put out...
[/quote]

But Q-Tip is a chode, I hated the way Tribe breaking up went down on his part

man I got $30 for 6 cds today, pretty good! last time it was $80 for 20.

I didnt even kno what I wanted,

but on the topic of where are they now, I ended up NOT picking this up:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcM6fNsBD_c[/media]

prolly a bad choice, but I'll make sure to give it a higher priority purchase for another day!

I ended up getting these two:

516%2B5mARweL._AA240_.jpg
514WS5TF0HL._AA240_.jpg

Kool Keith is always hit or miss, but I heard great things about Project Polaroid so I thought I'd check it out.

and another where is______?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzVAjn7yC0[/media]

I actually dug the Project Poloroid album. It sure is different but it hit a good spot with me.

Is that Edan the re-release? Either way, its a classic to me (though I really like Edan).

JEKKI - man Heavy D and Boyz that always makes me think of my old brother because he had every single album by that guy. I liked some of his stuff but I think the dancing and slow songs threw me off sometimes.

I was at UGHH.com looking for new music when I stumbled upon this:
Lords Of The Underground - 'House Of Lords'
Pre-order ship date: Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Here are some others I thought were worth mentioning:
Beat Konducta (aka Madlib) - 'Vol. 3 & 4: Beat Konducta In India
(w/ FREE Stones Throw Fan Club 45!)'
Pre-order ship date: Tuesday, August 28, 2007

CL Smooth - 'The Outsider'

C-Rayz Walz - 'Chorus Rhyme (LIMITED EDITION)'
Pre-order ship date: Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Guilty Simpson - 'Ode To The Ghetto
(w/ FREE Stones Throw Fan Club 45!)'
Pre-order ship date: Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Jay Dee (aka J. Dilla) - 'Jay Deelicious: The Delicious Vinyl Years
(w/ Bonus Instrumentals)'

M.F. Grimm (aka G.M. Grimm) - 'The Order Of The Baker: Gingerbread Man Mixtape'

Strong Arm Steady (Xzibit, Phil The Agony, Krondon, Mitchy Slick) - 'Deep Hearted
(w/ FREE DJ Truly OdD & Babu - 'Deep Hearted: Mixtape Sampler' CD!)'
Pre-order ship date: Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I dont think Xzibit is with Strong Arm Steady anymore, like when they got that deal it did not interest him and he just decided to bounce.

I also listened to Full Circle last nite as well, wasnt very good either... X needsa make another album that sounds like 40 days 40 nites,

3 Card Molly is my shyt rite there!

also:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eVa11fv_iM[/media]

seriously... how can the dood who made this song go on to host Pimp My Ride???? -_-

also something of interest, I believe Juvenile (among other interesting emcees) is making an appearance on that Strong Arm record!

51YKHBFNQSL._AA240_.jpg

this album is the shit by the way! way better than 400 Degreez, altho I regretfully never listened to any of his other records after this one...

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's a free Ghostface Killah show in Brooklyn tonight as part of the Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival. For those of you in NYC, might wanna check it out.

i loved 40 dayz and 40 nightz...

other rappers that fell off the face of the planet:
Jeru the Damaja
Nine
Onyx

some soundtracks that have some great tracks, mid-2 late 90's

Bulworth - How Come, Bulworth, Holiday, The Chase, Run, Lunatics in the Grass

Rhyme and Reason - Wild Hot, Uni-4-orm, Tragedy, The Way It Iz

High School High - Semi-Automatic: Full Rap Metal Jacket, Wu Wear, The Ultimate, Queen Bitch

Set it Off - Days of our Livez, Angelic Wars

some vids...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghp4yP88Crs[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx6G2zfWDHc[/MEDIA] - just pictures..but the track is on it...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zZfq_VrTM[/MEDIA]

I always wanted to hear the Rhyme and Reason soundtrack man... never got to tho :(

still, how can u not mention this song:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOrDpCDHRsE[/media]

shyt is classic!!

also Dayz of our Livez is my shyt too!!

most movie soundtracks have disappointed me tho... the only two I ever liked are

Bad Boys
and
The Show

but I really wanna check those other ones out tho.

also... new Camp Lo tomorrow

51gE5r1nk0L._AA240_.jpg

aiite so I got new Camp Lo today during my lunch break!!

I gotta say tho.. that shyt straight up delivers!!

delivers as in delivers yet another hella disappointing record this year!!

wtf?!?!?!

it's 12 tracks, 12 very SHORT tracks so I have already give the record two spins.

the main problem is that 5 of those tracks are from their mixtape!!

it's freakin July and I'm buying a cd with songs I heard last year already?!?!

of the remaining 7, 2 were released as their single (which are good songs) which leaves me with 5 new songs.

the first song is the shyt! love it!

another of the new songs is good, one straight up sucks, one is aiite, and the last one is whatever...

at the very least, we get to hear more wacked out incomprehensible slang from them, so that's a plus.

I donno if I will sell it tho, prolly not but I won't be listening to it again for a long time once it leaves my car.

bread's done
Back