Voter Fraud Not Just for Florida Anymore

MrBadExample

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just read this on Salon and I find it extremely disgusting and disturbing that some Republicans would stoop this low:

Jimmy Carter said we all need to be vigilant about voter fraud in Florida again this year and scrutinize the process. Looks like that applies to the rest of the country, too. In Nevada, employees of a GOP-funded voter registration company say they watched their supervisors rip up Democrats' registration forms -- and that hundreds and maybe thousands of Democrats' forms have been trashed.

From KLAS TV in Las Vegas -- and isn't it heartening to see a local TV I-team actually report on something other than exposes of local strip clubs or the latest household item that can kill you?:

"Two former workers say they personally witnessed company supervisors rip up and trash registration forms signed by Democrats."

"'We caught her taking Democrats out of my pile, handed them to her assistant and he ripped them up right in front of us. I grabbed some of them out of the garbage and she tells her assistant to get those from me,' said Eric Russell, former Voters Outreach employee. Eric Russell managed to retrieve a pile of shredded paperwork including signed voter registration forms, all from Democrats. We took them to the Clark County Election Department and confirmed that they had not, in fact, been filed with the county as required by law."

"So the people on those forms who think they will be able to vote on Election Day are sadly mistaken. We attempted to speak to Voters Outreach but found that its office has been rented out to someone else."

Perhaps Ralph Nader knows where Voters Outreach went, because, as Josh Marshall points out, it appears the same company worked for him in Arizona.

Then there's Oregon. State officials are looking into allegations that a paid canvasser might have destroyed voter registration forms there, too. Yet another local TV station doing its job, KGW-TV, interviewed a paid canvasser who said he was instructed to only accept Republican registration forms. Oregon's Secretary of State Bill Bradbury is beside himself over the allegations: "I have never in my five years as secretary of state ever seen an allegation like the one that came up tonight -- ever," Bradbury said. "I mean, frankly, it just totally offends me that someone would take someone else's registration and throw it out."

Also in Oregon, college students say they may have been snookered into changing their party affiliation to Republican by a group of petitioners who asked them to sign a petition "to lower auto costs for young people."

"When students signed the petition, they were handed voter registration cards and told to fill out only the name and address section, in order to 'verify' their signature on the petition. According to one of the petitioners, the group's intent is to register everyone who filled out the voter registration card, with 'Republican' selected under the party affiliation. Many students who had signed the petition where surprised or outraged to learn that they may have inadvertently registered to vote as a Republican."

"... It's sick," said student Jodi Kansager, who initially signed the petition, but then became suspicious when she was handed a voter registration card and asked to only fill out two lines. "I look at it and I'm like, 'dude, this is a voter registration card!'"

In South Dakota, former congressman Bill Janklow (yes, that Bill Janklow), comments on the resignation of six people connected to the state GOP over improper absentee ballot applications (a nephew of the GOP senate candidate was signing up college students even though he isn't an official notary). Janklow, according to local TV station KELO "says the national GOP is encouraging campaign workers to cheat."

War Room readers, help us keep on top of potential voter fraud by sending us any relevant links to news stories in your area.

Go here http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/index.html for links to the original reports.

I don't have any examples, but i don't think this is limited to Republicans, and (from what I've read) election fraud has been going on forever, including many elections in the US in the 20th century.

When you think about how close many elections are, it's very scary how much fraud and just plain mistakes are made. I'm sure the wrong candidate has won several times (not just talking about the Gore/Bush thing).

But these aren't "mistakes" where registration forms are being misfiled or thrown away accidentally. What is being alleged here is denying people the right to vote based on their party preference. "Unamerican" is the best adjective I can put on it. When the people who filed their registrations go to vote, they are going to be turned away and have no recourse because there will be no record of their registration.

Until I see some proof, I will say this is limited to Republicans. I haven't seen one story about Democrats denying people who want to register as Republicans. If anyone has any, I would like to see them and I would condemn that as well.

Jesus.
It doesnt matter who does it. This kind of act is illegal and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. The key to election reform is not electronic voting machines, its prosecuting those that attempt to undermine the democratic process.

Who cares what "side" is guilty?!?!

right republican problem...... the dems are just as guilty. There is also numerous cases from third parties. ie I get $10 per voter I register, and fill out flase forms to get the money.

George Knapp, Investigative Reporter
Investigation into Trashed Voter Registrations

(Oct. 13) -- Federal, state, and local officials are gathering information about allegations of voter registration fraud that were first raised Channel 8 Eyewitness News.

An employee of a private voter registration firm alleges that his bosses trashed registration forms filled out by Democratic voters because they only wanted to sign up Republican voters.
http://www.klas-tv.com/global/story.asp?s=2421595&ClientType=Printable

Scary times we're living in. At least the people in a traditional facist government KNOW that they're being oppressed, as opposed to the backroom hush-hush way that we are. *sigh*

Oy this is goin to be a rough election, lets hope the Republican party doesnt put signs up in neighborhoods sayin the wrong date of the election again.

From the article:
Russell was a disgruntled employee. He admits that if he had been paid, he probably wouldn't have talked. Even so, discrediting him doesn't explain the existence of the trashed registration forms.
There is hard evidence and a pattern of behavior by Republican sponsored voter registration groups. There needs to be a serious investigation into these allegations and their ties to the RNC.

[quote name='BigNick']right republican problem...... the dems are just as guilty. There is also numerous cases from third parties. ie I get $10 per voter I register, and fill out flase forms to get the money.[/quote]

Paying people to register one party (while still not good) is hardly the same as destroying applications of people who registered with the opposing party.

I'm tired of hearing both sides do it. They don't. Republican efforts to suppress Democratic voters is far more prevalent.

More GOP dirty tricks:

Among the incidents cited: A Republican state representative in Michigan told the Detroit Free Press that the GOP will have "a tough time" if "we do not suppress the Detroit vote." Detroit is 83 percent black.

In Jefferson County, Ky., the local GOP plans to send poll watchers to Democratic, predominantly black precincts to challenge voters' eligibility. A similar, 2002 plan provoked cries of voter intimidation after a recruitment flier became public. The flier asked for volunteers to protect Ernie Fletcher's gubernatorial campaign against potential fraud by "the black militant division of the AFL-CIO" and the NAACP.

In South Dakota, where Native Americans are a key constituency for Democrats, some said they were turned away from the polls during a special election this summer because they did not have photo-identification The secretary of state has blamed the problems on well-intentioned poll workers who did not understand a new law passed by the GOP-controlled legislature.

In many cases cited it is unclear who is behind the incidents. In Maryland's 2002 gubernatorial election, anonymous fliers were distributed in black neighborhoods in Baltimore gave voters the wrong date for Election Day and told them to be sure to pay parking tickets, overdue rent and outstanding warrants.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33798-2004Aug25.html

bread's done
Back