Moore resigns

EvyLou

CAGiversary!
Moore resigns to join EA.

Big news? Did he offer any hints in the conference?

Good/Bad? Thoughts?

REDMOND, Wash., July 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Microsoft Corp. today announced that Don Mattrick, a former president at Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), will lead the Interactive Entertainment Business (IEB), which includes overseeing the Xbox® and Games for Windows® businesses. Peter Moore, who currently serves as corporate vice president of IEB, has decided to move his family back to the Bay Area for personal reasons and has secured another opportunity in the video games industry.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070717/aqtu188.html?.v=9

Moore to join EA

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN1736210020070717?rpc=44

I don't see it saying that Moore is joining EA, just that his replacement was from there. I guess it's a positive, I always kind of liked what Moore did for MS, an I'm more afraid of someone whose resume highlights are crappy games.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/805/805713p1.html

Link with interview from the CEO of EA

A statement released by EA from Peter Moore stated the following, "The people at EA Sports have created one of the strongest brands in the entertainment industry and John Riccitiello is building an organization which will extend the company's leadership to new platforms and new audiences all over the world. I couldn't be more excited about joining EA and moving my family back to the San Francisco Bay Area."

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. It's like the surprise announcement we were all waiting for from Microsoft during E3.

It does warm my heart to see the intarwebz peepz already claiming that this is a "ploy by Microsoft" to ensure future EA exclusivity for the XBox brand.

Hmm...seems like big news...yet I feel indifferent. Not sure if its good or bad until we see the replacement and what he/she has instore for us.

Why let this guy do the E3 conference!!! Bring Back J. Allard!!! LOL
Seriously why let this POS do the conference. This year's sucked. We learned nothing new...

Wow! That was really unexpected - hopefully Moore brings about some changes for the better in the EA Sports franchises.

remember this is the same guy when he was working with sega, he arranged for DC games to get cancel and ported to Xbox. The he got a position with MS.

Was he charged with fixing the RRoD fiasco before he quit? If so, does that reflect that the solution of 1 billion dollars would not have been done by someone else or a new comer? Did he just want to look like the good guy and say to hell with what this loss does to the future of MS. Or did MS force him out due to this hardware failure?

What does this mean for the future of Australian videogame purchasing habits?

[quote name='guyver2077']and he goes to work for the devil.. wtf is wrong with him..

no wonder he mentioned the ea titles soo much[/quote]

well, leaving microsoft to work for ea is like leaving satan to work for lucifer.

[quote name='62t']After how he screwed Sega, I hope he will ruin EA now.[/QUOTE]

I was working for Sega when Moore left and let me say this, his departure was a logical choice. That place was going up in smoke long before he left. We'd already had several internal "fire-sales" on Sega hardware and software before he left. If that wasn't a sign of things to come, I don't know what is.

As for this announcement... Wow. Just wow.

I predict Moore will join Nintendo at some point.

[quote name='62t']remember this is the same guy when he was working with sega, he arranged for DC games to get cancel and ported to Xbox. The he got a position with MS.[/quote]Looks like PS3 version of Madden is going back down to 30fps.

I figured Shane Kim may have gotten the seat of power, but I guess not. He seems like the next best thing at MS from a having-to-deal-with-shitstorms perspective. I like SK where he is though, so I'm not that disappointed.

I dunno. I don't know much of anything about this new guy besides the fact that i recognize his name. As long as it's not Totally X-Treme J Allard, I'll give it a chance.

Can't wait for Dean Takahashi's next book when the third XBox comes out...assuming he's doing one, anyway. The chapter regarding Moore bailing would make for interesting reading.

The hell? Gawd these bigwigs don't stick in one place for long.

Not gonna miss him, he was well on the wicked path Kataragi(sp!?) pioneered.

I kinda liked Peter Moore. At least he seemed passionate about games.

Hopefully this Mattick guy isn't some EA droid.

Thats amazing. I really did not see this one coming at all-- for all his faults, I still think that Moore was a better face for the Xbox brand than Allard. When he came in the Xbox scene (at least in the public eye) became a lot less Extreme!!!! and a lot more business-savvy and consumer centric.

While the Xbox is losing money hand over fist, at least in the eye of the public the brand itself was doing quite well whenever Moore stepped in. I wonder if things would have been different if the RRoD was not endemic--- 360 was set to have its first profitable quarter with H3 and the rest. Elite units only cost 320 to make, so Microsoft has a profitable hardware piece as well.

Interesting things are going to be heard from this camp for sure-- I thought Moore fit the bill for the face of the Xbox brand extremely well, and its going to be sad to see that sort of brand/face recognition go.

i thought his conferences were always pretty good...

and doesnt he still have those microsoft tatoos on him... they must of given him some big bucks

It starts.

nd5.gif

I wonder why now though, and not before E3.
Perhaps to instill some confidence?

And I truly do wonder what this means for multiplatform EA games (which is all of them aren't they?)

[quote name='dallow']And I truly do wonder what this means for multiplatform EA games (which is all of them aren't they?)[/QUOTE]

Not a fucking chance EA goes platform exclusive. This is *EA* we're talking about. They put out roughly 5 N-Gage games, for Christ's sake!

Next gen is doing FINE. Really. Kutaragi and Moore's departure doesn't mean anything about the failure of HD gaming...

Red Ring of Death losses must have been too much for him. Hope this new guy isn't a robot. If you ever want to criticize peter moore, watch the conference this year, and pay extra close attention to the Tool who comes up after him to talk about 360 as the "family" console. Ugh. It could be a lot worse.

Do you guys think he might be bailing out of a sinking ship? I get the feeling that if Microsoft doesn't have a huge Christmas this year, we may see the last of gaming consoles out of Microsoft. I mean they had a year head start on the other two systems and the Wii is right there with them as far as sales go. Also the billion dollar 360 protection plan and once PS3 hits their stride in 2008, it seems to me there might be some truth to that. Hasn't he seen it before with Sega and their final console?

[quote name='hertzy']Do you guys think he might be bailing out of a sinking ship? I get the feeling that if Microsoft doesn't have a huge Christmas this year, we may see the last of gaming consoles out of Microsoft. I mean they had a year head start on the other two systems and the Wii is right there with them as far as sales go. Also the billion dollar 360 protection plan and once PS3 hits their stride in 2008, it seems to me there might be some truth to that. Hasn't he seen it before with Sega and their final console?[/QUOTE]

Nope. MS hasn't seen a dollar of profit off of Xbox ever. It won't start anytime soon, ether, but that isn't MS' ultimate goal - getting a foothold in every aspect of your technological life is more important in the long run. Would they like to make money? Of course; they have the advantage of having cash reserves the like of which you'll never see in your life, however. They can last the long haul.

[quote name='hertzy']Do you guys think he might be bailing out of a sinking ship? I get the feeling that if Microsoft doesn't have a huge Christmas this year, we may see the last of gaming consoles out of Microsoft. I mean they had a year head start on the other two systems and the Wii is right there with them as far as sales go. Also the billion dollar 360 protection plan and once PS3 hits their stride in 2008, it seems to me there might be some truth to that. Hasn't he seen it before with Sega and their final console?[/quote]

not at all...they have fable 2, halo wars, and most likely alan wake all for next holiday season...they will still have a ton of 3rd party support, they are allegedly getting the unreal game next year...why would you think that they are on a downward spiral...besides the fact they have a shit load of good/great games coming out this year...and as was already mentioned msft wanted to get there foothold into the living room

I want to know how long this has been in the works, and when he was offered the job. That could be a telling tale for a lot of things xbox.

[quote name='ryanbph']not at all...they have fable 2, halo wars, and most likely alan wake all for next holiday season...they will still have a ton of 3rd party support, they are allegedly getting the unreal game next year...why would you think that they are on a downward spiral...besides the fact they have a shit load of good/great games coming out this year...and as was already mentioned msft wanted to get there foothold into the living room[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying. You never know. If they keep losing money you can't tell me it's no big deal. They are not going to keep dumping into a money pit.

Well, when Kutagari left, everyone by then was blaming the PS3 cost/failure on him...

I wonder who's fault the RRoD was...given this new turn of events.
On top of that, didn't Robbie Bach pull a Martha Stewart? Is an investigation coming?

As for joining EA...wow...just wow. I can't imagine ANYONE with a shred of creative talent to be joining EA. But he did say it was for his family, so that's respectable.

~HotShotX

I really don't care one way or another over this news.

I'm also not too concerned this will hurt Microsoft or the Xbox either. Moore may have been the "face" of the Xbox, but until the multi-billion dollar juggernaut that is Microsoft pulls the plug on the console (which doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon), I don't think things are going to change as much as people may think.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I really don't care one way or another over this news.

I'm also not too concerned this will hurt Microsoft or the Xbox either. Moore may have been the "face" of the Xbox, but until the multi-billion dollar juggernaut that is Microsoft pulls the plug on the console (which doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon), I don't think things are going to change as much as people may think.[/quote]

Well said, I feel the same way.

Now he must really be wondering why the hell he got those stupid tatoos. Well, either way I never liked Peter Moore all that much... though given that the new guy was the EA President at one point, I fear for MS' games division now.

bread's done
Back