CAG Foreplay Podcast #8: New Releases (7/17/07) Offensive Tacklers Edition

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of July 17th, 2007. This week we take a look at this year's first crop of games named after next year.

ships01.jpg

Thanks for the artwork yet again, meager!

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can now also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay8.mp3[/media]

All-Pro Football 2K8 Dev. Visual Concepts Pub. 2K Sports Systems: PS3, 360 MSRP: $59.99
After three years and many meetings with the AARP, 2K Sports returns to the gridiron with All Pro Football 2K8. 240 former NFL players have decided to suit up for teams such as the Miami Sharks and the New York Emperors. Field your team with greats like Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, and Jerry Rice. Or if you'd rather, Andre Ware, Eric Bieniemy, and Raghib Ismail. It can't go without saying... where's Bo Jackson! - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering All Pro Football 2K8 for $56 shipped.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $54.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $54.99 (99 cent shipping)

Hot Shots Tennis Dev. Clap Hanz Pub. SCEA Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
The Hot Shots franchise is great for someone looking for casual sports games with fun levels and interesting characters, and this new tennis title is no different. It plays similarly to the golf titles, although after playing the demo at my local b&m, I am a bit concerned that either I really stink at tennis games or this game is really hard to control. The downside is that there is no tournament or progressive career mode, so you really don't have any goals to shoot for. Unless you're me, and your goal is to serve without hitting the net. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Hot Shots Tennis.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

NCAA Football 08 Dev. EA Tiburon Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: Xbox, PS2, PS3, 360 MSRP: $39.99-$59.99
This will sell a lot of copies. They've finally added a lot of features to the next gen versions and this seems to be the fully fleshed out version college football fans have been hoping for. Lee Corso suggests you buy it and due to contractual obligations I must ask him, "So how's the framerate on the PS3 version?" "Not so fast, my friend." - ship

Best Deal:
Circuit City is offering a free $10 gift card with the purchase of NCAA Football 08.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $59.99 (Free $10 gift card with purchase)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $49.99 (Free $10 gift card with purchase)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $59.99 (Free $10 gift card with purchase)
:xbox: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:xbox: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $39.99 (Free $10 gift card with purchase)

PaRappa the Rapper Dev. SCEJ Pub. SCEA Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
The classic PS1 rhythm game makes a return with downloadable remixes and all its Chop Chop Onion Head glory. The thirty dollar price tag seems a little ludacris though, since this game could have easily been a $6 download on the PSN. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for PaRappa the Rapper.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

Rugby 08 Dev. EA Canada Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
In case you don't want to buy either of the football games: Rugby 08. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Rugby 08.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $28.99 (Free shipping)

Smash Court Tennis 3 Dev. Namco Bandai Pub. Namco Bandai Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Sure, there's already two versions of Virtua Tennis on the PSP, but what if you feel less like playing the game of kings and more like playing the game of serfs? Well, Smash Court Tennis 3 puts its fuzzy balls in the palm of your hand as you take on top players and play mini games in your pursuit to be the #1 player in the world. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Smash Court Tennis 3 for $27 shipped.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $26.99 (Free shipping)

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology Dev. Namco Bandai Pub. Namco Bandai Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
All respectable RPG games have demons and a great tree. Check and check. Looking for something extra? How about complete customization of your own character including name, gender, face, clothing, voice, and job. With different jobs come different quests, which makes for lots of replay value. But, the fact that the game uses something called the Flex Range Linear Motion Battle System (aka FR-LMBS) kind of scares me. It looks like a great game with lots to explore and do, and with 30+ hours of gameplay, it should be worth the $40. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology for $38 shipped.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $37.99 (Free shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Balloon Fight Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
Ever wanted to try and fly using helium balloons tied to your back? What about popping the balloons of others, causing them to fall to certain death? Catch this great gameplay and more in this Joust-ish NES title available for the Wii Virtual Console for just $5. And by and more I mean giant fish that sometimes just plucks you out of the sky! - mrs. ship

Bomberman LiveSystems: 360 MSRP: $10
The XBLA game everyone has been anticipating is finally here. Customize your cute little Bomberman and frantically blow the piss out of seven of your friends online. This is sure to be a fixture for CAGs for a long time. - ship

Paper Mario Systems: N64 MSRP: $10
This is perhaps my favorite of the "modern day" Mario games. It has great levels, awesome RPG gameplay, plus all the great characters we've come to know and love. If you haven't played this title yet, it's WELL worth your $10. And if you enjoyed playing it the first time through, it might just be worth playing it again. - mrs. ship

Silent Debuggers Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
If you want to play a first-person shooter from the TurboGrafx-16, well this is your week. Also, I hear Dollar General is having a sale on salsa infused contact lens solution that you might be interested in. - ship

Yie Ar Kung Fu Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Hmm... did I mention that Bomberman is coming out this week? I've got no time to hop around and try to punch and kick people with horrible controls. Maybe you do? - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Listened to the show today while I ate my lunch in Akihabara...great stuff.
The show is getting better and better.

It's not just you guys, Hot Shots Tennis is pretty bad. I got the demo from GS awhile back, and hated it. I really like tennis games too, but I just couldn't get into this game.

Also the battle system in ToW sounds complicated, but it's just fancy words for real time battles. I'll be picking that game up today. I'm a huge fan of the Tales series.

[quote name='BrandonMills']Is it really foreplay if it comes after the CAGcast though? Shouldn't it be more like 'second helpings'?[/QUOTE]

Sloppy Seconds with the Ships.

Ew.

IMO, you got the XBLA arcade releases backwards. Yie Ar Kung Fu is the one to have, bomberman looks like the yawn. YAKF is a classic.

I feel like this episode should've started out with an old 1950's recap like 'Last week Ship got a PS3, and the misses wasn't too happy. How will Ship get out of this one? STAY TUNED!'

Or something like that.

[quote name='CMorrigu']IMO, you got the XBLA arcade releases backwards. Yie Ar Kung Fu is the one to have, bomberman looks like the yawn. YAKF is a classic.[/QUOTE]

Seconded that YAKF is a classic. Spent tons on it in the arcade, also enjoyed the near-perfect Commodore 64 version. It's not "just" a 2-d fighter. It's really manic, a lot faster than most 2-d fighters, has a great theme song, etc.

I still want Bomberman, too, tho : )

I just about burst out laughing when Mrs. Shipwreck was talking about watching Shipwreck play Rainbow Six... My husband is the same way (only he's *surely* worse... don't want to insult you, Shipwreck!) He seems to have yet to figure out that the little round compass thingy in Medal of Honor tells you where the enemies are... and that the big red flashes in the middle of the screen indicate where people are shooting at you from *hits head* I have got to stop encouraging him to play these shooters, it's just too painful to watch :p

Anyhow, great episode! Keep up the good work :)

So ship's only punishment for not telling mrs. ship about buying a ps3 is watching chick flicks? I congratulate you, sir, for getting off so easy! ;)

Edit: And Wombat, what did you do to mrs. ship last week? She really channeled some Wombat attitude this week.

shipwreck, you need to do a segment about things in gaming that piss you off. You could call it "Gets under my Fore Skin"

Great episode! Hey, Ship, what's this "I have to go out and get some XBLA points"... do you realize you can buy them off XBLA without leaving the house?

Or do you have some kind of B&M deal on them?

[quote name='gorgo']Great episode! Hey, Ship, what's this "I have to go out and get some XBLA points"... do you realize you can buy them off XBLA without leaving the house?

Or do you have some kind of B&M deal on them?[/QUOTE]

I usually use GameRush credit to buy them as it's a good way to use the high trade-in prices they have. For example, the $13.50 I spent on Rayman Rabbids turned into $28.50 in GameRush credit, which turned into a 1600 MS point card with credit left over.

[quote name='gorgo']Seconded that YAKF is a classic. Spent tons on it in the arcade, also enjoyed the near-perfect Commodore 64 version. It's not "just" a 2-d fighter. It's really manic, a lot faster than most 2-d fighters, has a great theme song, etc.

I still want Bomberman, too, tho : )[/QUOTE]

I think it just comes down to whether you played YAKF when you were younger. To me, it's just a crapshoot of jumping around and hoping I hit somebody. After playing the extremely short demo, I could see how it could be enjoyable to those that have fond memories of it and the updated graphics look nice.

Great show, Ships. You successfuly made me no longer want Untold Legends. Thanks for saving me some money!

The only complaint I have is all the sports talk... but then I'm not a big sports gamer (or watcher).

ROFL shipwreck, i busted out laughing when i heard you watched The Holiday on Blu-Ray, sorry dude, i feel for ya.

InuFaye, the same dude i played Gears Tourney with? i just noticed you here, lol...

[quote name='LiK']ROFL shipwreck, i busted out laughing when i heard you watched The Holiday on Blu-Ray, sorry dude, i feel for ya.

InuFaye, the same dude i played Gears Tourney with? i just noticed you here, lol...[/quote]

Yes it is me, i am the same dude that you played the Gears tourney with. That was fun and i wish gamespot would have something cool like that again.

How did you get 28 bucks for Raving Rabbids? That game's been 20 bucks new for weeks. Which is the fastest non-sale price drop to $20 I have ever seen. It hasn't even been out three months! Even the Wii version is still full price, and that was a launch title! More exclamation marks!!!

Bomberman Live is fun. I've played one online game and actually won! I had to stop playing to recover from the shock. I've got to open more outfits so my pirate can wear something other than a toga or tutu.

And I finally played Chicken Shoot. It was quite the crudtastic spectacle. Apparently this bad flash game is what qualifies as NextGen in Poland. I finally found a game to unseat "Malice" from the original Xbox as the worst game I've ever played. I can't wait for the next contender!

[quote name='gunm']So ship's only punishment for not telling mrs. ship about buying a ps3 is watching chick flicks? I congratulate you, sir, for getting off so easy! [/quote]

Easy? He's just lucky that The Devil Wears Prada on blu-ray was already rented! ;)

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Easy? He's just lucky that The Devil Wears Prada on blu-ray was already rented! ;)[/QUOTE]

as a heterosexual male who loves chick flicks, the devil wears prada kicks the holiday's ass

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Easy? He's just lucky that The Devil Wears Prada on blu-ray was already rented! ;)[/quote]

I shudder at the fact that my girl friend could possibly find this out, and then everything would turn to hell.

Just wanted to point out you guys missed Nucleus for PS3 which came out last week. Nobody probably cares but I liked the demo.

[quote name='mxpowar']Just wanted to point out you guys missed Nucleus for PS3 which came out last week. Nobody probably cares but I liked the demo.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo and we actually discussed it in the podcast. It's hard to cover the PSN new releases in written form because they usually aren't announced prior to their release and they come out on Thursdays.

[quote name='InuFaye']I shudder at the fact that my girl friend could possibly find this out, and then everything would turn to hell.[/quote]

i'll send her a quick note ;)

[quote name='shipwreck']I usually use GameRush credit to buy them as it's a good way to use the high trade-in prices they have. For example, the $13.50 I spent on Rayman Rabbids turned into $28.50 in GameRush credit, which turned into a 1600 MS point card with credit left over.
[/QUOTE]
Ah, OK.

[quote name='KingBroly']I feel like this episode should've started out with an old 1950's recap like 'Last week Ship got a PS3, and the misses wasn't too happy. How will Ship get out of this one? STAY TUNED!'

Or something like that.[/quote]
Kind of like that two-part G.I. Joe episode where Cobra drugged Shipwreck and put him on an island with clones of all the other Joes to brainwash him. And for some reason the clone-Joes kept melting and Shipwreck very nearly lost his shit. That really messed me up as a child. I think that was the darkest episode of an 80s cartoon ever. :shock:

Anyway, great show. I agree with Cheapy that they are getting better and better. The flow in this episode was great. You never lingered on any one game longer than needed and it kept things brisk. At the same time, you pretty much answered most of the questions I would have about the given releases. Nice job.

I think this is probably the best week for downloadable games yet. I don't have a 360, but if I did, I'd be all over Bomberman. Meanwhile, Paper Mario and Balloon Fight are my first VC purchases. I never got a chance to play the former, and the latter was one of my favorite 2-player games on the NES. My brother and I used to bet chores on Balloon Fight matches, which only occasionally resulted in fights. ;) You'd earn mad street cred if you could successfully deke the fish, with him getting right on top of you but not eating you. The game also includes an aneurysm-inducing single player mode where you have to avoid sparks (and the fish) while the screen scrolls.

How come you don't list all the games you talk about in the post? I forgot the names of the import games you discussed.

Hey great show guys. I would agree it's getting into a good groove nowadays.

Just curious....what are the intro and outro tunes from? I'm a nerd and I'm nosey like that lol.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Do you and your co-host share a mic? 'cause it sounds like one you is always in the background or further away from the mic.[/QUOTE]

Yep, we just talk into the air and let the built-in mic on my Macbook do its thing. I'm looking into getting mics for us sometime soon so that we can get a little better audio quality.

[quote name='letsgetacid']Hey great show guys. I would agree it's getting into a good groove nowadays.

Just curious....what are the intro and outro tunes from? I'm a nerd and I'm nosey like that lol.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the intro music is from Paper Mario and the outro music is from Bomberman.

Just listened - good work, Ship. I like hearing about the GR flips on there as well. Though it makes me sad :cry: (no GR near me any more). I hope you got a PS3 Enchanted Arms at GC for $13.50 and turned that into $36 at GR ;).

I also listened to last weeks show tonight and just wanted to say I thought the little breakthrough of Western PA accent was hilarious - I was glad Wombat was there to catch that. What word did you say that came out that way (yeah, it's very late here and my memory is shot)? I know you aren't from PA, but I am and my cousins used to have the heaviest western PA accents you can imagine so I busted out laughing when I heard that and then Wombat commented on it. Good stuff.

FWIW, my family is from the Latrobe/Greensburg area near Pittsburgh, though my parents took me to CA when I was 5 so I escaped having a permanent accent. (To her credit, one of my cousins managed to fight it off in adulthood but that's because she became an actress and had to drop it or else).

Oy - you guys and your coop game playing and 4 year anniversaries :roll:. My 14th is in 2 weeks. That reminds me, I ought to do something about it this year! Nah, I'll wait till next year - 15 is a bigger deal. After a while, only the 5-year intervals make any difference ;).

The CAG Foreplay logo now displays as the album/video artwork for every video file I play in WMP11. I have no idea why that is--anyone else having this happen? Good show again.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The CAG Foreplay logo now displays as the album/video artwork for every video file I play in WMP11. I have no idea why that is--anyone else having this happen? Good show again.[/QUOTE]

It's working! Muah hah hah hah hah!

Actually, I have no idea why that would be happening. It's just a jpeg imbedded into the mp3 id tag.

bread's done
Back