Best Headset?

dafoomie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I'm on my 4th Official 360 headset, now its got the same loose wire/cutting out problem the others had. Can anyone recommend a great headset that won't shit the bed after a week and a half? It doesn't have to be 360 specific, anything with a 2.5mm plug should work just fine.

Right now I'm looking at:

Plantronics cell phone headset: 15.99
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Headse...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184799652&sr=1-86

Gamecom X20: $14.99
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-1...ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184799682&sr=1-117

Gamecom X10: $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Over...ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184799728&sr=1-123

Gamecom X30: $16.99
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Unde...0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184800874&sr=1-1

Halo 2 headset: $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Plantron...ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184799728&sr=1-130

Motorola X205 (the coach's headset): $23.99
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Gami...0?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1184800957&sr=8-10

Any other suggestions? I'd prefer over the ear. That big X205 looks the sturdiest.

What I'd really like is a nice Aviation headset with a 2.5mm jack, but those seem to be a little out of my pricerange.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']get the wireless headset. I absolutely love mine.[/QUOTE]
If I could get one for $30 or less, I'd bite. $60 is way too high though, plus I have problems hearing my friends when they use theirs.

I love the Halo 2 headset. I use it with one of those 360 headset adapters and never had any problems with it. And the audio is waaaaay better then the crappy stock MS headset.

I had problems using the halo 2 headset on my 360 idk...The wireless headset had problems in the begining but apparantly they made a revision and the newer versions are working better.

My microsoft ones are fine except for the fact that my daschaund chewed up both ear cushion things that I had

I bought the Motorola X205 and it's amazing... just take it out of the controller after you're done with it, because it's dumb and will drain your batterys life.

Im also looking for a good 'permanent' headset. I hate the one that came with my 360, it works, but the band digs into my head on the right side and gives me headaches.

Right now Im using this free preorder bonus headset that was for 'Hour of Victory', and no, I did not buy that shitty game.

This one is an 'under the ear' type, where it clips onto your earlobe. Its nice, but it doesnt have a mute switch, only a mute button that you have to hold down the entire time you want it muted. I dont need everyone on the server to hear me asking my wife for a drink or whatever.

I don't know what kind of crap you guys do to your headsets. I have had my 360 for one year now, and im still on my first headset.

[quote name='help1']I don't know what kind of crap you guys do to your headsets. I have had my 360 for one year now, and im still on my first headset.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was going to say....I've had my original 360 headset for over a year. With the original xbox, I only had 1 break on me, then I got the H2 one which crapped out, and then I used some crappy cordless phone one and it worked fine.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Yeah I was going to say....I've had my original 360 headset for over a year. With the original xbox, I only had 1 break on me, then I got the H2 one which crapped out, and then I used some crappy cordless phone one and it worked fine.[/QUOTE]
With mine, the wire connecting to the plug eventually wore out and started cutting the mic in and out, similar to how you might have to hold the wire or plug a certain way to get both sides to work on a cheap pair of headphones that you've had for a while.

I want this to be my final headset purchase, I want something that isn't going to break. I would take a heavy duty headset if I could find one for a reasonable price with the correct jack.

Ok, I have spent time trying to figure out the best headset myself.
WORST by far is the Plantronics X30 (Which they are calling Gamecom on here). Imagine an Ipod earbud shaped like a giant lima been (so big that it wont fit inside the ear) attached to a gummy work on the top and the bottom, which causes the mic boom to stick out way far away from your face. DO not buy this. I returned mine and for an extra 20 bucks bought the:
Motorola X205 madden headset. I figured quality would be worth the 50 bucks at the time. It was high quality, nicely padded headstrap, the ear cup is super sturdy, the surround is really comfy, the sound quality was great - it also went up really loud. The turn off for me was two fold- A. the "pad" on the other side of the earcup is extremely hard and digs into the side of your head. This was painful, and I found myself taking the headset off between games. B. To compund issue A, it was really heavy and strained my neck, so I took them off frequently for that reason as well. I did sweat in the earcup once or twice. I ended up selling these. After a few months.

My only experience with the wireless headsets is that many of them sound bad when I hear others using them online. Haven't spent any time with one myself, but my buddy is always charging his. Too bad it doesn't use a USB to charge, or it could plug into the 360.

Currently, I am using a stock MS headset, and just buy multiple new ones on the cheap when I can, cause its gonna break sometime.

I was considering that Motorola Head Coach headset, but theres an isssue with it that kills it for me.

Any headset that has a complete over the ear cup on it, wont that cut off sound from the game to that ear? That headset might be good for Madden, but in a FPS, the sound direction alerts you to the location of enemies. I think having a giant speaker over your left ear just for voice chat would screw that up.

[quote name='NWgamer666']Ok, I have spent time trying to figure out the best headset myself.
WORST by far is the Plantronics X30 (Which they are calling Gamecom on here). Imagine an Ipod earbud shaped like a giant lima been (so big that it wont fit inside the ear) attached to a gummy work on the top and the bottom, which causes the mic boom to stick out way far away from your face. DO not buy this. I returned mine and for an extra 20 bucks bought the:
Motorola X205 madden headset. I figured quality would be worth the 50 bucks at the time. It was high quality, nicely padded headstrap, the ear cup is super sturdy, the surround is really comfy, the sound quality was great - it also went up really loud. The turn off for me was two fold- A. the "pad" on the other side of the earcup is extremely hard and digs into the side of your head. This was painful, and I found myself taking the headset off between games. B. To compund issue A, it was really heavy and strained my neck, so I took them off frequently for that reason as well. I did sweat in the earcup once or twice. I ended up selling these. After a few months.

My only experience with the wireless headsets is that many of them sound bad when I hear others using them online. Haven't spent any time with one myself, but my buddy is always charging his. Too bad it doesn't use a USB to charge, or it could plug into the 360.

Currently, I am using a stock MS headset, and just buy multiple new ones on the cheap when I can, cause its gonna break sometime.[/quote]

The coach's headset was on clearance at Sears a few weeks ago when I was there for $20. If it's dropped in price at all this wekend (and still there) I might see about picking it up.

[quote name='dafoomie']What I'd really like is a nice Aviation headset with a 2.5mm jack, but those seem to be a little out of my pricerange.[/QUOTE]

You know, I've never considered that before. I have a very nice aviation headset, how would I go about and connect it to the 360?

As for me, I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force X2. It's a wireless headset that outputs both the game sounds and mic conversation through the earcups. No need to bother the neighbor and I don't have to buy a speaker set-up.

[quote name='daroga']The coach's headset was on clearance at Sears a few weeks ago when I was there for $20. If it's dropped in price at all this wekend (and still there) I might see about picking it up.[/quote]

Amazon has it on clearance right now for $24

That's the one that I use, and it works perfect for me... Maybe you just have really small ears or a tiny ass head or something.

^^My head is not small. I'm a man who weights 325 lbs. Ipod earbuds fit in my ears just fine. I'm surprised you like that headset. No issues for you at all?

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']You know, I've never considered that before. I have a very nice aviation headset, how would I go about and connect it to the 360?[/QUOTE]
You would need an adapter to convert your plugs into a 2.5mm jack. Some of the nicer ones have a 2.5mm plug for use with cell phones, and some companies offer adapters for that purpose. The ones I saw looked expensive though, but they're meant to be connected between your headset and your airplane. You'd probably be the best sounding player on XBL if you got that to work.

I ended up buying 3 Plantronics headsets from PacificGeek for a total of $20. One of them is identical to the M175 and cost $8, the other two cost $2 each, plus about $8-$9 shipping. If PacificGeek gets some discounted shipping codes again, that should be a good deal. They're cheap since they were made specifically for a phone system with no longer exists, but they work with any 2.5mm jack.

$1.77
http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=21295&C=203&S=1102

$7.99
http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?ID=21296&C=203&S=-1

[quote name='dafoomie']You would need an adapter to convert your plugs into a 2.5mm jack. Some of the nicer ones have a 2.5mm plug for use with cell phones, and some companies offer adapters for that purpose. The ones I saw looked expensive though, but they're meant to be connected between your headset and your airplane. You'd probably be the best sounding player on XBL if you got that to work.

I ended up buying 3 Plantronics headsets from PacificGeek for a total of $20. One of them is identical to the M175 and cost $8, the other two cost $2 each, plus about $8-$9 shipping. If PacificGeek gets some discounted shipping codes again, that should be a good deal. They're cheap since they were made specifically for a phone system with no longer exists, but they work with any 2.5mm jack.

$1.77
http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=21295&C=203&S=1102

$7.99
http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?ID=21296&C=203&S=-1[/quote]

Let us know how they sound once you get a chance to try them. I never considered using cell phone headsets before, but I'm sure they are way more comfortable(and lighter) than most of the xbox offerings. I like the ear/over the head options for the second one.

That first Pacific Geek link is a damn fine headset...I have the Plantronics branded one, and it's quite nice for gaming, as I used it with the old XBOX Communicator module on Halo 2.

Also, they're showing up as in stock, but $0.00. I ordered one, as I'd like a backup. I have the Intec 360 headset adapter coming via amazon ($10 shipped) hopefully tomorrow. I can't stand the standard 360 headset for longer Halo 3 sessions.

I do have to say, though, that my fave headset has to be the Jabra EarWave. It's comfy, has a quality build, and good sound. That will be my first choice to check out with the adapter...

[quote name='Ronin317']That first Pacific Geek link is a damn fine headset...I have the Plantronics branded one, and it's quite nice for gaming, as I used it with the old XBOX Communicator module on Halo 2.[/QUOTE]
It works quite well, but its damn uncomfortable for me, I hate earbuds. If you can stand them, then it'll work for you. The earclip it comes with kind of wears out after a while, as well. 2nd headset has its issues, the mic seems to be designed for people who have their mouth on the side of their face, has trouble picking up unless you're yelling. Hearing isn't so great either.

I'll probably pick up the Messenger Kit for $30 since it includes a standard headset. If not, I'll try to find an Xbox 1 headset, everything but that little plastic clip worked like a champ.

The 0.00 price is probably accurate, they run 'free' items that you only pay shipping on.

Coupon for $4.99 shipping from Pacificgeek is: PACIFICGEEK

[quote name='NWgamer666']
WORST by far is the Plantronics X30 (Which they are calling Gamecom on here).[/QUOTE]

I've had that headset for over a year now and love it. I've never had any issues with it. It fits comfortably, is lightweight, and the sound quality is great. No-one I've played with has told me it cuts in or out either when I'm speaking.

My only complaint is the control for the volume/mute is halfway up the cord itself as opposed to being near the controller base as the standard 360 headset. However, after a few minutes you'll quickly get the feel for where it's at in relation to your hands, so that isn't a problem for long.

I was actually looking for a new head set I have the x30 and it never gave me any sending or receiving problems but it hurts my ears after wearing it for a time, i would also like to know how the wireless head sets do.

ive gone through like at least 10 wired headsets... but MS overnights me new ones everytime......

they are crappy wires and they dont last. i have cosidered rewiring the MSone with better wires that wont crap out... it would cost like a few dollars and take 15 minutes to do.

ive also considered buying like a 150 dollar headset so i know the noobs on XBL can hear me laugh as i teabag them lol........

no but really pay a few bucks and get a good one or put up with the free POS's that ms hands out like candy...

ive gone through like at least 10 wired headsets... but MS overnights me new ones everytime......

they are crappy wires and they dont last. i have cosidered rewiring the MSone with better wires that wont crap out... it would cost like a few dollars and take 15 minutes to do.

ive also considered buying like a 150 dollar headset so i know the noobs on XBL can hear me laugh as i teabag them lol........

no but really pay a few bucks and get a good one or put up with the free POS's that ms hands out like candy...

I love my Turtle Beach Ear Force X2, the only problem I have had with it is that I can't get the mic to work but I think I might have a defective one.

Anyone have the Intec 360 headset adapter? Mine still hasn't shown up...but I'm dying for it t get here. I hope this thing works like it should.

It seems that every headset I check reviews for is a hit or miss. Is there any headset that consistently works? I have the original headset that comes free from the 360 premium (the one with new heatsink), but it always echoes unless I put the volume on it real low. It's really annoying when you can't hear comfortably through the headset and the tv.

Anyone have an opinion on the Earforce X3 wireless headset?

One of the main problems I had with the Earforce X2 was that it was difficult to hear voice chat over the game music and explosions. It was useless during co-op of Gears of War.

The Headset Adapter arrived today, so I tried it out on a few games of Halo 3, and it's pretty good. If you can find yourself a nice mobile or cordless phone headset that is comfy for you, then this is the way to go. The volume dial is a little touchy, more so than the MS one, but screw it, I set it once and leave it anyway.

Here's the page on amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Intec-DUS0166-I-Xbox-Headset-Adapter/dp/B000FUG5V8
I haven't been able to find it at a B&M store yet.

You can get a wireless phone 2.5mm headset BT adaptor then use any BT headset. I was using this for a while till I got sick of plugging the damn thing in to charge (both the adaptor and the headset..)

[quote name='Justden']Anyone have an opinion on the Earforce X3 wireless headset?

One of the main problems I had with the Earforce X2 was that it was difficult to hear voice chat over the game music and explosions. It was useless during co-op of Gears of War.[/QUOTE]
I was seriously considering the X2, but I'll probably skip it after hearing this.

I just fixed my regular 360 headset (clip inside the adapter broke, was stuck on mute), so I'm good for a while longer.

I got the Halo 3 headset but I think I might return it. The problem is that I have to talk really loud or the mic won't pick up my voice. So it's pretty hit or miss online.

The headset that comes with the system is much better if you can live without wireless.

bread's done
Back