Weirdest dollar purchases you've ever made?

I think my purchase yesterday take the cake for weirdest purchase I've EVER made at a dollar store or elsewhere. I found copies of a VHS movie in a Dollar Tree chain store up my way, which were 12 years old.

The movie/tape: Mortal Kombat: The Animated Video

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mortal-Kombat-Animated-Journey-Begins/dp/B000056YSH&h=280&w=280&sz=16&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=v6eClkCM4LyeAM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmortal%2Bkombat%2Bthe%2Banimated%2Bvideo%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

It has a copyright date of 1995 on it and says on the package that 'this video provides cheats/codes for the arcade and home versions of MK 3. Talk about OLD, huh?

What's your weirdest purchase?

A Zakka (Asian semi-dollar store) nearby was closing, and I went to skim around. Apparently, the owners took the closing as a good opportunity to have a psuedo-garage sale, becuase against the back wall, in the corner, I found a small stack of old videogames. I purchased:

Flink, Sega CD, complete
Midnight Raiders, Sega CD, complete
A CD of music inspired by the Sega Genesis game Comix Zone

I think I paid 2 bucks, but I don't remember for sure anymore. They also had the Sega CD Make your own video- Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Aladdin and a racing game for the 32X, and some of Japanese Super Nintendo and PSone games.

I have two which define me as a complete idiot, but not as much as some other people in the world. Explanation? Ok...I uh...well...does anyone remember Mr. Six? He's the six flags old dude who used to dance to that odd song on commercials or whatever? Well, my local Big Lots had 7 inch bobbleheads of the old bald man...and well...I bought one because it was originally $15 at Six Flags! Thank God for buyouts right? Well, maybe not because shortly after that I went up there to look around and found a snowglobe of Mr. Six...which uh...plays that stupid theme song. With a $29.99 msrp for the Six Flags store, who was I to pass up a piece of garbage for a dollar? Needless to say, my g/f thinks he's creepy and everytime I type on my desk I get a nice reminder that no matter what...Mr. Six thinks I'm right, because everytime I type...his head bobbles yes on top of my desk.

Hmm... at 99 cent Marukai, I bought what I thought was a tiny Hamburger pillow. Turns out there's a zipper in the middle and I can put CD's in there. Eh... it looks like a hamburger, it'll be helpful if I ever want to dressup for halloween as Hamm from Bust a Groove.

I have seen some really old software at dollar stores, utility programs on floppy disks for example with a copyright year of the early 90's. I mean who is going to buy that even for $1.00?

I can't think of anything that strange I have bought for a dollar though.

At a dollar store about 45 mins from my home, I bought the most kickass walking, talking baby.

It's amazing. When you flick the switch it comes to gear-grinding life, spinning its motor and screeching, "Mummy, mummy, daddy, daddy" and then proceeds to play music. Yes apparently evil dollar store infants can produce music out of their chest, not to mention speak out of their chest.

It's provided many a minute of enjoyment, most notable when I turned it on outside my roomate's closed door and just walked away to enjoy the hilarity. He came out nearly 15 minutes later saying "WHAT THE fuck IS THAT?" after an inexplicably shitty, um, 'session' with his GF. Priceless.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']At a dollar store about 45 mins from my home, I bought the most kickass walking, talking baby.

It's amazing. When you flick the switch it comes to gear-grinding life, spinning its motor and screeching, "Mummy, mummy, daddy, daddy" and then proceeds to play music. Yes apparently evil dollar store infants can produce music out of their chest, not to mention speak out of their chest.

It's provided many a minute of enjoyment, most notable when I turned it on outside my roomate's closed door and just walked away to enjoy the hilarity. He came out nearly 15 minutes later saying "WHAT THE fuck IS THAT?" after an inexplicably shitty, um, 'session' with his GF. Priceless.[/quote]

I thought for a second that you actually bought....a real baby.

I've never bought anything game related at a dollar store, but the best buck that I ever spent was on a factory sealed Super Mario Bros (w/o Duck Hunt) for $0.89 at a Gamecrazy about 3 years ago.

[quote name='briansraregames']I've never bought anything game related at a dollar store, but the best buck that I ever spent was on a factory sealed Super Mario Bros (w/o Duck Hunt) for $0.89 at a Gamecrazy about 3 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Seeing your location I'd say that it would be "weird" if you didn't buy that for a dollar ;)

[quote name='psiufoxx2']At a dollar store about 45 mins from my home, I bought the most kickass walking, talking baby.[/quote]

That's amazingly creepy. You should film it and put it on You Tube!

[quote name='beane316'] I have two which define me as a complete idiot, but not as much as some other people in the world. Explanation? Ok...I uh...well...does anyone remember Mr. Six? He's the six flags old dude who used to dance to that odd song on commercials or whatever? Well, my local Big Lots had 7 inch bobbleheads of the old bald man...and well...I bought one because it was originally $15 at Six Flags! Thank God for buyouts right? Well, maybe not because shortly after that I went up there to look around and found a snowglobe of Mr. Six...which uh...plays that stupid theme song. With a $29.99 msrp for the Six Flags store, who was I to pass up a piece of garbage for a dollar? Needless to say, my g/f thinks he's creepy and everytime I type on my desk I get a nice reminder that no matter what...Mr. Six thinks I'm right, because everytime I type...his head bobbles yes on top of my desk.[/quote]

LOL I hate to say it, but I kinda sat there and over-analyzed those Six Flags commercials and Mr. Six is probably half his supposed age in the commercials. It's some sort of weird ugly mask he's wearing, I think, unless I'm dead wrong and he really IS that old and energetic.

Either way, good find, though he always kinda creeped me out too.

lol sadly...if it has a huge price sticker on it, and it's a dollar in mint condition...I can usually not resist >.< but upon a quick Wikipedia (which means take with a grain of salt) search, I found this tidbit...

Due to his spryness, it is believed he is played by a much younger actor under heavy makeup and possibly a bald skullcap. Six Flags has thus far refused to reveal the actor's identity. However, in February 2006, writer Paul Davidson revealed on his website [1] that Mr. Six was played by Danny Teeson of Queer Eye for the Straight Girl. Further proof of this identification was found by Mark Evanier, using Google. He found a reference to Danny Teeson playing Mr. Six on the website for Professional Vision Care Associates. His name has since been replaced with "Mr. Six" on the site.[2] In addition, Danny Teeson is listed on the Internet Movie Database as playing Mr. Six.

Underlining sucks...but yea...I guess that answers that lol

I think ive seen those MK tapes at the dollar store over here too...

The weirdest thing that comes to mind for me is a pin of rini (sailor chibi moon) aka the annoying girl with the pink hair from sailor moon. I was at an anime convention and I didn't want to leave with nothing, didn't buy anything before this because everything was bootleg and it was all overpriced of course, so that pin was sitting there in a dollar bin and I picked it up.

Six Flags actually retired Mr. Six. He is no longer used in advertising and even his ride at Six Flags New England, Mr. Six's Pandemonium is now just called Pandemonium (it's a spinning coaster).

I bought pink panties for my at-the-time girfriend along with a "personal massager" and a bag that said "surprise for a girl" on it (all at a dollar a piece). Took out the kiddie toys from the bag, put the panties an massager in the bag then gave it to her. Ahhh the good ol' days before marriage.

bread's done
Back