Glasses, Contacts, Surgery, or Perfect Vision

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
So the question of this thread is to see who wear glasses, contacts, had surgery, has perfect vision, or has no clue what their vision is because they're too cheap, lazy, etc. to get their eyes checked.

I use to think I had perfect vision, but when I took a Physical back in 2003, I failed the vision test and was told to see an eye doctor. Well, I still never did. From what I gather, my right eye seems to be perfect, but my left eye isn't. But since only one eye isn't perfect and I don't really drive (and I sit in the front row in classes), not worth the hassle for me to pay $50 for an exam.

All right, so what's the percentage at CAG? On most gaming forums, the percentage who wear glasses/constacts is usually above 50%.

Absolutely useless without my glasses. Occasionally sort of useless even with them.

I wear contacts in the summer so I can rock some shades, though.

Had lasik in 2000. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Wore glasses for a long time and was really tired of them. Never liked contacts.

Contacts (The kind you throw away every day), then I wear glasses when im not going to be away from the house so I save some pairs of contacts.

i have an interesting predicament, my right eye is like 20/40 my left eye is 20/15, 20/20 is what you want your eyes to be. I dont want to wear eyeglasses for just one eye, and contacts were a hassle when i tried them. So its either go without glasses or a monocle. Right now its no glasses, until i find a monocle salesman

I have glasses.. don't really like them, but I'm used to them now.

I'm more or less completely blind without them; everything more than 1 ft. in front of me is a blurry mess.

Contacts for me. I've had them for about 10 years now. I think I'm supposed to throw them out every two weeks, but I end up using them for months. Don't tell my eye doctor.

I have glasses for the time being and only got them about a year ago. Wearing glasses is starting to feel uncomfortable so I won't be surprised if I get contacts within a year or two.

I wear glasses, but ehy don't do much. I'm 20/100 and i think the other eye is a little better. Not sure if that's with or without glasses. I'm legally " blind as a bat".

EDIT: Actually. I looked up and legally blind is 20/200, I'm just low vision. Still not good enough to drive, though.

I have glasses for long distances, but i end up wearing them all the time...is that going to hurt my eyes? :)

Glasses. I wear contacts for special occasions, but working in front of a computer every day make my eyes too dry to wear them daily. Once my vision stabilizes, I want to do laser.

One contact for my left eye, which is a lazy eye. I haven't worn them in several years though...I need to get some more because it's a restriction on my license.
I can see perfectly without them though, it's just that my right eye does most of the work, which will lead it to lose its sight more quickly over the years. The contact puts the left eye's lazy ass to work so that they share the load.

[quote name='Liquid 2']One contact for my left eye, which is a lazy eye. I haven't worn them in several years though...I need to get some more because it's a restriction on my license.
I can see perfectly without them though, it's just that my right eye does most of the work, which will lead it to lose its sight more quickly over the years. The contact puts the left eye's lazy ass to work so that they share the load.[/QUOTE]That's basically my situation. My left eye seems to not be as good as my right eye. I have no idea how bad, all I know is that when I took online vision test, or look at my computer monitor with my left eye (I have a 17" LCD), I can't see my monitor over 2.5 feet. I don't really know if this is something I should be concerned with or not. I don't have a full driver's license yet, so hopefully I can pass the vision test when I get mine sometime this year. Like you, since my right eye over powers my left eye, I can see okay (unless I cover my right eye). I think my right eye is losing some sight, but oh well.

$50 is too much for an eye exam, and then glasses are expensive. I'll just wait until I'm almost blind to probably get an exam.

I have had glasses since I was in 4th grade, I am thinking about trying contacts later this year when I go for a new exam.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Them damn video games! :D[/QUOTE]I play more video games than most, stare at a monitor/TV screen for around 12-17 hours a day, and still have better vision than most. Don't ask me how I do it.;)

Contacts, I can't see jack shit without them. I'll probably get lasik in a few years.. I want to wait as long as possible, because I've heard bad stories and want them to get as far along with the procedure as they can.

glasses also. i never liked contacts, plus the glasses go well with my huge nose. ive had them since 3rd grade so its really hard for me to imagine myself without them, theyve been on me longer than my pubic hair, and im pretty attatched to that too.

Glasses. Would like to have lasik, but I am way way too big of a pussy to have surgery done to my eyes for fear of losing them.

Among the wonderful gifts that the Marine Corps gave to me was free PRK surgery back in 2004. I've been close to 20/20 since then. Before that it was glasses.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I used to wear contacts years ago but they gave me headaches so I stopped. Plus, I like the ease of use with glasses.[/QUOTE]I'm curious as to blurriness can give headaches, because I get headaches all the time and can feel the pain in my eyes (well, stress on my eyes).

[quote name='levi333']Contacts, -8.50 in both eyes FTW!

Laser surgery is a dream. Had eyewear since 2nd grade, don't remember what it's like w/o.[/QUOTE]That's really bad. Glasses back then must have been really thick. I doubt my vision will ever get that bad, I hope.

Damn, over 75% of CAG Members wear glasses/contacts. I'm curious as to whether these people found out they needed them by a random eye exam, of if they were just having problems seeing (so they went to see a doctor)? I was thinking around 60%, unless the perfect vision people aren't responding to this poll. :p

Probably a little better than 20/20 vision here (at least in one eye IIRC), I can see really long distances and very fine detail.

Also through women's clothes.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm curious as to blurriness can give headaches, because I get headaches all the time and can feel the pain in my eyes (well, stress on my eyes).[/QUOTE]

That's called eye strain. You probably get it pretty bad from being in front of a screen for 12-17 hours a day. You'll probably become seriously near sighted in a few years as you get older.

Extremely nearsighted, I've had glasses since first grade. I did wear contacts ("Rigid Gas Permeable") for a few years between 10th grade and the year after graduating college. Broke one (had the same pair that entire time) and needed glasses *right then*, so then had glasses again. Tried contacts again a few years later, either they had changed or my eyes had, my eyes were always red and dry, then when my son was born due to the lack of consistent sleep my eyes were always tired so I went back to glasses.
I am tempted by laser eye surgery, everyone I know who's had it in the past couple years loves it, but that's a big step, plus I haven't ever worked on the timing to fund it via my FSA.

Interesting article on sitting close to a screen and causing eye damage:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_105.html

[quote name='Apossum']That's called eye strain. You probably get it pretty bad from being in front of a screen for 12-17 hours a day. You'll probably become seriously near sighted in a few years as you get older.[/QUOTE]I've done it for 5 years heavily and haven't had a huge problem, but it could be why my left eye isn't as good as it use to be. I just have strain every once in a while (not everyday) thankfully. Right now, it's just really painful.
[quote name='dtcarson']Extremely nearsighted, I've had glasses since first grade. I did wear contacts ("Rigid Gas Permeable") for a few years between 10th grade and the year after graduating college. Broke one (had the same pair that entire time) and needed glasses *right then*, so then had glasses again. Tried contacts again a few years later, either they had changed or my eyes had, my eyes were always red and dry, then when my son was born due to the lack of consistent sleep my eyes were always tired so I went back to glasses.
I am tempted by laser eye surgery, everyone I know who's had it in the past couple years loves it, but that's a big step, plus I haven't ever worked on the timing to fund it via my FSA.

Interesting article on sitting close to a screen and causing eye damage:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_105.html[/QUOTE]Crap, I sit close to my monitor in the dark all the time. :( I wonder if I'm screwed for life.

[quote name='TC']Had lasik in 2000. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Wore glasses for a long time and was really tired of them. Never liked contacts.[/QUOTE]

How's your vision as of today after seven years? I'm seriously considering about lasik. I heard the technology improved over the years. How much does it cost you?

My friend stated that you need to get lasik again in the future after getting it the first time. Is that true?

For everyone with lasik, do you recommend it? If so, how much did you pay to get lasik? Thanks for your time.

bread's done
Back