Guilty Gear II Overture Thread - Yes, it's a RTS (Updated: First Video)

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
[size=+2]Guilty Gear II
Overture
[/size]

[size=+1]Official Teaser Site[/size]

Update: First Video

Update: Crapload of Screens

Update: New Direct Screenshttp://www.gamersyde.com/news_4794_en.html

Scans: http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/5909/1330_0001.jpg

Screenshots:

h-668_75223_girute013.jpg.jpg

h-668_75223_girute014.jpg.jpg

h-668_75223_girute015.jpg.jpg

h-668_75223_girute016.jpg.jpg

h-668_75223_girute011.jpg.jpg

h-668_75223_girute012.jpg.jpg

Ky???

http://www.famitsu.com/interview/article/2007/07/14/h-668_75223_girute08.jpg.jpg

Don't know what to think...

Looks interesting (to me at least) though I didn't expect that from Guilty Gear...

Trouble with RTS' though are always the controls... the limited use of the controller (as opposed to mouse/keyboard) makes for a more difficult control scheme that I really don't know if any console RTS has solved yet (Middle Earth was a fair start, but I've not played C&C)...

I dunno man, I just don't know.

after a million iterations of GGXX, this is pretty anti-climactic. maybe it'll be really good though.

Er, WTF?

Looks like there's the ability to control individual troops, assuming from that targeting reticule, but christ, leave the series in 2D if it looks that ugly in 3D.

The developer should take this and make it online multiplayer only. Then the game would be like an MMORPG, but instead of boring click combat, it would be an actual fighter, consisting of hundreds of 1v1 battles taking place on a massive field. There could be a few commander units who oversaw everything and yelled out commands to certain players.

Think Samurai Warriors, but with an actual awesome fighting system, and no stupid statue-AI clowns standing around waiting for you to kill them. Instead you've got a true human opponent fighting you.

You could take it a step further and keep stats for wins/deaths/etc. You wouldn't actually upgrade your hero, it would just be a running tally.

Also there should be environmental elements to try and take over. Like, if you reach the top of a mountain, you can set off an avalanche and really hurt the other army.

WHY HAS NO ONE MADE THIS TYPE OF GAME YET? FIGHTER RTS?

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm squinting trying to understand what is going on here and what the hell happened to Ky?

GG in 3D? This will not end well.[/QUOTE]

It's the Holy War. If I remember my GG history correctly, this is from the same alternate timeline that had Sol join the Order that Ky's a part of. (Which is why his uniform in these screens looks a little like Order Sol's.) It's also where I-No came from.

Also, that's not Ky. It's some new guy called "Fate" or something like that. I don't remember exactly though.

[quote name='BustaUppa']My main problem with this is that damn "II" in the title. I mean what the hell???[/QUOTE]

Cause, it's the first numerical only sequel. :p

Order of Releases:

Guilty Gear
Guilty Gear X
Guilty Gear XX: Midnight Carnival
Guilty Gear XX: #Reload
Guilty Gear Isuka
Guilty Gear XX: Slash
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core

There may have been a GGX redo, but I'm not sure.

They do need to move the fuck on with the real story though.

[quote name='Logain8955']There may have been a GGX redo, but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]
There are actually three versions of X, counting the original (and not counting the horrible GBA version). Aside from X, there's X 1.5 (arcade), and X Plus (PS2).

[quote name='CouRageouS']GG in 3D? This will not end well.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Mr. Beef']Now, I don't claim to be knowledgeable when it comes to GG, but shouldn't they be 2d?[/QUOTE]
The original Guilty Gear on PS1 was actually originally going to use pre-rendered CG sprites for all the characters, as seen here and here. It wasn't until pretty late in development that they decided to change it to hand-drawn. So, I don't have any problems with them giving 3D a shot, as the original game was initially made with 3D in mind, anyways. For what Overture is supposed to be, it's really the only choice.

And to people bitching that it's not another fighter: please. They've made no less than a half-dozen versions of what is basically the same fighting game. A little variety never hurt anyone, and I think it'll be an interesting new way to experience the series.

Update:

GGII Overture is a prequel to the GG games... it takes place during the holy wars when Sol was part of the order (monks) thus the use of Order Sol. The game is like a RTS CTF where I think the flags are the head generals of your opposing army...

Boo! Just looked at the screens, and they broke my one of my favorite series! I'm up for something new, and I LOVE the storyline the series has going (goofy as it is), so I guess I can accept this as long as they keep making kick ass, beautiful 2d fighters.

[quote name='Strell']The developer should take this and make it online multiplayer only. Then the game would be like an MMORPG, but instead of boring click combat, it would be an actual fighter, consisting of hundreds of 1v1 battles taking place on a massive field. There could be a few commander units who oversaw everything and yelled out commands to certain players.

Think Samurai Warriors, but with an actual awesome fighting system, and no stupid statue-AI clowns standing around waiting for you to kill them. Instead you've got a true human opponent fighting you.

You could take it a step further and keep stats for wins/deaths/etc. You wouldn't actually upgrade your hero, it would just be a running tally.

Also there should be environmental elements to try and take over. Like, if you reach the top of a mountain, you can set off an avalanche and really hurt the other army.

WHY HAS NO ONE MADE THIS TYPE OF GAME YET? FIGHTER RTS?[/QUOTE]
so... you want an online Chronicles of the Sword...

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']so... you want an online Chronicles of the Sword...[/QUOTE]

Really haven't played SCIII, so I read up on this mode.

I guess that's a close approximation, sure. Just it's all real-time and everyone is controlling one character.

Video makes it look kind of interesting, actually. Except that it's kind of like...Sonic meets Dynasty Warriors. I guess Sol is one fast mofo.

Graphics are a little mish-mashed looking. Those bright colors contrast a lot with everything else, which I guess is the point, but it doesn't look cohesive altogether. From an animation standpoint, I think it's working well, being that it's 3D (as built and imagined from 2D).

I mean there's a chance this game could be really good, but it's got a lot to overcome from this genre.

bread's done
Back