Gears of War for PC!!!

Patriot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Gamers Get Ready for Gears PC

Warning to all PC gamers: the Locust Horde is coming.

Gears of War®, a Games for Windows title slated for release in the 2007 holiday season, features the amazing tactical action and multiplayer excitement found in the critically acclaimed Gears of War for Xbox 360™ that has sold more than 3.5 million units. In addition, gamers will enjoy a variety of all-new content, including three new multiplayer maps, a new multiplayer game type, game editor, five new campaign chapters, and DirectX 10 support.

Gears of War thrusts gamers into a deep and harrowing story of humankind’s epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet.

With Gears of War, Epic returns gamers to the massively scoped worlds, memorable characters, co-operative gameplay, and hyper-realistic combat that gamers have come to expect from the franchise, plus a few new surprises.

Features:

* Frag-filled new content. Gears of War will feature locations that are unique to the franchise and the genre. Players will encounter all of their favorite foes from the Xbox 360 version; however, these intense encounters will take place in some new environments and allow players to manipulate the new game modes and technology found only in a Games for Windows title. Boasting three new multiplayer maps, a new multiplayer game type, game editor, five new campaign chapters, and DirectX 10support, Gears of War, will challenge and push the limits of the PC gaming experience and provide an unparalleled visual presentation.

* Engaging and disturbing cinematic story. Movie-like cut scenes, cinematic camera moves, and in-game storytelling bring the brutal, emotionally charged narrative to life. Gamers control Marcus Fenix and his fire team as they pit advanced technology against the overwhelming and horrific Locust Horde.

* Unmatched online gaming. Gears of War will tap into the power of Games for Windows LIVE™ to deliver online matchmaking for its Gold account members. The service will enable gamers around the globe to connect via their PCs, allowing players to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player Achievements, customize games, and create personalized profiles.

* New game editor. The game will also feature the all-new game editor, guaranteeing new user-generated content in the future. The Gears of War community will be able to tap their endless creative potential to develop an unlimited number of user-created levels through complete access to the Unreal Editor. Players can now import custom artwork into the engine, create particle systems, scripted encounters, cinematics, and more.

* Astounding visuals in next-generation gaming. Gears of War ushers in the next generation with incredible visuals, pushing DirectX 10 visual designs and bringing out the smallest details in the largest battle. Gamers experience a rich, dynamic world with a supreme level of detail. Characters come to life with unbelievable model quality and a physics-integrated animation system that has them truly reacting intelligently to events as they unfold around them.

* Hyper-realistic and intense combat. In Gears of War, the battlefield is a lethal place—to foolishly stand out in the open is to invite an untimely demise. To survive, gamers must employ strategy, take cover using the interactive and dynamic environments, and suppress the enemy with blind fire, using their weapons and teammates to outwit and outfight their terrifying enemies.

- http://gearsofwar.com/News/Gears_PC.htm

I only see a few people actually buying this, because i'm guessing you will have to have a beast of a computer to play it. lol

Big ass bump--

Mark Rein says there's "20% more content," "5 new chapters," and "a new MP mode." No requirements out yet, but he also said in regards to a lan demo of it: "we were running this on 8800s and the game was running at twice the framerate of the 360 version..."

here's a new vid:
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=113901

the interview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25896.html

Quick question about this Windows Live crap-- if I don't have Vista, am I not going to be able to play with people who are playing this on Windows Live?

[quote name='Apossum']Big ass bump--

Mark Rein says there's "20% more content," "5 new chapters," and "a new MP mode." No requirements out yet, but he also said in regards to a lan demo of it: "we were running this on 8800s and the game was running at twice the framerate of the 360 version..."

here's a new vid:
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=113901

the interview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25896.html

Quick question about this Windows Live crap-- if I don't have Vista, am I not going to be able to play with people who are playing this on Windows Live?[/QUOTE]

I think that Windows Live requires that you have Vista. But seriously, Possum, I think you should make the leap. You're really missing out by not using DX10 with that 8800 j00 got.

Anyway, 20% more content is more than I had expected. That's a significant amount of stuff there. Since everyone on the 360 front seems to have abandoned Gears permanently, I think I'm just going to sell that version when I pick up the PC version.

Thanks for the links tho, gonna check dat shit out.

I'm really not ready for the jump though...I'm worried a bunch of my homebrew programs won't be compatible and that it'll be a huge pain in the ass to install drivers and Vista versions of everything. especially when XP is absolute perfection right now.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm really not ready for the jump though...I'm worried a bunch of my homebrew programs won't be compatible and that it'll be a huge pain in the ass to install drivers and Vista versions of everything. especially when XP is absolute perfection right now.[/QUOTE]

Compatibility would be a concern, I suppose. I don't have any homebrew shit, so I have no idea about that stuff. As far as drivers though, that takes literally 5 minutes to get up to date, so shame on you.

I'll be interested to see if Crysis' DX10 mode makes you convert. You know that shit's pretty.

I'm OT again. Shame on me.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm really not ready for the jump though...I'm worried a bunch of my homebrew programs won't be compatible and that it'll be a huge pain in the ass to install drivers and Vista versions of everything. especially when XP is absolute perfection right now.[/quote]

Dont wory 'Possum Gears is the first game that you can use Games for Windows Live on xp with.

[quote name='Jewelz23']expect them to be high, very high.[/quote]

Not really. I expect them to be around the same as UT3 for PC.

[quote name='Chacrana']Compatibility would be a concern, I suppose. I don't have any homebrew shit, so I have no idea about that stuff. As far as drivers though, that takes literally 5 minutes to get up to date, so shame on you.

I'll be interested to see if Crysis' DX10 mode makes you convert. You know that shit's pretty.

I'm OT again. Shame on me.[/QUOTE]

it's mildly on topic...can't say I'm too confident in Crysis right now.

Dont wory 'Possum Gears is the first game that you can use Games for Windows Live on xp with.

sweet!

I'm glad that Games For Windows Live is finally being implemented into more than Halo 2 and Shadowrun. It's taken MS close to a year since the launch of Vista and the GFW shit to get things together, but now that games finally seem to be starting to use the GFW features and the GFW Live shit, it's like... whoa. Sorta like we have the simplicity of a console game, but we're not limited by shitty hardware.

Seems unbelievable that you can max out Gears on an 8800 (given how insanely good it looks) and run it at 60+ FPS, but I'll take that result, gladly.

If Windows Live is required to play or the non live multi is gimped, theres no way any PC user should support this.

Windows live is an abomination and spits in the face of everything PC gaming has been about for decades.

[quote name='Kayden']If Windows Live is required to play or the non live multi is gimped, theres no way any PC user should support this.

Windows live is an abomination and spits in the face of everything PC gaming has been about for decades.[/QUOTE]

A silver account is free and lets you play multiplayer, unlike Xbox live. It's all that extra shit that you have to pay for. Not sure what all that could be-- if it's demos and betas, well, then there's no reason to pay for what Steam provides for free.

[quote name='munch']Wait, so the free Windows Live lets you do multiplayer? That's nice.[/QUOTE]

Slight exception-- cross platform games are only with a Gold subscription.

From the Wiki:

Differences between Gold and Silver Memberships

Games for Windows – Live Silver Membership Features

* Single gamertag
* Common gamer profile
* Common gamerscore
* Single player achievements
* Private chat via text and voice
* Common friends list and online presence
* PC only multiplayer including browsing a list of active PC games

Games for Windows – Live Gold Membership Features

* All Silver membership features
* Multiplayer matchmaking with friends
* TruSkill matchmaking
* Multiplayer achievements
* Cross-platform gameplay

I don't really care since my XBL account will carry right over, but it doesn't look like Silver is gimped if all you want is MP. Only thing that bothers me is that they can't bring themselves to stick an "e" at the end of "True." :lol:

[quote name='Chacrana']Seems unbelievable that you can max out Gears on an 8800 (given how insanely good it looks) and run it at 60+ FPS, but I'll take that result, gladly.[/QUOTE]

The quote says "8800s". Note the plural. I take that to mean an SLI setup.

[quote name='Kayden']If Windows Live is required to play or the non live multi is gimped, theres no way any PC user should support this.

Windows live is an abomination and spits in the face of everything PC gaming has been about for decades.[/QUOTE]
That makes me want to buy a couple copies of this game.
[quote name='ringlord']The quote says "8800s". Note the plural. I take that to mean an SLI setup.[/QUOTE]

I think the plural actually refers to the fact that they had a LAN setup, and I'm guessing each PC had a 8800.

[quote name='munch']What does "Active" PC games mean? Would they pull one?[/QUOTE]

I doubt Shadowrun will last forever, but if XBL is any indication, they won't pull them.

The quote says "8800s". Note the plural. I take that to mean an SLI setup.

I highly doubt the game will take 2 8800s to max.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Vista only right?[/QUOTE]

nope, it runs on XP as well. Epic would not go for that shit, I imagine.

I would actually be suprised if the requirements of this game were as high as Unreal. Unreal has 4 player co-op and the levels of that game are much larger and you will be playing with more people.

Probably will pick this up on BF if there is a sale along with UT3 (need them to be 25 or less since my current PC is shit and I probably will have to play them at a shitty res until I get a new rig).

I don't think the requirements are going to be high. Hell, I'll be shocked if there more than Bioshock (pun was intended). But seriously, I don't think they'll be high.

Windows live is an abomination and spits in the face of everything PC gaming has been about for decades.[/quote]

Because If you already pay for XBL you have to pay extra for GFW Gold. :roll:

[quote name='Chacrana']I think that Windows Live requires that you have Vista. But seriously, Possum, I think you should make the leap. You're really missing out by not using DX10 with that 8800 j00 got.

Anyway, 20% more content is more than I had expected. That's a significant amount of stuff there. Since everyone on the 360 front seems to have abandoned Gears permanently, I think I'm just going to sell that version when I pick up the PC version.

Thanks for the links tho, gonna check dat shit out.[/quote]

Vista is required for Windows live. Gears is supposed to have an alternate method for playing online in XP

[quote name='n25philly']Vista is required for Windows live. Gears is supposed to have an alternate method for playing online in XP[/quote]

No its not. There is nothing built into vista that lets people use windows live. Its an application within a program. I am in the Universe at War beta and Im running xp and I can use GFW LIVE just fine.

[quote name='InuFaye']No its not. There is nothing built into vista that lets people use windows live. Its an application within a program. I am in the Universe at War beta and Im running xp and I can use GFW LIVE just fine.[/quote]

It was originally Vista only. I didn't know they were extending it to XP

[quote name='InuFaye']Not really. I expect them to be around the same as UT3 for PC.[/quote]

This game wasn't made for PCs to begin with, so i think it would be very hard for Epic to make it scale as much as UT3.

[quote name='munch']I don't think the requirements are going to be high. Hell, I'll be shocked if there more than Bioshock (pun was intended). But seriously, I don't think they'll be high.[/quote]

I think Bioshock levels of min/rec specs sounds about right. Epic knows this game and the engine better than anyone, and even though it was originally developed for the 360 I think they'll be able to optimize it.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=4&cId=3161597

This is a great QA with Mark Rein. For most of the 5th page he talks about graphics and Crysis vs Gears and says "do I think Gears of War will look better than Crysis on the PCs people actually own? Yes. But that's OK. Neither of them's gonna look bad."

Makes me think their going to do a good job optimizing this game.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']This game wasn't made for PCs to begin with, so i think it would be very hard for Epic to make it scale as much as UT3.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they just plop the game into the latest version of the Unreal engine though (presumably what UT3 uses?) I'd think it'd scale damn well...

Eh, whatever. It's purdy... that's all I know.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']This game wasn't made for PCs to begin with, so i think it would be very hard for Epic to make it scale as much as UT3.

[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but isn't a 360 basically a PC? wouldn't programming for it basically involve optimizing it for its specs?

on a side note, I'm sure Epic had a PC version planned from the beginning, so that's hopeful.

Well look at one of the more lazy ports from consoles to PC, Stranglehold. It requires a dual core CPU, 2GB RAM and a 7800. They could have optimized the game and had it scale down to lower hardware but they took the easy way out and said, 'if you want to play the game, then you'll need a system that compares to the consoles'.

So it's not automatic that Gears will run on the same 2GHZ single core CPU, 512MB RAM, and 6200 card that UT3 will, but considering the developer and what Mark Rein said in that interview, it's safe to assume that they're going to do a bang up job optimizing this game.

Which is great because I don't plan on upgrading to an 8800 until spring/summer of next year. So the better this game looks on a 7900GS, the happier I'll be.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Some good stuff coming our way soon... Unreal, Crysis, Team Fortress 2, Gears of War. Nice, nice.[/quote]

Yup. Can't wait :) ... Can I add CoD 4?

[quote name='Ranger Rick']Yup. Can't wait :) ... Can I add CoD 4?[/QUOTE]

yes, you may :) Can't believe how FPS games I've been playing lately...

[quote name='Apossum']yes, you may :) Can't believe how FPS games I've been playing lately...[/QUOTE]

I can't believe how many good FPSes are on the horizon. I typically don't even like the genre, but we're finally getting a number of 'em that have potential.

Though I'm still more interested in The Witcher than the vast majority of games hitting this fall. If it's another Gothic III, I'll cry.

The more I think about this game, the more I can't wait. This game almost made get a 360. I then came to my senses and am glad I waited it out. I want to see some system specs. They have to know by now.

[quote name='Apossum']*airhumps*

ever since I saw it running at 60fps at MS' keynote, even through the shitty streaming vid, I knew I had to have it. I'm glad I built something that'll run it perfectly...[/QUOTE]

Every video of the game just looks ridiculously good. I really don't want to play it until I get my new computer and everything... well, unless I can go 1920 X 1200 on my current setup, with everything maxed.

I wonder what the DX10 stuff they're adding is going to entail...

I wouldn't go by the minimum requirements.

Those aren't even based on playable frame-rates.

To put it bluntly, the minimum requirements = the minimum required spec to get the game to load and not crash your PC.

It could be at 1-2 FPS but still technically "play". People always make their own custom "minimum power" threads to help people know what is needed 100% minimum to get a 25-30 FPS play-rate experience.

I would gauge the following as minimum requirements for 800x600 resolution with the lowest settings:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or Pentium 4 3.0GHZ
1GB ram
Nvidia 6800 series/ 7600 series
ATI X800 series/X1650 series
128mb video-ram

For high settings/near 360 experience:
Dual Core Athlon X2 3800+ / Pentium D 925 or better
2gb dual channel memory
Nvidia 7950 GT / 8800 GTS
ATI 1950 XT / 2900 Pro
256mb video memory or higher

For medium, same as above settings but the video-card can be as low as a 7900GS, 8600GTS, 1950 Pro

[quote name='NamelessMC']
For high settings/near 360 experience:
Dual Core Athlon X2 3800+ / Pentium D 925 or better
2gb dual channel memory
Nvidia 7950 GT / 8800 GTS
ATI 1950 XT / 2900 Pro
256mb video memory or higher
For medium, same as above settings but the video-card can be as low as a 7900GS, 8600GTS, 1950 Pro[/quote]

Whoa, that's trippy. My specs are almost exactly like that.

AMD Athlon X2 3800+
2 GB OCZ RAM
Nvidia 7950 GT SC 512 MB

I doubt that you'd need specs that high to run the game at a 360 level. 360 games are usually equivalent to medium settings, and even with my 7800GTX, I have yet to play a game that doesn't look better.

bread's done
Back