How many of you guys have given up on Ninja Gaiden?

Xevious

CAGiversary!
Right now I'm stuck on Chapter 9 (specifically the Helicopter fight) and I'm starting to wonder why the hell I'm playing this game. The fun factor is wearing off and the frustration is slowing creeping in...

So I'm wondering if anyone here just gave up on the game...

I was busy whooping everyone's ass, then Alma shows up and returns the favor 100 fold.

So I quit for a long while, but I just picked up Ninja Gainden Black so I'm going to try it out again.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I was busy whooping everyone's ass, then Alma shows up and returns the favor 100 fold.

So I quit for a long while, but I just picked up Ninja Gainden Black so I'm going to try it out again.[/quote]

Alma was tough but I was able to overcome that.

On chapter 9, there is like 3 boss battles after each other. Thats sucks...

The game is not as hard as most people make it out to be. I beat it on normal and just about finished hard. You just have to learn how to play the damn game to be able to beat it easily.

I've pretty much just given up on life.
depressed.jpg

No one will sit next to me.

I beat it, but I wasn't so enthused that I'd go through it again, even as Black/Sigma. Forget "hard" -- it's full of cheap hits and poor design choices that make it difficult, not because it's legitimately challenging.

I didn't think was that hard Ninja Gaiden on normal... sure there were a few tough bosses but nothing that made me want to quit. After beating the game, I tried hard and I pretty much quit after chapter 2.

I have NG Black and found it mor frustrating than fun. However there have been many games I did not enjoy at first that I "forced" myself to play and ended up liking them. I plan on forcing myself through this game eventually. In the mean time I will play games I actually enjoy on first impression.

Finished the original version on normal and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. Mostly cause it took 6 months to finish due to the pain in the ass bosses.

I really loved this game at first (playing the Black ver.) but around chapter 6ish I started to lose intrest. I have enough stress in my daily life with out getting my ass handed to me during my "fun time". That being said, not a week goes by without me thinking, "I should throw in some NG, soon..."

I never gave up on NG, though there were a couple spots during my first play-through that I found to be frustrating. I've been playing/enjoying a lot of games that others consider difficult since the NES days, so I guess I'm use to the sort of challenges NG throws at you. I think I finished the first edition on Normal and Hard, then I eventually beat NGB on Very Hard. I have yet to try Master Ninja mode.

[quote name='red flare graf']I went with option 1.. I didn't actually give up, but I did start another game and so never picked it back up. I plan to though.[/QUOTE]
I'm with this guy. I never got stuck, I just moved on to other games and haven't come back to it yet.

[quote name='trq']I beat it, but I wasn't so enthused that I'd go through it again, even as Black/Sigma. Forget "hard" -- it's full of cheap hits and poor design choices that make it difficult, not because it's legitimately challenging.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

I really wanted to like this game but it doesn't grab me the same way something like Shinobi or Otogi does. As it stands the classic NG games are the only reason I haven't ditched my copy.

I played it on Xbox and now again on PS3.

I agree with the poster a few posts up. The combat is fantastic but the puzzles and everything else is more annoying than it is good.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']QFT.

I really wanted to like this game but it doesn't grab me the same way something like Shinobi or Otogi does. As it stands the classic NG games are the only reason I haven't ditched my copy.[/QUOTE]
Shinobi 4 life :p

I wish they'd make another

I've beaten both the original and Black twice, and if the Wizard World Chicago wasn't two weeks away I'd be buying a PS3 to play Sigma.

I went pretty far on black on normal, but gave up and started a easy file (where you have to die some times in the begining) and I think I beat it? I played it alot at my friends.

Definatly a hard game, fun, but I got sick of it.

I spent about 15 minutes getting shot out of the sky by the lame-ass undead archers during the lame-ass jumping puzzles. I quit afterwards.

Had it been a boss rush, I would've played beginning to end easily.

Alma was the only boss where I felt I didn't stand a chance, I can't seem to touch her. Beating 50+ monsters in a library before her to get some power-up thing, and every time I got to her she'd hand me my ass and I'd have to do it all again. Sooo discouraging.

Once you learn how to play the bosses(until Alma), weren't to bad. They'd be hard, but never felt impossible.

wow. I just want to quote each and every one of you guys and tell you how to
get past your respective parts :lol:

for starters, rollingskull-- you can kill those guys with a few shots with the bow.

it's my favorite game, I've finished it a few times on normal and hard, beat it once on very hard (on the original release after the hurricane pack updates), and am going to take on Master Ninja in Sigma....one of these days.

I still get occasional bouts of anger at the game, but it's usually because I screw up. the game is pretty fair.

Wow, I don't feel so bad, I was able to beat it on nomal (NGB). Now, the "mission" mode completely destroyed me, I was only able to beat about 3 of them.

Now, I cheated (via gamefaqs) whenever I got stuck, but other than doing that, I was able to keep moving through it.

i've beaten ninja giaden on Very hard which was a pain in the ass to do but in reality if u know how to truely play the game its not hard. my cousin is like a billion times better than me and he plays ninja giaden black on master ninja as if it was nothing. he told me that i just have to know how to combo stuff and like use certain moves. and he told me basically izuna drop is the cheap way of getting through the game.

I only played NG on the xbox once through on Normal and found it challenging but not impossible. Just bust out those leveled up Vigoorian Flails and hack away at everything that moves. As far as the boss fights I thought the dinosaur skeleton was the hardest. Final boss fight I didnt think was too hard. That three in one boss fight was a bitch though.

As to the person complaining about alma, after you take out the 50 enemies in the library, back track and save then continue to the main hall so you dont have to keep on beating the 50 enemies.

I'll say it time and time again, I'm stuck at the jumping puzzle before the last boss. I probably should go back to it though and just finish it.

[quote name='Sephiroth1089']i've beaten ninja giaden on Very hard which was a pain in the ass to do but in reality if u know how to truely play the game its not hard. [/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I just got Ninja Gaiden Black, and I had to bring this thread back.

I keep reading things like the above post: "You need to know how to truly play."

What exactly is TRULY playing? Is there a good faq online that shows you how to play well? I found one on gamefaqs, but it seemed geared towards those who already KNOW how to play well. Anywhere that gives some tips for beginners, and then more tips as they improve?

The game makes me absolutely furious and many controllers have been broken because of it. I'm stuck at the part where you have to battle those two electrical penis-monsters in the tunnel.

I hate that game. I hate it so very much.

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']Sorry, but I just got Ninja Gaiden Black, and I had to bring this thread back.

I keep reading things like the above post: "You need to know how to truly play."

What exactly is TRULY playing? Is there a good faq online that shows you how to play well? I found one on gamefaqs, but it seemed geared towards those who already KNOW how to play well. Anywhere that gives some tips for beginners, and then more tips as they improve?[/quote]

well like truly playing as in like learning to do real moves and knowing when to do them and not just button smashing (which was a problem i had) basically learn tactics to use against enemies by watching videos of other people playing (thats how my cousin got really good) and sometimes u gotta be patient for some of the enemies. but i think if u wana really get good at the game watching videoes will help and then learning what moves they do. if anything izuna drop will work in a lot of situation but it tends to be slow so u might not make the time bonuses for a lot thing if ur into the karma runs. counter attack is quite useful too. i'm not a real expert on the game cause i used to get frustrated at the game but the game is no where impossible to beat. it just need a lot of time to work on it and to learn the mechanics and stuff.

This game is cheap...horrible design choices in areas, and bland in so many other areas. It's funny that its producer is constantly attacking other developers and series (Devil May Cry, Soul Calibur, etc.), 'cause this game is pure ass in some areas of overall design and cheapness of enemies.

Anyhow, I installed me some custom firmware, and a few trainers, and boom, I'm Ninja god. Infinite health, money and karma. Even then, the game is just passable because of the design choices.

I never beaten this game for one simple reason. Boredum.

I'll load up my file, kill some guys, find a key, backtrack, fight something, cringe during a FMV, save and quit.

Granted this is what I do during alot of games. But still nothing really engaged me about the story or characters ('Cept the EVIL dark Dragon Blade. Did you know it was EVIL? Because it is EVIL. They mention it like like 10 times during the opening. How EVIL it is.).

I have to agree with dragonjud on how bland the design is. Itagaki makes good looking, good playing characters, bland worlds.

I beat the game on hard within a month of release. I really on had 2 problems going thru it. One of the first chapters in the village when you have to beat enemies on the horses, and the very end when you need to keep on jumping up

My 360 shat the bed last week... so I started playing Black lastnight (again.)
On Hard, Im about half way through the game, in 3hrs. Game is really tactical more then anything. Target specific mobs in a group, dont play defensive fighting... have to move... The Helicopter isnt that hard, just aim and make sure your moving quickly when it attacks. By that point in the game, you should have 30k Ki... dont hesitate to use as many pots as you can, there is a vendor right after that area. Make sure you go back to the save point after you down the copter though.

fucking A I love this game..

I just recently started playing Ninja Gaiden Black for the first time. I never had an XBOX. I'm playing it on the 360 and I really love the game. It has what the NES games have in that....no matter how much it kicks my ass I want to keep playing. The combat is great. I'm also having more fun as I'm getting better with timing, counters, and combos. The Izuna Drop is great and someone I know who has played through has said it is something to use throughout. I'm only on level 6 but I think I'm playing a bit conservatively because I'm trying to use less health power ups as I go through.

I never really felt cheated when dying...you just have to know your enemies and your surroundings. I feel there is a bit of memorizing of the stages happening though because I seem to do a lot better when I know what is attacking me and from where. I do agree that I tend to do better when playing offensively rather than hanging back and over defending. Then again if your defending you might as well be using your counter. I'm not up to Level 9 but as of right now I can't see anything that would make me stop playing.

Is this thread for serious?

Honestly Ninja Gaiden really wasn't one of the harder videogames I've beaten.

The only boss I had to retry more than five times was that horseman at the beginning, before I even learned how to do certain attacks.

This game is simply NOT THAT HARD if you're not playing it on Master Ninja. I don't know what the big deal is. Even on Master Ninja it's not as hard as many other games on their highest difficulty.

Ninja Gaiden for the NES did kick my ass pretty hard, though.

The best part is unlocking all the original Ninja Gaidens... (seems to be the SNES versions.)

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']Sorry, but I just got Ninja Gaiden Black, and I had to bring this thread back.

What exactly is TRULY playing? Is there a good faq online that shows you how to play well? I found one on gamefaqs, but it seemed geared towards those who already KNOW how to play well. Anywhere that gives some tips for beginners, and then more tips as they improve?[/QUOTE]

Sephroth pretty much answered this, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I think it might be easier to treat this game more of a "fighting game" than a brawler. This game looks more like a "final fight" but you can't play the game that way. You have to block and know which moves (and weapons) to use for each part. For most people, after awhile, it starts to click. You also have to get and learn the new moves. That jump/dash move can be abused liberally to get through much of the game.

This is odd, since I didn't find the game that difficult on normal (didn't try the other ones, though the missions on Black afterwards are nearly impossilble for me). It's funny since I play many of the "hard" games and I usually have my ass kicked, but this one wasn't that bad. The bosses can be annoying, what I would do is, if I got stuck after about 3 attempts, I would go and read an FAQ on gamefaqs. Sure, it might be "cheating", but as many of you said, this is fun time. I don't need a great feel of accomplishment from beating something hard by myself, I'd rather beat it a bit faster, and lose that feeling.

I just beat black on normal...great great game. I'm going to go back and do hard...not right now but I will. Great great game. Looking forward to 2.

I got Ninja Gaiden Sigma for christmas and I'm on chapter 12 now. This will be my 5th time through and I'm still enjoying it.

I gave up, I really don't care for difficult games. I don't have time for them, and even if I did, I'd rather play something less frustrating that I can get through without ruining the flow of the game.

I didn't give up on the game, but my rental did end. I rented the game back when it came out for the xbox and didn't finish it before my rent ended, I think I finished probably 60-70% of it. Will be buying Ninja Gaiden Black when it drops in price so I am ready for the sequel.

[quote name='red flare graf']I went with option 1.. I didn't actually give up, but I did start another game and so never picked it back up. I plan to though.[/quote]

Same here, though I bought NGB used from someone when they were about to trade it into Gamestop and only get about $4 for it. I offered $15 for this and Stubbs The Zombie, so I thought I got a good deal.

Only thing that has annoyed me about this game is the wonky camera(on NGB). Otherwise, I love the action level of this game.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I think it might be easier to treat this game more of a "fighting game" than a brawler. This game looks more like a "final fight" but you can't play the game that way. You have to block and know which moves (and weapons) to use for each part. For most people, after awhile, it starts to click. You also have to get and learn the new moves. That jump/dash move can be abused liberally to get through much of the game.[/QUOTE]Took the words right out of my mouth... I was just about to say that you need to approach Ninja Gaiden like a fighting game. The first boss was kicking my ass when I tried to fight like a brawler. Finally I swallowed my pride and looked at a FAQ. I checked out the strategy outlined in the FAQ, tried it out in the real fight, and then it "clicked." I realized that I had to actually bide my time, wait for openings, dodge and counterattack, things like that. Typical hit 'n' run tactics would not work.

As the game went on I had a lot of fun getting into the fighting system and discovering the intricacies of each weapon. I never had to refer back to a FAQ, which I was quite proud of myself for - although I freely admit that I may never have finished the game without abusing that healing power-up. Once I cleared an area I could just switch to that power-up (I forget if it was a sword or some sort of guantlet) and regenerate my health... that was the breakthrough I needed to finish the game without destroying my xbox in frustration, haha.

bread's done
Back