- - - - -

Glasses at a waterpark?

#1 Zmonkay   Awesome in Small Doses CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

Hey all, I'm hittin up a local water park with some buddies of mine in a couple days. Problem is, I where glasses, no contacts, and am blind as a bat (though not legally blind) without them.

Any suggestions? What do those of you with glasses do?

Where em?
Pocket em (though I can easily see them getting smashed or falling out)?
other?

#2 Dick Tracy   The Man in the Yellow Hat CAGiversary!   38659 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

Put them in a locker?

The water park will be a trip if you can't see what's going on.

Besides, it's not like you need skill or precision to ride down a slide.

#3 Pancake Rabbit   Have A Cigar CAGiversary!   8427 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Pancake Rabbit

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

You're gonna have to take those bitches off and convince one of your buddies to dye his hair pink so you can follow him around and you won't lose sight of him.

#4 hohez   Old Cynical Gamer CAGiversary!   1772 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:51 AM

I say where em and get one of those elastic bands on the ear pieces. Keep something around that you can wipe them off with, and just deal with some blurryness. I wear glasses too and shit is ten times less fun when I don't have them on and can't see shit.

#5 RAMSTORIA   fate is inexorable CAGiversary!   11980 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:51 AM

you should be fine at a water park, those slides arent that crazy. i wear mine on roller coasters all the time, they never fall off.

i did lose a pair of glasses last summer rafting down a river, but it was my own fault. we had been drinking a lot and it came down to trying to throw everyone off the boat. they were lost in the struggle. so if you think going to be wrestling anyone off watercraft on a body of water with a moving current that you cant dive down to the bottom in case they fall off, then no. as it is, youll be fine. you dont to miss the bikinis after all.

#6 naes   Yoshi! CAGiversary!   4340 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

If you're really worried, buy some big goggles and wear them over the glasses.

#7 tiredfornow   Banned Banned   35417 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

tiredfornow

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

Like Brak said, just leave 'em off and you'll have a crazy 'trip' if you don't know wtf is going on.

#8 Magehart   It's on like Donkey Kong! CAGiversary!   2684 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Magehart

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

Okay guys, if you didn't know you MUST deflate your tubes before you go down the wicked slides. The more you deflate them the faster you go. Here @ Raging Waters I got air on a few slides doing that. When you're a few stories up it's scary ass shit leaving the safety of the slide for a few moments and when you hit the sldie again it hurts like hell but you will never have more fun than you do when you do that.

#9 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9896 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

What water park is it? If it's a Cedar Fair owned water park they might be more strict since some Cedar Fair parks won't let you wear glasses on certain coasters. For example, I always wear a shirt at waterparks and they wouldn't let me on any slides, not just body slides but ones that you sat in an innertube for yet at non Cedar Fair parks, I have never been told that.

#10 Zmonkay   Awesome in Small Doses CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming.

If it makes any difference, as YoshiFan1 said it might, it's 6 Flags Great America in Gurnee Illinois

#11 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9896 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:03 AM

I think you will be ok, Six Flags is generally not strict when it comes to stuff like that.

#12 Zenithian Legend   Banned Banned   13122 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Zenithian Legend

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:08 AM

Definitely go for the locker if you can. I wore glasses as a kid, my vision (fortunately) corrected itself as I grew older. I believe I'd either leave them at home, in the car or give them to my mom as a kid :lol:. I'd go for the locker option though.

#13 I AM WILLIAM H. MACY   William "Hog" Macy CAGiversary!   3539 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

I AM WILLIAM H. MACY

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:11 AM

Why not just wear them while you can (waiting in line, sitting in place or few places in the water, or out of the water), and then when you move around rapidly, go under water, or on a slide, just hold them and wait till you stop again.

#14 triforcer   I'd buy that for a dollar CAGiversary!   1159 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

triforcer

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:41 AM

i'd probably just wear them as i'm also pretty blind without my own glasses. just keep one hand on them and the other on your little raft thing.

#15 Zenithian Legend   Banned Banned   13122 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Zenithian Legend

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:46 AM

i'd probably just wear them as i'm also pretty blind without my own glasses. just keep one hand on them and the other on your little raft thing.

Could get one of those sports strap things for the back like Kurt Rambis!

Posted Image

#16 Zmonkay   Awesome in Small Doses CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:47 AM

Could get one of those sports strap things for the back like Kurt Rambis!

I was actually thinking about something along those lines. I'm gonna hit up the mall tomorrow to see if I can find one cheap somewhere.

#17 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming.

If it makes any difference, as YoshiFan1 said it might, it's 6 Flags Great America in Gurnee Illinois

When I saw you lived in Chicago, I figured that's where it was. I wish I could go there right now (I went there 8 years ago).

Good thing I don't wear glasses (although my vision is getting worse). Now that discourages me from getting them, since I'd love to enjoy water rides.

#18 naes   Yoshi! CAGiversary!   4340 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:43 AM

I heard that the PS3 can help fix your eye problems.

Good thing I don't wear glasses (although my vision is getting worse). Now that discourages me from getting them, since I'd love to enjoy water rides.

#19 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

Lol, this thread gets the top result on google. Looking back at this thread, with the high percentage of CAG members wearing glasses, I would think some would have known a solution for glasses at a water park.

I heard that the PS3 can help fix your eye problems.

Uh, no.

I did a search, and it seems like the best option is to where contacts, from those who have bad vision and are going to a waterpark:
http://answers.yahoo...21105233AAmtI2x

So they don't float, seems like its the best to wear goggles over contacts or keep your eyes closed under water.

When looking at Hurricane Harbor's site (at Six Flags Great America):

WATER PARK RULES

Children should not be left unattended
Height, weight, and health restrictions are strictly enforced
Non-swimmers must be accompanied by an adult who can swim
Casts are not allowed on slides, or most attractions
Do not wear eyeglasses
or jewelry in pools, as they may not be retrievable if lost during operation
Face masks are not allowed
Running or diving is not allowed anywhere in the waterpark
There is no smoking, except in designated areas at the Tiki Bar and at Treasure Chest
Capacity is limited, so the park may not be available to all guests during peak times

APPROPRIATE ATTIRE

In order to participate in waterpark activities, guests must wear lined swimsuits. Street clothes, cut-off shorts, denim shorts or athletic clothing is not allowed in any water areas. In addition, swimwear with buttons, snaps, rivets or zippers is not allowed.

Shoes are not allowed in any attraction
Aqua socks are not permitted on slides
Infants' diapers may be changed in restroom changing stations only
Toddlers are required to wear swim diapers
Swimsuits are only allowed in Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, and must be appropriate for our family environment
Shoes, proper shorts and cover-up attire is required when returning to the theme park

http://www.sixflags....nformation.aspx

Some water parks just said eyeglasses weren't allowed in general.

#20 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Prescription goggles!

#21 GuilewasNK   No gimmicks necessary. CAGiversary!   21267 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

Unless you are there to ogle the girls in their bikinis, take the glasses off or get prescription goggles.

#22 Gnuh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

I wore my glasses one time when I went to a water park. Yeah.... Water made the inside of my frames slick and I lost a lens. What a horrifying experience. If you had more time buying generic prescription goggles are around $30 and are very good depending on the company.

Be especially careful if you are wearing half frame glasses that have a clear plastic thread holding the remaining half. I think they are more prone to falling out because of the lack of physical material holding it in.

#23 darthbudge   The Real DB CAGiversary!   20047 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

I would get the Prescription Goggles but if that is too expensive for you then just wear your glasses. I have been to that same water park and none of there rides were all that extreme that you might loose your glasses.

#24 seanr1221   :'( CAGiversary!   24430 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

Zee goggles! Zay do nothing!

#25 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

I wore them to Blizzard Beach/Typhoon Lagoon at Disney World. I just kept them on unless a dick employee told me to take them off, in which case I held them.

#26 Lieutenant Dan   Ice Cream! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

I would get the Prescription Goggles but if that is too expensive for you then just wear your glasses. I have been to that same water park and none of there rides were all that extreme that you might loose your glasses.

Man, I don't know what kind of waterslides you guys go on, but I can go down the tamest of slides and somehow manage to clunk my head on the slide as I fly out of my tube, then spend the rest of the ride trying to crawl down the slide fast enough so the person behind me doesn't smash me.

#27 Zmonkay   Awesome in Small Doses CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

Well, got back today, and it went great. Ended up wearing some trunks I forgot I had that have a sipper pocket. Any time in the water or about to go down a tube, in the zipper they went. I'm rediculously nearsighted, so without em, I woulda easily lost track of my group amongst the crowds. I have to pair near the same perscription, so I just wore my old pair with the knowledge that if they broke, no harm no foul.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

#28 jbuck138   Wario for President! CAGiversary!   718 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

jbuck138

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

Glad it went well.

#29 Deadpool   I club baby seals CAGiversary!   2387 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

cool.

#30 hoho-jijo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

hoho-jijo

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

prescription sunglasses.