CAGcast #83: Nuts Ahoy!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD explains his best/worst E3 picks, complains about his first Xbox 360 theme purchase, and both hosts give impressions on MGS4. Not only do we cover the latest game industry and shopping news and answer your questions from the CAGbag, but Wombat tries to guess CheapyD's long running secret!

Win a PS3 from Goozex & CAG and don't forget to take the CAGcast Audience Survey!

[media]http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast83.mp3[/media]
Download - 107 minutes, 49MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photo!

Can you find me?
go.jpg

appreciate the show as always Cheapy :D

also, congrats Cheapy and Wombat on getting two Podcast Award nods :)

[quote name='mikeohara'] congrats Cheapy and Wombat on getting two Podcast Award nods :)[/quote]
Awesome! I didn't even know.

Thanks for your support guys, I'll be sure to plug away when the voting opens to see if we can win one of these things.
http://www.podcastawards.com/

Listening to it now, good show so far. ;)

EDIT: "N gay" LOL!:lol:

EDIT #2: Congratulations! Your genitals work! :applause:

Man... Metal Gear Solid does have a lot of ... nut buisness. I just loaded my old save from MGS3 and the bad guy comes in and grabs Snake's pants after saying "I was waiting for you in my room". I think that is what messed up him and his "sons" right there.

I like the way Sony does updates. Also I like the PSBlog, seeing that they are working on their consumers most wanted features. I'd hate having to wait months for updates. It is like, do you want small improvements now, or one huge one every half year? I'm weak. I want simple updates every few weeks.

Also some of the CAG's have a PS3 Wallpaper thread now.

My Thoughts on MGS4 Gameplay not being Shown at E3

I think there are two major reasons.

1.Hideo Kojima has been very up front about his feelings that the New E3 was a step in the wrong direction, he feels that the old format with the large attendance and Spectacle helps to bring mainstream awareness to gaming.

2. Since the new E3 had so many fewer Invites, there may have not been as many members of the Japanese press able to attend E3 this year. Kojima was smart to show off the game in Japan where it could make a huge splash among the Japanese Audience.

[quote name='contej85']Holy crap, congratulations Cheapy and Mrs. Cheapy![/QUOTE]

What, ah, eh? I'm listening now - haven't gotten to that yet, but congrats in advance!

Anyway, Cheapy, just wanted to say I found your response to my comments about MP3 to be entirely acceptable and appropriate. I know you don't often hear that from people in these show threads so I just thought I'd throw that out ;). I have to admit, while I really like the 3D Metroids, I haven't finished either one. I am intrigued by the Wii controls though (and it supposed to look at least marginally better than the GC ones ;)).

As for Katamari, I'm fine with "more of the same" on that one. No jaggies and a solid frame rate will be great. I've been getting the itch to bust out the old PS2 ones - now I can just wait for the new one. On the pricing: well, you guys forgot the PSP version in the incremental gouging. We had the original at the great price of $20, the sequel at an OK $30, then the PSP version at an unacceptible $40. You can see where this is going - I'm sure the 360 version will be $50 (can't imagine it is $60). I preordered it at Gamecrazy and they had it either for $40 or $50 (can't remember - but it is probably not a final price anyway).

Edit - EB/GS has it listed on their website for $39.99. That is good news if true - I'll gladly pay that for it!

Nintendo's press conference had way too much gloating, Microsoft's too. Powerpoint presentations are just boring.

You guys don't know why they didn't show MGS4 gameplay? It would've stolen the show away from anything else Sony had shown. Plus, they weren't planning to show anything until the next week or two, so they get their own spotlight to shine and announce new things. Cheapy didn't answer my question in the MGS4 thread about if you're actually excited about the game or not. Mind explaining if you're thinking about picking it up or not.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't impressed by MS's lineup this fall. Besides multi-platform third-party stuff, I'm not interested in much else. They'll be great for those that are interested in those types of games, but that doesn't include me. Maybe Blue Dragon and Mass Effect, but not enough to be pick one up with the plethora of hardware problems unless I have help to be able to afford it. What Sony has, especially from Insomniac and Naughty Dog, is more interesting to me. I guess taste has no bearing on that type of thing.

About Wombat's complaints about the MGS4 gameplay video, the cutscene was brief and you can play the game however you like. If you want to shoot everybody and not sneak, you can do it, as long as you don't suck. Cheapy, Snake hit the guy in the balls. Not a punch, but enough to knock him out.

The Heavenly Sword demo should be the same demo that's been shown at the conferences for the past year.

I like how Cheapy can read N-Gai as N-Gay so easily, but has trouble saying N-Guy like he was saying something innapropriate without laughing.

Response to Cheapy's answer to my CAGbag question: I did say that you guys poo-pooed the hype, not the game. ;)

Congrats on the big news, Cheapy.

Good show, despite Cheapy's crankiness.

Wow - the surprise was one thing, but the October due date is even more of a surprise. How could you keep a lid on that for so long? My wife is due mid November and we've known for ages, it seems (also a boy by the way, but that's nothing new to me). You guys are due right around the corner... Too bad, though, Cheapy, you'll have to play Mass Effect with the volume down so as not to wake up your newborn :lol:. Though perhaps the noise of the 360 itself will wake him up, even with the volume all the way down ;). (By the way it was me who mentioned that the Halo demo was probably running off the HD - like I said, my Elite is very quiet when running XBLA games and the like but a beast with 360 games so it seems, maybe, MS has quieted down the fans though I have no idea what that means for overheating).

Edit - One final note from the end of the show when Wombat asks if there are any big releases next week - HELLO, Mario Strikers Charged! Now, sure, not everyone will be into that, but it is the first *real* online game for the Wii and (friend codes aside) will be a big test for the online capabilities of the Wii and, more importantly, Nintendo's online infrastructure. It should be a nice early test of how well things like SSBB (hopefully online, though Nintendo is suspiciously quiet on that front) and Mario Kart (definitely online) will go...

wow.. Congrats.. teach him well Cheapy.. Teach him well.. [about video games of course]

Great show once again... i was expecting the "YOU WIN" soundclip when Wombat got the answer..

Downloading to ipod now. I'm guessing from some posts that cheapy is going to have a mini cheapy running around soon, well congrats to you cheapy and hopefully you'll teach him in the ways of cheapassness.

[quote name='CheapyD']Awesome! I didn't even know.

Thanks for your support guys, I'll be sure to plug away when the voting opens to see if we can win one of these things.
http://www.podcastawards.com/[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! People's choice podcast? This is equavilent to best overall, im thinking. Wery big props to you cheapyd ( and wombat).

And for the love of god if you don't choose CAGcast in the gaming section please please please do not choose AllGamesInteractive (AllGaysUnfunnyJoystiqReadalong). AGI sucks soooooooooooo much compared to the CAGcast.

Oh and CONGRATS!

Wow, congrats to Cheapy and Mrs. Cheapy! Great news!

My first child, a boy, arrived last December. Having a kid is a huge change, but absolutely one for the better.

(Just do yourself a favor and keep him the hell away from the Destructoid crew.)

Cheapie you're really off on Metroid Prime on the GC. Amazing game. AT the same time many folks don't like it. Why? They expect a standard shooter and then are disappointed when they don't get it. (Disclaimer: I never was a big Nintendo fan either. I just got a GC 2-3 yrs ago. And I didn't think the second one was that great if only because it was more of the same.)

I think you're biased against Nintendo because you think only NIntendo games get a break from reviewers. F that. They are no different than any other franchise like Halo or GTA or any other big developer like Rockstar or Bioware. I mean hell you already gave MS's lineup an A+ this fall. You're already saying Bioware hasn't let you down and it (ME) will live up to the hype. You're a bit hypocritical there.

Also I think you diss the Metroid Prime 3 for one reason. Lack of hi-def graphics. IT's funny that you say, 'sure it plays different, but it looks the same.' without quite realizing that you showed your bias and how many people actually would rather have games that play different rather than just look prettier. After all what makes games different from movies is your interaction with the screen.

The controller for the Wii is really NIntendo's hi-def.

Also Wombat is right. Sony and others just show hi-def trailers and Americans buy the game. American gamers are too easy.

And Congrats!!!!!! on the future kid. I have a 6 yr old and a 9month old myself.

And Rockband? I think it r won't take off as much as you think. I'm with Wombat there. Guitar Hero has the brand by far. Rockband is too much $$$$. I think there's too much coordinating amongst friends to really make use of it to its full extent. IF you're only getting the game then that doesn't make it much different than Guitar Hero. I just don't see it.

Congrats Cheapy! Are you going to let your kid play with your toys or does he have to get his own? You're going to buy "him" robocop toys aren't you?

[quote name='CheapyD']Awesome! I didn't even know.

http://www.podcastawards.com/[/quote]
No fear, I got 32 machines on the floor I work at and I intend to logon each one and vote for the cagcast :D

Congrats on the incoming arrival Cheapy. I have a 3 year old and his just amazing. Since you do stay at home, you may go crazy early on in the game. Being a stay at home parent is hard as hell and definitely under-appreciated but rewarding. It'll be great.

Go is a very popular game. Kinda surprised you had never heard of it.

In fact, Hikaru No Go is a manga based on the game of Go, which runs in Shonen Jump.

And Cheapy, if you are wanting to practice, Yahoo! Games has free Go on there.

Congrats Cheapy!! Great news for you.. I am sure you are going to have a great time and get your new son into gaming as soon as he can hold that controller.

Great show as always.. Very entertaining.

Can't wait to hear some thoughts on the new Railfan.. I broke down and grabbed a copy myself that should be here next week.

On a side note.. If you have Softbank Cell service you could use a phone like the HTC TyTn which Softbank sells. You can grab one on Ebay and use an English ROM on it. You could also buy one from Softbank and reflash it to English. Then you could use the same phone with a TMobile or ATT sim in the US.

My wife is over in Japan now and she is using a Vodafone / Softbank phone that she uses over here in California and just got a SoftBank sim to use over there while she is visiting family.

Anyway.. keep up the great work.

I've thought about this before when people move to a foreign country, but what language do you teach the tyke. Obviously if the kid is going to live there, it has to learn the native language. But you yourself, only speak english. Does that pose a problem, or is it just easier for kids to learn two languages at once?

Way to go Cheapy and the Mrs.

If you play your cards rights, you're video games will only be interrupted for a few months.

Congrats on mini-Cheapy Cheapy! Now when will Wombat get a litter of lil Wombat juniors? Anyhoo, nice cast, I thought it was slightly rushed so Wombat got left behind sometimes on some of the things he wanted to say. I disagree with what you said about games getting rated higher because of the brand naming, the brand name represents the essence of what gamers like about the series. Wombat brought up a good point about GTA and Halo, etc., can't have a double standard there! When I play a GTA/Halo/Zelda/Mario/whatev game, I know what I'll be getting and I know I'll like it, and I look forward to the next one because of what the game is about, not the brand name. They're more of the same and like Wombat says, it's a good thing when done correctly! And since when did ratings matter to you cheapy! Screw ratings, they're useless anyways.

CheapyD!? Wah!? No way!

That is so amazing! Congratulations! My girlfriend is also excited for you and she thinks its great!

Goodluck with everything in your life! And you'll be a great father!

Woohoo!

Name him CAG.

[quote name='nesfan8222']congrats to cheapy and mrs cheapy on the lilcheapy. I agree with thorbahn, lets have a baby naming contest thread.[/QUOTE]

That would be disastrous, although hilarious.

Congratulations man. Now if only Nintendo would release "Daddy Training"

Very awesome news Cheapy. This explains the folks coming over... I had a feeling she was pregnant (You talked about being of that age and all) so cool beans.

Advise....

* No more cursing period. Kid learn a lot younger then you think.

* Wait on the misses hand and foot.

* Sleep. You need lots of sleep. Be prepared to wakeup alot through out the night and make sure YOU get up because you can stay home while the misses is a salarywoman. Let her rest.

* Portable Gaming will have to due.

Congrats again. PapaD

congrats cheapy. the miracle of life. i picture your son looking like yao ming when he gets older.

wombat, congrats for just being enjoyable.

as for the bomberman live conversation, i've got to say the most annoying thing isn't the changing options dillemma. should they fix one and one thing only i'd love them to work on the lag. fighting a ghost bomber sucks ass.

great show cheapy as always was listening to it on my iphone but the the fucking headphones stoped working so i hap to listening on thespeaker but still great show and u and wombat have inspired me to buy rainbow six vegas now that the packs are free so thank you guys and i look foward to playing with u guys on rainbow six vegas online congratulations cheapy on ur son and cheapy he should be born in the usa dont make him be born in japan o and more thing i plan on bying 10 1600 points card

bread's done
Back