The Offical Bioshock thread *It's OUT! Post your Specs and tell how it runs!*

munch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
138 (100%)
Who else is pumped for this game? I'm trying to decide to get the LE or not. I'll put some more stuff in the OP when I get time.

Bioshockcoverfinal.jpg

Really awesome Bioshock blog explaining the game(Spoilier Free!):

http://lotkrotan.gametrailers.com/gamepad/

Here's what you'll need to run this game. Post your specs and get opinions.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']Operating Systems:
Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or
Windows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor

System RAM: 1GB

Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).

Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card

Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor

System RAM: 2GB

Video card:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better

Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)[/QUOTE]

Possible demo coming soon for the 360?
http://rapturegazette.blog.de/

VIDEOS:

How to Kill a Big Daddy

I am 90% sure I'm buying this when it comes out unless the reviews kill it or something - I didn't get The Darkness because of this game so I hope it's good!

Looks damn good. I'm still debating whether or not I want to get the PC (10 bucks cheaper, mouse/keyboard controls) or 360 version (achievements, don't have to buy a new vid card to play it).

Here are the specs because you know they will be asked for.

Operating Systems:
Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or
Windows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor

System RAM:
1GB

Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).

Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card

Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor

System RAM: 2GB

Video card:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better

Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

Link

I don't know for sure if I'll be buying this for two reasons.

1. I'm not sure how well my 7900GS will run it. I hope it'll do ~30 fps at medium.

2. I had a bad experience with Oblivion. I'll give it another chance now that I have a better PC but it was another game that was hyped up a long time and I just failed to get into it. I'm more of an action junkie so I have no problem with HL2 or COD style "hallway" shooters and I felt a little bored when I played Oblivion with its wide open environments.

I guess it all depends on the demo.

As much as I would prefer to play this on the PC, my computer simply can't handle this game with any decent frame rate (x1650xt 256MB, 1GB ram and Athlon 64 3000+). Until I upgrade my computer (which won't be for awhile) I guess I'll have to stick with this one on 360. At least I got in on the liongames deal so the price isn't a deciding factor.

[quote name='thespamofpower']As much as I would prefer to play this on the PC, my computer simply can't handle this game with any decent frame rate (x1650xt 256MB, 1GB ram and Athlon 64 3000+). Until I upgrade my computer (which won't be for awhile) I guess I'll have to stick with this one on 360. At least I got in on the liongames deal so the price isn't a deciding factor.[/quote]

I'm probably in the same boat with buying the 360 version... my PC still has a Radeon 9800 Pro. The only games I can think of that could hype me up enough to buy new PC hardware would be Fallout 3 or Starcraft 2.

My PC's starting to fall out of these recommended requirements too. I would have to completely rebuild to play these upcoming games. Don't really want to place FPS on the 360, but might have to from now.

This game looks awesome. My specs are:

Pentium 4 3.6GHz Dual Core
7600GT OC
2GB RAM
Creative X-fi Xtreme Music

I really hope I will be able to play this smoothly on Medium Settings but high would be even nicer.

For those of you thinking about the 360 version, you may want to reconsider.

Irrational's on record as saying that the 360 version will be easier (due to a controller vs mouse/keyboard) and slightly different than the PC.

That's why I'm getting the PC version, even though my system's more along the bottom end of the spectrum. Though the very first time I ever upgraded a comp was the day I bought System Shock 2, so I'll prolly end up upgrading for Bioshock if I can afford it, hehe.

I'm building a new pc and have set mid-August as my targeted date of completion. I GOTTA have me some Bioshock!!! This game looks awesome and I can't wait to get the shit scared out of me in the corridors of Rapture.

If I'm not mistaken I think Ken Levine said something about it being around 20 hrs to completion. Maybe one of you guys can pull up some info on that.

I can't wait for this game, I am seriously considering getting the LE version. This game looks amazing, I want to call it a first person Fallout. I also love the setting, it is so great.

[quote name='cgarb84']If I'm not mistaken I think Ken Levine said something about it being around 20 hrs to completion. Maybe one of you guys can pull up some info on that.[/quote]

The only thing I found was a forum post by Levine saying at least 12 and more like 20 hours the first time through. But like others have said, you should be able to look around a lot to stretch out the game length.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']The only thing I found was a forum post by Levine saying at least 12 and more like 20 hours the first time through. But like others have said, you should be able to look around a lot to stretch out the game length.[/quote]

12 to 20 hours to finish is a PERFECT length. I hope that includes going after most of the achievements too...

[quote name='munch']Who else is pumped for this game? I'm trying to decide to get the LE or not. I'll put some more stuff in the OP when I get time.

Bioshockcoverfinal.jpg

Here's a really awesome blog explaining Bioshock (Spoiler Free!):
http://lotkrotan.gametrailers.com/gamepad/

Here's what you'll need to run this game. Post your specs and get opinions.

Possible demo coming soon for the 360?
http://rapturegazette.blog.de/[/QUOTE]

How to hunt a big daddy. Totally awesome!:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21525.html

I am definitely getting this game, I already preordered it from Lion Games for 40 bucks.

I wanted to get the PC version but I can not stand settling for medium or lower. It was I either wait for a demo for the PC if there is going to be one and get to see how well it ran or get it for 40 dollars for the 360.

There is now way I could run this on high on my laptop or desktop which is what I want, unless it was optimized to hell, but I already ordered it so eh. It ended up coming down to take the risk of it not looking that great on a computer or play it on my 32 inch HDTV with it guaranteed to look awesome.

I feel bad buying this for the 360 because then I am supporting the 360 version of what should be a PC only game.

I mean look what happened to Rainbow Six: Vegas. A complete turn away from what the series is known for just so it is easier to play and understand for console gamers. I love you Rainbow Six 3...heh.

Do not misunderstand me I own all three new consoles and have two PCs, its just that I am based as a PC gamer and I think some games should be on console while others should be on PC. Also its not that I do not want 360 only people to not experience Bioshock. I want as many people to play Bioshock as possible, but FPSs on consoles aren't that great.

Oh and I do not think the 360 version is going to be easier...it is just going to have sticky aim and I hope you can turn it off.

Thank god The Darkness let you turn off sticky aim WOO HOO because they didnt release a PC version like they did with Riddick.

I am planning on getting a new desktop when the second generation DirectX 10 cards come out and AMDs new Phenom processor looks badass.

[quote name='Razzuel']I am definitely getting this game, I already preordered it from Lion Games for 40 bucks.

I wanted to get the PC version but I can not stand settling for medium or lower. It was I either wait for a demo for the PC if there is going to be one and get to see how well it ran or get it for 40 dollars for the 360.

There is now way I could run this on high on my laptop or desktop which is what I want, unless it was optimized to hell, but I already ordered it so eh. It ended up coming down to take the risk of it not looking that great on a computer or play it on my 32 inch HDTV with it guaranteed to look awesome.

I feel bad buying this for the 360 because then I am supporting the 360 version of what should be a PC only game.

I mean look what happened to Rainbow Six: Vegas. A complete turn away from what the series is known for just so it is easier to play and understand for console gamers. I love you Rainbow Six 3...heh.

Do not misunderstand me I own all three new consoles and have two PCs, its just that I am based as a PC gamer and I think some games should be on console while others should be on PC. Also its not that I do not want 360 only people to not experience Bioshock. I want as many people to play Bioshock as possible, but FPSs on consoles aren't that great.

Oh and I do not think the 360 version is going to be easier...it is just going to have sticky aim and I hope you can turn it off.

Thank god The Darkness let you turn off sticky aim WOO HOO because they didnt release a PC version like they did with Riddick.

I am planning on getting a new desktop when the second generation DirectX 10 cards come out and AMDs new Phenom processor looks badass.[/quote]

I know what you mean, I am a hardcore PC gamer who also happens to love console gaming. While everyone gushed over how great Rainbow Six: Vegas was I felt it was a little bit of a letdown. The series has really changed since Raven Shield, and IMO not for the better. I really wish that some series would just stay PC exclusives. But there is no denying that there is a lot of money to be made in console gaming. I am buying almost all my games this fall on the PC, games that are on both PC and 360 that is. The superior graphics, controls, and the mod scene are way too many positives for me to pass up. I don't think PC gaming will ever die but I hope it doesn't become obsolete either.

On a side note I pre-ordered my copy of the Bioshock CE for PC. I have to have me a big daddy figurine!!!

I'd totally grab the PC version if my monitor wasn't so shitty. I can't pass up big and HD, so I'll be grabbing it for my 360.. PC controls are definitely my preference, so this kind of sucks.

offtopic...before i can consider getting this...

i cant find any more games for windows topics (or the halo2 pc topic)...

for some reason i cant log into live on any of my pc games.... wtf is going on.. nothing has changed on my end

I wish I could get this for my PC, but I don't have the money to upgrade for some time still and I doubt an Radeon X850XT PE would run this with decent settings and tolerable frame rate.

Is the demo PC or 360? I hope there is going to be a PC demo sometime soon. Although I don't know if I really want to play a demo of this game, I already know I'm buying it. Maybe I shouldn't spoil anything for myself.

I'm not sure. It hasn't been confirmed yet. There's supposed to be an announcement tonight on Spike TV. I hope it's a demo for both. I want to see how well it'll run on my machine.

SCREW THE 21st! Gamestop is selling Bioshock right as we speak. Yesterday I went in to preorder my LE copy and the manager said that they sped up the release date and they would start selling it today. So go pickup your copy!

I'm going to GS today to see if I can maybe pre-order the LE. I just moved so pre-ordering it before with credit was a no go. Oh well, I'll just get the regular version if I can't.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/813/813641p1.html

PC Review finally up

If you're debating which version to get, the PC version handles better. In part it's because of the greater precision with the mouse and keyboard, but also with how the plasmids and weapons are selected. With the default settings RMB switches between the two, LMB fires, and we preferred the mouse wheel to an the Xbox 360 version's bumper clicks for quickly cycling through. By hitting Shift you can bring up a plasmid and weapon selection screen if you so desire, but the mouse wheel scrolled through fast enough to stay useful. Note that you can't set LMB to fire a weapon and RMB to fire a plasmid; there's only one fire function. We also noticed the option to bind the functions "switch and fire weapon" and "switch and fire plasmid," but when we tested it out these only switched from weapon to plasmid and back again, much like the RMB default function. All weapons and plasmids are also bound to the number and function keys, making it even easier to ensure you always have the ideal attack at the ready.

The visuals too will constantly amaze, from finely detailed industrial structures to the weapon models, the choices of which areas to light and which to leave in the dark, and plasmid effects. And then there's the water. It's so gorgeous, rippling and gurgling through every one of Rapture's hallways, tumbling from ceilings and, of course, encasing the city itself. You get lots of little details to enjoy as well, like the welts on your hand when you boot up the insect swarm plasmid, the steam jets that hiss from Big Daddies after they've taken damage, fish in tanks and in the ocean that dart away as you approach, and the flickering billboards and tattered posters that remain from Rapture's glory days. The PC version definitely outclasses the Xbox 360, mostly because of the ability to crank the resolution to 1920 x 1200. If you've got a Vista rig with a DX10 card, you can expect some heightened particle effects, crisper real-time shadows, and more dynamic water, but the game looks gorgeous regardless. On our gaming PC running a Core 2 Quad processor with a GeForce 8800 GTX, and 4 GB of RAM, it ran very well, with only a few occasions of seemingly random framerate hitches. We also couldn't find an option to switch between DX10 and DX9 modes, the game just seems to default to what's in your system, unlike Lost Planet.

good to see it runs good and plays good ;)

That's a pretty good review. I played the 360 demo and the controls were a bit sluggish and felt better suited for the PC. Still the main issue are the graphics, how well the game look on an average gamer computer?

I have a P4 3.8, 1 GB, and a X800 GTO2 that is softmodded for the extra pipelines and it is also over clocked. But I doubt that my computer can even run it on medium, I think I will have to settle for either low or low-medium.

I figure, if I was able to get 55-60 frames with Lost Planet (default DX9 settings) I'm sure Bioshock won't be much of a problem (hopefully :cry: ). Either way, still gonna get it for the 360. ;)

my specs:
Nvidia 7900 GS DDR3 256mb (256-bit) (OCed w/ ntune) (PCI-e X16)
Athlon X2 5200+ 2.6GHz - L2 cache (2x1mb)
2GB DDR2-800 RAM
160GB HDD (7,200 rpm) SATA 3.0GB/s (16mb cache)
Xbox 360 PC controller
(win xp pro *student edition*, internet shut off, all system tray apps off)

My PC is getting kind of long in the tooth even though I have upgraded the CPU and graphics card as I went along. It's a socket 478 P4 3.4 GHz Prescott with 2 GB of DDR and the video card is an AGP Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB. Plus my monitor is only a 19-inch CRT. I've decided against building a new rig for the next few months until hopefully Vista SP1 is out. I'm guessing with my PC I could probably only play Bioshock with medium settings at best.

Plus, in my living room my 360 is connected to my 1080p 46-inch Samsung flat-screen LCD Denon AV receiver, and 5.1 Boston Acoustics speakers.

I played the Bioshock demo and the controls were OK on the 360 :360:, since Bioshock is not really a hard-core FPS, it is primarily an adventure/mystery with a little bit of FPS action thrown in, IMHO. However, when Unreal Tournament 3 comes out in November, I am definitely going to have to build a new PC because I would never consider playing a hard-core FPS like UT 3 on a console with the controller :joystick:.

[quote name='LemonJoose']My PC is getting kind of long in the tooth even though I have upgraded the CPU and graphics card as I went along. It's a socket 478 P4 3.4 GHz Prescott with 2 GB of DDR and the video card is an AGP Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB. Plus my monitor is only a 19-inch CRT. I've decided against building a new rig for the next few months until hopefully Vista SP1 is out. I'm guessing with my PC I could probably only play Bioshock with medium settings at best.

Plus, in my living room my 360 is connected to my 1080p 46-inch Samsung flat-screen LCD Denon AV receiver, and 5.1 Boston Acoustics speakers.

I played the Bioshock demo and the controls were OK on the 360 :360:, since Bioshock is not really a hard-core FPS, it is primarily an adventure/mystery with a little bit of FPS action thrown in, IMHO. However, when Unreal Tournament 3 comes out in November, I am definitely going to have to build a new PC because I would never consider playing a hard-core FPS like UT 3 on a console with the controller :joystick:.[/QUOTE]

the PS3 Version of UT3 supports mouse/keyboard.

[quote name='Zoglog']the PS3 Version of UT3 supports mouse/keyboard.[/QUOTE]

I wish all console games would do this, why not just allow for the option. It really is the last thing keeping me playing PC games, I can't stand a controller for FPS's. If the 360/PS3 would just have the option, I wouldn't care about missing the PC graphics.

[quote name='msdmoney']I wish all console games would do this, why not just allow for the option. It really is the last thing keeping me playing PC games, I can't stand a controller for FPS's. If the 360/PS3 would just have the option, I wouldn't care about missing the PC graphics.[/QUOTE]

They mainly have done it in the past as a balancing issue for multiplayer. Technical limitations is usually a poor excuse since this gen (and even the original PS2) had USB ports. I wouldn't care too much about missing the PC graphics because of the enormous cost and pain to make sure that stuff runs at a good framerate. But then again I love using Trainers ;)

I love how idiots at evil avatar are spinning this review as "OMG PC BIOSHOCK SUPERIOR TO 360 VERSION"... damn sensationalist media wannabes over there..........

[quote name='Zoglog']http://pc.ign.com/articles/813/813641p1.html

PC Review finally up

...On our gaming PC running a Core 2 Quad processor with a GeForce 8800 GTX, and 4 GB of RAM, it ran very well, with only a few occasions of seemingly random framerate hitches.
[/quote]

God... reviews can be so lame sometimes. REALLY? It ran well with a Core2 Quad processor, Geforce 8800 and 4gb ram??? OMG WHAT A TECHNICAL ACCOMPLISHMENT. That information is SO useful to 99% of PC gamers who want to know how this'll run on their comp!

/sarcastic vent off

Absolutely rediculous is all I have to say. It ran flawlessly on my computer on very high settings with a

ASUS P5ND2-sli
GeForce 7900GT 256MB video card
Pentium D 805 @ 2.7GHz

And I played this demo and like never before have I been so impressed by a game. I am instantly buying this for $40.

[quote name='cdietschrun']Absolutely rediculous is all I have to say. It ran flawlessly on my computer on very high settings with a

ASUS P5ND2-sli
GeForce 7900GT 256MB video card
Pentium D 805 @ 2.7GHz

And I played this demo and like never before have I been so impressed by a game. I am instantly buying this for $40.[/quote]

Yah the game seems to scale very well. I was even able to run it ok!

And I should note I was NOT just talking graphics. The atmosphere is like nothing I've ever played. LOVED it. I actually am excited to check out all the plasmids and enhancements, not to metion discover the story.

I had not gotten myself wrapped up in the hype wagon on this game because I wanted to try a demo and see how it was.

Now it's safe to say, this game is MUST buy for me tomrrow hopefully.

amd athlon 64 3200+
2 gigs ram
nvidia geforce 6600.

It will run i guess, but not on high or medium high. Probably low to medium. I'm trying to raise money for a new card, so cml if u want anyting,

bread's done
Back