My PS2 says 'Test' in that blueish font...

starboyk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So, instead of my system reading, 'PS2' on the top in that weird blue-ish font, this one reads, 'TEST', then impressed below that is 'Playstation2'. Now, I never really thought about this (bought it pre-played at an EB ages ago), but when I went to pick up one of the new systems and trade this one in, the associate went ape looking at it. He told me to try selling it on eBay first, then using THAT to buy the system with, saying it was worth a LOT more than he could give for trade, even if it had been having trouble playing some games. It also has a weird system number like DH-something-something...

Sooooo, is this worth a fair deal, or was he just goading me? I still did have him hold my pre-order for the mini, but I wanted to know about this first. I never really thought it was THAT different. Anyway, any help will be appreciated. Oh, as far as the error, I believe it's a lens issue, and eBay sells replacement lenses CHEAP now.

Thanks,
The_K

Thats a debug kit, and those are expensive. You are extremely lucky to have found one. You could do better than getting a new PStwo for it.

well, focus tests and the like use them, and they aren't available to consumers. so while they're certainly more rare than the average ps2, by a longshot, i doubt you'd end up getting much more if you went through the trouble to auction it.

Its certainly not a dev kit. Its a test/debug PS2. It looks just like a regular PS2, excpet instead of PS2 in Blue, it says Test. One of the main features is the ability to run games from burned cd's and dvd's.

I believe the blue ones were PS1's, but I could be wrong. Its not a dev kit as they cost developers 20 grand.

It is a test system. The differences are that you'd be able to play preproduction burns of games, you wouldn't be able to play DVD's, and it might not have a region lockout.

Short of that, though, without a lot of other software, there's really no use in having it. If you can sell it on eBay, whee-ha - maybe someone else will want one for novelty's sake. It's *very* strange that you've got one, though, particularly having bought it from EB. 'cause that means that either a tester stole one from a developer, or a developer sold it themselves.

Bizarre. If you were curious, you could probably use the serial number on the case, and figure out who bought the kit from Sony.

seppo

[quote name='sying']A PS2 without some features AND with DRE's, sounds like a steal to me.[/quote]

Yes but it has cool lettering which makes all the difference. :lol:

Wow, that employee was very very nice to you. Personally, if it were me and I knew what it was, I would have processed the trade and then immediately bought it for myself.

What are the odds of getting a guy who knows what you had (heck defender owns - or did he sell it? - his own game store and didn't know), plus is nice enough to actually tell you. You must be living right. :)

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']as i said, focus groups use them too, so it's not just for developers.[/quote]

I would focus on getting a working PS2 and deloping a savings fund to get a PStwo (or as I call it the TinyTwo). Or you can just sit on a nonworking semi-rare item and have the implied satisfaction that you think it is rare. Either or, whatever.

bread's done
Back