John Stewart on Crossfire on Friday - Anyone see it? WOW!

I just watched it twice, he completely destroyed them on their own show. He made an excellent statement that had to be made, that the mass media aren't journalists anymore, but part of the political system to be played by both parties.

They couldn't respond to him so they either cut him off or went to commercial.

These guys were no match for Stewart. I think the Daily Show has been leaning kinda towards this party or that as of late, but it looks like the mockery is equaling out. It's nice to see Stewart put out a message that everyone needs to hear. I applaud him for this one.

I saw clips on MSNBC, great fun! Way to go!

"You had John Kerry on your show and you call us bias?"

Oh my God!!! Kerry was on The Daily Show, he's so biased!!! What did they talk about, oh yeah Ketchup.

Dumbass CNN.

That was beautiful. It's interesting that a show based on facetiousness and sarcasm is often more insightful, intelligent, and accurate than programs designed to bring you the 'news'.

Stewart can say what he wants, but his show definitely favors Kerry even though he makes fun of both candidates. Stewart is far more active in attempting to discredit things brought up against kerry (like the swiftvets for instance) than things brought up against Bush. He can criticize crossfire for playing to political parties/strategies openly, but is it any better to pretend you're not and subtly do so anyway as he does on his show?

And yes, stewarts show is great btw :)

wow that was great, I can't belive he called that guy a dick. But that was just freaking priceless. I loved how Stuart said "My show follows pupets giving crank calls". There really are problems with the media, and it's a shame that they aren't really being addressed. I hope that once the election is over people can take a look at how the "news" is presented.

People took a look at the news after the 2000 election. It didn't lead to anything. The sad fact is that the majority of people prefer the news to simply be an entertainment medium, and those that don't mostly don't care. That's why the news media spends so much time trying to be Jerry Springer - it attracts viewers.

Those of you who want a respsonsible media - sorry, you're outnumbered.

[quote name='Ruined']Stewart can say what he wants, but his show definitely favors Kerry even though he makes fun of both candidates. Stewart is far more active in attempting to discredit things brought up against kerry (like the swiftvets for instance) than things brought up against Bush. He can criticize crossfire for playing to political parties/strategies openly, but is it any better to pretend you're not and subtly do so anyway as he does on his show?

And yes, stewarts show is great btw :)[/quote]

Stewart openly supports Kerry, but that doesn't stop him from making fun of the Kerry/Edwards team when the situation arises. Stewart's point is that his show is one of comedy and satire, and he doesn't try to pass it off as anything more. Shows like Crossfire etc openly profess non-facts as truth and this clouds everything to hell and back. It's "all theatre". Tucker's mistake was trying to criticize Stewart for doing similar things, but Stewart shut him down with "My show follows puppets making crank calls". Shows like that really are only serving to confuse things, and they were called on it and didn't know how to react. Stewart was also right about another thing; Tucker Carlson is a huge dick. I mean look at the guy.
"You're 35, and you wear a bow tie!" -Jon Stewart.

Ok, sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with seemingly everybody on here. I thought Stewart looked like an idiot on the show. He had no points to back up his arguments. He vaguely alluded to Crossfire being somehow "bad for the nation's discourse," basically saying it is worthless partisan spin and that the hosts are partisan hacks. Yes, it is true that the hosts are partisan, but that's the point- when they bring guests in, they do ask questions of the other side and often get a good back and forth. He's essentially saying that people with strong party affiliation deface the nature of good argumentation whenever they open their mouths. He kinda contradicts himself then when he pledges his support to John Kerry, doesn't he? Kerry and his team of Democrats are about as partisan as they come, as they should be, because it's what they believe in.

At the end of the clip, Stewart said the reason he thinks politicians don't answer tough questions is because "no one in the media ever asks them." Well, if this is in fact the root of the problem (which it isn't), why didn't Stewart ask any substantive questions of Kerry when he had the chance on The Daily Show? I'm sure he could have found ways to slip a few jokes in there too. Either he's supposed to be a comedian or a serious political commentator, I don't know. Seems to me like he masquerades as a serious political commentator, then when pressed, he pulls the "don't ask me, I'm just a comedian" line. I don't find Stewart particularly intelligent or insightful. I wish he'd just stick to the jokes.

I thought Stewart looked like an idiot on the show. He had no points to back up his arguments. He vaguely alluded to Crossfire being somehow "bad for the nation's discourse," basically saying it is worthless partisan spin and that the hosts are partisan hacks. Yes, it is true that the hosts are partisan, but that's the point- when they bring guests in, they do ask questions of the other side and often get a good back and forth. He's essentially saying that people with strong party affiliation deface the nature of good argumentation whenever they open their mouths.
You did not understand his point. The media is essentially allowing both parties to lie and spin and not call them on it, on the premise of "balance". A show like Crossfire has partisan hacks on both sides, spewing the party line, and making false arguments. The job of the media and the purpose of journalism is to find the truth. You may think its "balanced" when both sides are lying, but it doesn't help anyone. Its not about what questions are asked, its whats done in response to the answer.

At the end of the clip, Stewart said the reason he thinks politicians don't answer tough questions is because "no one in the media ever asks them." Well, if this is in fact the root of the problem (which it isn't), why didn't Stewart ask any substantive questions of Kerry when he had the chance on The Daily Show?
Stewart is a comedian. His show is on comedy central and his show comes on after puppets making crank calls. He is NOT a serious political commentator and has never claimed to be. Show me one instance where he claims to be anything but a comedian. A political comedian, yes, but a comedian. A guy like Bill Maher is a little more on the political side, John Stewart is more on the comedy side.

I thought Stewart made intelligent, insightful points, and the two co-hosts had no idea how to respond, because its true. Crossfire and shows like it ARE theatre, not journalism. They want two sides to go at it, and they don't care about the facts or the truth.

[quote name='twolvesfan21']Seems to me like he masquerades as a serious political commentator, then when pressed, he pulls the "don't ask me, I'm just a comedian" line.[/quote]

Although explaining a joke always risks destroying it, let me try anyway...

He's a comedian. The key joke that he tells (his 'bit', if you will) is the absurdity of the system, especially in the media. He does this by pretending to be a serious political commentator, which is in and of itself ridiculous because, as he's always willing to point out himself, he comes on following puppets making crank phone calls. The fact that people completely miss this and actually take him to BE a political commentator winds up being a joke. It proves the absurdity of the system that he can be taken seriously as a commentator, which is his goal in pretending to be one.

[quote name='twolvesfan21']Ok, sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with seemingly everybody on here. I thought Stewart looked like an idiot on the show. He had no points to back up his arguments. He vaguely alluded to Crossfire being somehow "bad for the nation's discourse," basically saying it is worthless partisan spin and that the hosts are partisan hacks. Yes, it is true that the hosts are partisan, but that's the point- when they bring guests in, they do ask questions of the other side and often get a good back and forth. He's essentially saying that people with strong party affiliation deface the nature of good argumentation whenever they open their mouths. He kinda contradicts himself then when he pledges his support to John Kerry, doesn't he? Kerry and his team of Democrats are about as partisan as they come, as they should be, because it's what they believe in.

At the end of the clip, Stewart said the reason he thinks politicians don't answer tough questions is because "no one in the media ever asks them." Well, if this is in fact the root of the problem (which it isn't), why didn't Stewart ask any substantive questions of Kerry when he had the chance on The Daily Show? I'm sure he could have found ways to slip a few jokes in there too. Either he's supposed to be a comedian or a serious political commentator, I don't know. Seems to me like he masquerades as a serious political commentator, then when pressed, he pulls the "don't ask me, I'm just a comedian" line. I don't find Stewart particularly intelligent or insightful. I wish he'd just stick to the jokes.[/quote]

Tucker Carlson everybody! Let's give him a round of applause!

[quote name='jmcc']Tucker Carlson everybody! Let's give him a round of applause![/quote]

Wow. Good one, dumbass. Actually, I don't particularly like either any of the hosts on Crossfire. All I'm saying is that they have a role to play in a free country. Maybe the real reason John Stewart and all of you are complaining that you feel claustrophobic in the media that's full of partisan hacks is because you aren't expending enough energy to become informed on whatever it is you want to know. The "truth" is at your fingertips, and when you hear these commentators spouting what you think are lies, hopefully you will become engaged enough to find evidence to the contrary. Opinion and even spin are not bad things if they get you engaged in the issues.

Lastly, to the other guy who was apparently attempting to explain the joke to me. I understand Stewart is by nature a comedic act, thank you for clarifying, but why would he go on Crossfire and do political interviews in all the magazines if he didn't want to be taken seriously? The guy obviously has a point he is trying to get across, and he has a political agenda himself no matter what he says, so doesn't that make him in effect a political commentator? All you are doing is backing him up by saying his arguments are irrefutable and it is in fact impossible to refute them because he is "just a comedian." So with that, I will shut up now and leave him alone, and bow down to the savior that is John Stewart. Thanks.

[quote name='twolvesfan21'][quote name='jmcc']Tucker Carlson everybody! Let's give him a round of applause![/quote]

Wow. Good one, dumbass. Actually, I don't particularly like either any of the hosts on Crossfire. All I'm saying is that they have a role to play in a free country. Maybe the real reason John Stewart and all of you are complaining that you feel claustrophobic in the media that's full of partisan hacks is because you aren't expending enough energy to become informed on whatever it is you want to know. The "truth" is at your fingertips, and when you hear these commentators spouting what you think are lies, hopefully you will become engaged enough to find evidence to the contrary. Opinion and even spin are not bad things if they get you engaged in the issues.[/quote]

You mostly lost me after "dumbass." For future reference, put personal attacks at the end of your rambling discourse instead of at the beginning*. Of course, I'm good, mostly, since you wrote a lot there but said basically "if you don't like the media's news reporting, do it yourself."

[quote name='twolvesfan21']Lastly, to the other guy who was apparently attempting to explain the joke to me. I understand Stewart is by nature a comedic act, thank you for clarifying, but why would he go on Crossfire and do political interviews in all the magazines if he didn't want to be taken seriously? The guy obviously has a point he is trying to get across, and he has a political agenda himself no matter what he says, so doesn't that make him in effect a political commentator? All you are doing is backing him up by saying his arguments are irrefutable and it is in fact impossible to refute them because he is "just a comedian." So with that, I will shut up now and leave him alone, and bow down to the savior that is John Stewart. Thanks.[/quote]

Because Jon Stewart and "Daily Show Host, Jon Stewart" are seperate entities. Can you not differentiate between the two? One reads jokes written for him, the other is an actual person with his own political agenda, if that helps.

*also, "dumbass?" That's weak, even for someone who represents themself with the level of ninny-dom you do.

[quote name='jmcc']That's weak, even for someone who represents themself with the level of ninny-dom you do.[/quote]

Would it be better if in response to your post, I said: "John Stewart everybody! Let's give him a round of applause!" Ooooh! Or, maybe I could call you a "dick." But, no, that would be pretty weak too. Sorry, next time I will put more time into coming up for a better adjective for you.

[quote name='twolvesfan21'][quote name='jmcc']That's weak, even for someone who represents themself with the level of ninny-dom you do.[/quote]

Would it be better if in response to your post, I said: "John Stewart everybody! Let's give him a round of applause!" Ooooh! Or, maybe I could call you a "dick." But, no, that would be pretty weak too. Sorry, next time I will put more time into coming up for a better adjective for you.[/quote]

Who's John Stewart?

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - How's this for a feud that straddles the line between politics and entertainment: CNN's bow-tied conservative Tucker Carlson vs. "The Daily Show" host Jon Stewart.

AP Photo

Carlson on Monday fanned embers still hot from their "Crossfire" confrontation, saying Stewart looked ridiculous during his CNN appearance and was a sellout for publicly backing Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) for president.

Stewart, appearing on the debate show Friday, angered Carlson by saying "Crossfire" is "partisan hackery" that does little to advance the cause of democracy.

And that was the mild stuff.

"You have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably," Stewart said.

Responded Carlson: "You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think."

"You need to go to one," Stewart shot back.

Carlson complained that for a comedian, Stewart wasn't being very funny.

"Come on," he said. "Be funny."

"No," Stewart said. "I'm not going to be your monkey."

Carlson chided Stewart for lobbing softball questions when Kerry appeared on "The Daily Show" last month.

Later, Carlson told Stewart he was "more fun" on his Comedy Central show, and Stewart called him a jerk — although he used a more vulgar term.

"I thought that he looked ridiculous," Carlson said in an interview Monday, "and I think the tape makes that clear."

Carlson said Stewart continued lecturing the "Crossfire" crew after the show went off the air. "I wasn't offended as much as I was unimpressed," he said.

Stewart wasn't talking about the confrontation on Monday, a spokesman said. Comedy Central executive Tony Fox said there may be some regret over the vulgarity, but that Stewart has been a longtime critic of cable news networks and their political argument shows.

The comedian hasn't gone out of his way to endorse Kerry. In a public forum last week in New York, he was asked who he would vote for, and he said he'd back the Democrat.

Carlson noted that many of the great comedians kept their political opinions to themselves, not for fear of offending anyone, but because it could hurt their art.

"You're selling out," he said. "If you are a satirist or an acute social observer, and he is, and all of a sudden you suspend disbelief on someone or suck up rather than prod or poke someone, people will look at you and say, `Even if I agree with you, I don't like it,'" he said.

Fox said "The Daily Show" poked fun at people in power, regardless of their party. Most people who watch Stewart are aware that he leans to the left politically.

"I don't think it really impacts the show at all," he said. "The show does what it does regardless of Jon's political persuasion."

sT3w@rT'D!

He totally owned them. I had to watch it twice because I missed the "dick" comment the first time around.

All in all, John had a point. Disagree all you want but he is right.

After I saw this a second time, I noticed that they had a premade graphic, thus meaning they likely knew where Stewart was going to take this ahead of time. So it's hardly some spur of the moment stroke of genius from Stewart.

IMO while Stewart had a good point in mind, it doesn't mean he's not coming across as a hypocritical jackass. Yes these shows are filled with "partisan hackery" this everyone knew and knows. However, you'd have to be blind to not notice the Daily Show leaning to the liberal/left side of politics. Comedy Central is being niave if they think the show plays both sides fairly. Stewart's so insistant that his show is comedy in not news, not part of our media, but it's like he doesn't realize that his "fake" news which is also deep with some "partisan hackery" is some small minded people's only source of news. IMO if your only news source for politics or anything else is the Daily Show or even a show like Crossfire, you are not informed, it takes much more than that. He says these shows hurt America, that's a good argument, but his biased, fake news isn't doing anything to help out America either. Stewart is trying to live in a world where he has nothing to do with our media today, but the fact is that he is a part of today's media. He needs to step in the ring himself (he doesn't even have to quit his current show, but just own up to the fact that people DO in fact look at it as a news source), otherwise he'll just be a whining hypocrite to me.

Also, while I think it was intentional, didn't he seemed less than informed on a couple subjects such as the Bill O'Reilly thing or the wired GW Bush conspiracy theory?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']After I saw this a second time, I noticed that they had a premade graphic, thus meaning they likely knew where Stewart was going to take this ahead of time.[/quote]

I don't think they had any clue what he was going to do. I think its pretty clear that they were completely taken aback by what he said, and had absolutely no clue how to reply. I would guess that they expected him to tell some funny jokes, then follow that up by attacking him for being left-leaning (its just what the show does - attack everyone and everything that moves.) The fact that he attacked preemptively, combined with the fact that he attacked a legitimate hole, left them flailing. They're not used to dealing with honesty on that show, which is why they were so completely unprepared to deal with his charges.

Also, while I think it was intentional, didn't he seemed less than informed on a couple subjects such as the Bill O'Reilly thing or the wired GW Bush conspiracy theory?
Yeah, but he had spent the past week on a cross-country book-signing tour, so its not terribly surprising that he hasn't had much time to keep up on what's going on.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']

Also, while I think it was intentional, didn't he seemed less than informed on a couple subjects such as the Bill O'Reilly thing or the wired GW Bush conspiracy theory?[/quote]

I don't think he was misinformed as much as he just didn't care. The "bulge" on Bush's back has nothing to do with his policies, ideas and beliefs, so why should any of us waste time speculating on what it was? It is not something that we should base our vote on.

As for Bill O'Reilly, I think he didn't want to talk about it because he was here to discuss the media and its role in politics, and discussing one man's sex life has nothing to do with either.

bread's done
Back