CAGcast #84: The Rail Not Taken

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD gets his hands on the latest Railfan game and GH: 80's Edition, finishes the Mass Effect book, and is still feeding his 360 a healthy diet of towels. Mover & shaker Wombat announces a new contest and stalks game PR companies. We also answer your CAGbag questions, discuss the latest gaming and shopping news, and yet, there's more!

Listen for details on a new contest and don't forget to take the CAGcast Audience Survey!

[media]http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast84.mp3[/media]
Download - 109 minutes, 50MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photo!
969305594_cdfba62f45.jpg

RE: Ads during the show...

One ad during the show is too many. I'm all for getting "pizzaid" but I despise commercials and will do everything I can to avoid them, even if it means not listening. Might I suggest that when you go down that path (because lets face it you will) that you place the adverts either at the very beginning and/or very end of the show. ESPN's PTI podcast does it this way and it seems to be the least intrusive.

RE: New forum guides/mods

Great Idea! I hadn't realized just how much the site had grown until Shrike handed in his mod commission. Good lord that guy put in work!

RE: New Releases Discussions

Thank you for not discontinuing this segment. While the Shipwreck's cover new releases in much greater detail I find your brief discussions much more useful. I prefer the short and sweet perspective you guys have always provided. Please, keep up the good work.

RE: Wii's staying power

I'm getting tired of people questioning whether or not a Nintendo hardware product has "staying power." Where the hell have people been? Are they forgetting Nintendo's track record? Every time sales start to slump Nintendo releases a "revised" version of their hardware! The Wii is nothing more than a GC with a slightly upgraded GPU and a "revolutionary" controller. The DS lite is, guess what, a sexier DS! And on and on...

Overall, great show guys! Thanks for the hard work.

many a dollar was spent by me playing DDR 4th and 5th mixes, so Kick The Can was played many, many times.

Listening now.

[quote name='mikeohara']many a dollar was spent by me playing DDR 4th and 5th mixes, so Kick The Can was played many, many times.
[/quote]

Same, and I totally approve.

Just a correction, I was discussing signing up for their Gamer card, until CC informed me it is only good on full price merchandise. So it won't be working with the sales, so it's a pass for me.

Congrats on buying the (expensive) U.S. Wii, Cheapy. I was impressed you did that "live" on the CAGcast :lol:. Hopefully Metroid will at least partially justify that purchase - maybe if you get a little deeper into the game you'll become immersed. Hopefully you'll be able to set aside a bit of time from Bioshock to give it a chance.

And while the lack of voice chat on Mario Strikers is a mild disappointment (edit - just wanted to clarify that since it wasn't expected, it is more of just a missing feature when compared to XBL), it is still a fun experience to play against a CAG. I just finished a couple of matches with Yukine and playing a person is VERY different from playing the CPU, I can tell you that right now!

Great work Wombat, you've done so much for the podcast.

About all this MGS 4 stuff; Sony doesn't own Konami; Hideo can do what he wants with MGS 4 so if he wants to show it at his own MGS 20th Anniversary Party, and not the E3 that he openly said sucks, then I think he can.
Sony probably did want that MGS 4 play through at E3, but ultimately its Konami's decision.

I was a little saddened to hear your impressions of Railfan Taiwan edition. I was in Taiwan last month to visit family and rode the High Speed Rail (HSR) twice along the entire length of the country. It was very awesome, and I was surprised to see a brochure for the game while browsing an electronics store sometime later. I instantly remembered CheapyD's positive raves about the first Railfan and decided to buy the game as a nice souvenir of the trip.

I don't even own a PS3! (and don't plan to buy one until 2008 most likely). So while I can't play the game myself yet, it was at least nice to hear somebody talking about it. Too bad Railfan: Taiwan didn't live up to your expectations, but it makes a nice story for me to say that my first and only PS3 game is Railfan. The look on people's faces when I tell them that is priceless.

When will the winner of the goozex contest be announced? I thought it would be announced this episode considering it ended the 30th...

[quote name='GiO']When will the winner of the goozex contest be announced? I thought it would be announced this episode considering it ended the 30th...[/quote]Um...it was announced in this episode, wasn't it?

Good show. I'm surprised you paid that much for a Wii. I have a feeling you'll be mocking yourself for buying two wii when you have nothing to play on either version in the future. Everybody Votes does make me turn it on every two to three days though I must say.

As for Wombat getting a job, wouldn't his view become askewed if he got a job at one of the big three? I trust Wombat to not become a PR whore, but some people wouldn't trust him anymore. If you obtain such a job keep it a secret.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Good show. I'm surprised you paid that much for a Wii. I have a feeling you'll be mocking yourself for buying two wii when you have nothing to play on either version in the future. Everybody Votes does make me turn it on every two to three days though I must say.

As for Wombat getting a job, wouldn't his view become askewed if he got a job at one of the big three? I trust Wombat to not become a PR whore, but some people wouldn't trust him anymore. If you obtain such a job keep it a secret.[/QUOTE]

Some one would have to offer me a job first

idk meh cagcast herd better what u guys think about the gta4 delay
i would want to paint my cuitar in full black black on black

[quote name='Wombat']Some one would have to offer me a job first[/QUOTE]

Just for future reference Wombat. I wouldn't want to see a Wombat hate cloud appear. BTW on that PGR4 needing more space for day/night, why not just release it as downloadable content if the space it uses isn't that big?

I need to get myself one of those Pizza Trucks.

EDIT: Dear god! Wombat doesn't know what Go is, and Cheapy doesn't know Mancala.... this is a problem, guys.

EDIT 2: Waiting a year to get a flipping update, and then having the update include NONE of the features you want, instead featuring some useless crap like MSN messenger, then yes, I'd rather have it once a month or so.

Cheapy ordered an American Wii. We all know what that means...

AMERICAN WII UNBOXING VIDEO!!!

When it comes to people playing their Wii or not Cheapy, you answered your question earlier in the show when you mentioned that companies didn't invest early in Wii development. We'll start to see more Wii games early to mid next year in abundance.

Now you have two Wii consoles. I know you did it for CAG, it still hurts listening to you purchase another. Its like watching a friend do drugs, you are sad that this makes them happy.

Zack and Wiki is the first game I see that interests me on the Wii, Mario Galaxy is the second. Two games is not enough for me. Maybe in a few years when the Wii cost as much as the Gamecube.

I'm ok with a couple of ads here and there, but I whole-heartedly agree that you two should be doing the ads yourselves. Not only would it maintain the continuity of the show, but I know you guys would make it hella more entertaining and fun than any prefab commercial would do.

This works for our most popular morning radio show where I live, where commercials done by the two DJs are highly sought after spots.

Anyway, I say go for it. If that's what keeps these CAGcasts coming regularly, so be it.

Great job on the contacts, Wombat! You da man!!

Yeah biased is a strong word. What I'm really alluding to is that I think you really only see this pressure on reviewers to rate Nintendo games higher because you're not really interested in their games. :)

There will be no HD Wii unless it's just a machine that upscales current games and then why bother? I mean are you going to pay another $250 or $300 for a machine whose only purpose is to upscale Wii games? Nah. (Think playing PS2 games on a PS3.)

Plus WiiSports is winning people over with N64-level graphics. Why do they need a hi-def machine? I think this is perhaps an inside joke at Nintendo. 'You say we need hi-def graphics? Well our (WiiSports) pack-in not only doesn't have higher tech graphics than the gen before, it's no better than graphics 2 generations ago :) Take that.'

People keep thinking the Wii will fade because they think it's all about the horsepower. But again they forget Nintendo is winning with N64-level graphics in WiiSports. And, btw, according to Nielson ratings, it's the upscale homes that are actually buying the Wii too. So the appeal is not just because it's affordable either.

Cheapy,

You did order an American Wii game, right? RIGHT!?

Wombat, your statement about there are only people waiting to get a 360 to buy Halo and not people waiting to get a Wii for Smash is misinformed. There are those who are waiting to get a Wii for Smash. But, Halo isn't the 360's killer app this holiday season. It's GTA. I know it's cross-platform, but it does have the DL content coming. It's the game people will buy to enter next-gen. NOT HALO.

I think it would be acceptable to have 3 ads during the show at the :00, :30, and 1:00 marks. It would be best if they occurred during the transitions between topics to. Anyways guys you don't have to even listen to them you could "fast forward".

Anyways I think Wombat's name is Steven, Sam or Steve. They did say it started with an S right?

In response to the ads, I am fine with them in the podcasts I listen to, and I think 3 would be fine in a 90 minute podcast, one as a "this podcast is brought to you by" and 2 stern/carolla style in-podcast ads would be great. You guys get paid and we keep getting quality shows for free, sounds good!

Cheapy, yooo should totally name ur child "N00b OMGWTFBBQ Pwner!!!"

But seriously, nice show and shame on you Wombat for calling N'Gai Croal N-Homo Coral :shame::lol:

[quote name='pop311']Cheapy, yooo should totally name ur child "N00b OMGWTFBBQ Pwner!!!"

But seriously, nice show and shame on you Wombat for calling N'Gai Croal N-Homo Coral :shame::lol:[/QUOTE]

listen again, that was his cheapness

[quote name='Wombat']listen again, that was his cheapness[/quote]I know, I know, I was meerly restating what The Dahli Cheapy said.

On another note Wombat, are there any plan between you and Mrs. Wombat about having a baby in the future?

Woot, I got mentioned in the cast! Cheapy, if you name your baby super nerd I will give you monies...maybe. And now I know what wombat's name is, Samuel L. Jackson! I'm down with advertising if it's you or wombat reading it live in your own style. Wombat, I think you should apply for the job if it's something you want, it never hurts to try.

P.S. Analyst...have any of you seen Arrested Development? Tobias was the first ever Analyst + Therapist = Analrapist. And games for windows live is a steaming pile of doodoo. It's not revolutionary, it's retarding what online play means for the PC.

I am still surprised that Cheapy continues to say that anyone thinking of buying a console should buy a 360. No contest. Then he rants about how unreliable the 360 is. Why do you throw so much support behind a company manufacturing and selling, as Wombat said, 'broken' systems.:bomb: Shouldn't reliability play a part in which console people buy? Is it acceptable because it is the only console sold by an american company? I realise the Wii and PS3 don't have as many games as the 360 but that is only in the short term. I have more than enough current games to keep me busy, and there will be way too many games available by this fall that I want, of which I'll only be able to afford a few. In other words, I don't think software is the only determining factor. Do you really get that many free xbox 360 games or is it something else?:roll: :lol:

I was surprised to hear the comments about Cheapy and Wombat prefering a Buy it, Rent it, Skip it type of rating system for game reviews, which is exactly what we do over at Gamer 2.0. Along with a score, we also give a suggestion on whether it worthy of a purchase, rental, or that it should be avoided.

N-Gai is an N-Guy. I saw him on the last episode of Gamehead. I would have never guessed. I thought he was asian. Cheaps you have to name your kid Ed209 or Ed or Sum Young Guy. Good show guys.

Cheapy, when i agreed with thorbahn and said baby naming contest I was figuring it would be just for fun, not that you had to name your kid whatever we came up with. I thought you could have two or three categories like best ridiculous name and best serious name etc. Im sure Mrs Cheapy would be fine with Robocop Knight Rider Abrams.

Anyway the name you had in mind sounds nice, just give him a middle name that starts with "N" so his initals can be TNA

Maybe we can start a whats wombats name thread if the clue given out today is true.

nice entertaining show as usual guys. As for the ads in the show, I guess one in the beginning, one in the middle and one at the end wouldnt hurt if it got cheapy and wombat some monies

[quote name='nesfan8222']Maybe we can start a whats wombats name thread if the clue given out today is true.[/QUOTE]
Steven.

What do I win?

Hey cheapy, railfan may seem more interesting if you play it while using the other stuff that the playasia guy brought you. Create you own camera angles

[quote name='Wombat']I big steaming pile of nothing, my name isn't Steven.[/QUOTE]

Seth? Sven?

If Cheapy won't have a baby naming contest maybe I will. My wife and I can't think of a name for our son (due Nov). Or rather, we can think of a few but don't agree. Maybe some crazy-ass suggestions will inspire us ;).

[quote name='CheapyD']My USA Wii just arrived from play-asia...less than 48 hours after ordering.[/quote]
Holy crap that was fast. But hey, now you can play Happy Feet: The Game!

bread's done
Back