- - - - -

DS online problems

#1 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

Is anyone else's DS super touchy about getting online? If I sit in the same room as my router it usually manages to get on, but if I'm downstairs from the thing it's very iffy. Even sitting in the same room I sometimes have problems with it. :roll:

It pretty much always gets a few bars of connection strength then (when it doesn't connect successfully) after a few seconds drops down to red and gives me an error code.

Once I'm connected it hasn't dropped (yet *knock on wood*) so I wonder if it's a problem with the handshake between my router and the DS taking too long? Anyone know any tips for speeding that up? (Like maybe manually setting the IP in the DS's wifi settings or something?)

(If there is a thread already dealing with this stuff point me to it and I'll be happy to merge this into it.)

#2 johnnypark   Farewell My Viking! CAGiversary!   3391 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hmmm... that's strange. I can go online anywhere in my house (and it's a large, 2 story house) and have a good connection unless I'm almost outside.

It might have to do with your router. Does that ever happen to computers that are hooked up wirelessly?

#3 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

i have the same problem right now with my ds.. the first day they installed the verizon fios wireless router, the ds had no problems linking up to it, the next day and on the router and ds hate each other and won't connect. I was going to call verizon and Nintendo today and see if they can help. Funny thing is that when I access the router directly, it SEE's the DS (says Nintendo DS), but when I do a test connection on both ends, they fail. I know jack about Wireless so I don't want to Fuck up something that fucks up my current set up.

During the test on the ds side, it shows full bars for a few seconds then drops it and gives me the error code.

bah.

I guess I have to you the USB dongle...damn that thing gets hot.

#4 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

I have Verizon Fios as well, so we're probably using the same router. I have a linksys one I could use, but the modem they give you also acts as a wireless router. And the linksys router I have is on a list of routers that don't work well (or maybe at all) with the DS IIRC. I have no idea why some routers wouldn't work with the thing.

johnny - Nope my laptop doesn't have this problem with it. My best guess is the DS has a crappy wifi antenna (or whatever you'd call it) And the level of interference which isn't enough to bother the laptop is enough to Fuck up the DS...

#5 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

I have Verizon Fios as well, so we're probably using the same router. I have a linksys one I could use, but the modem they give you also acts as a wireless router. And the linksys router I have is on a list of routers that don't work well (or maybe at all) with the DS IIRC. I have no idea why some routers wouldn't work with the thing.

johnny - Nope my laptop doesn't have this problem with it. My best guess is the DS has a crappy wifi antenna (or whatever you'd call it) And the level of interference which isn't enough to bother the laptop is enough to Fuck up the DS...

OK I just got off with Nintendo tech support (god I love nintendo!)

Here goes

You have to set your wireless transmission rate to 2mb

go into your ds connection settings
enter your SSID number
enter your wep key

enter this info on your DS
IP Address 192.168.1.12
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
primary dsn 192.168.1.1
secondary dsn (leave at zero)

save settings

access the router 192.168.1.1
click my network, then his test connection on the ds...the router and ds show NOW see each other.

http://www.nintendo....4WRverizonFIOS/

#6 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

I'll give that a try. Thanks for linking.

#7 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

no problems

now to test how far I can take this sucker until i get no connection hehe..

#8 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Were you ever able to connect before making that change?

#9 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info - I also have that ActionTec router from Verizon FiOS. I tried to get online last night but wasn't able to. I did manually add those settings, which I got from my desktop computer. However, I wasn't able to get into my router settings because I forgot the password :-( I'll try again tonight to "hack" back into my own router.

#10 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

Were you ever able to connect before making that change?

for some strange reason, the first day Verizon installed the WR, I was able to connect to it without configuring anything on both sides. Second day, the router refused to allow connections. The nintendo tech guy though that I was linked to my neighbors wr, but I think that's more then 30 feet away. Weird I know.

#11 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the info - I also have that ActionTec router from Verizon FiOS. I tried to get online last night but wasn't able to. I did manually add those settings, which I got from my desktop computer. However, I wasn't able to get into my router settings because I forgot the password :-( I'll try again tonight to "hack" back into my own router.

if you haven't touched your router settings before, your login and pw should be admin and password. As a matter of fact it's recommended to change it as someone could link to your router... but I know jack about this shit.

#12 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

Oh yeah, you REALLY ought to change your password when you set it up. I actually did change the password and changed the WEP to be a bit stronger (longer key) back when I set it all up over a year ago.... I just forgot the password I changed it to. I know, I'm an idiot.

#13 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

any luck Wubb?

#14 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:55 PM

UH OH

now if I turn off my DS and put a new game in (say Mario Kart DS) now it's saying that the ID doesn't match and I have to reset it or something.

Connection tests now fail :( Getting error code 51300 instead of 52000.

crap crap crap

#15 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

Hmm, that doesn't sound good...

I just changed the router to 2mbps and am about to give it a try. If the laptop is browses noticeably slower I'll probably just say screw Nwifi and switch it back.

Yep I was able to connect straight off after dialing it down to 2mbps. I wish Nintendo hadn't half assed the wifi connectivity of this thing.

I also put in the IP information on the DS.

Thanks for the help ITDEFX!

#16 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

I got in to the router and changed the transmission speed (from 54 to 2, ouch)! Test was successful using Clubhouse Games. Yay!

#17 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

glad to hear it guys...but poor me can no longer connect :(

#18 deadpool 3.0   Casual Gamer CAGiversary!   7086 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

deadpool 3.0

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:10 AM

Im having the same prob. I played mario kart fine yesterday. I tryed diddy kong racing tonight. It never let's me connect. It say's can't obtain a ip error code blah blah :(

#19 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:49 AM

i doubt it but

could it be possibly related to the lease?

Posted Image

#20 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

WELL...this is strange

Both Transformers games (Autobot/decepitcons) have no problems with me putting in those settings.

Games like Mario Kart, Tetris, Starfox and anything Nintendo branded are giving me the problems.

#21 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:33 AM

I can't imagine it's related to the DHCP lease. You can ignore that safely.

#22 monkeydeew   Banned Banned   2425 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

monkeydeew

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:03 AM

this is why i just got a used nintendo wifi adapter at eb for 19.99 during buy 2 get 1 free

#23 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:54 AM

this is why i just got a used nintendo wifi adapter at eb for 19.99 during buy 2 get 1 free

the point of using it wirelessly is so you don't have to use the usb dongle cause you need the computer on to use it plus that thing gets EXTREMELY hot. I am surprised nintendo hasn't addressed the issue.

#24 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

this has got to be related to some stupid security feature on the chips of first party games. I really can't see why Transformers will work fine, but mario kart just gives me problems...funny is that it says the ID doesn't match. The only thing that I have done to this is sent it back to nintendo for repairs (the hinge crack and the red center dot problem).. they could have flashed the id..so that might be the problem.

#25 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

Could it be that somebody went online with that cartridge with another DS? Do the cards lock down to a specific DS once they go online or something? That would be pretty silly...

I'd try resetting the router or try to get online at a public DS access point. Maybe a McD's has one near you? To see if that clears it up. Then you could try resetting all data on the cartridge if you want to take that step.

#26 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

Could it be that somebody went online with that cartridge with another DS? Do the cards lock down to a specific DS once they go online or something? That would be pretty silly...

I'd try resetting the router or try to get online at a public DS access point. Maybe a McD's has one near you? To see if that clears it up. Then you could try resetting all data on the cartridge if you want to take that step.

There is NO way Mario Kart or Tetris has been used on another ds. They were store bought last year and worked fine via the USB wifi Dongle. The only two times it has been out of my hands (the system) was when it was set for repairs back in January and when I let my gf's not too bright 30 year old brother borrow it, but he doesn't know that it has wi-fi on it and so there is no way he could have fucked up the games or the system. Now I do know he fucked up my finished game of CV:DoS, and I was kinda pissed but I had the file backed up but didn't back up the belmont run :(

I still think it has something to do with first party chips since Transformers (Activision) is working fine with the router. I'm calling Nintendo again later today.

#27 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

Keep us posted, because my wife and I each have a DS but only one copy of each game, so if using the game in two different DS's screws it up we'll have to figure out a workaround.

#28 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17256 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

OK, I called Nintendo AGAIN :( This time I was on the phone for about an hour. The guy didn't know jack about what was going on. He talked to his *advance techs* (most likely the guy next to his cubical) and he told me to wipe out all 3 network connections on my ds and try reentering the data again. Now I can't get transformers to connect after I re-entered the data. oh Fuck :(

#29 BattleChicken   IM IN UR THRED!!1 CAGiversary!   1544 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

BattleChicken

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:59 PM

It sounds to me that the router simply isn't supported by Nintendo.

Their 'fix' for the problem is a total joke, as the DS CAN accept a 54 transfer rate.. I don't see how it would fix the problem.

#30 BattleChicken   IM IN UR THRED!!1 CAGiversary!   1544 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

BattleChicken

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

I looked around, and it seems like all the consoles have some issues with the MI424WR (what I assume you're using).

I had initial issues setting this up - wound up talking with both the FIOS people and the actiontec people. To get the PS3 working, I had to go into the actiontec router config file under firewall and enable port forwarding as follows:

TCP 443 -> 443
TCP 80 -> 80
TCP 5223 -> 5223
UDP 3478-3479 -> 3478-3479
UDP 3658 -> 3658

Then tie it in to the IP address of the PS3. On the PS3, I had to do a manual configuration of the IP settings with the DNS, 2dary DNS, and default router set to 192.168.1.1 and the ip address was the IP address of the ps3. Came right up after that.

I could theoretically see the connection drop off if it only used certain ports for certain types of calls.. it could also be theoretically possible that the Nintendo specific games could be having the issue because of certain port use..

One thing to try is to force the mac address for the DS to get a static IP address, and put that IP in the DMZ -- if the DS is totally open to everything and it works with no problems, it could rule out port issues.