DS online problems

wubb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
Is anyone else's DS super touchy about getting online? If I sit in the same room as my router it usually manages to get on, but if I'm downstairs from the thing it's very iffy. Even sitting in the same room I sometimes have problems with it. :roll:

It pretty much always gets a few bars of connection strength then (when it doesn't connect successfully) after a few seconds drops down to red and gives me an error code.

Once I'm connected it hasn't dropped (yet *knock on wood*) so I wonder if it's a problem with the handshake between my router and the DS taking too long? Anyone know any tips for speeding that up? (Like maybe manually setting the IP in the DS's wifi settings or something?)

(If there is a thread already dealing with this stuff point me to it and I'll be happy to merge this into it.)

Hmmm... that's strange. I can go online anywhere in my house (and it's a large, 2 story house) and have a good connection unless I'm almost outside.

It might have to do with your router. Does that ever happen to computers that are hooked up wirelessly?

i have the same problem right now with my ds.. the first day they installed the verizon fios wireless router, the ds had no problems linking up to it, the next day and on the router and ds hate each other and won't connect. I was going to call verizon and Nintendo today and see if they can help. Funny thing is that when I access the router directly, it SEE's the DS (says Nintendo DS), but when I do a test connection on both ends, they fail. I know jack about Wireless so I don't want to fuck up something that fucks up my current set up.

During the test on the ds side, it shows full bars for a few seconds then drops it and gives me the error code.

bah.

I guess I have to you the USB dongle...damn that thing gets hot.

I have Verizon Fios as well, so we're probably using the same router. I have a linksys one I could use, but the modem they give you also acts as a wireless router. And the linksys router I have is on a list of routers that don't work well (or maybe at all) with the DS IIRC. I have no idea why some routers wouldn't work with the thing.

johnny - Nope my laptop doesn't have this problem with it. My best guess is the DS has a crappy wifi antenna (or whatever you'd call it) And the level of interference which isn't enough to bother the laptop is enough to fuck up the DS...

[quote name='wubb']I have Verizon Fios as well, so we're probably using the same router. I have a linksys one I could use, but the modem they give you also acts as a wireless router. And the linksys router I have is on a list of routers that don't work well (or maybe at all) with the DS IIRC. I have no idea why some routers wouldn't work with the thing.

johnny - Nope my laptop doesn't have this problem with it. My best guess is the DS has a crappy wifi antenna (or whatever you'd call it) And the level of interference which isn't enough to bother the laptop is enough to fuck up the DS...[/QUOTE]

OK I just got off with Nintendo tech support (god I love nintendo!)

Here goes

You have to set your wireless transmission rate to 2mb

go into your ds connection settings
enter your SSID number
enter your wep key

enter this info on your DS
IP Address 192.168.1.12
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
primary dsn 192.168.1.1
secondary dsn (leave at zero)

save settings

access the router 192.168.1.1
click my network, then his test connection on the ds...the router and ds show NOW see each other.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/routers/Actiontec/M1424WRverizonFIOS/

Thanks for the info - I also have that ActionTec router from Verizon FiOS. I tried to get online last night but wasn't able to. I did manually add those settings, which I got from my desktop computer. However, I wasn't able to get into my router settings because I forgot the password :whistle2:( I'll try again tonight to "hack" back into my own router.

[quote name='wubb']Were you ever able to connect before making that change?[/QUOTE]

for some strange reason, the first day Verizon installed the WR, I was able to connect to it without configuring anything on both sides. Second day, the router refused to allow connections. The nintendo tech guy though that I was linked to my neighbors wr, but I think that's more then 30 feet away. Weird I know.

[quote name='Backlash']Thanks for the info - I also have that ActionTec router from Verizon FiOS. I tried to get online last night but wasn't able to. I did manually add those settings, which I got from my desktop computer. However, I wasn't able to get into my router settings because I forgot the password :whistle2:( I'll try again tonight to "hack" back into my own router.[/QUOTE]

if you haven't touched your router settings before, your login and pw should be admin and password. As a matter of fact it's recommended to change it as someone could link to your router... but I know jack about this shit.

Oh yeah, you REALLY ought to change your password when you set it up. I actually did change the password and changed the WEP to be a bit stronger (longer key) back when I set it all up over a year ago.... I just forgot the password I changed it to. I know, I'm an idiot.

UH OH

now if I turn off my DS and put a new game in (say Mario Kart DS) now it's saying that the ID doesn't match and I have to reset it or something.

Connection tests now fail :( Getting error code 51300 instead of 52000.

crap crap crap

Hmm, that doesn't sound good...

I just changed the router to 2mbps and am about to give it a try. If the laptop is browses noticeably slower I'll probably just say screw Nwifi and switch it back.

Yep I was able to connect straight off after dialing it down to 2mbps. I wish Nintendo hadn't half assed the wifi connectivity of this thing.

I also put in the IP information on the DS.

Thanks for the help ITDEFX!

I got in to the router and changed the transmission speed (from 54 to 2, ouch)! Test was successful using Clubhouse Games. Yay!

Im having the same prob. I played mario kart fine yesterday. I tryed diddy kong racing tonight. It never let's me connect. It say's can't obtain a ip error code blah blah :(

i doubt it but

could it be possibly related to the lease?

lease.jpg

WELL...this is strange

Both Transformers games (Autobot/decepitcons) have no problems with me putting in those settings.

Games like Mario Kart, Tetris, Starfox and anything Nintendo branded are giving me the problems.

[quote name='monkeydeew']this is why i just got a used nintendo wifi adapter at eb for 19.99 during buy 2 get 1 free[/QUOTE]

the point of using it wirelessly is so you don't have to use the usb dongle cause you need the computer on to use it plus that thing gets EXTREMELY hot. I am surprised nintendo hasn't addressed the issue.

this has got to be related to some stupid security feature on the chips of first party games. I really can't see why Transformers will work fine, but mario kart just gives me problems...funny is that it says the ID doesn't match. The only thing that I have done to this is sent it back to nintendo for repairs (the hinge crack and the red center dot problem).. they could have flashed the id..so that might be the problem.

Could it be that somebody went online with that cartridge with another DS? Do the cards lock down to a specific DS once they go online or something? That would be pretty silly...

I'd try resetting the router or try to get online at a public DS access point. Maybe a McD's has one near you? To see if that clears it up. Then you could try resetting all data on the cartridge if you want to take that step.

[quote name='wubb']Could it be that somebody went online with that cartridge with another DS? Do the cards lock down to a specific DS once they go online or something? That would be pretty silly...

I'd try resetting the router or try to get online at a public DS access point. Maybe a McD's has one near you? To see if that clears it up. Then you could try resetting all data on the cartridge if you want to take that step.[/QUOTE]

There is NO way Mario Kart or Tetris has been used on another ds. They were store bought last year and worked fine via the USB wifi Dongle. The only two times it has been out of my hands (the system) was when it was set for repairs back in January and when I let my gf's not too bright 30 year old brother borrow it, but he doesn't know that it has wi-fi on it and so there is no way he could have fucked up the games or the system. Now I do know he fucked up my finished game of CV:DoS, and I was kinda pissed but I had the file backed up but didn't back up the belmont run :(

I still think it has something to do with first party chips since Transformers (Activision) is working fine with the router. I'm calling Nintendo again later today.

Keep us posted, because my wife and I each have a DS but only one copy of each game, so if using the game in two different DS's screws it up we'll have to figure out a workaround.

OK, I called Nintendo AGAIN :( This time I was on the phone for about an hour. The guy didn't know jack about what was going on. He talked to his *advance techs* (most likely the guy next to his cubical) and he told me to wipe out all 3 network connections on my ds and try reentering the data again. Now I can't get transformers to connect after I re-entered the data. oh fuck :(

It sounds to me that the router simply isn't supported by Nintendo.

Their 'fix' for the problem is a total joke, as the DS CAN accept a 54 transfer rate.. I don't see how it would fix the problem.

I looked around, and it seems like all the consoles have some issues with the MI424WR (what I assume you're using).

I had initial issues setting this up - wound up talking with both the FIOS people and the actiontec people. To get the PS3 working, I had to go into the actiontec router config file under firewall and enable port forwarding as follows:

TCP 443 -> 443
TCP 80 -> 80
TCP 5223 -> 5223
UDP 3478-3479 -> 3478-3479
UDP 3658 -> 3658

Then tie it in to the IP address of the PS3. On the PS3, I had to do a manual configuration of the IP settings with the DNS, 2dary DNS, and default router set to 192.168.1.1 and the ip address was the IP address of the ps3. Came right up after that.
I could theoretically see the connection drop off if it only used certain ports for certain types of calls.. it could also be theoretically possible that the Nintendo specific games could be having the issue because of certain port use..

One thing to try is to force the mac address for the DS to get a static IP address, and put that IP in the DMZ -- if the DS is totally open to everything and it works with no problems, it could rule out port issues.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I looked around, and it seems like all the consoles have some issues with the MI424WR (what I assume you're using).

I could theoretically see the connection drop off if it only used certain ports for certain types of calls.. it could also be theoretically possible that the Nintendo specific games could be having the issue because of certain port use..

One thing to try is to force the mac address for the DS to get a static IP address, and put that IP in the DMZ -- if the DS is totally open to everything and it works with no problems, it could rule out port issues.[/QUOTE]

ohhh no... i'm not messing with my router in that way... i know jack about what I am doing now, less about what you just said :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']ohhh no... i'm not messing with my router in that way... i know jack about what I am doing now, less about what you just said :([/quote]
If you were near my geographic location, I'd offer help you for free -- I really miss hands on computer/network support...

If i have more time later on, I'll try and find a decent router configuration guide for you.

Well I just got off the phone with both Verizon Fios and Actiontec... the actiontec people said that the the DS is not up to 802.11b standards and that's why some games won't work with it's wireless router. When asked about the Wii and this router, they said no problems.

so basically, I have to do this...

for 3rd party games (transformers)...do nothing, just sit back and play
for 1st party games (Mario Kart, Tetris)... turn on computer, hook up usb dongle and use that.

:(

fuck

Well, at least you have the dongle... so thats something?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well I just got off the phone with both Verizon Fios and Actiontec... the actiontec people said that the the DS is not up to 802.11b standards and that's why some games won't work with it's wireless router. When asked about the Wii and this router, they said no problems.

so basically, I have to do this...

for 3rd party games (transformers)...do nothing, just sit back and play
for 1st party games (Mario Kart, Tetris)... turn on computer, hook up usb dongle and use that.

:(

fuck[/quote]

i was just talking to my cousin and he said he just got the verizon fios and the router too and so next time I come over I am bringing it with me and test it over there. If it connects perfectly to his router using Mario Kart DS, I am going to demand verizon to give me a new router.

LOL...

according to Nintendo......... I am the only person who has this problem...can't wifi play with 1st party but can with 3rd party.

yay....... so what award do I get?

That's really strange. Picross works fine for me on the router (once I dialed it down to the 2mb transfer rate.) Since making that change I've only had it fail to connect one time (and then it connected on the 2nd attempt) in probably a dozen or more times I've been on. *knock on wood*

If I were you I'd reset your router (little recessed button on the back panel) and then relower the transfer speed. Maybe some weird setting has been changed on yours and that will clear it out. I did it when I was changing the transfer rate because I couldn't remember the login I updated to(!) and it just reset and got right back online with Verizon after a minute or so of cycling.

If that doesn't work you might want to see if they'll get you a new router. One downer on that is I don't think there is anywhere local to us where you can drop off and pick up new equipment. (If you know of a place, please let me know where it is!)

[quote name='ITDEFX']LOL...

according to Nintendo......... I am the only person who has this problem...can't wifi play with 1st party but can with 3rd party.

yay....... so what award do I get?[/quote]

You win the 'A multinational corporation lied to you' award! Congratulations!!

[quote name='BattleChicken']You win the 'A multinational corporation lied to you' award! Congratulations!![/QUOTE]

yay...so where is the 180 dollar gift card so I can buy a PSP that WORKS on the Router :(

guess I am going to have to make a video this weekend and post it on you tube... out of millions of original ds fats out there, someone has to have encounter this problem.

Well I am giving bonus points to Nintendo.

They just called me today on my cell.

We spent like 30 mins talking about the problem.

They think that when it was sent off for repairs in January that my game card id's to the system might have been fucked up when they repaired the touch screen. They did confirm that my ds is the original one that was sent in for repairs (so basically I didn't get a switch, which is good)

Problem is still ongoing..

Wow lot of technical replies on this thread. For people getting scared about DS wifi, you don't need to know any of this stuff. All you need is easy to setup wifi router and ability to read basic instructions.

[quote name='laaj']Wow lot of technical replies on this thread. For people getting scared about DS wifi, you don't need to know any of this stuff. All you need is easy to setup wifi router and ability to read basic instructions.[/QUOTE]

yes I agree it's suppose to be very easy for us to get online and play, but that's in a perfect world... It must be some kind of security issue going on in the 1st party chip. Shit, i would hate to have to rebuy all my 1st party games just to get wifi working again.

[quote name='ITDEFX']yes I agree it's suppose to be very easy for us to get online and play, but that's in a perfect world... It must be some kind of security issue going on in the 1st party chip. Shit, i would hate to have to rebuy all my 1st party games just to get wifi working again.[/QUOTE]

There's a wifi chip inside of cartridges?

no but there has to be some crazy ass proprietary device or code inside first party chips not featured in 3rd party games (because nintendo doesn't give a shit if someone runs transformers bootleged on a ds, but hell yea they will do what it takes to make sure mario kart is authentic). I know jack about wifi hardware or software, but perhaps when the repair guy opened up my ds to fix the dead pixel he accidentally fucked up the wifi chips so now I can't play mario kart or tetris or star fox online anymore :(

because I am the only one having this problem... I doubt nintendo will do much for my situation. Now if this was affecting thousand of other users, then yea they would go out of there way to fix it or replace my system. I am just thankful I can actually play the single player modes at all vs having a screen saying "This is NOT an authentic Nintendo DS and therefore will not run."

Getting online with my DS is a pain in the ass.I'm using a 2wire wireless modem, and I keep getting the error code 51300. I am trying to get on with Mario Kart, if that makes a difference. It finds the damn modem, but won't do a successful test connection. WEP code is all good, I have no idea wtf the problem is. I've been messing with it for over half an hour. PSP is so easy to get on, but this is a big time consuming thing. The FAQs don't help either.

[quote name='Blackout542']Getting online with my DS is a pain in the ass.I'm using a 2wire wireless modem, and I keep getting the error code 51300. I am trying to get on with Mario Kart, if that makes a difference. It finds the damn modem, but won't do a successful test connection. WEP code is all good, I have no idea wtf the problem is. I've been messing with it for over half an hour. PSP is so easy to get on, but this is a big time consuming thing. The FAQs don't help either.[/QUOTE]

I would call nintendo...let them know your having the EXACT same problem I had with first party games connecting to the wireless router. Mention that you have read online people having similar issues with first party games (mario kart) but not with 3rd party games (transformers)

Same trouble here as well. I get all sorts of different errors when I try to connect at random times. Sometimes I can get on straight off and others, it just hangs and then gives me an error. :(

I have the DS fat .

bread's done
Back