Rock Band "Wireless on Ps3 Only" bundle discussion.... Harmonix at fault?

scrapple

CAGiversary!
Cheapy and Wombat, thanks for discussing this on the show...

To add some fuel to the fire, Amazon now has the Guitar Hero 3 Bundles online for both the 360 and the ps3, and they both are WIRELESS AND $99 each!

Why would Harmonix be charging $20 more for their wireless gear on the 360? Do they know that the ratio of 360's to ps3's in the states is around 5-1 right now and are gouging the customer??? Microsoft cannot be at fault for this because the GH3 bundle is the same price on the ps3 and 360...

I disagree completely. Firstly, Activision is charging for wireless; their bundle is $20 more than the GH2 bundles were at launch. Secondly, MS is the one making extra hardware requirements and charging a licensing fee for using their wireless technology. Harmonix doesn't have any reason to absorb that extra cost, but unlike Activision they chose not to ripoff PS3 customers where Sony has an open and free wireless connectivity

So, in reality it is Activision who should be critcized for overcharging PS3 customers by $20.

Actually, it's $10. GH2 on the 360 is $10 more than the PS2 version, and GH3 is $10 more than that because of wireless.

Microsoft is absolutely at fault. Sony's decision to use standard Bluetooth in the PS3 means 3rd parties can easily make wireless peripherals without additional licensing fees.

Wireless guitars cost more on 360 because Microsoft charges a fee to use their RF tech.

Then wouldnt the ps3 version be cheaper? Who cares the game will sell like crazy regardless of price. You Phail.

I don't get why MS is so protective of their wireless technology. It's not like it does anything that hasn't been done before. Hell, I had MadCatz wireless controllers for my Xbox 180, that cost me $9. I used them for 2 years, and never had a problem with them.

I really think they made the wrong decision with this. I guess it just comes from their culture of closed proprietary standards. They are slowly trying to learn from the OSS community (in areas which it would be profitable for them to do so), but it will likely take another 10 years before they get it. Shame that it is costing 360 owners though.

And, if you think $10 for the licensing of that wireless tech is bad, imagine what would happen if the 360 ends up dominating this generation, like the ps2 did last generation. It will be $30 for the Xbox 720 wireless tech.

~S

This is why I'm buying the GH3 bundle, selling my GH2 controller, and buying Rock Band separate.

bread's done
Back