- - - - -

Have you ever skipped class/work before?

Poll: Have you skipped class, work, both, or neither before? (141 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you skipped class, work, both, or neither before?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

I thought the other day that I never skipped a single class in college (I only missed a day because I was really sick, could not moved, and had to be moved to a doctor). Many people I know think I'm crazy saying they'll skip class for no apparent reason I at times. I will go to classes on all optional attendance days. I've been sick a few times with an upset stomach, really bad headache, really bad cold, etc. and still go to class. I had surgery once on my day off from classes, then I returned to classes the next day still feeling like crap after surgery. I just feel going to class is very important no matter what, and missing a class is just really bad to me.

Since I never really had a job before where I had to be somewhere at certain times, I cannot say (I usually work for someone on my own hours). But I was always on time and never took personal time off though.

If you have car trouble, get really sick, or a death in the family, that's understandable and doesn't count against you. But what I'm asking about is if you ever skipped class/work because you just didn't feel like going, or wanted to do something else.

This thread is asking if you skipped school, class, work, etc. for no good reason.

#2 Sporadic   done with this site CAGiversary!   9499 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

I skipped school all the time.

I didn't really get sick, so I would use my 8 (per semester) and save 1 just in case something happened.

#3 Rocko   Hurm. CAGiversary!   38793 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

I skip class to play mah PSTriple.

#4 Liquid 2   Dutch Dreams CAGiversary!   24368 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

Never have here, unless I had a doctor's appointment, which I would use as an excuse to get out of the whole day.

#5 judyjudyjudy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3593 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

judyjudyjudy

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

I never skipped class in high school, and I can't think of a time I've skipped work without a semi-decent reason. However, I skipped a ton of classes in college. I wish I didn't (I probably would have learned more... and they actually cost money), but I guess I was insanely lazy.

#6 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49871 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

One for the "no skip, either work or school" crowd.

#7 TheCochese   TheLegend CAGiversary!   13961 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

All the time.

Once, I was in danger of failing tennis because of my tardiness. One more tardy or absent, and it was an F.

I got an A. ;)

#8 lokizz   Go $$$$ Yourself CAGiversary!   10104 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

the only time i skipped class was in college and i somewhat regret that but in most cases i didnt seeing as how i knew plenty of people in most classes and could get notes from them. hell it was so hard to go because you get the freedom of choice to go or not go so seeing as how i loved staying out late morning classes werent an option. work i dont now and cant but one job i had i used to call in occasionally but in all fairness i did alot of overtime and covered for alot of people at times.

#9 michaema   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   736 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

Does using your personal time off days count as skipping, if so count me as one. I always skip class/work on my birthday. Just a little thing i do for myself to let me know how much I appreciate all that I do for myself... :)

#10 Ikohn4ever   No Women, No Children CAGiversary!   10804 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Ikohn4ever

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

i have skipped for many reasons, hungover after a bday, overslept, too cold to feel like walking to class, real boring class that the teacher put up a review guide online the week before a test.

I can't believe the amount of people here who have never skipped anything, kinda sad.

#11 kjauburn   Maybe So CAGiversary!   1947 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

Not today...

#12 ZerotypeX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3876 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

skipped class quite a few times in college. It was a morning class at 7:30 and I didn't really feel like going.

#13 GuilewasNK   No gimmicks necessary. CAGiversary!   21267 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "skip work". When it comes to work, if you have personal days that you are allotted then those are yours to take.

#14 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49871 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "skip work". When it comes to work, if you have personal days that you are allotted then those are yours to take.

I think it's along the lines of calling in "sick" when you're not. Otherwise, vacation/sick days would apply.

#15 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

A lot of us have vacation days and sick days... so taking a sick day without being sick would probably constitute "skipping." In which case, yes, I have. Not very often, maybe a day or two a year.

But I skipped class in college often enough. Usually strategically timed when there was really nothing useful going on - or taking the maximum days allowed in phys ed classes. I don't think I knew anyone who didn't skip a class in 4 years of college.

#16 coltyhuxx   NoOtherValDudeCanTouchMe CAGiversary!   1576 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

coltyhuxx

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

I skip as much as I can without being negligent to my duties at work and school.

I can never understand how people max out their sick days (to the point they recieve no further ones).. that is "sick". Go take a mental health day.. go for a walk, go read a book in the sun... It's a thing called a life, you know. If you spend all of your weeks in school or a job (esp the latter) you're just selling yourself out and cutting your experiences in life short. Just my opinion.

#17 Liquid 2   Dutch Dreams CAGiversary!   24368 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

I can't believe the amount of people here who have never skipped anything, kinda sad.

I can't believe that someone would consider it sad that some people have never skipped :roll:.
Do you feel cool because you've skipped or something? That kinda reasoning makes no sense at all.

#18 Sephiroth1089   The Dark Knight CAGiversary!   306 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Sephiroth1089

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

yea i've skippped class before for no reason. usually when the teacher wasnt there i wouldnt go to the class in highschool. buti usually dont take off. i might cut my last class of the day to go home early on fridays but my teachers liked me so they didnt hold it against me, sometimes my AP bio teacher didnt even notice i was gone even though i was his best student. i've taken an entire day off when i needed time to myself cause the week wasnt going good for me, ie: computer broke down, my 360 wasnt working and other personal stuff. but i sometime when i do cut classes i have a weirdfeeling in my gut i guess.

#19 SIUfan   Amber Lamps, get dem CAGiversary!   811 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

What kind of question is this? I mean honestly, who hasn't skipped anything at least once in their life?

#20 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

skipped class quite a few times in college. It was a morning class at 7:30 and I didn't really feel like going.

Lol, I will never skip a 7:30am class at Purdue. I've also never been late to a 7:30am class, but I get up at 6am (or earlier) though. ;)

I just feel that going to class is very important. If I miss a day, I might have missed something I'll need to know one day. Also, what else is there to do at the time I have class? I'm scheduled at that time, so I might as well go.

I once had a dream that I got arrested, because I missed class. Yeah, that's kind of stupid, don't ask me why I had that dream.

#21 senorwoohoo   Radio CAGiversary!   14533 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

senorwoohoo

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

I've done both, but stopped when I realized I could have been making money and that I paid for my college classes.

It was fun to skip once in a while my sophomore year to play Halo 2 and eat a huge lunch.

#22 RAMSTORIA   fate is inexorable CAGiversary!   11980 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

raidenjack?

#23 Ikohn4ever   No Women, No Children CAGiversary!   10804 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Ikohn4ever

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

I can't believe that someone would consider it sad that some people have never skipped :roll:.
Do you feel cool because you've skipped or something? That kinda reasoning makes no sense at all.

you can roll your eyes, but usually when i skipped class is was for something fun or just the weather was way too nice to be stuck in a stuffy classroom for an hour. In college you need to seize the day. I am not saying that you arent having fun or cool, but if you go by the book and follow the rules your whole life you probably won't have any fun or be cool.

#24 Ikohn4ever   No Women, No Children CAGiversary!   10804 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Ikohn4ever

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

I just feel that going to class is very important. If I miss a day, I might have missed something I'll need to know one day. Also, what else is there to do at the time I have class? I'm scheduled at that time, so I might as well go.

I once had a dream that I got arrested, because I missed class. Yeah, that's kind of stupid, don't ask me why I had that dream.

not to sound like a dick, but if you combine this with your "ewww alcohol" thread it kinda paints a picture of someone that really needs to start living. Friend of mine from high school was a straight arrow, straight As, valedictorian, when to ivy league, etc. He recently told me he wish he never put so much pressure on his life and enjoyed it more. He never really fUcked around and now he regrets it but he has a real job so it def hampers his ability to just stop and sniff the roses.

OP make sure when you are done college all your memories don't revolve around books, classes, and video games.

#25 Mr. Anderson   spends too much time here CAGiversary!   8984 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Mr. Anderson

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

I miss a pretty good amount of school and work for a variety of reasons. Sleeping in and hanging out are the two main culprits. I have a good work ethic, but serious attendance problems. I remember calling in to work and school last November to play Guitar Hero II the day it came out. :lol:

#26 W.arner1281   Pissing off customers CAGiversary!   3053 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

W.arner1281

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

Back in college in think I skipped more than I actually attended. Work wise... I've done it a couple times, but only when it's slow at work and I know I can catch up the next day.

#27 PenguinMaster   Sacrilicious CAGiversary!   3845 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

PenguinMaster

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

I skip classes all the time. A lot of my professors don't take attendance and all the information is in the books, so I've had some classes where I pretty much just show up for the tests.

They were all GUR (General University Requirment) classes with information that I know I will never use again though.

#28 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22419 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

What a surprise to find nerds on the internets!!!

Seriously, don't you people ever get bored doing everything by the book? When I was in college I skipped the better part of entire classes - nevermind one or two here and there. I almost always took Fridays off to start drinking at noon unless I had a lab or something I couldn't miss. Even when I was in law school working my ass off I think I may have skipped some third year classes here and there (and a ton during interview season in the second year but I don't think that counts). As for work, obviously I skip much less than when I was in college but I'm definitely guilty of "working from home" on more than one occasion. Live a little people!

#29 shieryda   Opus Eponymous CAGiversary!   9251 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

The only time I "skip" work is when I have an interview elsewhere.

I'm sure I probably skipped a few classes in college, but none come to mind right away.

#30 Number83   ¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ CAGiversary!   10526 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

I used to skip 8th period US History in High School to go to the 7-11 and play Mat Mania at least 3 times a month. It was a sad day when it was replaced with Kung Fu. Ended up getting an 92 avg anyway.

Damn you Coco Savage for flying bodypress!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat_Mania