NHL 08 or NHL 2k8

snowsquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Technically not a regional question, but in practise it is... despite what the Butt Puppet (Gary Bettman) says.

Which way are you guys leaning this year? EA or Take 2? I just want to buy one which will have a large online community for an online league. I'll be getting one for PS3, so maybe I should be asking in that form... I haven't bought a hockey game since '04, so I am curious about what you guys feel is the best.

~S

I saw that CAGHL uses 2k, but I will be playing on PS3, and I think CAGHL is 360 only.

I have seen other threads like this aroudn the web, and it seems to be almost unanimous that 2k is better... yet EA's game always outsells it. The exact same thing could be said of W11/PE and FIFA. The power of marketing.

I'll likely pickup 2k8 then, and see if I can get a league going in the PS3 forum. Thanks for the opinions.

~S

WTF, we Northeasterners like hockey too. Maybe not in Texas, but...

Anyways, I've gotten every 2K game since the Dreamcast days, and I predict that'll stay the same- 2K FTW.

as the op of last years playoff thread i take offense to you assuming that a hockey game discussion belongs in the canadian forum.

get nhl2k8 for 360 if you want an online community.

I'm in Dallas and a pretty huge fan of the Stars.

Anyway, I say that it'd be wise to stick with 2K8, since 2K7 was really solid. However, seeing trailers and reading up about NHL 08 makes me think that I could at least check it out, or jump over franchises.

I know it doesn't help but just check out reviews and videos. I don't think the 2K engine for hockey games will be changing at all for 2K8, while NHL 08 has a chance to change up some. The Graphics of 08 are a lot better, too.

I have become addicted to the skill stick. I was hoping that 2k8 would have it in there game this year but, I have heard that EA Sports has patentented it thus, while they will have a "skill stick" it won't be used for shooting the puck. I have to go with nhl 08.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']as the op of last years playoff thread i take offense to you assuming that a hockey game discussion belongs in the canadian forum.you want an online community.[/QUOTE]

I never stated it belonged here, just figured there would be a higher concentration of hockey fans here. Also, I just post here more often, so I posted here because I am more familiar with the regular posters here.

I am a one system guy. This generation I went playstation.

The skill stick could be a deal breaker for me. I played a fair bit of NHL 08 for PS2, and really like the skill stick. I was hoping that 2k would have taken that feature by now. Maybe a little gimmicky, but still fun.

I might wait until the review for 2k8 to come out.

dmes, make sure to post your thoughts once you get both.

Thanks again for all the advice.

~S

Does somebody know if NHl 2k8 or NHL 08 might come out for Wii?

If not, what about 2k9 or 09?

It would be great to have a hockey game for Wii!

I'm sticking with NHL 08.. never owned, or really been a fan of the 2K series to be honest.. plus I love the skill stick, which I'm assuming 2K didn't use this year.

Nhl 07 was better on ice in terms of control and looks a lot better this year, but if you want an online community/leagues then you ill have to go with 2k8 because Ea is lacking in online. the problem with 2k's hockey game is that the scoring in the game is always the same. In 07 scoring was actualy fun...

Actualy 2k did rip off the skill stick this year...Im going with 08 prolly

I have been doing some more reading. EA's will have online leagues this year. (How good they are we will have to wait and see). 2k will have pro-stick, though you won't be able to shoot with it.

My bro is a EA NHL fan, so I will likely get EA's. I really like their skill stick. IMHO, it did play better last year, just lacked the franchise and online modes of 2k. If it has online play, I will likely go that route. Although I expect to waffle a few more times on the issue before release.

~S

Not really relevant to this thread, but I was playing NHL 06 against my brother, and I scored on a floater from the blue line. Needless to say he quit after that. =P

I could've sworn there was another thread on this already... maybe I'm getting confused with another forum. Anyway, I heard 2K will be using te same stick control like EA. I not only have to figure out if I'm gonna get 2k or EA but also if it's going to be for the 360 or PS3... argh.

[quote name='kfkl']the ducks won the stanley cup after all.[/quote]
STFU... never speak of this again. :bomb:

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Not really relevant to this thread, but I was playing NHL 06 against my brother, and I scored on a floater from the blue line. Needless to say he quit after that. =P[/quote]

lmfao.gif
If he likes 06 that much he should try 07! Oh man... My friend and I started calling them "EA goals" : sigh :

Actually NHL 08 does have online leagues this year, and I will probably pick up NHL 08 brecause Loved NHL 07 and the new controls, but I may pick up NHL 2K as well but I dont like the new features they have.

NHl 08 all I know is it has online leagues and create a play

NHL 2K8 has something similar to the Skill stick and have moved shooting and passing to the shoulder buttons and they hae a faceoff feature

[quote name='rvdrock']I loved NHL 07, and I'm getting NHL 08, that skill stick is too much fun for me...[/quote]

That's being introduced in NHL 2K8, too.

NHL 08 has a 3on3 mode that you can play online with 6 different people on 6 different consoles.

Also, I'm moving this thread to general gaming.

CAGHL = NHL2k8 360 and that is the reason I'll be buying NHL2k8 again.
I already called the Rangers and the league owner knows it. Last year we had alot of fun and the owner won the stanley cup ironically. Thatstoobad was pretty bad ass.

If CAGHL goes NHL08 I'll buy that game to. But the CAGHL was such a great experience I would never leave it even if NHL08 was miles ahead of 2k8.

Really -- unanimous beleif that 2k is better?
I have been a huge 2k fan for the best 6 years or so. But 2k7 was brutal and nhl07 was stellar especially with the skill stick.
From all of the previews I have read, for gameplay go nhl08.
Yes 2k8 may have some more extensive online ... but frankly the gameplay is just getting old.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']NHL 08 leagues are still not up to par with the 2k games.[/quote]

Really? Because you've played them both already extensively?

As for the OP's question, I was with 2K up until 2K6 when the game-killing bugs that NEVER seem to get fixed finally got to me, but NHL 07 for 360 was a great game--much better than 2K's offering. I'll probably try both, but I know for sure I'm picking up NHL08 on day one.

NHL 08 easily.

Firstly, it's being touted as THE Sports game of this generation.

3 vs. 3 online mode, you can play on the same team with two friends all playing in different houses against 3 other poeple doing the same.

Create-a-play in NHL 08 looks amazing.

On the fly AI sounds amazing.

Skill stick was and is amazing.

Add in online leagues and its a no brainer to me that I'm taking NHL 08.

All the 2k series was just one timers to me. If you watched that NHL 08 vid you'd see that the Defense actaully reacts different if you do the same play a number of times (one timer.)

Everyone said the same thing last year: NHL07 blew NHL2k7 out of the water.

Gamerankings 79.6 NHL07 versus NHL2k7 79.2. NHL07 finally beat NHL2k7 in reviews but by a very slim margin.

I'll be first to admit that I hardly tried NHL 07 after my friends told me the AI got stale and there was no online league. I noticed the play rate of NHL 07 went way down as soon as there was little to no support in terms of online. Thatstoobad set up such a great league last year I could honestly never touch another hockey game unless the online is flawless, regardless of how many one timer goals I can score.

Now if EA can get it right this year and have no lag/problems with the 3v3 (btw NHL Rivals wasn't a very good game but implemented this feature long ago. People seem to forget about that game, for good reason I guess... but don't give EA the credit just yet) and have a fully fuctional online system and polish the AI then I'll admit NHL 08 is the better product.

EGM gave NHL 08 a rather glowing review. Let's hope it continues through Gamespot/IGN and the other sites.

More food for thought. NHL 2k8 will have Bob Cole and Harry Neale for commentators, which in IMHO will really add to the authenticity. I haven't found Cole very good the last 5 years, but I still love Harry Neale.

Also 2k8 will run at 1080p, and 60FPS (confirmed). NHL 08 will be 60 on 360, and 30 fps on ps3 (unconfirmed).

Now I am leaning towards 2k8. Hopefully they put out demo's so I can test gameplay on the two.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23287.html

~S

I hate that the NHL 2K has had post faceoff slowdown since 2k5. It's been alleviated somewhat, but both the 360 and PS3 can't maintain a steady 6o fps. At E3 2006, I was promised this would be fixed by one of the devlopers.

We'll see if this year is any different.

From what I've been hearing, 2k's controls are pretty bad in comparison to 08.

From people who played E3/Leipzig? I have been reading around quite a bit on the two, and it really seems like 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']From people who played E3/Leipzig? I have been reading around quite a bit on the two, and it really seems like 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

~S[/QUOTE]

I just started listening to the 1up sports guy podcast (don't know how reliable or good they are, JUST started listening yesterday, didn't even know about the guy until I found it while bored on itunes). They mentioned that it wasn't good, and they had to press a few buttons to do a slapshot or something like that.

If you download the latest episode, they have a 20-30 minute interview with someone at EA working on NHL 08, that's why I was listening.

Just listened to that podcast. Most obnoxious podcast ever. But yeah, they do make 2k8's controls sound worse than bad.

I am concerned about 30 fps on the ps3. With a small puck that moves fast, 30fps ain't great. I can't seem to find any confirmation on ps3 framerate, but I am sure it is 30, otherwise they would be talking it up.

EB games used to have a policy where you could return a game for full credit if it sucked. 1 time per purchase, and you only had a couple days to do it. Maybe start with 2k8 unless and checkout the control scheme for myself. If it sucks trade it for 08.

~S

i got 2k7 last year. was in the cag league. i'm probably going to pick up both. so if theres enough people hopefully we can have 2 leagues going on. participation in last years league was very high.

if theres enough ps3 support for nhl08 i'll pick up that version. and 2k8 for 360

[quote name='Flyersfan']I just started listening to the 1up sports guy podcast (don't know how reliable or good they are, JUST started listening yesterday, didn't even know about the guy until I found it while bored on itunes). They mentioned that it wasn't good, and they had to press a few buttons to do a slapshot or something like that.

If you download the latest episode, they have a 20-30 minute interview with someone at EA working on NHL 08, that's why I was listening.[/quote]

they said to shoot or pass u use the bumpers. and u aim with the sticks.

but the online leagues frin ea sounds good. people can pick the same teams.

Title says it all lets see if the reviews are correct. I've always been a NHL 2K guy but I did get NHL07 last year, but got sick of it. I am hoping that 08 renews it :)

so this is what it is like to be Linkin Prime.....

[quote name='amicus']i got 2k7 last year. was in the cag league. i'm probably going to pick up both. so if theres enough people hopefully we can have 2 leagues going on. participation in last years league was very high.

if theres enough ps3 support for nhl08 i'll pick up that version. and 2k8 for 360[/QUOTE]

Yeah dude you rocked as the Senators. Look forward to our confrontations this year to. I recommend everyone get NHL2k8 and if you got extra cash get NHL 08 to. ;)

bread's done
Back