Xbox 360 vs. PS3 what are you looking foward to?

xbox 360 = updated xbox
ps3 = a whole new level of power **supposedly from what i've heard

but personally i am waiting for nintendo's revolution that looks to be interesting with all the downloadable content (every Nintendo game ever made)

[quote name='chimpian']xbox 360 = updated xbox

but personally i am waiting for nintendo's revolution that looks to be interesting with all the downloadable content (every Nintendo game ever made)[/QUOTE]

I'm not really that excited by that since most of them are available on the GBA and a lot of others that I liked back then don't really hold my attention now.

This might be the least excited I have been about new systems ever.

nintendo had barely ne thing on the revolution at e3 nor did they say much... nintendo mainly is support gamecube and gba at e3 this year.

[quote name='opportunity777']I'm not really that excited by that since most of them are available on the GBA and a lot of others that I liked back then don't really hold my attention now.

This might be the least excited I have been about new systems ever.[/QUOTE]

I agree I really feel this generation had at least another few years left in it. I honestly don't think companies have seen games max out their systems since the snes and genesis days

Wow. You didn't even include Nintendo in your poll. Out of the 2 you listed I'm going to probably get the PS3 unless the 360 blows me away - I've got way too many unplayed games sitting around. There's really no need for the "next generation" to begin.

The XBOX 360 really under impressed me. It seemed like it was no better than a high end computer. Stuff in the foreground looked similar to graphics in this generation and a wall in the back ground would have an extra level of detail to it. It's a shame because I think the X-Box was my favorite console this round and I was seriously considering buying the new X-Box before the new Playstation

I'm not making any decisions just yet. There is too little information on the PS3 and especially the Revolution for me to make any decision. I will wait a while as to not make any premature decisions. I want to get the best console, nothing less.

i think its a little early for new systems too..but who am i kidding? i will buy all three new systems like i always do....it seems the ps3 will be the x-box of this next generation though...if they can get an on line plan right..

[quote name='chimpian']xbox 360 = updated xbox
[/QUOTE]

Sony's PR is nice and fluffy isn't it? In reality they both have similar levels of "power." It's likely games may actually look better on X360 since its more practical than Sony's design and easier to tap.

I'm looking forward to both and am getting both, but X360 definitely has the edge for me both technologically and in terms of games.

Xbox 360. I just like what Microsoft has done with their current console, and the level of online play they've offered for so long. I'd like to keep supporting them, because I'm sure great games will still be developed for the Xbox 360 as they have for the Xbox.

The only real reason any console needs "more power" is so that graphics can be improved, and that's really the only hold on the Xbox 360 I can see that the PS3 has.

I'm going to hope on the xbox bandwagon. PS3's exclusive games arent enough to beat out Xbox's online play.

I was also greatly dissapointed by the ps2 itself. If PS3 is just an bigger PS3 its not going to be anything great.

[quote name='red flare graf']The only real reason any console needs "more power" is so that graphics can be improved, and that's really the only hold on the Xbox 360 I can see that the PS3 has.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true. What about AI?

More power will let you do AI and physics better, but....I mean, c'mon, who is actually going to do that?

Graphics whores ahoy...

[quote name='javeryh']That's not entirely true. What about AI?[/QUOTE]

I can understand a slight power increase needed for AI improvement, but being a programming major, I know that graphics take 10-15x more processing power than any code, if not more.

For some reason, this months PSM mag came with an 8 page flyer for Xbox 360. The specs, the online, etc, all look quite attractive, so it was tempting. However, none of the 8 or so games featured really appealed to me as 'must haves' [again, for me]. But though I have formerly been Sony-oriented, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open about the 360.

I can't really say anything bad about the PS3, the Xbox is simply what I want to stand behind. The only thing I really have time to play anymore is Xbox Live, about the only thing I can really pick up and put down whenever I want. The Xbox has been there for the busy gamer, whereas the PS2 has been so jampacked full of RPGs (which look very interesting anyway) and other lengthy Japanese titles.

[quote name='dtcarson']For some reason, this months PSM mag came with an 8 page flyer for Xbox 360. The specs, the online, etc, all look quite attractive, so it was tempting. However, none of the 8 or so games featured really appealed to me as 'must haves' [again, for me]. But though I have formerly been Sony-oriented, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open about the 360.[/QUOTE]
Wow that's a masterful PR stroke I'd like to shake the hand of the Microsoft guy that put that in motion

[quote name='jlarlee']Wow that's a masterful PR stroke I'd like to shake the hand of the Microsoft guy that put that in motion[/QUOTE]

Seriously! I was like, Um, how'd this get in here?

XBox 360. Once it hits $200, or wonderful beyond my expectations. Especially if it has backward compatibility, and boosts the load times on XBox games when emulated.

Hell I might be temped to pick up a PS3 down the road if IT'S emulation of PS1 games increases their load times. Why? My useless copy of Chrono Trigger for PS1, due to it's HORRID load times. Good thing FF4 Hard Type was worth that bundle deal.

[quote name='postaboy']ps3 cough**rpg**cough

xbox 360 what for when I have a hardcore gaming laptop.[/QUOTE]

I think its just me but no rpg on the ps2 was memorable.
There were lots of over hyped ones like kingdom hearts and disgaea that lose interest after 2 hours.

ok nice guys we almost have a tie between the two... it seems xbox 360 is winning... most likely cause of xbox live. ill admit the ps3 looks great but the price you know will be heavy but... on the other hand the 360 is just like an upgraded xbox, yes the graphics are better but not by much...i think xbox live is why people voted for 360 because live is the greatest online off a console ive ever played ps2's just doesnt cut it with it's online capabilties... but occasionally i enjoy an rpg and the ps2 brings some strong rpgs... but on the other hand the xbox has some badass shooters..

[quote name='Aleryn']Especially if it has backward compatibility, and boosts the load times on XBox games when emulated.

Hell I might be temped to pick up a PS3 down the road if IT'S emulation of PS1 games increases their load times.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm sick of all the short load times this generation. They better get longer with the next gen consoles or I won't be buying any.

At the outset I would just say I am confident each of the three new systems, just like the three current systems will provide a good gaming experience.

Personally I think to make a truly informed decision I think we need more information - particularly for people who are interested in Nintendo's offering. I like Nintendo but I don't think based on the information available someone could definitively say Nintendo will provide the best system. Now, that being said if you are a fan of Nintendo and have consistently bought their offerings and been satisfied with them, hey I am perfectly ok with that. But the basis for that decision should be spelled out as a historic satisfaction with Nintendo.

I have pre-ordered the 360. After owning each of the current three systems I finally decided that I prefered M$'s offering over Sony and Nintendo. Given my gaming time constraints I do not forsee buying the PS3 or Revolution, unless either of those systems are so far and away better than the 360 that it becomes clear that I made a mistake in getting the 360.

Interestingly the PS3 is offering an HDMI connection for HDTV. I find it interesting because most HDTVs (like 99%) only have one HDMI input, which would logically be used for the cable or satellite hook up. But I am curious to see how that plays out for them.

Any way you cut it I think I will be happy. And if the PS3 or the Revoultion is that much better I will dump the 360.

CTL

The Blu-Ray video/movie compatability, and the full compatability with all optical disks since CD, is a major selling point for the PS3.

I remember when DVD players first came out, they were like $400 and couldn't even play VCD or CD-R.

[quote name='javeryh']Wow. You didn't even include Nintendo in your poll. Out of the 2 you listed I'm going to probably get the PS3 unless the 360 blows me away - I've got way too many unplayed games sitting around. There's really no need for the "next generation" to begin.[/QUOTE]

It's practically as biased as saying:

Of the following next-gen systems, which one will you buy?

(1) Xbox 360

[quote name='psiufoxx2']It's practically as biased as saying:

Of the following next-gen systems, which one will you buy?

(1) Xbox 360
[/QUOTE]
All that Nintendo has shown is, literally, a black box. I don't see how anyone can get excited about that.

I'm sure Revolution will be a fine console, but there is no information out there right now. 360 will be out in November, PS3 likely in the spring. Revolution will be out in Winter 06. Its just a little further off than the other two consoles right now, so it is appropriate to leave it off the poll.

[quote name='Quackzilla']The Blu-Ray video/movie compatability, and the full compatability with all optical disks since CD, is a major selling point for the PS3.

I remember when DVD players first came out, they were like $400 and couldn't even play VCD or CD-R.[/QUOTE]

You bring up an excellent point about the Ble-Ray DVDs. I fear this could end up being as stupid and as divisive as Divx was. I really wish the industry could just decide.

In my particular instance I don't use a gaming syste for DVDs, so purchasing a system for that option is less of a concern for me. Likewise I have gone virtually 90 to 95% digital on my music.

Now if one of the two systems could accept my iTunes songs....that would be cool

CTL

[quote name='CTLesq']Interestingly the PS3 is offering an HDMI connection for HDTV. I find it interesting because most HDTVs (like 99%) only have one HDMI input, which would logically be used for the cable or satellite hook up. But I am curious to see how that plays out for them.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. I'm waiting to get a new DVD player before using the HDMI input on my TV. I can't wait to see how it will look.

I'm sticking with Revolution.

Who are you working for, OP?

Anyway, I would also like to get a PS3 at some point (mainly for Square games and my pitiful fantasy of a new Colony Wars game, which could happen), but Sony's talk of how they don't intend for the price to drop in the usual patterns puts me off enormously. I'll just have to skip it till they hit $200.

[quote name='javeryh']That's interesting. I'm waiting to get a new DVD player before using the HDMI input on my TV. I can't wait to see how it will look.[/QUOTE]

But realistically wouldn't you rather (assuming they have the capability) use your HDMI input on your TV for your cable or satellite? I have DirecTv and will be using the one input I have for those purposes and component cables for the 360 and DVD player.

I have seen a splitter box for HDMI which would add another 2 or 3 HDMI inputs, but then you are splitting and degrading the signal by using one of those.

Alternatively, I have a lot of stuff running through my reciever but I can't find a new receiver that has more than one HDMI, and that was a Yamaha.

Also have you looked into the cost of an HDMI cable? Even I find that expensive.

CTL

[quote name='dafoomie']All that Nintendo has shown is, literally, a black box. I don't see how anyone can get excited about that.

I'm sure Revolution will be a fine console, but there is no information out there right now. 360 will be out in November, PS3 likely in the spring. Revolution will be out in Winter 06. Its just a little further off than the other two consoles right now, so it is appropriate to leave it off the poll.[/QUOTE]

exactly my point that why i didnt put it on the poll...

To me, Microsofts demo seemed like a bunch of middle-aged wanna-be's trying to look cool, but having no sense of style. PC geeks galore.

Sony PS3 demos impressed me with potential cool games, but it is hard to trust Sony, since the PS2 demos did not represent actual gameplay.

I have both the PS2 and XB right now and I play the PS2 80% of the time.

I will buy PS3 for sure, and wait and see on the XB360. The Nintendo Revolution might also be pretty good.

[quote name='dafoomie']All that Nintendo has shown is, literally, a black box. I don't see how anyone can get excited about that.

I'm sure Revolution will be a fine console, but there is no information out there right now. 360 will be out in November, PS3 likely in the spring. Revolution will be out in Winter 06. Its just a little further off than the other two consoles right now, so it is appropriate to leave it off the poll.[/QUOTE]

That is all Nintendo has shown, but they have given out other information that does give reason to be excited about it (the downloads, SSB online).
I think that anyone who wants to chose the revolution at this point has at least as much justification as someone choosing the 360 or PS3. After all, what have they shown? What the console looks like and tech demos, as well as their tech specs. And we all know that tech specs and tech demos are a great measure of how good a console will be...

EDIT: And notice how many people are choosing the 360 because of live or the PS3 because of RPGs - is that not just saying that they liked the strengths of that particular console this generation and because of that are most excited about its successor? How is that any different than someone saying they liked what the GC had to offer and therefore are most excited about the Revolution?

we have a dead tie between both systems right now :whistle2:D... well for all you revolution fans srry for not adding the revolution to the poll... i mainly wanted this to be about the 360 and ps3.

The Xbox didnt impress me, and had maybe 2-3 games I liked on it, and so far the Xbox 360 doesnt look too much different to me, so PS3 is what I'm probably going to get first followed by revolution, and eventually 360 when its $20 at a garage sale years from now.

Well....so far I know more about Xbox 360 games and thats whats tipping the scales in favor of Xbox.

I dont really see anything of interest on Playstation. THen again, there hasn't been anything substantial announced for the PS3

Looks like I even it up again. I'm getting PS3 simply for the games. PS1 and PS2 didn't dissapoint and PS3 won't be any different. MGS, DMC, Tekken, Ratchet, Sly, Kingdom Hearts, Killzone, GTA, God of War, and other niche titles like Katamari and Ico.

Despite being a big Xbox fanboy, I gotta give props to Sony and its PS3 at the moment.

The reason is this.

I bought my 'box back in March of 2004. While knowing it had far few titles available, it was the much-improved graphics versus what the PS2 could push which sold me on Bill's machine.

Now, however, it appears Sony has leveled the playing field with the PS3 versus the Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, if now exceeded it based on screenshots.

Despite how Microsoft has tried to leverage more game designers commiting to its new baby, you just know that the PS3 is going to have at least double the # of games out for it after both have been to market for more than a year.

Therefore, I'm holding off till the PS3 debuts.

Plus, the fact that Microsoft is not implementing 100% backwards compatability really pisses my off for some reason, since Sony has been able to do it. I understand Xbox and the 360 use a different graphics card, but the architecture isn't that drastically different (I use to be a big PC gamer, so I know the ins-and-outs of both Nvidia and ATI graphics cards) that they couldn't have done it. Just plain lazy, my guess, but from other people I know its a decision that could cost Microsoft in the long run by putting off former 'box owners.

Plus, Microsoft's E3 presentation and displays were so lackluster. Sony, on the other hand, really went all out. Let's just hope the PS3 truly delivers the kind of graphical power shown in those E3 tech demos of forthcoming next-gen games. We all know they like to blow hot air and often times don't deliver the goods.

I still love my Xbox, however, and always will. But Sony will likely win my hard earned $$$ this time around.

[quote name='trytej']i'm more of a sony guy. the only turn off to the ps3 is the ugly controller.[/QUOTE]

It's not just ugly, it looks flat out uncomfortable. But yeah, that's pretty much the only turn off I've seen and that's a small concern.

bread's done
Back