XBOX360 HD DVD Add-on w/9 HD DVD's $179.99 Shipped @ Amazon.com

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
This deal is huge, I figured it needed its own thread.

Get the XBOX360 HD DVD Add-on w/King Kong, choose 3 HD DVD's from the list, and then get the 5 free mail in HD DVD's for free as well, for a total of 9 FREE HD DVD's.

:360: Promotion Page

5 Free HD DVD's Link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148214

Thanks to Kane Robot and Prock.

[quote name='Prock']i just tried the deal with the xbox 360 hd dvd player with the movies the departed, 300 and the fountain. it came out to 179.99.

Items: $263.84
Shipping & Handling: $7.46
Super Saver Discount: -$7.46
Promotion Applied: -$55.90
Promotion Applied: -$27.95

Total Before Tax: $179.99
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $179.99

edit: This is probably the best deal for the xbox 360 hd dvd player since you will get king kong (i believe), 3 free movies from amazon, and 5 from the mir offer.
Giving you a total of 9 free hd dvd movies.[/quote]

Sweet deal right now, but I wouldn't bite if I were you.

You'll see alot more deals like this now as bluray is outselling hd about 65% to 35% and retailers such as Blockbuster and I think Target have said they're discontinuing hd.

Besides, Microsoft has stayed mum about whether they might eventually offer a bluray dvd player as a 360 accessory. I think it's wise to sit tight if you can wait ...

[quote name='klew']Sweet deal right now, but I wouldn't bite if I were you.

You'll see alot more deals like this now as bluray is outselling hd about 65% to 35% and retailers such as Blockbuster and I think Target have said they're discontinuing hd.

Besides, Microsoft has stayed mum about whether they might eventually offer a bluray dvd player as a 360 accessory. I think it's wise to sit tight if you can wait ...[/quote]

Lets not start a HD DVD vs Blu-Ray discussion here....No Target is not discontinuing HD DVD, no Blockbuster is not discontining HD DVD. Target and Blockbusters that carry HD DVD will continue to do so. Target chose to sell a Blu Ray player throughout the upcoming holidays. HD DVD is alive and kicking...Paramount just went exclusive with HD DVD, that means you will find Transformers only on HD DVD, same goes for other upcoming Paramount films.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Lets not start a HD DVD vs Blu-Ray discussion here....No Target is not discontinuing HD DVD, no Blockbuster is not discontining HD DVD. Target and Blockbusters that carry HD DVD will continue to do so. Target chose to sell a Blu Ray player throughout the upcoming holidays. HD DVD is alive and kicking...Paramount just went exclusive with HD DVD, that means you will find Transformers only on HD DVD, same goes for other upcoming Paramount films.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. That's very reassuring and will help me decide on this great deal.

Oops: My bad on my original post below. It looks like you can get 9 movies free depending on which ones you choose. You'll have to go to check out to see the actual discount. I chose 300 (27.95), Batman Begins (19.99), and Bourne Supremacy (19.99). It took about $59 off when I got to the shopping cart (which meant 8 free HD-DVDs and 300 for ~$8.) ie, you only get 9 totally free if all the movies you choose are the same price.

It's actually 8 movies (not 9) because they're including King Kong as one of the extra free movies. So, the deal is HD-DVD with King Kong + 2 movies + 5 HD-DVD movie mail-in offer. This is still a stellar deal, though, considering free shipping and no tax in a lot of areas.

[quote name='jgressley']It's actually 8 movies (not 9) because they're including King Kong as one of the extra free movies. So, the deal is HD-DVD with King Kong + 2 movies + 5 HD-DVD movie mail-in offer. This is still a stellar deal, though, considering free shipping and no tax in a lot of areas.[/quote]

No it's 9 if you count King Kong, add 3 movies to your cart you get all 3 free I tested it out before I posted it on the Other Deals fourm.

[quote name='Nitron']actually its 10 if you pick the ones in the buy 2 get one free list here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150246[/quote] How is it 10? You can only get 3 free. [quote name='SuperFox']Problem - The three HD-DVD deal you quoted is for a Toshiba HD-DVD player, not the Xbox 360 add-on. You only get two HD-DVD's for buying the Xbox 360 player: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/102-6654411-4541761?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000125031&plpage=1

Your grand total is eight HD-DVDs, not nine.

Edit: Somebody posted before I got my post in. Disregard.[/quote] I orderd when it first went live and you were able to select 3.

The deal is not officially listed on Amazon. Just add 3 HD DVD movies from the list to your cart along with the HD DVD player and you'll see the results on the page that asks you to confirm your purchase...after entering CC info but before submitting. Its 9...Look at the quote of the CAG who purchased one in the OP.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Lets not start a HD DVD vs Blu-Ray discussion here....No Target is not discontinuing HD DVD, no Blockbuster is not discontining HD DVD. Target and Blockbusters that carry HD DVD will continue to do so. Target chose to sell a Blu Ray player throughout the upcoming holidays. HD DVD is alive and kicking...Paramount just went exclusive with HD DVD, that means you will find Transformers only on HD DVD, same goes for other upcoming Paramount films.[/quote]

Blockbuster is only ordering Blu-Ray: Forbes arcticle is here.
Also of note - the Paramount/Dreamworks deal is only for 18 months. They were paid for the deal.

Just some more info for everyone... Transformers may very well make it to Blu-Ray, just not for a while.

[quote name='goirish']BR fanboy BS removed.[/quote]Learn to read earlier posts.

LinkinPrime said not to turn this thread into a HD-DVD vs. BR discussion. Don't.

This is a great deal for anyone wanting the HD-DVD add-on. This is what this thread is for. There's plenty of other threads devoted to HD-DVD vs. BR. Go play in one of those.

I was thinking about getting the HD-DVD add on recently and this deal made me pull the trigger. Thanks for the post. The player and 9 total movies is a great deal.

I bought the player along with 300, Departed, and Bourne Supremacy for $187 including shipping and tax.

Earlier poster was right that if you pick three movies at the same price you can check out at $179 but there was nothing else I wanted at $27.95 to match 300 and Departed, so I paid the extra $8 to get a $19.99 movie. Weird that it works that way, but I can live with the extra $8 to get a get a movie I want rather than buy (and never watch) Happy Feet, Fountain or TMNT which were the only other movies which I saw that were $27.95 on the list.

[quote name='shrike4242']Learn to read earlier posts.

LinkinPrime said not to turn this thread into a HD-DVD vs. BR discussion. Don't.

This is a great deal for anyone wanting the HD-DVD add-on. This is what this thread is for. There's plenty of other threads devoted to HD-DVD vs. BR. Go play in one of those.[/quote]

sorry, I did read it. I don't give a crap what people buy. It is an awesome deal. I actually, bought it myself.

Just that the above post wasn't accurate... Enjoy your Hi-Def anyway you chose.

I'm waiting out for the 65nm chip 360 (I don't have a 360 yet). In your opinion, is this about the best the deals are gonna get before then? I'm about to bite on this one...

[quote name='MorPhiend']I'm waiting out for the 65nm chip 360 (I don't have a 360 yet). In your opinion, is this about the best the deals are gonna get before then? I'm about to bite on this one...[/quote]

Well yes and no,

No because I think around Christmas you might find the Xbox 360 drive cheaper $150ish. Also I still believe you will see a 199.99 stand alone HD-DVD player before the new year.

Yes because you can get near 200.00 in free DVD's right now something you wont see when the players come down in price.

IMO it's worth it for the free content

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Well yes and no,

No because I think around Christmas you might find the Xbox 360 drive cheaper $150ish. Also I still believe you will see a 199.99 stand alone HD-DVD player before the new year.

Yes because you can get near 200.00 in free DVD's right now something you wont see when the players come down in price.

IMO it's worth it for the free content[/quote]Yeah, I was wondering if people had thoughts on whether or not we would be seeing these free movie deals be renewed. If they are, they probably won't be as good as 9 free movies. I think I will do it. Thanks for the deal OP!

Thanks for the heads up, I almost grabbed one of these when i got my hdmi-pro 360 on sunday, with the extra free movies maybe now my wife wont kill me.

I couldn't help but pull the trigger on this one. I highly recommend you decide quickly if you want this anytime soon. It seems they are sending these as single shipments which means if you want a movie that is not immediately available then you will have to wait until it is before they ship the HD-DVD player and the rest. I picked "The Departed" and my estimated arrival is now LATE SEPTEMBER. Ugh.

Edit: If you take advantage of Amazon Prime then the items will ship as they are available. Just be sure to cancel it to avoid the $80/year charge.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Yeah, I was wondering if people had thoughts on whether or not we would be seeing these free movie deals be renewed. If they are, they probably won't be as good as 9 free movies. I think I will do it. Thanks for the deal OP![/quote]They're ending at the end of September, which is the beginning of the ramp-up for the holiday season. It's likely not to be renewed, though anything's possible in retail.

Did the five free BR discs push me towards buying a PS3? Yes, it did, though the loss of the EE chip was a much bigger push.

Would the nine free movies push me towards getting this drive? Yes, it would. Newer stand-alone players are coming from Toshiba, right after the end of September, when this promotion ends.

Something to keep in mind if you want to try and get the three HD-DVD's coming from Amazon for free, coupled with the B2G1 promotion they're offering.

All three titles have to be in-stock for it to take off the 3rd movie for free. I had to play around with finding three titles that were still in-stock, and it did take off the third movie for free.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Lets not start a HD DVD vs Blu-Ray discussion here....No Target is not discontinuing HD DVD, no Blockbuster is not discontining HD DVD. Target and Blockbusters that carry HD DVD will continue to do so. Target chose to sell a Blu Ray player throughout the upcoming holidays. HD DVD is alive and kicking...Paramount just went exclusive with HD DVD, that means you will find Transformers only on HD DVD, same goes for other upcoming Paramount films.[/QUOTE]

Apologies if some of my info was incorrect, but I've been reading financial news (my industry) and I believe a major retailer (Target) did/will stop carrying hd players though perhaps not the discs, and the Blockbuster news was widely reported though perhaps it's just that new stores won't carry any or existing wont' get more?? Anyway, hadn't heard or recalled about Paramount.

Yes it's still early in the format wars and I'm not trying to necessarily dissuade folks from one format or encourage another (I myself have only 360 and no PS3, so I'd prefer hd wins if for no other reason). But the sales stats are legit and I just want everyone to make an informed decision without any regrets down the line. That said, I'll say no more on the subject.

Awesome deal, picked up HD-DVD add-on, 300, Batman Begins, and TMNT.

Now time to start looking at HDTVs but for the time being, I'll use the drive on my laptop.

I hopped on it! Thanks for the info. Now I have to bring my Best Buy HD-DVD to Best Buy and return it. Thank God I can return it right to the store and shipping was free.

Damn, just last week I did the Best Buy deal and got 300 free. Oh well, I am not going to complain but this is a mega deal.

[quote name='thebob101']Totally on the fence, the items are in my cart, but I just can't...yet....I'm going to. Shit, I'm in.[/quote]

This was me, exactly.

Well I jumped in :D

Could resist. Also qualified for a $30 Logitech rebate from buying an 880 between 14th-20th of August and buying any electronic device over $100 within six weeks.

[quote name='dg7md']Damn, just last week I did the Best Buy deal and got 300 free. Oh well, I am not going to complain but this is a mega deal.[/quote]

Just buy it and when you get it, return the new drive with a new copy of 300 with the old Best Buy receipt. They don't record serial numbers on the drives. Simple swap and you get 7 more movies than you had for the same price, or less without tax :D

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just buy it and when you get it, return the new drive with a new copy of 300 with the old Best Buy receipt. They don't record serial numbers on the drives. Simple swap and you get 7 more movies than you had for the same price, or less without tax :D[/quote]

i did the same thing and i jus mailed the rebate yesterday morning :bomb: u think they would find out dat i returned the new drive to best buy and void my rebate?

[quote name='sipkristal']i did the same thing and i jus mailed the rebate yesterday morning :bomb: u think they would find out dat i returned the new drive to best buy and void my rebate?[/quote]

No there's no way to tell and technically speaking there's nothing wrong with it.

[quote name='thebob101']Totally on the fence, the items are in my cart, but I just can't...yet....I'm going to. Shit, I'm in.[/quote]
Dude I did the same thing. Now I have to try and convice the wife!!! :D Hopefully she will understand that 9 movies is an awesome deal

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just buy it and when you get it, return the new drive with a new copy of 300 with the old Best Buy receipt. They don't record serial numbers on the drives. Simple swap and you get 7 more movies than you had for the same price, or less without tax :D[/quote]
I was thinking of that, real tempted to bite on it... but out of the free HD-DVD list the only one I really want would be Serenity, and I can just pick that up without the possible return hassles when I get some cash, just dropped 260 today on text books. :cold:

Damn, that's really quite a good deal, especially considering their selection for the 3 free is actually really good. I mean, 300, Batman Begins and the Departed?! Damn...

I'm really quite tempted but I'm also about to charge a MacBook Pro to my credit card as well. Damn you 0% interest! You make buying stuff too easy!

I'm going to force myself to think on it for at least 24 hours...

EDIT: How are you guys getting the third movie free? I added 3 from the list that are all in stock and it's still charging for the third movie...

[quote name='graf1k']
EDIT: How are you guys getting the third movie free? I added 3 from the list that are all in stock and it's still charging for the third movie...[/quote]

If it's in stock and on that list you should get three. I think if they are out-of-stock or on order it won't work.

FYI...the deal also works if you buy multiple items of the same HD DVD...picked up Dune and two copies of Serenity...one for me and one to give away at Christmas.

bread's done
Back