CAG Foreplay #14: Drink the Burn (8/28/07)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of August 28th, 2007. This week we look at a Wii game not trying to touch generations, multiple original PlayStation 3 titles, and a Japanese RPG for the Xbox 360. Weird.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

CAG Foreplay Podcast show notes will be up later today.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay14.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Blue Dragon Dev. Mistwalker Pub. Microsoft Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
This turn-based role-playing game has the backing of a lot of famous classic RPG developers, so it should come as no surprise that they haven't strayed far from their original formula. Control your band of five anime characters as you set off to save the world from certain destruction. Nothing incredibly mind-blowing here (except for the insane cerebral-bore that's known as the boss music), but it's a solid RPG for Microsoft's camp. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Blue Dragon for $51 shipped. Circuit City is offering a $20 gift card if they don't have the game in stock by 2PM Wednesday.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $49.99 (99 cent shipping)
:360: See heyheyhey11's Circuit City ad $59.99 (Free $20 gift card if not in stock by 2PM Wednesday)

Carnival Games Dev. Cat Daddy Games Pub. Global Star Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Carnival Games was developed by Take Two specifically for the wii-mote, so the gameplay is simple and the controls are flawless. Although it's a mini game compilation, the games are new and entertaining, and all are nostalgic. There's skeeball, leap frog, and lots of throwing balls into or at things. And there's a dunk tank! If you're looking for deep and meaningful game play, skip this title. But if you're looking for simple entertainment for $40, this may be your title. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Carnival Games.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)

Dead Head Fred Dev. Vicious Cycle Pub. D3 Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
Fred has been murdered and brought back to life a-la Futurama head in a jar. Travel through this action-adventure title while switching heads and abilities, all the while searching for revenge. There are puzzles mixed in with the action requiring the gamer to use certain heads to achieve certain goals. For example, people won't talk to you if you look like a brain in a jar, so you must equip your mannequin head first, and then approach the humans. Thinking this game sounds silly? The M rating should dispel any ideas that this game is anything but adult fun. For only $30, you can enjoy this wickedly funny title. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dead Head Fred.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $28.24 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Dev. Omega Force Pub. Namco Bandai/Koei Systems: PS3, 360 MSRP: $59.99
If slicing through thousands of feudal Chinese men didn't do much for you, maybe you'd rather slice through thousands of non-descript robots in a mech suit. Doubtful, but for those that can derive some fun from the series, well, it's the same damn game you've been buying for years with a new skin so enjoy. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)

Garfield's Nightmare Dev. Shin'en Pub. Game Factory Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Too much lasagna prior to bedtime leads Garfield into a deep sleep. In order to awake him, you must lead him through this decent 2D platform title. For $20, it looks surprisingly entertaining and the graphics are good, but is this the game you're going to spend your money on this week? I doubt it. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Garfield's Nightmare.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $19.99 (99 cent shipping)

Lair Dev. Factor 5 Pub. SCEA Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
To release or not to release, that is the question. Lair might or might not be coming soon to a game store near you. But, we'll discuss the game just in case. This title is the much-anticipated PS3 exclusive set in a time when any good warrior rode on a giant kick-ass dragon. Sounds good already, huh? The graphics look good, but the SIXAXIS controls will likely both please you (when you're flying in open airspace) and frustrate you (when you're maneuvering through caverns). The rumors are that the game has been delayed until September 4th due to some issues with online features (leaderboards, medal systems). Even though this game looks solid, I just don't see it breaking down the walls of Bioshock, Metroid Prime 3, Halo 3, etc... coming in the next few months. But, for those who own the PS3 only, the major competition for this title is Heavenly Sword. So, decide which title looks good to you (or both), and shell out your cash! - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Lair for $51 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $49.97 (99 cent shipping)

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Dev. Retro Studios Pub. Nintendo Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
This is the game that a lot of Wii owners have been waiting for. Not simply because it's a Metroid game, but because this is the first non-minigame release that actually harnesses the potential of what the Wii can offer. After a very quick learning curve, Metroid Prime 3 immediately shows that this is a game that has been designed from the ground up for the Wii. Amazingly intuitive and precise controls, good graphics, and overall high production value make this a must play game. Just remember to pick up some AA batteries while you're out because those batteries in your Wiimote have been dead for months. - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Metroid Prime 3 for $44 shipped. Family Video offers it for $1 more and FYE has a $10 rebate for the game.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $43.99 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $43.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At FYE $39.99 (After $10 rebate)

Monster Hunter Freedom 2 Dev. Capcom Pub. Capcom Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
This action-adventure game has plenty of monsters. What it doesn't have is the excessive loading times found within Monster Hunter Freedom, so that's a plus. This title is a popular one in Japan but hasn't hit superstar status in the States. The graphics are good, and the battles are fun when you're playing with your friends in wireless ad-hoc mode. But, the decreased loading times have been exchanged for excessive wear on your PSP battery. The actual movements of your character are slow, and as always, the camera is a bit sketchy. But, this title has done well in Japan, so if you're in a weapons-crafting-monster-killing sort of mood, check out this title for a whopping $40. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

Moto GP 2007 Dev. Climax Studios Pub. THQ Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
What's the main difference between Moto GP 2007 and last year's version? Well, Moto GP 2006 is around $10 at Kmart, so about $50. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Moto GP 2007.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes Dev. CyberConnect2 Pub. Namco Bandai Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
Top 5 ninjas that I think are more ultimate than Naruto that won't be found in this game:
1. Snake Eyes
2. Storm Shadow
3. Donatello
4. Remo Williams
5. Ryu Hyabusha

With that out of the way, fans of the headbanded one can expect a three-on-three team-based fighting game based on Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2 with over 20 characters from the series... but no Snake Eyes. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes for $36 shipped.

:psp: Purchase At Family Video $34.99 (99 cent shipping)

Stuntman Ignition Dev. Paradigm Entertainment Pub. THQ Systems: PS2, 360 MSRP: $39.99, $59.99
If you hate freedom of choice and top notch graphics, but have a real "try-and-try again" OCD attitude, then you're probably very familiar with the Stuntman series by now. This time around the movie stunt-driving franchise has added a stunt constructor mode so you can release your creations to all your masochistic online friends. Truly, the frustrating part about this series is that they have a good concept and the game plays well, but they castrate the fun clean off with the strict rules and boundaries. -ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Stuntman Ignition. Most of the retail stores are offering some kind of "exclusive code" with your purchase.

:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $58.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 Dev. EA Tiburon Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: Everything MSRP: $29.99-$59.99
EA's ads for this game are quick to point out that it is the world's #1 selling golf game. No $@#!, really? Who else's golf game are we going to buy? The major improvements in the '08 version are the new facial mapping technology (so it will really look like you're playing with Tiger) and the loads of GamerNet extras. Apparently GamerNet is the way you upload your in-game videos and in essence create your own achievements. Seriously, buy this game and help EA take one step closer to total world domination. After all, they've already hijacked Steven Spielberg's talent, why not all our money too? - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video will save you a few dollars on most versions of Tiger Woods. Circuit City has the PC version for $30.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Circuit City $29.99
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $34.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $35.99 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $44.99 (99 cent shipping)

Warhawk Dev. Incognito Pub. SCEA Systems: PS3 MSRP: $39.99-$59.99
This online multiplayer-only game supports up to 32 players with clan support and detailed stat tracking. It's an impressive mix of on-foot, turret, land-vehicle, and Warhawk combat that is certainly action-packed and takes advantage of tilt-capabilites of the Six-Axis controller. The whole concept is compelling and will probably keep PS3 owners happily fragging people for months to come whether they buy the retail version with the Bluetooth headset or opt to download the game from the PlayStation Store. For those that own both a Xbox 360 and PS3, though, $40 may seem a little steep for a game with no single player functions when Master Chief's shadow is growing bigger by the day. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering the retail version of Warhawk with the bluetooth headset for $54 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $52.99 (99 cent shipping)

Wild Arms 5 Dev. Media Vision Pub. Xseed Systems: PS2 MSRP: $39.99
This is (you guessed it) the fifth game in this RPG franchise. It is (also evidenced by the title) set in the wild WILD west. There is a girl named Avril in the storyline, with no reference to Avril Lavigne. This title is heavy on the action and puzzle elements, and like the four games previous, uses the HEX system for battles. So, if these words mean anything to you, you are a fan of this franchise and should buy it because it is getting decent reviews and looks like fun. If you're not a fan, I'm not sure what about this game will make you spend your $40, so if you do, enlighten us. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Wild Arms 5 for $35 shipped.

:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $37.25 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $33.99 (Free shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Breath of Fire II Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
A traditional turn-based RPG from the Super Nintendo. Turn into dragons and burninate your enemies. - ship

Ghouls 'n Ghosts Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
The Genesis sequel to Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts continues the excellent action-platforming as the brave knight Arthur finds that there are more undead creatures to kill. These games are excellent if you have the patience and skill to deal with the high level of difficulty that accompany them. - ship

Streets of Rage 2 Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
A wonderful surprise entry to accompany Super Puzzle Fighter on the XBLA this week. Streets of Rage 2 is probably the definitive side-scrolling brawler of its era. And now with added online co-op, possibly the definitive side-scrolling brawler of this era. - ship

Super C Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
This is the NES take on Super Contra which differs from the arcade version (and XBLA version) by adding three more levels and a new boss in addition to the concessions that had to be made to make alien killing as smooth as possible on the home console. - ship

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Systems: PS3, 360 MSRP: $10
Long name, yes, but SPFIITHDR is a must download game for puzzle fans. An excellent mix of fast-paced jewel matching and planned "attacks" on your opponent make this one of the best puzzlers ever. The "HD" portion of the title signifies that they've cleaned up the graphics (except for the character sprites) and the "Remix" portion indicates that they have changed up some of the patterns of the "attacks" to rebalance the game. I'm not going to go through what the rest of the title means. Just buy it and I'll see you guys online. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

I agree that, if you have the original cart for a game that you really like, don't get rid of it and buy the VC version. For example, I have Mario Kart 64, but I'm not going to get rid of it just to buy the download on the Wii. The Cart doesn't take up much space. Plus my kids can play it without tying up the Wii. And they will last a LONG time, maybe longer than my Wii.

That said, my wife gives me the same complaint that probably a lot of CAGs get, and I can't really argue; too many games that I never play! Why do I have an EA Sports NHL 2003 game that I have maybe put a total of 2 or 3 hours into? Well, the answer is because it was $5 new at Circuit City, but I really don't need it.

PUZZLE FIGHTER HD! we need to play a game together :)

btw shipwreck, Ken Levine explained how the Big Daddy figures were broken in an interview on Gamespot (i requested the coffin too):
"You know those giant shipping containers on boats? Some guy had one of those shipping containers with half of the Big Daddy figures for the world in them and it slipped out of a crane loop and fell onto the dock. And cracked a zillion of the Big Daddy figures. If course, they didn't make two times as many figures as they expected to need, so we ended up with a bunch of people getting broken Big Daddies. "

Once when I was playing Carmageddon my landlord knocked on the door and asked if everything was O.K. because of the screaming she heard.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']this is killing me....where was the intro song from.....it isnt from South Park "Good Times With Weapons" is it???[/quote]

Blue Dragon boss battle theme :)

Just to let you guys know straight from the Gundam Wikipedia Page:
Gundam (ガンダム, Gandamu?) is one of the longest running series of anime featuring giant robots or mecha, created by Sunrise. Gundam is the collective term for the Universal Century (UC) series like Mobile Suit Gundam and series in alternative timelines, such as Gundam Wing, Gundam X or Gundam SEED. The name "Gundam" itself stems from a variety of theoretical sources, most commonly attributed to a need to conform with common giant robot naming conventions during the 1970s.

[quote name='InuFaye']Just to let you guys know straight from the Gundam Wikipedia Page:
Gundam (ガンダム, Gandamu?) is one of the longest running series of anime featuring giant robots or mecha, created by Sunrise. Gundam is the collective term for the Universal Century (UC) series like Mobile Suit Gundam and series in alternative timelines, such as Gundam Wing, Gundam X or Gundam SEED. The name "Gundam" itself stems from a variety of theoretical sources, most commonly attributed to a need to conform with common giant robot naming conventions during the 1970s.[/quote]

yea, it's the equivalent of Star Wars in America to Japanese audiences. they even have an awesome Gundam theme park in Japan

Taki from Soul Caliber notified me that she was deeply disgraced for not making the list. Scorpion was rather pissed. Michael Dudikoff said, "Well, there's always next year".

Does Blue Dragon have the same framerate issues as the demo on live? I was really excited about the game until I played the demo, which had really choppy fight animations.

[quote name='traslin']Does Blue Dragon have the same framerate issues as the demo on live? I was really excited about the game until I played the demo, which had really choppy fight animations.[/quote]

no framerate issues mentioned in the final game from the EGM review.

You mentioned hardcore Gundam fans and hardcore Dynasty Warriors fans. I'm both! When they announced the game I was sure I was dreaming. I'll be picking up my copy today ASAP! Also to clarify a bit of what Inufaye posted, a Gundam is a type of mobile suit (giant mecha). The most famous of course being the RX-78 that Amuro Ray piloted in the One Year War.

Also going to grab Wild Arms 5, and debating on whether or not to pick up Dead Head Fred.

Ugh, that boss song is horrible. What were they thinking? Not that I had any interest in Blue Dragon to begin with, but that song just assured that I stay far, far away from this game.

As for your pests, you did give your cats a nice mousey dinner, right?

And Alundra and Landstalker were both developed by Climax, that's why they feel similar.

Technically, the correct way to pronounce Cao Cao in Chinese is actually "Tsau Tsau." But I don't mind when people pronounce it as Cau Cau, as everyone makes that mistake, especially Koei pronounces it that way in Dynasty Warriors. Though I would start to be worried about name pronounciation when if China takes over the world ;).

[quote name='InuFaye']Just to let you guys know straight from the Gundam Wikipedia Page:
Gundam (ガンダム, Gandamu?) is one of the longest running series of anime featuring giant robots or mecha, created by Sunrise. Gundam is the collective term for the Universal Century (UC) series like Mobile Suit Gundam and series in alternative timelines, such as Gundam Wing, Gundam X or Gundam SEED. The name "Gundam" itself stems from a variety of theoretical sources, most commonly attributed to a need to conform with common giant robot naming conventions during the 1970s.[/QUOTE]

I knew someone would be able to provide a lot more information than we would on the subject. That's a lot of links!

[quote name='Cao Cao']Technically, the correct way to pronounce Cao Cao in Chinese is actually "Tsau Tsau." But I don't mind when people pronounce it as Cau Cau, as everyone makes that mistake, especially Koei pronounces it that way in Dynasty Warriors. Though I would start to be worried about name pronounciation when if China takes over the world ;).[/quote]

i can totally understand...

Isnt Super puzzle fighter Hd remix turbo alpha whatever coming out on steam for the pc too? Or am i just imagining it? i hope i am not because i love this game and i was planing on getting it.

Damn, Mrs. S, you seemed especially mean this episode. A few cringe worthy moments for me, like when you kept stepping on Shipwreck when he was trying to explain Gundam. I understand that part of the 'schtick' is the bickering, but this week didn't seem as light hearted.

A special congratulatory mp3 for our contest winner and all that entered from Scobie:

[media]http://download163.mediafire.com/mlyzmwjj4w4g/fdiymim4djg/CAGForeplayContest.mp3[/media]

Another great episode guys, they really feel fly when I'm listening to them, which is a good thing.

Did you not tell Shipwreck's Dad that there's a lefty flip on GHII?

Heck, I didn't even know I played guitar lefty until I played Guitar Hero and couldn't figure out why all the notes were backwards.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Damn, Mrs. S, you seemed especially mean this episode. A few cringe worthy moments for me, like when you kept stepping on Shipwreck when he was trying to explain Gundam. I understand that part of the 'schtick' is the bickering, but this week didn't seem as light hearted.[/quote]

Yes, I know. I was pretty tired yesterday and was approaching cranky by the time we got to the last few games. So, I should apologize to Ship for interrupting him so much. I'm on call this week, and I tend to not be as relaxed overall when I'm waiting for the phone to ring. :cry: Anyway, if I seem more nag-tacular every fourth episode, that's why.

I haven't listened yet. But I just purchased a PS3 from amazon, and as soon as I get it, I'll be downloading Super Puzzle Fighter. Ooooh I'm so happy, SPF!

:)

I'll post again later when I've actually listened to the show.. ;)

/tk

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Scobie, you sound way too professional ;)
Have you worked in radio/voiceover land?[/QUOTE]

Actually, my background was in broadcasting and audio production. I used to do a radio show and produced a lot of commercials for local businesses and the university in my old home town. The tools I have at hand now are kind of gimped, but I can hack through it to come up with something fun in a pinch.

And, as Maklershed will tell you, I also know a way to get off of this island. :)

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I'm on call this week, and I tend to not be as relaxed overall when I'm waiting for the phone to ring. :cry: Anyway, if I seem more nag-tacular every fourth episode, that's why.[/QUOTE]

Oh... THAT's why...

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Yes, I know. I was pretty tired yesterday and was approaching cranky by the time we got to the last few games. So, I should apologize to Ship for interrupting him so much. I'm on call this week, and I tend to not be as relaxed overall when I'm waiting for the phone to ring. :cry: Anyway, if I seem more nag-tacular every fourth episode, that's why.[/quote]

i think i heard you yawn towards the end of the show, but i didn't think you were mean.

I can't believe anyone mentioned "touchdown jebus," or "JC of the Quicksand" as it's affectionately known in our family, on a podcast! We used to live in Dayton Ohio (40mi north of the Ships in Cincinnati) and would see this thing too often. For those who haven't seen it you should follow the link below. Who could possibly have thought this was a good idea?

http://www.solidrockchurch.org/images/king_fount.jpg
...and it looks even stranger from I-75.

in response to one of the letters to the mailbag, i love mountain dew and code red is awesome. the new halo 3 game fuel is terrible but the caffeine amount must be high. cuz i only had 4 hours sleep and after drinking some of it during work, i am completely awake and alert. better than coffee! :)

[quote name='Scobie']
And, as Maklershed will tell you, I also know a way to get off of this island. :)[/QUOTE]

Why would you with Ginger, Mary-Ann, and that sexpot, Mrs. Howell?

And seriously, have the Ships experienced (or seen) any of the flooding in Ohio?

Maybe the meices are looking for high ground?

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Taki from Soul Caliber notified me that she was deeply disgraced for not making the list. Scorpion was rather pissed. Michael Dudikoff said, "Well, there's always next year".[/quote]
What about the guy from "Gymkata?" ;)

Good show. Glad Ship's digging Metroid.

When I saw the title for this episode, I fully expected to hear you guys doing shots.

Just as an aside, there's a bit of a factual error in the Wild Arms 5 preview - the game is not the fifth game in the series to use the "HEX" battle system - it is the second. I don't know if this is just because of awkward sentence structure (it refers to being the fifth game in the series in the same sentence), but just something that needed to be noted.

"The Burn" makes it sounds like your niece is doing drugs. Very entertaining podcast as always, but I have to disagree about your opinion on Stuntman. This game definitely requires a large amount of experience with realistic driving sims, but the difficulty is what makes the game. I only played the original for PS, but to this day it was one of my most entertaining gaming experiences.

I think in general, the two of you don't embrace difficulty in games. I would like your opinion on games like Ninja Gaiden. Maybe you can do something to appeal to an audience who prefers to start a game on the hard mode.

This was an excellent podcast. This time the bickering was kept to a manageable level and it the podcast chemisty between you two is finally nearing where it should be. Now keep in mind I like debates, but not about things that have nothing to do with games.

ralphchocolate.gif

"They taste like burning!"

I finally got to listen to the show this morning. Great show as usual, guys! I'm surprised you guys are having so many problems with mice. Is there anything your landlord/rental office can do?

Hmm...you got Metroid Prime 3 early, and you had to record late...coincidence? ;)

Finally, if Dead Head Fred is a brain in a jar, how does he move around? :D

/tk

[quote name='CheapyD']You should also sell the sign from outside your old house.

[/quote]

Are there naked girls in there (besides Mrs. Shipwreck)?

Great Show. Thanks for the Pics of the Awesome haul, if you could I would love to see pictures of the board and other bits from the board game. Let us know when you drop anything else out their on Ebay.

bread's done
Back