50% off pre-viewed games/movies at Blockbuster until Sept 8th (YMMV)

JohnSexton

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone, I don't post here much, but I got a good deal at my local blockbuster recently and thought I'd share in case anyone else might benefit.

All of the Blockbusters in the Nashville, TN area (and maybe a larger area) are having a 50% off all pre-viewed games and movies sale.

Most of the time my local stores just have crap, but sometimes they will put out large batches of games, seemingly chosen at random, to make room for the next gen stuff.

In short, I managed to snag a copy of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (xbox) for 6.99. No book, but still.

There were some other good ones too, but MVC was the big one. So if you live anywhere in the South, check to see if your local BB is having this sale... you never know what treasures you might find!

[quote name='foxhunt99']I wouldn't buy anything used from Blockbuster, the discs are probably scratched too much.[/quote]

Always check the disc before purchasing. Always, always, always, always, etc.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Always check the disc before purchasing. Always, always, always, always, etc.[/quote]
soooo...always?
:D

[quote name='jdawgg76']Always check the disc before purchasing. Always, always, always, always, etc.[/quote]

You can't, they are locked up in the little plastic cases

[quote name='Quintox']You can't, they are locked up in the little plastic cases[/QUOTE]

Well, ask to see the disc when you bring it up to the cashier, that's what I do when I buy used.

[quote name='foxhunt99']I wouldn't buy anything used from Blockbuster, the discs are probably scratched too much.[/quote]

You'd be surprised. If you live in an area near a large city, it seems like all the urban and suburban game renters tend to stick with the popular titles, particularly the garbage over produced sports trash (this is particularly true the closer you are to ghetto areas). I would never ever pick up their used sports games, which they have tons and tons of, because those are the ones that are beat to hell and still overpriced at $1.99 or whatnot. But it seems like nobody rents the non mainstream RPGs and other such games, only the ones that have been hyped and advertised massively.

I ended up stopping in the closest one to me (Beverly Hills south) a couple days ago and I couldn't believe the used selection - I basically cherry picked out 5 or 6 semi rare PS2 RPGs including a couple of the Shin Megamis, one of the Disgaeas, a couple PSP/Xbox hard to find titles, a Marvel vs Capcom 2 PS2 and 2 copies of Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on GC. All were marked between $5 or 6 up to $14.99, and with the half off I got a dozen or thirteen games for under $90. I have them piled to the side since I have to remove stickers from the cases, and Blockbuster's stickers now are very easy to remove and don't tear/leave sticky goo, unlike Gamestop.

I made sure to check all of the discs (didn't give a damn about the line behind me, it took about 10 minutes to go through the discs), and most of them looked like they had never been rented or even touched. It was incredible. Of course, some of them have the Blockbuster plastic case instead of the original (but still the original inserts), and I think the 2 Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes were missing the manual and maybe another game was missing its manual or it was beat up.

[quote name='Quintox']You can't, they are locked up in the little plastic cases[/quote]

Yeah, but I told the clerk at the front that I wanted to check each disc. So he opened each one, I looked them over, and told him yes or no to each one. Then he rang up the "yes" pile.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Well, ask to see the disc when you bring it up to the cashier, that's what I do when I buy used.[/quote]

Exactly! And yes, always:D

[quote name='heatdolphins45']might have to hit up my 2 local Blockbuster's this labor day weekend. is 360 titles 50% off also if it's used?[/quote]

This I must know as well

I'm pretty sure paying the "full price" of $14 for MvC2 would be a hell of a deal that anyone would snatch up immediately. Perhaps the fact it was still there indicates why your particular Blockbuster needs such a sale?

Was driving by Watertown MA location. Stopped in and no go there.

[quote name='JohnSexton']Hey everyone, I don't post here much, but I
got a good deal at my local blockbuster recently and thought I'd share in case anyone else might benefit.

All of the Blockbusters in the Nashville, TN area (and maybe a larger area) are having a 50% off all pre-viewed games and movies sale.

Most of the time my local stores just have crap, but sometimes they will put out large batches of games, seemingly chosen at random, to make room for the next gen stuff.

In short, I managed to snag a copy of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (xbox) for 6.99. No book, but still.

There were some other good ones too, but MVC was the big one. So if you live anywhere in the South, check to see if your local BB is having this sale... you never know what treasures you might find![/quote]

this will really suck if nationwide since i just blew 40 bucks last friday

spongebob psp 10
luxor 15
racing 2006 15 (though might go back isnt playing right)

This must be franchise-specific. I just checked in-store at a Blockbuster in WA and no mention or knowledge of any pre-viewed sale. I called another local store and got the same response.
Too bad, but the national stores are due for another pre-viewed sale any day now.

One of the Blockbuster's here has 5 for $25 on all previewed movies/games. Nothing good, but I'll try the other one in town.

Do what I did. I got a great deal on a used game for my son for Christmas, but when I got home, the disk was scratched. I rented the same game and switched the disks.

That's another good option, IF they still have a rental copy of the game you bought.

Also, remember to check inside the insert (i.e. between the plastic case and the insert) for the instruction manual. Half the games I bought had them there instead of inside the case.

Why do you guys care if the underside of the disc is scrathed? As long as it works, who cares? I mean most game consoles will scratch a disc up at least a little bit during normal use (except the Wii for some reason). I've bought literally hundreds of used games over the years (That's really not an exaggeration), and out of all those, I've only had about 2 that didn't work (Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast, and Klonoa 2).

roc's feather;3298418 said:
Why do you guys care if the underside of the disc is scrathed? As long as it works, who cares? I mean most game consoles will scratch a disc up at least a little bit during normal use (except the Wii for some reason). I've bought literally hundreds of used games over the years (That's really not an exaggeration), and out of all those, I've only had about 2 that didn't work (Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast, and Klonoa 2).

Even the smallest scratch runs the chance of freezes, etc. etc. Fixing a game with a disc doctor typically lowers the value, and a disc in mint condition is always more in trades.

[quote name='blucadet3']nothing at 2 of the norman locations...

but i did rent warhawk :D[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha! There are 3 Blockbusters in Norman! :D

Definitely a regional thing. The store I work at (along with the rest of my district) have no knowledge of this sale. I wish we were having it, but no such luck.

[quote name='CPTMcNair']Do what I did. I got a great deal on a used game for my son for Christmas, but when I got home, the disk was scratched. I rented the same game and switched the disks.[/QUOTE]

And you wasted your money on the rental. They would have exchanged the disc out.

Because some of us want games that have been cared for, they do cost a pretty penny to buy at times. And if say I wanted to trade it into FYE during one of their extra 20% deals, I wouldnt because they are more anal about the condition of the discs than I would be

I am very particular about condition of my collection, I regularly switch out games cases that are stickered or dented with nice ones if I have a better case on a disc I might be trading.

I went to a Blockbuster store just down the road from my work. The 50% off ONLY applied to Sports games 2007 or older :(

I'll back you on this. I don't care about scratches or inserts or manuals either. Unless I'm buying a brand new game, the only thing I care about is that it plays. I understand where a lot of CAG members come down on the opposite side of this one, but it's just not important to me. Especially on used games where I'm paying less than $10. I view games as entertainment cost; a movie in the theater is almost $10, so if I get at least three hours of enjoyment out of a disc, csuffed or not, I feel validated in my consumerism.

As others have said, better condition discs fetch more when trading or reselling later. I have no idea what you're talking about with consoles scratching games. I have a Dreamcast, Saturn, PS2, GameCube, and XBox (not to mention my PC), and none of them scratches discs at all during normal use. All of the games I bought new are still scratch-free, with the exception of a couple that I fumbled and dropped when loading or unloading them. I've heard a lot about the 360 scratching games, especially when it's kept in a vertical position, but I don't have one yet and so can't say that I've seen it.

Found out the 5 for $25 is just the local store, not nationwide. It actuallly ends today, I have one more store to go to. Only thing noteworthy so far is:

Out Run Coast to Coast 2006, Xbox, Complete
Family Guy, Xbox, No Booklet

Ended up getting movies for my other 3 choices:

Wrestlemania 23
WWE Judgement Day 2006
Hot Fuzz

Not bad for $25.

[quote name='Flushola']I went to a Blockbuster store just down the road from my work. The 50% off ONLY applied to Sports games 2007 or older :([/QUOTE]

These are usually the only games or the main lot I see when I go to these sales. In the past year though I've come across a decent selection.

[quote name='Flushola']I went to a Blockbuster store just down the road from my work. The 50% off ONLY applied to Sports games 2007 or older :([/quote]
Has anyone else seen this with sports titles? I'm wondering if this is national and my store just didn't have signs up. I've been wanting NHL 2K7, and $7.50 seems like a pretty good price.

[quote name='Rozz']Can anyone else confirm this besides the Op?[/quote]

I live in Nashville, same as the OP, and they've been advertising it on the radio (specifically for the Hickory Hollow store, but it might apply to the others as well), but I haven't gone to check it out. I've never had very good luck finding any reasonable game deals at Blockbuster (They always seem to be selling 5 year old sportsgames at near-original MSRP), plus I don't have any store credit there.

Here in Memphis, TN they are advertising it on the radio as well-- 50% off previously viewed movies and games at all Memphis area Blockbusters. I hit up a couple of stores on the way home today and picked up MGS3 Subsistence for PS2 for $7 and Fire Emblem for Cube for $10. Not much else that was great.

Sounds like it may be a regional thing.

hey guys i'm a manager at blockbuster and so far we havent gotten this deal and we havent received any emails or memos about this deal and our store is corporate

[quote name='4tygames']Ha ha ha! There are 3 Blockbusters in Norman! :D[/quote]

I know but I dont go to the east side...too ghetto.

Nothing in Elizabethtown. I won't be in Louisville until Monday when I'm working.

It's a shame the sale isn't longering. Then, I could buy some gift cards off of eBay.

Nothing like buying some for 50% with corp script you bought for 80 cents on the dollar.

[quote name='xgamer']One of the Blockbuster's here has 5 for $25 on all previewed movies/games. Nothing good, but I'll try the other one in town.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a pretty good deal, cheaper than 50% in some cases.

Nothing at my local BB, the only deal they have is 2/20 for dvds 12.99 and under or something like that. Not even the 4/20 deal.

Sounds like, as with all of these great Blockbuster deals, that this is only happening at some franchise stores and not corporate locations (ie, most of them). The prices people are posting (even before 50% off) seem all wrong too. Franchise stores don't follow the corporate deals or pricing for games. Blockbuster sales are never YMMV if they are run by corporate. But franchise stores might as well be a different chain except for the ability to use value cards at both types.

[quote name='GarrettJD']Here in Memphis, TN they are advertising it on the radio as well-- 50% off previously viewed movies and games at all Memphis area Blockbusters. I hit up a couple of stores on the way home today and picked up MGS3 Subsistence for PS2 for $7 and Fire Emblem for Cube for $10. Not much else that was great.

Sounds like it may be a regional thing.[/quote]

Too bad I won't be in Memphis till two weeks from today. Then again, I really should be as frugal as possible while I'm there...

roc's feather;3298418]Why do you guys care if the underside of the disc is scrathed? As long as it works said:
I don't care if I pay $50 or .50 for the game, if it's actually possible, I WANT ALL OF THE INSERTS, A REGULAR CASE and THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL and unless I get as much use as I deem fit out of a game, it's not worth its price. And, sometimes, that means multiples of multiples of playthroughs before I'm satisfied.

Now, who's to say that that scratched pos disc won't work for a week and then no longer read for me? Albeit, it's not always the stores fault for selling scratched discs, since some games are released 'broken' and that is another topic altogether that I wish people would band together on to try and stop.

bread's done
Back