Best upcoming MMORPG?

breakin2

CAGiversary!
I'm getting a new laptop and want one of the upcoming online role-playing games to mess around with since the laptop will be on a wireless network and I can play it anywhere in my house. However, I'm not much of a PC gamer since my older PC can't handle much. Which upcoming game seems to show the most promise? I know of Guild Wars, Everquest II, World of Warcraft, and the the Light Speed expansion to Star Wars Galaxies. Any recommendations?

i think wow looks like the best one but I'm sure EQ2 will be good as well

I like wow a little more though because it's not as party based

Go read reviews before you buy EQ2. You'll need a high end machine to run EQ2 smoothly. I've read alot of reviews from people in beta and only like 1 or 2 people enjoyed it while most of them hates it.

I wasn't gonna try either one especially WoW since it didn't interest me but now I think I will. WoW looks fun, especially the pvp.

I love the Star Wars Galaxies game. I've put so much time into that game its scary. World of Warcraft is probably the best of the lot that are being released though. It also comes from one of my favorite game developers and is one of my favorite series, Warcraft.

MMORPGS are the devil! dont give in! other than that i would choose WoW. Guild wars looks cool though, and no monthly fee.

Well World of Warcraft is a waste of 50 bux if you buy that, hell even 5 if you can find it that cheap. EQ2 claims to have soloing, but I believe that about as much as I do as Jaguar's coming out with a new system. Guild Wars has the whole no fee gimmick, but it also has the terrible scar of having once have been in contact with Blizzard, (former employees or not, they still carry the company's terrible ways with them). Only thing I'm seeing nowadays that's halfway decent since they cancelled True Fantasy, would be the upcoming Anarchy Online Expansion, Alien Invasion, and then the Star Wars Galaxies expansion, Jump to Light Speed er something along those lines, who cares if jawas aren't a playable race, (are they, hmm, must find out). That's about for popular games that will actually have people on their serverws, unlike Mourning which looks awesome but no one will ever play.

I've played most of the recent MMORPGS, including being in WoW since phase 1, matrix online phase 1, and EQ2 as of two days ago. EQ2 is by far the best out of any I've played, but I also played EQ1 for about a year, so my opinion might be biased. Personally, WoW held my interest for about two days max (I think it sucks). EQ2 seems to be running pretty smoothly on my 2.4b p4, 1024 ram, 9800 pro on above average graphic settings. As of everyone not liking EQ2, when i was shouting in game today that the game was awesome, everyone in the zone seemed to agree with me. The graphics and UI are great, voiceovers make the game awesome, and it seems that they are making combat fun, adding "combo" like things and the quests seemed pretty cool. My opinion as of now.

Beta's are NOTORIUS for pissing people off. Most people who play the beta's of MMORPGS don't end up getting the game because of all the bugs and things they're working out.

Personally, I have EQ2 pre-ordered, and can't wait till nov. 15th. I haven't played a MMORPG since the first 6 months AC2 came out (which was HORRIBLE because they rushed it out LOADED with problems). Heh, AC2 actually let you reset all of your characters (keep at the same level, but change ALL STATS) like 5 times in the first couple months because they kept screwing things up so bad.

World of Warcraft was actually FUN to play. I highly suggest that.

The Matrix Online...if they can fix a couple houndred problems before release, sure, otherwise stay away...no matter how cool a concept... :(

Guild Wars is interesting, but I have to believe no monthly fee is going to attract assfaces in droves.

[quote name='jmcc']Guild Wars is interesting, but I have to believe no monthly fee is going to attract assfaces in droves.[/quote]

Assfaces are simply a part of MMORPG gaming. There is no avoiding them, especially games with PvP. I'd rather an assface ruin an experience I already paid for then ruin an experience I am paying monthly for.

Everyone play the Guild Wars World Event Oct. 29-31!

Yeah, BLarR, what do you have against Blizzard?

I personally feel they're one of the best videogame companies out there LOL.

[quote name='BLarR']Well World of Warcraft is a waste of 50 bux if you buy that, hell even 5 if you can find it that cheap. EQ2 claims to have soloing, but I believe that about as much as I do as Jaguar's coming out with a new system. Guild Wars has the whole no fee gimmick, but it also has the terrible scar of having once have been in contact with Blizzard, (former employees or not, they still carry the company's terrible ways with them). Only thing I'm seeing nowadays that's halfway decent since they cancelled True Fantasy, would be the upcoming Anarchy Online Expansion, Alien Invasion, and then the Star Wars Galaxies expansion, Jump to Light Speed er something along those lines, who cares if jawas aren't a playable race, (are they, hmm, must find out). That's about for popular games that will actually have people on their serverws, unlike Mourning which looks awesome but no one will ever play.[/quote]

Wow, you may be the first Anti-Blizzard Fanboy I've ever met. Most people adore Blizzard (as do I).. and I'm really curious, what do you have against them? Blackstone, Lost Vikings, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo... what have they done so poorly in your book?

[quote name='Ledhed']I believe you mean BlackThorne Cornfed. :wink:

... Guild Wars.[/quote]

Ahh... good call, its been way too long since I played that game :)

WOW, my entire AD&D group is going there and our guild is allready set up, just waiting for the collector's edition.

[quote name='BLarR']Well World of Warcraft is a waste of 50 bux if you buy that, hell even 5 if you can find it that cheap. EQ2 claims to have soloing, but I believe that about as much as I do as Jaguar's coming out with a new system. Guild Wars has the whole no fee gimmick, but it also has the terrible scar of having once have been in contact with Blizzard, (former employees or not, they still carry the company's terrible ways with them). Only thing I'm seeing nowadays that's halfway decent since they cancelled True Fantasy, would be the upcoming Anarchy Online Expansion, Alien Invasion, and then the Star Wars Galaxies expansion, Jump to Light Speed er something along those lines, who cares if jawas aren't a playable race, (are they, hmm, must find out). That's about for popular games that will actually have people on their serverws, unlike Mourning which looks awesome but no one will ever play.[/quote]

Your point is invalid when you say Star Wars Galaxies is even decent(yes i know you said expansion, but expansions don't make a shitty game better). I've heard thats the worse MMORPG.

Your point is invalid when you say Star Wars Galaxies is even decent(yes i know you said expansion, but expansions don't make a shitty game better). I've heard thats the worse MMORPG

Some would say your point is even less valid because you've never even played the game.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Ledhed']I believe you mean BlackThorne Cornfed. :wink:

... Guild Wars.[/quote]

Ahh... good call, its been way too long since I played that game :)[/quote]

Damn you BlackThorne!!!! That game was the Devil. It was very fun but some of the jump were so hard you ended up starting the level over and over and over due to a bad jump.

[quote name='dpatel']is guild wars free only for a certain period? Or is it free all the time?[/quote]

Free all the time. You only have to purchase the game, there are no server fees. Play the demo this weekend.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='dpatel']is guild wars free only for a certain period? Or is it free all the time?[/quote]

Free all the time. You only have to purchase the game, there are no server fees. Play the demo this weekend.[/quote]

Man, you are really pushng that game today.

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='dpatel']is guild wars free only for a certain period? Or is it free all the time?[/quote]

Free all the time. You only have to purchase the game, there are no server fees. Play the demo this weekend.[/quote]

Man, you are really pushng that game today.[/quote]

He's just answering the question...and providing some truly relevant information.

Anyway, Guild Wars is the only MMORPG I'd be caught dead playing. I don't like MMORPGs at all, really, but Guild Wars is so different from most (and NOT just in terms of the payment), that it reminds me more of old MUDs. So yeah, Guild Wars, says I.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'][quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='dpatel']is guild wars free only for a certain period? Or is it free all the time?[/quote]

Man, you are really pushng that game today.[/quote]

He's just answering the question...and providing some truly relevant information.

Anyway, Guild Wars is the only MMORPG I'd be caught dead playing. I don't like MMORPGs at all, really, but Guild Wars is so different from most (and NOT just in terms of the payment), that it reminds me more of old MUDs. So yeah, Guild Wars, says I.[/quote]

He made some other posts as well. He also started a topic about the free beta test this weekend. To be honest though, he is making me want to check it out.

He made some other posts as well. He also started a topic about the free beta test this weekend. To be honest though, he is making me want to check it out.

Do so. :p The game is awesome, trust me (played the first preview event).

Ok I have been out of the MMORPG for a while, last one I played was Asheron's Call (the first one) and I quite that about 2 years ago. I now feel the itch to play one a bit more casually than AC. How is City of Heroes? can I play it on my Dell 2.4ghtz with 256 megs of ram and the standard videocard that comes on these?

Will city of heroes and city of villians work together? or are they going to be completely seperate?

Is this game any good?

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='BLarR']Well World of Warcraft is a waste of 50 bux if you buy that, hell even 5 if you can find it that cheap. EQ2 claims to have soloing, but I believe that about as much as I do as Jaguar's coming out with a new system. Guild Wars has the whole no fee gimmick, but it also has the terrible scar of having once have been in contact with Blizzard, (former employees or not, they still carry the company's terrible ways with them). Only thing I'm seeing nowadays that's halfway decent since they cancelled True Fantasy, would be the upcoming Anarchy Online Expansion, Alien Invasion, and then the Star Wars Galaxies expansion, Jump to Light Speed er something along those lines, who cares if jawas aren't a playable race, (are they, hmm, must find out). That's about for popular games that will actually have people on their serverws, unlike Mourning which looks awesome but no one will ever play.[/quote]

Wow, you may be the first Anti-Blizzard Fanboy I've ever met. Most people adore Blizzard (as do I).. and I'm really curious, what do you have against them? Blackstone, Lost Vikings, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo... what have they done so poorly in your book?[/quote]

I'm curious as well, most blizzard games are tested into the ground which would be a welcome change for MMORPG's which are notoriously released early and people are basically paying to play the last phase of beta, ie SWG.

I have played two MMORPG's, Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) and Star Wars Galaxies (SWG).

DAOC was lots of fun and I played it for a while, but I got really tired of leveling/camping, it was tedious and I eventually realized it wasn't that much fun. The real fun was in PVP (or RVR) where you are actually competing against other players, in small groups, or large armies. I have heard they have updated the battles with new seige stuff but I don't really have a desire to go back.

[quote name='dustyeff']
Your point is invalid when you say Star Wars Galaxies is even decent(yes i know you said expansion, but expansions don't make a shitty game better). I've heard thats the worse MMORPG

Some would say your point is even less valid because you've never even played the game.[/quote]

You are right but I can speak from someone who has played the game.
I hated every minute of SWG. I played around when it was released, buggy and unfinished, and boring as hell. There was little variation in combat at the time, many classes didn't even have all their "experience gains" (can't remember what the special powers were called) implemented yet. I guess what really made me realize the game was going in the complete wrong direction for me was the entertainer profession. I have no idea how someone could enjoy hitting /dance all day, but whatever floats someones boat. What I really had a problem with was them forcing combat players to go watch an entertainer to restore "combat fatigue." I hate forced socialization in these games. Socialization should be a natural part of the game mechanics not forced on you. I think SOE would have to pay me to play SWG again.

As for the new MMORPG's, I still haven't played them at all, but WOW looks the most interesting to me. Blizzard's reputation with games is pristine unlike SOE's (EQ2) reputation. WOW also does not have an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) so you can read everything you ever wanted to know about WOW and what people like/don't like from the beta boards. Most MMORPG's have NDA's, and it isn't til that is lifted right before release that you start hearing the real opinions on the game (SWG for example).

I really like the sound of WOW's questing system, it looks like they have really tried to do something different as opposed to the camping/grinding of other MMORPG's PVE like EQ/DAOC. I hope it turns out well because the grinding is what really killed DAOC for me. I never played the original EQ to be fair, but grinding and camping is the staple of the game from what I have read. Some people enjoy that, I don't.

Also something else to consider is EQ2 will be a PVE game primarily, I am not sure they will even have PVP, or its implementation will be very minor. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I like PVP competition mixed with some PVE, so EQ2 just isn't an option for me.

I think WOW is starting open beta soon, so you could try it out.

Damn I only have a ATI Radeon 7500... otherwise I would check out Guild Wars this weekend.

Oh well back to playing KOTOR on the Xbox...

That's the problem with PC gaming the hardware is so damn pricey... The video cards cost more than a console game system.

I really like the sound of WOW's questing system, it looks like they have really tried to do something different as opposed to the camping/grinding of other MMORPG's PVE like EQ/DAOC. I hope it turns out well because the grinding is what really killed DAOC for me. I never played the original EQ to be fair, but grinding and camping is the staple of the game from what I have read. Some people enjoy that, I don't.

Haha. If you hated DAOC grinding, EQ1 was about 10x worse. I did the 7 day trial of DAOC (and then paid for a month). I think I'm in about my 3rd week and my guy's level 40. It's soooooo easy to level, and the grind here is like... just, so easy compared to how EQ was. Then again, it helps that I log in and get a level for free every 3 days.

bread's done
Back