Glorious list of bonus/promotional DS styli! Magicians Quest: Magical Stylus @GS 5/5

Rocko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
The following is a mostly complete list of promotional styli for the Nintendo DS, from all over the globe. There's always something to add, though, so speak up if you know of something I don't!
  • Animal Crossing set of 7 rainbow colored styli (US Club Nintendo promo)
    nds_game_card_stylus_ac_1.jpg
    025b6ca2.jpg
  • Brain Age 2 set of 7 rainbow colored styli (MyNintendo promo[also from Japanese Club Nintendo])
    picture1yq9.png
  • Castlevania Portrait of Ruin extendable stylus (Preorder from GS, included in large Castlevania 20th anniversary box set)
    por_stylus_dsd.jpg
  • Club Nintendo set of 7 rainbow colored styli (US Club Nintendo promo)
    nds_game_card_stylus_black_1.jpg
    025b6ca2.jpg
  • Death Jr. DS scythe stylus (GS preorder)
    death-jr-ds-game-scythe-stylus.jpg
  • Disgaea DS Prinny stylus (Rosenqueen preorder)
    cd16_1.JPG
  • Disney Princess: Magic Jewels pink crown stylus
    0071272500495_500X500.jpg
  • E3 2004 light up stylus (Presumably obtained at E3 2004)
    e32004stylus.jpg
  • Enpitsu de Oku no Hosomichi pencil stylus (Japan)(No image available, rough image can be found here)
  • *NEW*Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars chopstick styli (Nintendo World Store midnight launch promo is the only confirmed way to obtain these right now)
    chopstickcopy.jpg
  • Guitar Hero On Tour blue pick stylus (Best Buy preorder)
    dsc08539ey7.jpg
  • Hannah Montana Music Jam guitar pick stylus
    0071272500493_500X500.jpg
  • Kirby Canvas Curse pink stylus (MyNintendo promo)
    1011669nu0.jpg
  • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass green stylus (Walmart preorder promo)
    0078033209672_500X500.jpg
  • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass quill stylus (MyNintendo promo)
    zeldaph_full.jpg
  • Lost in Blue 2 log stylus (GS preorder)
    B180265Ab.jpg
  • *NEW* Magician's Quest Mysterious Times mysteriously magical wizard's hat stylus (Gamestop preorder)
    MQMT_Stylus_bonusLG.jpg
  • Megaman Battle Network 5 light up sword (Unknown how originally obtained, Japan only)
    rockmanstylus.jpg
  • Mario Kart DS Stylus (E3 promo)
    22032625_f3fc166fdf.jpg
  • Mario pencil stylus (K-Zone Magazine promo [Australian kids magazine])
    mario.jpg
  • Moon stylus (Gamestop preorder)
    180878bonuslgqe9.jpg
  • Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword stylus (TGS '07, Gamestop preorder)
    16989-noscale-Tecmo%20party%20020.jpg
  • Nintendo demo unit backup stylus
    promo.jpg
  • Orcs & Elves wand stylus (pack-in with game)(Wal*Mart only as of now)
    orcs-elves-freebie-20071030041120550.jpg
  • Pac Pix/Pac n Roll pencil stylus (Japan Preorder bonus)
    pac-pix22.jpg
  • Phoenix Wright 1/2 finger stylus (PW1-Preorder from Capcom/PW2-Preorder from Capcom/GS)
    finger_stylus.jpg
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End skull and crossbones stylus (From Walmart, with game)
    IMG_2681.jpg
  • Pokemon Dialga stylus (Most retail stores preorder)
    pokemon_diamond_stylus.jpg
  • Pokemon Palkia stylus (Most retail stores preorder)
    3f09_1_b.JPG
  • Power Rangers: Super Legends red ranger stylus
    0071272500496_500X500.jpg
  • Sega Presents Touch Darts dart stylus (Europe/Australia only, presumably some sort of preorder bonus)
    prijsvraagtouchdarts1.jpg
  • Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood three pack (Gamestop preorder)
    180749_bonusLG.jpg
  • Spectrobes stylus (Give-away from various comic conventions, Disney Adventures magazine, and GS)
    spectrobescontesttouchpenwinners.jpg
  • Super Mario Bros. set of 7 rainbow colored styli (US Club Nintendo promo)
    nds_game_card_stylus_mario_1.jpg
    025b6ca2.jpg
  • Taiko no Tatsujin DS drum styli (Japan)(Included in both the first and second Taiko no Tatsujin DS games)
    1011670lu9.jpg
  • Tales of Innocence extendable stylus (Japan, preorder)
    tales_innocence_nds_cover_shop.jpg
That's all I have thus far. Any type of promotional styli, be it from Club Nintendo, a preorder, included in a game, or whatever, is appreciated. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and corrections!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rocko']
  • Phoenix Wright 2 finger stylus (Preorder from CAPCOM)
[/quote]

also the phantom hourglass quill stylus

Ah, thanks for that correction, that's the one I wasn't sure of.

I'll add that one now, and alphabetize it in a bit.

[quote name='Rocko']
  • Phoenix Wright 2 finger stylus (Preorder from Capcom)[/quote]
Not positive, but I think it was also offered with PW1.
Don't know if they count, but Club Nintendo Japan and My Nintendo US(With BA 2) offer[ed?] 7 rainbow colored styli.

There was a Phoenix Wright 1 stylus as well? I thought they only had one- the finger one.

I also forgot the 7 rainbow BA styli. I gotta sign up for mine when my BA2 comes in!

[quote name='Rocko']There was a Phoenix Wright 1 stylus as well? I thought they only had one- the finger one.

I also forgot the 7 rainbow BA styli. I gotta sign up for mine when my BA2 comes in![/quote]WHAT?! theres a promotion for BA2 stylus?!

The PW stylus was also available from GS. That list reminds me I will probably get gyped out of any preorder bonuses at GS moving forward... they didn't get any Death Jr styluses when I preordered that.

Okay, so... are there two Phoenix Wright styli or one? Was the finger stylus for both games? And was it given at Gamestop?

I don't really like PW, so I'm not sure about this. :p

I'm trying to add pictures to the OP, but I can't find a decent Kirby stylus picture. I'll have to take my own for that one. Probably the same with the Taiko DS styli. But we'll see.

Edit: Okay, have pictures for all but the Kirby, LoZ (I don't think a picture is out yet?), and Taiko DS styli. I'll include the first and last soon, as I'll just take pictures of my own in a few minutes.

Any others? I'm also including styli that were included with the purchase of a game in Japan, like the Kirby, PacPix and Taiko styli.

It isn't out yet. It's a MyNintendo preorder bonus item for registering Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I don't think an image of it has even been released yet, but it was reported a while back that it will be coming.

Uploading images of Kirby and Taiko styli right now.

And they're up. Huzzah.

[quote name='Rocko']It isn't out yet. It's a MyNintendo preorder bonus item for registering Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I don't think an image of it has even been released yet, but it was reported a while back that it will be coming.[/quote]

Awesome, I'll be sure to register it the moment I get back from buying it. :)

[quote name='xeno']isnt there one for spectrobes? and another pokemon one?[/quote]

The only Pokemon styli were Dialga and Palkia for Diamond/Pearl, unless there was one for Ranger or Mystery Dungeon.

[quote name='hootie']Awesome, I'll be sure to register it the moment I get back from buying it. :)[/quote]
Yep, I'll be doing the same when my FV order comes in.

I found this searching on eBay and remember seeing it here some other time, as someone else mentioned, the Spectrobes stylus: http://tinyurl.com/yujgdv

Woops completely overlooked the OP when updated, anyways, it was given out at GS/EB-- if that helps. I don't think it had to be a preorder, I think some stores were just giving them away to customers.

Added to the OP. Thanks.

Hootie, you are a brave man. I await your return. I hope the wounds are not fatal.

Oh jebus...that DS forum is a complete hell hole, a proverbial cesspool of failed human genes, if you will.

I posted the topic, now, we wait.

Went searching on Google and found some interesting ones, http://dsdev.bigredpimp.com/stylus_collection .
So some new ones are:
-Naruto Dagger Thing(Jap only, I think it might have shipped with the game)
-Mega Man Battle Network 5 Light up sword(Jap only)
-E3 2004 Light Up Stylus

Edit: I also remember reading about some dart shaped stylus I think, though can't find it right now.

so much confusion... the phoenix wright stylus was available with the first game in japan as part of the limited edition set, then available in the us with pre-orders directly from capcom's site. it was then released again with the second game as a pre-order bonus in japan, and in the us with pre-orders from either capcom or gs/eb. the actual stylus is the same for both games, as is the attached "objection" screen cleaner... the only change is the cardboard insert that comes in the packaging, the artwork matches the game.

and if you're including cardboard insert changes... the pac-pix stylus was released a second time as well, with pac'n roll.

the spectrobes stylus was actually available a few different ways... but it was first given out at comic-con 2006. i've heard that some gs/eb stores handed it out with pre-orders or purchases... i've heard that it was packed inside a bag with "disney adventures" magazine subscriptions... i think they were handed out at other comic conventions as well. last summer, they popped up on ebay with sellers listing all sorts of origins. seems like they were all over the place.

there's also a gray stylus that just has the nintendo ds logo on the side... it was given out to stores by reps before the ds first came out. and there's early in the ds lifespan, an australian video game magazine gave out a red stylus that has a sticker on the top with mario's head. and in addition to the rainbow ds lite stylus set that's being given out now, club nintendo in japan gave away a rainbow stylus set for the regular ds... same thing, just smaller. and the massive castlevania pre-order bonus at gs/eb came with a stylus. i can snap pics of these if you'd like.

Thanks, added that info to the OP. Since the PW stylus is available in the US, I'll only add its US availability.

Edit- added Castlevania stylus from the PoR preorder bonus set thingy.

Edit2- Looks like you just mentioned that. I found a picture of that, but if you could, I would add the gray stylus, red stylus, rainbow original DS set if you could provide pictures. And, no, I'm not counting cardboard insert changes. Thanks for your help. =)

Sadly, a bunch of different terms provide 0 results for that Pacman stylus. I really want that one. :[

Edit3- I found the dart stylus. It was some sort of bonus for Sega's Touch Darts. Not sure if it was a preorder bonus or what. I'll add it to the OP in a moment. Also, looking at IGN and GameFAQs it seems it's a UK/AU only game.

Edit4- Looks like a Japanese game titled "Enpitsu de Oku no Hosomichi" came with a pencil stylus, but the only image I can find is this page:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...somiti/read.html&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/05/24/the-narrow-way-to-the-dual-screens/

[quote name='banpeikun']the 7-styli rainbow set pictured is the club nintendo prize. the BA2 promotion will not include the cd-size case.[/quote]

No one is really sure what the MyNintendo set will be. They showed just the seven styli, but the description is something along the lines of a "gift box with 7 rainbow colored styli". I added both pictures just in case. I'll update it once a picture of the US set is out.

Unrelated, I just picked up a Spectrobes stylus for $2.50 on eBay. :p

It's a shame I can't find some of these on eBay. Namely the Pac Pix stylus, I really like that one. :[

Taken directly from the nintendo promo site,

"All kinds of players are enjoying the fun of playing video games thanks to Nintendo DS, and Nintendo wants to get to know our fans better through a special Brain Age 2 survey program. Through this program, you can sign up for My Nintendo, register your Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day game and fill out a quick survey to get a free DS Lite Stylus Gift Box with seven brightly colored DS Lite styluses. Offers will start shipping after October 1, 2007. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks in the U.S. and 6 to 10 weeks in Canada for your package to arrive."

I think that about clears it up, looks to be the same as the club nintendo one

Edit: also the stylus's pictured at the NoA site looks like they're for the ds tank, though i could be mistaken

[quote name='maigoyume']Taken directly from the nintendo promo site,

"All kinds of players are enjoying the fun of playing video games thanks to Nintendo DS, and Nintendo wants to get to know our fans better through a special Brain Age 2 survey program. Through this program, you can sign up for My Nintendo, register your Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day game and fill out a quick survey to get a free DS Lite Stylus Gift Box with seven brightly colored DS Lite styluses. Offers will start shipping after October 1, 2007. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks in the U.S. and 6 to 10 weeks in Canada for your package to arrive."

I think that about clears it up, looks to be the same as the club nintendo one

Edit: also the stylus's pictured at the NoA site looks like they're for the ds tank, though i could be mistaken[/quote]there's two different club nintendo promos. the nicer one comes in a cd-size case including slots for 9 ds games. (the left picture). the one with just the styli comes with only a case (the right picture).

[quote name='maigoyume']
Edit: also the stylus's pictured at the NoA site looks like they're for the ds tank, though i could be mistaken[/quote]

They do indeed, as do the ones from ClubNintendo pictured on the right in the OP, but the Nintendo description says "DS Lite Stylus Gift Box".

[quote name='Rocko']
It's a shame I can't find some of these on eBay. Namely the Pac Pix stylus, I really like that one. :[[/quote]

I just went to eBay to look as well, and I'm surprised that there are no current auctions for one nor any recently ended auctions. Back when I considered buying one, they were easy enough to find.

You might try posting a thread on the Trading forums, to the tune of "Want to Buy Your Pac-Pix Stylus!" You might be able to get someone to part with it for a few bucks.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just went to eBay to look as well, and I'm surprised that there are no current auctions for one nor any recently ended auctions. Back when I considered buying one, they were easy enough to find.

You might try posting a thread on the Trading forums, to the tune of "Want to Buy Your Pac-Pix Stylus!" You might be able to get someone to part with it for a few bucks.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw them all over eBay a while back as well. I might do that in the trading thread later. It's a really nifty stylus.

[quote name='banpeikun']there's two different club nintendo promos. the nicer one comes in a cd-size case including slots for 9 ds games. (the left picture). the one with just the styli comes with only a case (the right picture).[/quote]chances are we'll get the one in the right picture, but i wouldnt' mind the one with 9 ds game slots :)

no, the pac-man stylus was never packaged WITH the game inside the case or anything... it comes inside of a separate plastic bag with a cardboard backing marked as either pac-pix or pac'n roll. that cardboard backing is the only thing that's different... the actual stylus is the same.

it was officially only given out with pre-orders in japan, but there weren't many pre-orders, i suspect, so some people that ordered the game after it came out (even importers) ended up getting the stylus as well. in the US, some stores like GS/EB/GC were given the stylus as a promotional item, leaving employees to decide how to administer them... as pre-order bonuses, for free, or not at all.

hope that helps some.

oh yeah, i totally forgot about that... i snapped some really quickly for ya...

promo stylus
nintendo reps handed these to stores prior to the launch of the ds. the story as i've heard it... they were given to stores with demo kiosks, and intended to be used as "backups" in case the unit's stylus broke or got stolen (incidentally, i have a stylus from the demo unit, too, if you'd like a picture of it...) anyway, i don't think many stores got the idea, as they were handed out to customers, given away with purchases, trashed... back when the ds launched, they were all over ebay and crazy cheap... like, multiple (4, 8, 10) for only a couple bucks. now, they don't pop up nearly as often... though i don't think prices have gone up since it's a pretty generic looking stylus, and it doesn't fit in either unit's slot.

mario stylus
i never really hear anyone talk about this one... it came packed inside the bag with an issue of k-zone magazine, some kids magazine from australia. i forget the issue date, i'd have to find the magazine again... but it was like "nintendo month" or something. lots of pimping the ds, gba, gcn and it came with a ton of nintendo stuff... mostly ads for their games and codes, a few trading cards. the highlight was this stylus though. i read about it online and had a friend in australia pick it up for me. the mario sticker is only on the one side, nothing on the back... and the sides of the stylus have the k-zone logo and the nintendo logo.

the rainbow set that i have from japan is just like the one in the second photo listed as the "brain age 2" set. it comes in the little silver cardboard box and each stylus is original ds style (smaller). the "brain age 2" set will probably be like the japanese ones in the first photo, which are ds lite style, only not in the fancy case... i suspect we'll get something more in line with the little cardboard box. in any case, i'd probably separate those 2 photos since they really are 2 different sets.

Alright, thanks a lot!

I'm going to get rid of the nice set of styli for Brain Age 2 and just keep the picture of the cardboard box until the US ones ship out, in which case I'll add that photo if it's any different.

I'll add the two you posted to the OP sometime today, thanks again! I'll take whatever other pictures you'd happen to have when it isn't too much trouble. Is the demo stylus you're talking about the really thick one?

well i wouldn't get rid of either picture because BOTH actually exist, we just don't know what the "brain age" set will be specifically. so i would split them up and not label either as "brain age" - label them as what they are, japan's club nintendo exclusives.

the original ds rainbow stylus set is still being offered through club nintendo in a pretty basic cardboard box, as you have pictured. the ds lite rainbow stylus set is being offered through club nintendo in that nice foam case with slots for game cards... it comes in 3 styles: generic club nintendo, animal crossing, and mario.

and yeah, the demo unit stylus is just black and thicker than normal... nothing special. it has a hole in the end where the metal wire was attached. i'm not sure it would be considered a "bonus/promotional stylus" though. it's just a neat little something for those who are hardcore enough to want it & immoral enough to take it.

Bump. I just won a Death Jr. Scythe Stylus on eBay, and it reminded me that this thread needs some work when I get a chance. I have to seperate the BrainAge 2 stylus sets, add the pictures Doc Ramon posted, the Zelda Wal Mart promo, and there's going to be the US BA2 set posted soon.

bread's done
Back