What game franchises need to be retired instead of redone, again ?

bmulligan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Inspired by the thread:
What classic game series needs an update?

and a commercial for the new Sonic Heroes game. I saw this ad in Game Informer with the slogan: "It's time for some new Heroes", and I thought to myself, "if we need new heroes, then why remake Sonic again?"

I'm really tierd of franchises that are older than most gamers. Starting with Sonic the Hedgehog. After Sonic Adventure (the worst piece of crap ever to disgrace the Sonic name on the Dreamcast) they should have hung the little spike-haired bastard from his neck until he was dead.

I have others, but I'm curious if anyone would like to rant with me.

i agree, except the gba sonics are nice, but sonic isnt good in 3d, i also vote for tomb raider and mortal kombat

I would love to see Tomb Raider games bite the big one. I haven't been interested since part 2 and i think it is time to give it a rest.

Turok, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Bloody Roar. That is a decent enough list for starters :)

I think Final Fantasy series need to be retired and Square needs to create a new chapter of RPG domination with different title.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']GTA. Let it die already.[/quote]

no way, kick it back to 2d, piss off all the fanboys and make a great game ^^

*keeps dreaming*

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']GTA. Let it die already.[/quote]

no way, kick it back to 2d, piss off all the fanboys and make a great game ^^

*keeps dreaming*[/quote]

Used PS2: ~$140
Next GTA in 2D: ~$45
Fanboy reaction: Priceless.

Histrionics ensue!

:lol:

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Mega Man
King of Fighters
Resident Evil
Silent Hill

Seriously, just kill them off while they still have a shred of decency left.[/quote]

umm yeah...youre not allowed to post anymore...

yeah..

mortal kombat???? hell no....mortal kombat rules.....get rid of gay street fighter...theres like 10 thousand different versions of that

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Strider Turbulence']Mega Man
King of Fighters
Resident Evil
Silent Hill

Seriously, just kill them off while they still have a shred of decency left.[/quote]

yeah..[/quote]

Yeah, gotta concur with punqsux except for possibly Mega Man. Capcom needs to think of something new for that. Same formula since SNES (and NES MM's basically too).

King of Fighters is still going strong and 2003 is probly one of the best yet. Ugly as hell, yes, but still hella fun.

mario-01.jpg

Some games that have really annoyed me are the Mario Party's, all the Final Fantasy's, Bomberman's, and no offense but Midway games. They can't seem to find their niche in the game industry!!
Remind me of 3 good games that Midway has made for THIS GENERATION gaming consoles---And I will take back what I said!

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Strider Turbulence']Mega Man
King of Fighters
Resident Evil
Silent Hill

yeah..[/quote]

Quiet! You Tomb Raider fan, you.

[quote name='guyver2077']mortal kombat???? hell no....mortal kombat rules.....get rid of gay street fighter...theres like 10 thousand different versions of that[/quote]

See...Street Fighter games require skill. You've always been - and probably always will be able to - win at Mortal Kombat by button mashing.

Just because you're mad that someone doesn't like your fighter doesn't give you the right to bash another.

To all of the mods: I'd suggest closing this thread before it becomes a giant flame war.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']To all of the mods: I'd suggest closing this thread before it becomes a giant flame war.[/quote]

wow, im pretty happy youre not a mod

[quote name='guyver2077']mortal kombat???? hell no....mortal kombat rules.....get rid of gay street fighter...theres like 10 thousand different versions of that[/quote]

I've never heard of that game. Is Gay Street Fighter a new Capcom game, a metrosexual greco-roman simulator?

If so what would make that any different from any WWE game? *zing* That's another game they should retire, plus any game with 'extreme' in the title. Also I agree they should retire Sonic before they destroy his reputation any more.

[quote name='magilacudy']
I've never heard of that game. Is Gay Street Fighter a new Capcom game, a metrosexual greco-roman simulator?
[/quote]

ahahaha oh man, if only that lifeline contest could be this funny

Halo
Bond
Metroid, if they're going to be like prime from now on
DDR
Mortal Kombat
Madden
all sports simulation series
Mario platformers, if they're going to be like 64/sunshine
resident evil
GTA
Splinter Cell
Metal Gear
Sonic
Sole Kalubir
silent hill
All Extreme Sports
Tony Hawk

[quote name='DenisDFat']Halo
Bond
Metroid, if they're going to be like prime from now on
DDR
Mortal Kombat
Madden
all sports simulation series
Mario platformers, if they're going to be like 64/sunshine
resident evil
GTA
Splinter Cell
Metal Gear
Sonic
Sole Kalubir
silent hill
All Extreme Sports
Tony Hawk[/quote]

so you pretty much want gaming to back to its roots, completely start over. you know scrap all current ideas and go back to pong.

personally, id love a new gta in 2d. i was pissed when they took that perspective outta vice city. but one series that should be retired is definately tomb raider. i know its been said, but it needs to be reiterated. ARE YOU LISTENING EIDOS! KILL LARA ALREADY!

well now that thats outta my system, they should also probably kill twisted metal. black was good, but 3,4 and SM were sucky.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='guyver2077']mortal kombat???? hell no....mortal kombat rules.....get rid of gay street fighter...theres like 10 thousand different versions of that[/quote]

See...Street Fighter games require skill. You've always been - and probably always will be able to - win at Mortal Kombat by button mashing.

Just because you're mad that someone doesn't like your fighter doesn't give you the right to bash another.

To all of the mods: I'd suggest closing this thread before it becomes a giant flame war.[/quote]

lol to me its the other way around...street fighter is the annoying button masher...mortal kombat is just awesome..no offense but street fighter never changes...marvel vs capcom was pretty good though

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='guyver2077']mortal kombat???? hell no....mortal kombat rules.....get rid of gay street fighter...theres like 10 thousand different versions of that[/quote]

If so what would make that any different from any WWE game? *zing* That's another game they should retire, plus any game with 'extreme' in the title. Also I agree they should retire Sonic before they destroy his reputation any more.[/quote]

ooo god...cmon man wrestling games rule...if they stop making them i dont see myself buying consoles ever again and thats something big coming from me...luckily that will never happen or atleast not anytime soon

Can't believe I forgot tomb raider and wresters.

and if going back to their roots means going back to being about having fun, then yes, that's exactly what I want.

I love Street Fighter, but I agree they haven't really added any new elements in about 5 years. They have all these VS. games but that's only to trick players into thinking there's more than just a rehash of old fighters. I really think the fighting game genre is kind of stale in general though. Even back in the '90s Capcom was suing other companies for similar fighting games because there was so little originality. Though, I'm curious to see what they could put in MK6 that people are so excited about, besides online play.

for mei'd say the sims, (insert random word) Tycoon, medal of honors get worse and worse as they go on, final fantasy because the fanboys dont care how repetitive the series is they just keep on playing hypnotycally and i dont feel comfortable around people who think the final fantasie women are hot. its just creepy.

I can't believe no one's mentioned the Army Men series yet. I know 3DO went under but the Army Men series is just like the undead we need to cut off its head before it comes back to life again.

Most of the top ones have already been mentioned. I guess I would only say long-running series that have either always been crap (see #1 below) or have become crap over time (see #2 below).

#1 = Tomb Raider
#2 = Mega Man X
#3 = Final Fantasy
#4 = Gran Turismo
#5 = Mario Party (or at least change the idiotic luck-no-skill boardgame part of it to something fun)

I've never had a problem with sports games. I just don't understand why so many people shell out $50 every new season for a game with minimal improvements and features.

Most of my other franchise peevs have been mentioned above, like:

Resident evil
silent hill
Mario Party - how does anyone think these are fun, anyway?
Tomb Raider (of course)

and some new ones that I realize may incite you flaming fanboys out there:

Metal Gear

Yu-Gi-Oh/Dragonball Z - just don't get it, I guess. Card games and really bad fighters bother me.

James Bond - Bond was never a balls out shoot-em-up until the end of the movie. But just like the movie franchise, this one should be retired 'cause it's gotten WAY past old.

Spyro the Dragon
Crash Bandicoot
Need for Speed

And, I hate to say this because I'm a superhero nut, but ........

STOP MAKING SHITTY SUPERHERO GAMES.
There oughtta be a law forbidding another lame incarnation of Superman, Batman, Justice League, or anything else until someone can do the job right. Hulk was okay, for about an hour or so, Spiderman was better (but the Spiderman movie game was definately sub-par compared to Activisions previous game based on the comic)

I'm totally with a couple of suggestions that have been overlooked:

The Madden Series. I know you guys love Madden, but in my opinion they sucked all the fun out of football games (Where is my Tecmo Super Bowl and my Mutant League Football? ) and replaced them with strategy. I don't want to be an NFL head coach-in-waiting to be able to win a football game.

All Sports Games in general. They're all so realistic. Not that this is bad. But ONE realistic game is enough. This is like Metal Gear Solid being re-released every year and all they do is change the names of the characters. These games are the same every year and you sheep pay them to do it. No creativity, no fun. Just a bunch of "better graphics" and some weird bonus games.

The Sims - The newness has worn off. Now it's old

Metal Gear - Same games, different settings
Tomb Raider

Back to the sports games. What do you guys think about at least making a national law that in order to buy this generation's sports games, you must incinerate one copy of the previous generation's games? So, if you want Madden 2005, you're going to have to find a Madden 2004 and incinerate it. I do a lot of looking for "treasures" at resale shops, etc, and how ridiculous is it to find a pile of 50 games for a system, only to look through them and they're all Madden, NBA 2k3, NHL Hockey, or NCAA this or that? I hate sports games. Die SPORTS GAMES! DIE!!!!

destroying old circulation sports games sounds kinda extreme, but I'm sure you are just being facetious.

I wouldn't ever want to deprive someone of their videogame fun no matter what the game is. Although it pains me to mention it, It's games like Madden that make a ton of money that allow studios to produce the less popular, often more innovative games.

Im not a sports fan, but sports games, and x sports gamse, need the obviously updates and stuff. Each year when X player goes to a new team, or X player signs up, players want those updates, the new stats for each character, you could do it with one game and have it be updated online, but not everyone will want that or have access, booster disc woul be ok too, but EA and Sony are banking on their GT and Madden series and altough its looking old to us. That money in their pocket doesnt feel old.

SF/capcom VS games did really well recently Capcom VS Snk, Marvel Vs Capcom 2. Which are really old games. Its like saying Zelda should retire, but WindWaker is going ot be a classic, imo its not good to stop there.

Playdia did do Snk vs Capcom, and I enjoy the game, but its not true Capcom product.

Redoing a series is great if it is greatly done :)

Think of if vietiful joe was instead a megaman game, if it actually had megaman as the character and megaman style enimes. It imo would be a good addition to the series.

[quote name='chosen1s']Back to the sports games. What do you guys think about at least making a national law that in order to buy this generation's sports games, you must incinerate one copy of the previous generation's games? So, if you want Madden 2005, you're going to have to find a Madden 2004 and incinerate it. I do a lot of looking for "treasures" at resale shops, etc, and how ridiculous is it to find a pile of 50 games for a system, only to look through them and they're all Madden, NBA 2k3, NHL Hockey, or NCAA this or that? I hate sports games. Die SPORTS GAMES! DIE!!!![/quote]

You would've figured though, with all current systems being online capable, they'd make one sports game and just update it with downloadable rosters...oh wait...2+2=LOGIC! :lol:

As for me, I've never cared for the sports "simulation" games. I've always been more of a Blitz-kid. I made a rare exception for NFL2K and Virtua Tennis, but those were just outstanding games for Dreamcast, regardless of your sports affinity.

Though...with my attention span for sports games, Sports Jam (DC) and Jimmy's sports games from Wario Ware (GBA) are probably the only sports games I'll ever truly need! :lol:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
Though...with my attention span for sports games, Sports Jam (DC) and Jimmy's sports games from Wario Ware (GBA) are probably the only sports games I'll ever truly need! :lol:[/quote]

I haven't tried Sports Jam, but that one game in Wario where you're playing catch with some kid and if you miss the ball breaks the window still cracks me up.

Sports Jam is pretty cool...it's got 12 arcade style mini games: baskeball timed free throw shooting, baseball home run derby, football touchdown derby, soccer long shoot, tennis volley, golf hole in one, hockey puck rally, soccer corner kick, bike race sprinting, golf putting, football kicking, and hockey puck save.*

* Yes, I cheated and looked in the manual.

I belive you guys want to eliminate sports and wrestling games. I mean that's like saying "they need to stop making Race car games becuase I've already driven a car" Those games are never going away.

[quote name='KingDox']I belive you guys want to eliminate sports and wrestling games. I mean that's like saying "they need to stop making Race car games becuase I've already driven a car" Those games are never going away.[/quote]

Nah, I just want to eliminate wrestling games cuz I don't particularly like them. Besides the thread is called 'what would games would you want retired', not 'imagine which games are theoretically possible to be retired if you were the God of games and not some cheapass living at home with your parents'.

:)

[quote name='magilacudy']Besides the thread is called 'what would games would you want retired', not 'imagine which games are theoretically possible to be retired if you were the God of games and not some cheapass living at home with your parents'. [/quote]

BWAAAAAHAHAHA!

Ahem. Nice.

A new Tomb Raider is in the works, um, yeah, can't wait.

Doom is a series that should have stopped long ago, most thought it did, but will have the next release out soon, which will suck ass.

GTA can switch to Atari 2600 graphics and still sell millions as long as you can beat an old lady with a poorly rendered club-like object. Please give it a rest.

Besides Tomb Raider, how about Myst. I can't believe they released another one of those this past year. Also, Mega Man X's are done, though I do find the Zero's still worth playing.

bread's done
Back