Any unique game stores in the Champaign-Urbana, IL area?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I wasn't sure where to put this but figured it would be best here.

I'm new to the area since transferring to Illinois from Purdue so I don't know much about this place yet. I've found a GameCrazy and 2 GameStops but that's it.

Are there any unique stores like one of a kind, mom and pop, less common national retailers like Frys or Fye around the area that carry games, preferably used older games?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I live near C-U. There used to be a shop near Buffalo Wild Wings and Ryans and there also used to be a place called Game Xchange across the street from BB but both have left. I think there's still a Game XChange in central IL somewhere. With GC clearing out older games, there aren't any more stores selling older games that I'm aware of. On a positive note, I noticed a few weeks ago that Tilt has moved and got some new games.

Welcome to the area, I hope you like it. I should be joining you at the U of I next year if everything goes as planned. What is your major?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I live near C-U. There used to be a shop near Buffalo Wild Wings and Ryans and there also used to be a place called Game Xchange across the street from BB but both have left. I think there's still a Game XChange in central IL somewhere. With GC clearing out older games, there aren't any more stores selling older games that I'm aware of. On a positive note, I noticed a few weeks ago that Tilt has moved and got some new games.

Welcome to the area, I hope you like it. I should be joining you at the U of I next year if everything goes as planned. What is your major?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't notice your response... figured it was a dead thread.:lol:

I'm in Econ now, sorta did it as a temp major but I think I'm stuck with it now. Illinois is way different from my last school.

Sad to hear about the stores going but maybe I'll find out where that GX is and see if it's on my way to/from home.

I wanna say the other store is in Springfield, but I'm not sure about that.

In other news, I got accepted to the U of I so I'll be joining you next year (not in economics, though). :bouncy:

Edit: I noticed your quote thing under your name. Hooray!

There is a store called Exile. They sell mostly used DVDs, CDs and that type of thing. But they do carry a used game section and sell some new games. The have a lot of Game Boy games, SNES, NES games, and I even saw an old Atari still in a box. The prices are a bit high but they do have some very unique things

The store is on 1 E. Main Street in downtown Champaign. Sort of by Neil and Main.

[quote name='dayento2']There is a store called Exile. They sell mostly used DVDs, CDs and that type of thing. But they do carry a used game section and sell some new games. The have a lot of Game Boy games, SNES, NES games, and I even saw an old Atari still in a box. The prices are a bit high but they do have some very unique things

The store is on 1 E. Main Street in downtown Champaign. Sort of by Neil and Main.[/quote] Oh yeah, I forgot about that place. Probably because the one time I went there I couldn't believe how much they were charging.

Yeah we still have Game Xchange here in Springfield Il. Of course they have new management now so they don't have a surplus of awesome import games anymore but hey at least I can still pick up a SMS or 32X if the mood calls to me.;)

[quote name='FreshTekRadio']Yeah we still have Game Xchange here in Springfield Il. Of course they have new management now so they don't have a surplus of awesome import games anymore but hey at least I can still pick up a SMS or 32X if the mood calls to me.;)[/QUOTE]

I looked up Game Xchange and found their website and they have another location in Bloomignton IL, which is on my way to/from home. I'll have to stop by some time.

But they also had one at my last school. I never knew about it until now. Dammit... I was there two years and just found out about it now.:p

I think I'll avoid Exile- we have an overpriced game store here at home so I don't need to go to another one of those.

I go to school in Normal, so I have been to that particular Game-X-Change.

They have quite a lot of stuff, but usually aren't very busy. You can sometimes find good deals (though I haven't been in there in quite a while).

[quote name='Rig']I go to school in Normal, so I have been to that particular Game-X-Change.

They have quite a lot of stuff, but usually aren't very busy. You can sometimes find good deals (though I haven't been in there in quite a while).[/QUOTE]

Good to hear about the selection... hopefully they have a large stock of older games- like PS1/N64 and before.

The comic shop in downtown Normal used to carry used games as well, not sure if they still do, its been a few years since i was back there.

There is a game store that does new/used and vintage in Paxton Il just 20 min north of champaign. Its called Game On. big selection of used dvd as well

Good selection. nice people.

bread's done
Back