Manhunt 2: leaked uncut beta goodness

This information has been confirmed by www.projectmanhunt.com and the Gamefaq's boards people report obtaining the files. I would guess it has been taken down by now however. People over there report playing it, I didn't obtain it because I don't know how to download from newsgroups, and I don't want to spend money to modify the console to play the beta game. Posts on gamefaqs reported that the leaked game is in PAL format (Europe.)

I am looking forward to buying the retail game, I am hopeful that not too much was cut from the released version.

I can confirm this. But, I, uh, haven't actually played it or anything. Right. That's the story I'm sticking to. I definitely have not played the leaked, AO-rated version of Manhunt 2.

This is actually really, really bad news. This leak is going to be the ugliest thing to happen to gaming since Hot Coffee. Jack Thompson will be claiming that they leaked it on purpose by Monday morning, I guarantee it.

Gee, I didn't see this 'leak' coming from a mile away. Nooooooo....this could never happen in a million years.

Oh and BTW, the only reference to a video of the 'leaked' beta or PAL version of the AO version on YouTube was 'taken down due to a copyright claim by Take 2'. So, there went any chance of watching a video of the 'banned' version.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Gee, I didn't see this 'leak' coming from a mile away. Nooooooo....this could never happen in a million years.[/quote]
I don't think that Rockstar planted this one, if that's what you're thinking. Including hidden AO content in a game is one thing, but releasing the full game on the internet, specifically, the version that everyone seems to want, it going to severely, severely cut into sales, of the PS2 version anyways. More than normal piracy, I'd imagine, because again, this is the "uncut" version everyone seems to want to play. That's super-suicidal.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh and BTW, the only reference to a video of the 'leaked' beta or PAL version of the AO version on YouTube was 'taken down due to a copyright claim by Take 2'. So, there went any chance of watching a video of the 'banned' version.[/QUOTE]
Uh, there are other video sources aside from youtube.

Or, ahem, you could just play the game yourself, ahem. :O

Could someone PM me a link of how to play burned games on a ps2? I have absolutely no intention of doing it (i'd be afraid of damaging my system) i've just been curious for a while

If this was gonna be huge it already would have exploded. Jack Thompson cant do anything against manhunt 2.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't think that Rockstar planted this one, if that's what you're thinking. Including hidden AO content in a game is one thing, but releasing the full game on the internet, specifically, the version that everyone seems to want, it going to severely, severely cut into sales, of the PS2 version anyways. More than normal piracy, I'd imagine, because again, this is the "uncut" version everyone seems to want to play. That's super-suicidal.

Uh, there are other video sources aside from youtube.

Or, ahem, you could just play the game yourself, ahem. :O[/quote]

I've only tried a DL from a torrent site for ONE game:Thrill Kill

And, it was too much of a PITA for my liking. So, unless someone I know comes up to me and says 'I have Manhunt 2 on a DVD-R, wanna try it on my modded PS2?', I'm gonna pass on this one.

I just wish that there were still a way to get the uncut version released in a LEGAL format.

I'm not gonna deny it, i've been playing it. Unfortunately (i'm hoping it being due it being a beta) the game is quite bad. The graphics look like GTA for PSP, and my biggest complaint so far is that there is no way to change the camera angle (its always over the shoulder). I'll give it a bit more time. I may end up getting the Wii & PSP versions when they come out.

[quote name='mykevermin']I just wish torrents downloaded faster for me. I can't get shit to connect, man.[/quote]

you gotta get in one of them private torrent sites. 700 mbps sweetness most the time.

[quote name='phear3d']700 mbps sweetness most the time.[/QUOTE]
Uh...700 mbps (megabits per second)? That's 87.5 megabytes per second.

I think you meant 700 kbps.

Something tells me Manhunt 2 is officially off my list, since according to MANY sources, now even the regular weapon kills are blurred and otherwise obscured.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

I mean, ok, I can kinda understand taking out the pliers ballsack and spine ripper one because that would just make me cringe every time I tried to do it. But, censoring the rest of what remains? I may rent this or grab it on clearance for $5 or so, but once it releases and people review it and get actual footage of the actual game online, I may change my mind.

I loved the first one and if you have a headset, try playing while wearing that, it makes the game so much more immersive. It's like having Starkweather chirping right in your ear instead of over your tv speakers.

It's off my list because it probably sucks. I mean, the first one was pretty clever but only because I found it for... I think $5 somewhere for the Xbox. Once this one drops under 10 bucks, I'll give it a shot on PS2.

[quote name='Halo05']It's off my list because it probably sucks.[/QUOTE]
It does suck. They seriously haven't changed the gameplay at all from the first one, and it's four years later now.

Only for diehard fans of the first.

I was interested, and yes mostly because of the controversy surrounding it but after watching a full hour of gameplay of the uncut version... I'll pass.

It looks incredibly dull. If Manhunt 2 sells at all, it's because of all the "bad press" its been getting.

[quote name='yukine']I was interested, and yes mostly because of the controversy surrounding it but after watching a full hour of gameplay of the uncut version... I'll pass.

It looks incredibly dull. If Manhunt 2 sells at all, it's because of all the "bad press" its been getting.[/QUOTE]

Which makes you wonder if Rockstar didn't go all out to purposely get the AO rating in the first place. If Manhunt was released as planned, and had simply gotten the M rating, Game mags probably would have taken a collective dump on it, and sale would have been mediocre at best.

Yikes. A lot of Manhunt hate here...

I guess I'm the only one that's really excited for this game. Did everyone hate the first one this much too? Because I thought it was fantastic...

(And just for the record, this was a day one purchase for me even before all the controversy hit).

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Did everyone hate the first one this much too?[/QUOTE]
I played the first one as well, and really didn't think was anything above average, at best. And at worst, it was a very generic action game with a stretched-too-thin gimmick that got old fast (I got so sick of seeing the same execution animations over and over again).

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Yikes. A lot of Manhunt hate here...

I guess I'm the only one that's really excited for this game. Did everyone hate the first one this much too? Because I thought it was fantastic...

(And just for the record, this was a day one purchase for me even before all the controversy hit).[/QUOTE]

I really liked the first one (I played it on the PC version.) I do feel like I'm not getting the full value due to the edits rockstar has had to do. (I did download the beta incase rockstar used it as an excuse to cancel the game, but my console isn't modded, and I want to give rockstar my money, not the guys who make modchips.)

From additional reading at manhunt uncut web site, It sounds like only the level 3 kills are obscured, they use some kind of a psychodelic effect with colors and shifting video. That might actually work somewhat with the plot of someone in an insane asylum. They also took out the kill where you rip someone's testicles out with plyers, and one where you rip someone's spine out of their body. A rumor is that the got rid of an S&M level also, that sucks if they did, my understanding is that no actual nudity was in it.

This will probably be either the last or next to last game I buy for the ps2, so hopefully it will be good even with the edits that they had to make.

[quote name='richdmoore']A rumor is that the got rid of an S&M level also, that sucks if they did, my understanding is that no actual nudity was in it.[/quote]
Don't worry, The S&M club wasn't censored at all. I'm so glad they didn't ruin that part of the game; it's the part I've been looking forward to the most ;)

[quote name='IGN']Eventually, Danny and Leo make their way through the ground-level S&M club complete with naked pole-dancers and a variety of total freaks to an underground section where the real debauchery unfolds. In locked rooms that blanked a long corridor, psychopaths mutilate and murder victims in a number of disgusting fashions. In one cut-scene, a masked killer uses a power saw to slice into a man's bulging belly, as the victim lies helplessly strapped to a table. In another, a hunter prepares to electrocute a separate prisoner. Manhunt 2's new M rating does not appear to have any bearing on these sequences, as they look and play exactly as they did when we first saw them so many months ago.[/quote]

With some of the stuff I've read about this game, and because of pictures like the one below, I really think the Rockstar team has been watching a lot of Hostel lately...

manhunt-2-20070604105226132.jpg

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Yikes. A lot of Manhunt hate here...

(And just for the record, this was a day one purchase for me even before all the controversy hit).[/QUOTE]

The first one was okay. For the price I paid (5-10 bucks), it was worth it. I didn't get around to finishing it but showing visitors the more gruesome stealth kills was good for some groans and cheap thrills.

However, at this point, this game isn't even out yet and I'm sick of hearing about it. My hatred for the game isn't really hatred, just annoyance. I wish something bigger would happen to the industry just to let the Manhunt 2 BS die down.

[quote name='Halo05'] I wish something bigger would happen to the industry just to let the Manhunt 2 BS die down.[/quote]

Halo 2 next week? Rumble (finally) on ps3? That should do it for a while.

I think the disdain for the game is because it's more of the same. If that's based on a solid franchise (e.g., Halo, GTA), that's fine. But "more of the same" from a mediocre game that uses a gimmick (gore) to sell? Not when the originator is close to 4 years old.

Old wine in new bottles, IOW. I'll be amazed if this game gets ratings over 7.0 from any major publication/source.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've only tried a DL from a torrent site for ONE game:Thrill Kill

And, it was too much of a PITA for my liking. So, unless someone I know comes up to me and says 'I have Manhunt 2 on a DVD-R, wanna try it on my modded PS2?', I'm gonna pass on this one.

I just wish that there were still a way to get the uncut version released in a LEGAL format.[/quote]

You can get it from me if you want. I know everything about The AO Beta and the normal crappy M rated retail version. Completed the Beta 20 times+ and the M rated version over 5. If you wanna see full coverage of me playing the levels, tell me where I can upload them without there being a risk of them being taken down. Whatever you want to know, PM me.

[quote name='the undertaker']You can get it from me if you want. I know everything about The AO Beta and the normal crappy M rated retail version. Completed the Beta 20 times+ and the M rated version over 5. If you wanna see full coverage of me playing the levels, tell me where I can upload them without there being a risk of them being taken down. Whatever you want to know, PM me.[/QUOTE]

Pirate grave digger! 10 month bump!

No seriously though, you shouldn't be offering pirated software here on CAG.

[quote name='chakan']I think he offered videos of him playing it, not the actual software.[/QUOTE]
He was responding to a post talking about torrents and "Manhunt 2 on a DVD-R."

Sounds like discussing distributing pirated software to me.

bread's done
Back