Game magazine subscriptions in canada

EggViper

CAGiversary!
Been trying to subscribe to a gaming magazine but haven't found any yet with decent subscription rates to Canada. It seems to double from the US price they list.

Anyone know of any good mags with decent rates up here?

Nintendo Power is cheapest. Register 3 Nintendo products. The first three issues are free. Then it's $15 a year.

You can also sign up for one of the free game magazines in the Free Magazines thread using a US address (like a hotel). Then, once you show up in their system c hange your address to your real one. I did that for EGM and get that now. There are like 3 or 4 EGM subscriptions in that thread. Sign up for them using the same US address and see if it stacks for 4 years. Then you're good to go for a while =)

[quote name='Firestorm']Nintendo Power is cheapest. Register 3 Nintendo products. The first three issues are free. Then it's $15 a year.[/quote]
I believe that offer ended a few weeks ago?

I've been a subscriber to OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) for over 5 years now. It's usually $34.99 for the year, but if you buy it in stores it's over $10 a copy, so it's a great deal to be a subscriber. This is the one that includes a CD each mag, with demos etc. I love it, but it's xbox only.

I don't subscribe to any. Gametrailers.com provides more than most magazines ever will while covering every platform available.

GT has video reviews, trailers, previews and up to date content.

And best of all. It's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrelusive']I believe that offer ended a few weeks ago?[/quote]

Darn =/ I hear NP is getting outsourced soon so I guess Nintendo stopped the offer. Games don't even come with the "Subscribe to Nintendo Power" thing anymore. It'll probably become just as expensive as EGM and the like.

Crap looks like I'm a month late for that 3 free / $15 deal on Npower. They have a new one now where you get a little wiimote flashlight/keychain thing (looks pretty cool) but their asking $28 for the year.

Firestorm, that sounds like a good idea. I actually just read about that scheme (scam?) on another forum so i'll definetly look into trying that out.

[quote name='EggViper']Crap looks like I'm a month late for that 3 free / $15 deal on Npower. They have a new one now where you get a little wiimote flashlight/keychain thing (looks pretty cool) but their asking $28 for the year.[/quote]
That's their normal price, it always $28 +free gift of your choice. They should have a list of available gifts somewhere. It's usually best to go for their t-shirts, you can resell some of the better ones (ie: Zelda or Final Fantasy ones) for more than $30 on eBay.

Most deals, even if they are alot more than the US, still have quite a lot of savings. It costs like $42 CDN for a Year of WIRED MAGAZINE (best Technology magazine evar) and it costs over $80.00 with crappy tax for a year in-store.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Hey Firestorm,

How do I change my location for EGM? I don't want it to ship out to Beverly Hills ;)[/quote]

It takes a while for your info to show up in their system =/ Check in like a month? At least the people there will appreciate the first issue maybe >_>;

So if i sign up through more than one of those links for the same mag, will i be getting multiple copies of the same issues or will it tack on another year to the subscription?

[quote name='EggViper']So if i sign up through more than one of those links for the same mag, will i be getting multiple copies of the same issues or will it tack on another year to the subscription?[/quote]

It should stack. YMMV on them actually working though.

Guys,

You can subscribe to EDGE magazine for the very reasonable price of $18.75 every quarter.

So, thats around $75 a year (which I know isnt particularly cheap) for possibly the only worthwhile videogame magazine commercially available.

To put this into perspective - EDGE sells for $16.99 in Chapters - for a single issue - add tax to that, and you're nearing $20 for a single magazine.

With this 'offer' you're saving a lot of money off the Canadian retail price, and getting it early - It's possibly the best money saving deal available - Its $6.25 an issue.

https://www.imsnews.com/ims_subscribe.php?pubid=282

[quote name='mkrowe']I've been a subscriber to OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) for over 5 years now. It's usually $34.99 for the year, but if you buy it in stores it's over $10 a copy, so it's a great deal to be a subscriber. This is the one that includes a CD each mag, with demos etc. I love it, but it's xbox only.[/quote]

I used to love oxm but ever since some of the guys started leaving the mag(forgot his name) but since then it hasn't been that great. and with the 360 launch demos can be gotten on marketplace most of the time. i like the free gamer pics but there isn't enough stuff in the mag like the good old days. it might change after this year since this gen will kick off faster in terms of new content next year. I liked nintendo power but the wii doesn't interest me as much as the gamecube did.

[quote name='hilld']Guys,

You can subscribe to EDGE magazine for the very reasonable price of $18.75 every quarter.

So, thats around $75 a year (which I know isnt particularly cheap) for possibly the only worthwhile videogame magazine commercially available.

To put this into perspective - EDGE sells for $16.99 in Chapters - for a single issue - add tax to that, and you're nearing $20 for a single magazine.

With this 'offer' you're saving a lot of money off the Canadian retail price, and getting it early - It's possibly the best money saving deal available - Its $6.25 an issue.

https://www.imsnews.com/ims_subscribe.php?pubid=282[/quote]

It's a good percentage off and all, but at that price, I'm more likely to just buy Wired off the news stands.

[quote name='Doytch']It's a good percentage off and all, but at that price, I'm more likely to just buy Wired off the news stands.[/quote]

Wired is absolutley nothing like EDGE, though...so I dont get your reasoning.

You want a good videogame magazine, you buy EDGE.

If you want a general monthly geek magazine, you buy Wired.

Our studio gets EDGE. It really is a good game magazine. They actually have interviews, and articles that aren't available online. Their articles are pretty detailed. Most magazines are just one running advertisement, and I don't necessarily find that with EDGE. EDGE also tends to be much more worldly than other magazines.

~S

[quote name='Lockescythe']I got the zelda guidebook and soundtrack. Mainly cause I wanted the soundtrack.[/quote]thats exactly what i did too :applause: made it just about even for me in terms of price

bread's done
Back