Tony Hawk's Proving Ground

AIRCOOL

CAGiversary!

Features

In Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground, you create your own story. This authentic skating experience gives you the freedom to truly define your character, story, and style based on the choices you make, the path you select, and the styles of skating you choose. Every skater has their own story. Step onto the Proving Ground, and create yours.

• Unique skills: Build your own unique skill set from various skating styles.
  • New tricks: Master new skills like Bowl Carving, Nail the Grab and Manual, Skate Checking, and more.
  • Multiplayer action: Transition seamlessly from single player to online multiplayer.
  • Epic videos: Create your own epic skate videos with a full-featured video editor.
  • Interactive environments: Modify the world into your own personal skatepark.
Skates gonna kicks this games Butt!!, Still wanna try it though.

LinkinPrime edit:
We knew it was coming this month, but the Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground demo that we all want to play is coming out today, as in Monday 10th September.
It actually couldn’t come on a worse day, as it’s the same day that Microsoft are working on Xbox Live, so our downloads may get interrupted depending on what time the content goes up.
http://www.xboxic.com/news/3636

Hmm, I guess this might be good. I have really stopped paying attention to TH games now, they just seem dated, and just don't interest me anymore. What ever happened to that VP Party Animals demo? I know it isn't the same developer or publisher, but I really wish it would come....

I can't even play THPS anymore. I picked up Underground a few days about and I kept pressing A instead of holding it. Felt so weird. THen the revert + manual was hard because I had been playing P8 too much.

I still enjoy the series. It's not realistic by any means but the difficulty can get out of hand after the first casual play-through. And I enjoy the challenge.

skate. was radically different. While cool in it's own right, I think I prefer the THPS arcade feel.

Yah theres no demo up yet. Being the THPS fanboy that I am I will pick this up eventually, but probably not until next summer.

I'm unimpressed with skate, it's missing way to much in terms of actual moves, and gameplay features. That said, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground looks to be even worse, it litterally seems like Project 8 1/2. Horrible showing be Neversoft IMO. They need to realize you can't make a game realistic, and cartoonish at the same time it doesn't work. Also, it seems all the annoying, make no sense, repetitive goals will still be there, and with way too much focus on boring features like nail the trick, nail the flip, nail the grab, be hardcore, be a rigger.... yawn. Also, the game is ugly, does every level have to be void of color to make the game feel "mature?"

I'm always going to be a huge fan of the Tony Hawk series, 1, 2, 4, THUG, and American Wasteland are some of my favorite games. Project 8 was total garbage, and Proving Ground looks to be even worse. So for now Skate is the only option if you want a fresh skating game. I'll wait until it hits $30, or Skate 2 comes out with more features. As for Tony Hawk games... they seriously need to start over from the ground up. Build better levels, make the game look and play good. Cut out the annoying goals, get a good storyline in there, have a decent Create-A-Skater, and decided whether they want to make an arcade game, an adventure game, or a sim skateboard game and then focus on getting that down right.

Proving Ground might have just killed the Tony Hawk series for me personally. It felt like I was playing Project 8, but worse. I kept looking at it and going, "damn, this game looks really bland". In usual Tony Hawk fashion, I can string together a 100,000 point combo without trying. I'm definitely passing on this one.

The offset camera was driving me nuts as well.

[quote name='mtxbass1']The offset camera was driving me nuts as well.[/QUOTE]

You could change it to "classic" in the options menu, even in default settings it was still a better camera than Skate.

The Tony Hawk games got better with every game through Underground, but every game after that has sucked, it looks like Proving Ground will suck as well.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You could change it to "classic" in the options menu, even in default settings it was still a better camera than Skate.

The Tony Hawk games got better with every game through Underground, but every game after that has sucked, it looks like Proving Ground will suck as well.[/quote]

Hmm, I did not know that. I'll have to try it out.

Im wayyyyy too good at Tony Hawk to pass it up. I won the local competition here for THPS4 when I was like 10. But i will pass it until it reaches max 40 bucks. Thats how dissapointing it is...

WOW, that was bad. I played the demo tried to do the career and just had to stop. Really canned animations, i feel like its thps2 ported like the skaters don't really land then glide down.

Sorry Tony, you started us out but looks like the flame is being passed.

Yeah the camera thing I noticed in the menus and changed. Although now it looked farther away from the skater than previous TH titles. My major complaint is that grinding rails looks ultra unrealistic now because it's extra clingy. I have Project 8 and it is definitely not like this in 8.

Personally though, my favorite Tony Hawk ever is THUG1. Simply the best (controls, physics, storyline, fun).

[quote name='Danil ACE']Personally though, my favorite Tony Hawk ever is THUG1. Simply the best (controls, physics, storyline, fun).[/QUOTE]
Agreed. This one was weird, I hate the balance meter and it lacks color.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Yeah the camera thing I noticed in the menus and changed. Although now it looked farther away from the skater than previous TH titles. My major complaint is that grinding rails looks ultra unrealistic now because it's extra clingy. I have Project 8 and it is definitely not like this in 8.

Personally though, my favorite Tony Hawk ever is THUG1. Simply the best (controls, physics, storyline, fun).[/QUOTE]

Yah thug was the only th game i actually finished

Anyone buy this? I feel like the camera is too close if they makes sense

I wish they could pull it back like a foot or so

Achievements seem pretty hard, but not really liking it

:(

It didnt get the best reviews, like 6.5/10. Im reading that the rigger editing tool is totally broken, and thats like 1/3 of the game. Its also supposedly full of glitches and a few missions are almost uncompletable. All things that are really inexcusable for a franchise thats been around for soo long.

Ive said this before, I'll say it again, the Tony Hawk people need to stop pushing out a new game every 10 months and take some time to really reinvent and reinvigorate the series.

[quote name='rsigley']Anyone buy this? I feel like the camera is too close if they makes sense

I wish they could pull it back like a foot or so

Achievements seem pretty hard, but not really liking it

:([/quote]

i found a lot of glitches with manualing + aggro push

its this new thing where you're manual and you can push off a wall or a car to get extra speed, except a lot of times when your'e pushing off the car you can't control it and you just get stuck in mid air doing unlimited tricks

i'm guessing the rigging complaints come from how you can put a half pipe like directly over a car accidently, and you can't go up the halfpipe cause its inside the car

haven't done those missions yet except for the intro one

I just rented this game and it sucks. Oh my this is by far the worse. I have skate and it makes tony look and feel like fuck ing crap.

I've played the demo. After playing this every year since THPS, sad to say, it's over.

Skate has really stepped up and kicked Tony's ass. Way more realistic, and controls that make you feel like you are involved.

Poor Tony Hawk. He will now have to lay down on his bed made of money and cry into his pillow made of endangered bald eagle feathers.

[quote name='Puffa469']Ive said this before, I'll say it again, the Tony Hawk people need to stop pushing out a new game every 10 months and take some time to really reinvent and reinvigorate the series.[/QUOTE]
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Project 8 and haven't played Proving Ground, but I agree with you. The quality just suffers too much when you race to get these out. You can plan innovation, but if you're crunched for time you either scrap it or put it out buggy.

I remember playing THUG2 with a friend, doing S-K-A-T-E, and noticing just how buggy the spawn points were. It's little things like that which would be totally fixed in an 18-month cycle.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Project 8 and haven't played Proving Ground, but I agree with you. The quality just suffers too much when you race to get these out. You can plan innovation, but if you're crunched for time you either scrap it or put it out buggy.

I remember playing THUG2 with a friend, doing S-K-A-T-E, and noticing just how buggy the spawn points were. It's little things like that which would be totally fixed in an 18-month cycle.[/quote]

Exactly, its not like this is Madden, or a baseball/basketball game, where theres new rosters & rules changes every year and you kinda need a yearly release to keep up.

Its skateboarding, take your time and do it right. I know the yearly profits must be great for Activision and Neversoft, but they have to think about the ill will these buggy, rushed sequels are starting to generate amongst the fanbase. A first year Skating effort from EA has blown away a series which should be getting it right by now, not sliding downhill.

[quote name='kaptinmorgan']definately want to try skate, but I always buy the TH games, still own 'em all, too.[/QUOTE]
same here

I'm not a TH fanatic - I don't buy it yearly. But I like playing around with it every once in a while, so I picked it up this year. I've gotta say, I've really been enjoying it. I love the Nail A Trick feature, the levels are well layed-out and fun and it has a nice throw-back to the old school games with the arcade missions.

I can imagine if you play the game yearly you might not think as much of it - but for someone who picks one up every 3-4 years, I think it was well worth the purchase.

bread's done
Back