Fellow CAG "MookyJooky" is trying to be successful in music... what is missing?

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
Ok, this is really kinda scary for me, cause I feel like I'm about to get panned all around, but I'm really trying to be musically successful and I would really love some input on the direction and what I'm missing to be successful.

Idea of success : Being able to make another CD without a day job. :)

I'm doing everything on my own, and I'm extremely behind and slowly getting older, and I need to jump now or never... I've had good experiences with asking fellow CAGs about things, at least from the old schoolers. I'm just feeling a bit stagnant, and a bit scared on where to go from here, and having problems with getting people for collaborations... so I'm just really getting frustrated...

If you've wondered why I disappeared, or why I havent been as active, this is why.

Please tell me what you think seriously, good or bad... I can take it. But obviously realize that these weren't recorded at a studio (in my office) and they're scratch tracks for the time being. I have other songs, but I'm working on all of them at the same time and its taking time.

www.myspace.com/wesleyellis

I was very surprised after clicking on your myspace. I was expecting something amateurish, techno, or bad hip hop. You've got some talent Mooky. I wish I had some good advice to help you out, but all I have is go and play as many live shows as you can. Check with local pubs/grills/venues. I would pay to see you.

Love the flute.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I was very surprised after clicking on your myspace. I was expecting something amateurish, techno, or bad hip hop. You've got some talent Mooky. I wish I had some good advice to help you out.

Love the flute.[/quote]

Thank you rodeo, I really appreciate that... I've doing it all in Garageband 2.0 on my Powerbook.... its amazing how great a tool that is.

You might try shooting your stuff over to Wombat as he's the only CAG I know of who has any background with talent and showbiz management. And he can give you an honest opinion on whether you have any shot with anyone important in the industry.

From a total layman perspective, I don't think there's any magic formula you can do directly to affect you being a success in the music industry. You either strike a chord with the right person or you don't.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of talented people out there who don't "make it" in music, and you may have to alter your career plan in a way where you can find a niche in the field. Who knows, maybe you might even be successful in a part of the music business you haven't even considered yet.

I came to post the obligatory answer to the "what is missing?" question (talent).. but after listening to 'sleep', I can't. You're actually good.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Can I just say its good or do you want genuine feedback and critisism?[/quote]

Genuine feedback, be brutal, and if its too brutal... IM me. =)

I know its "decent" for a scratch track, but I need it to "POP", something that just hits people... the music industry is insanly brutal... so I need work on thickening my skin... go crazy.

Thanks for asking though, :) - some people say that, and then freak out and cry when you say something about it.

not my thing so i really cant offer anything helpful, i will say get a new picture.

*edit, i can say this. im good friends with people in a band that got signed to a big label. (i knew they were doing pretty good when i saw their cd in a random store in wurzburg germany) and all they did was play shows and network. meet people lots of people at said shows, performed locally for years. and eventually they caught the eye of a label and they funded their last two cds, a us tour, merchandise etc etc. so get out there and stay out there and maybe someone will notice.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']not my thing so i really cant offer anything helpful, i will say get a new picture.

*edit, i can say this. im good friends with people in a band that got signed to a big label. (i knew they were doing pretty good when i saw their cd in a random store in wurzburg germany) and all they did was play shows and network. meet people lots of people at said shows, performed locally for years. and eventually they caught the eye of a label and they funded their last two cds, a us tour, merchandise etc etc. so get out there and stay out there and maybe someone will notice.[/quote]
I'll admit, the pic is kinda gay... =) I'm just waiting for a time to take a better pic.

I'm currently losing a lot of wieght from my Halo 2 CAG clan days (was 278 [highest ever] - now 210, and still falling..., I'm 6'2) So I really feel like my image will truely start when I'm confident in my wieght and physical appearance... so I haven't got with a photographer yet. It's coming, I've already spoke with the guy who's taking the shots.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I'll admit, the pic is kinda gay... =) I'm just waiting for a time to take a better pic.

I'm currently losing a lot of wieght from my Halo 2 CAG clan days (was 278 [highest ever] - now 210, and still falling..., I'm 6'2) So I really feel like my image will truely start when I'm confident in my wieght and physical appearance... so I haven't got with a photographer yet. It's coming, I've already spoke with the guy who's taking the shots.[/quote]
Start working on those abs. I'll listen in a bit and send you a PM. What music you listen to for inspiration? I'm assuming you're looking for songwriting feedback specifically?

[quote name='MookyJooky']...what is missing?[/quote]
Talent?
Joking. ;)

Although your style isn't really my cup 'o tea, I know there is a solid fan base that you could build. You should try to play some shows in your area at resturaunts, bars, public venues, etc. In fact, I know that at some point during the spring/summer down here at the Beach, they let musicians set up on the strip and play(Although they won't let you take tips, you can sell cd's/tapes). You should look into that kind of stuff as building a solid fan base is the first step. Get yourself out there and maybe you'll luck out and someone will find you and offer you a contract of sorts.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Start working on those abs. I'll listen in a bit and send you a PM. What music you listen to for inspiration?[/quote]

Well, in all honesty, I used to hang out and smoke cigarettes with Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 when he was in this band called "Tabitha's Secret", and man... you can really tell that was a deciding factor in my vocal and musical stylings. I was 16 years old, and I was like "Damn, this is so awesome". He was a nobody, at the time, but it was really cool, cause he was just Florida White Trash just like me.

But these days I'm influenced by Dave Matthews, Ben Harper, and Ray Lamontange the most... with a bit of rap influence, rythmically... hence the old-school rap-ish flute in "Sleep". I think some of the funk stylings come from gangsta rap of the late 90's as well...

I'm really trying to take from my influences and make a voice for myself, and I feel that with the funk/folk/rock styling... I'm getting closer to that goal.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I'll listen to it later tonight and give you as much feedback as I can.[/quote]

Im interested to hear what you have to say!

Well, I'm a singer myself (had a paid gig here and there before), so I can offer advice in that arena.

The Rob Thomas influence is pretty obvious, but it's not like that's a bad thing. However, you do face the potential problem of getting lost in his vocal shadow. I'd consider changing up your voice a bit, if possible. I know some people say "I sing the way I sing!", and that's fine. But your voice is yours to change, so maybe you should experiment a bit. And no offense, but your vocal rhythm seems off a bit, almost a bit off sync.

Also, your vocals seem to lack some pop. The words roll almost lazily, and the lack of enunciation makes it hard for me to understand what you are saying. Additionally, that style (to me) comes across as boring and has a sleepy effect on me. Maybe you could try pushing more with your diaphragm when singing, and opening your mouth more. Try forming your words in an exaggerated manner, especially when recording. It feels cheesy, but it conveys more passion and emotion in the vocals.

And that's what I'd say it boils down to for me: lack of emotion. It doesn't inspire me to feel or do anything. I will say though that I think you have lots of talent and potential, but you are right, it's missing something.

I don't mean to come off condescending, but if there is some format through which we could sing together, I'd be glad to help if you do desired. Maybe we can make a Rock Band group! :)

[quote name='the ender']Well, I'm a singer myself (had a paid gig here and there before), so I can offer advice in that arena.

The Rob Thomas influence is pretty obvious, but it's not like that's a bad thing. However, you do face the potential problem of getting lost in his vocal shadow. I'd consider changing up your voice a bit, if possible. I know some people say "I sing the way I sing!", and that's fine. But your voice is yours to change, so maybe you should experiment a bit. And no offense, but your vocal rhythm seems off a bit, almost a bit off sync.

Also, your vocals seem to lack some pop. The words roll almost lazily, and the lack of enunciation makes it hard for me to understand what you are saying. Additionally, that style (to me) comes across as boring and has a sleepy effect on me. Maybe you could try pushing more with your diaphragm when singing, and opening your mouth more. Try forming your words in an exaggerated manner, especially when recording. It feels cheesy, but it conveys more passion and emotion in the vocals.

And that's what I'd say it boils down to for me: lack of emotion. It doesn't inspire me to feel or do anything. I will say though that I think you have lots of talent and potential, but you are right, it's missing something.

I don't mean to come off condescending, but if there is some format through which we could sing together, I'd be glad to help if you do desired. Maybe we can make a Rock Band group! :)[/quote]

I need to ask the tree leperchan.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I need to ask the tree leperchan.[/quote]

Indeed you do. Indeed you do.
Smartass. :)

[quote name='Scorch']I came to post the obligatory answer to the "what is missing?" question (talent).. but after listening to 'sleep', I can't. You're actually good.[/QUOTE] Same. You bastard.

Hey, thats actually good stuff.
Only listened to sleep, moving onto Simple Words.
I'd buy the CD.

EDIT: Just something I thought of. While I'd still buy an album, the music is slow...real slow. Not that its a problem for me and all, but I'm rather sure a good way to get mainstream attention is for catchy songs. Honestly, while I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing, you need something a bit...faster paced maybe?

Like someone else said, I'm not into this type of music, so I couldn't give you any kind of helpful feedback.

I'll just say, it was better than what I expected before clicking the link and that you sound way different than on Live.

Mooky, when you perform, do you screw your face up like John Mayer? Perhaps THATS what you are missing.

Do you have a better quality recording of this posted anywhere?

Well I can see the Dave Matthews and Rob Thomas influence. Clearly you have the talent to make something out of your music (and from what I've seen you'll probably have no trouble designing your own cover art).

Now how to make your music take off? Send me 10 demo CDs and I'll send them to stations and producers I know and see if anything sticks. (And when I say "know" I'm not talking buddy buddy, but would probably be open to hearing new stuff)

[quote name='ryan838']I'll pass this over to my cousin Chuck I think it might be the new sound he is looking for.[/quote]

/thread.

Mooky - think of a stage name or name your "band" something like how Trent Reznor calls himself Nine Inch Nails or how Ken Andrews calls himself "ON" - no offense but, Wesley Ellis isn't going to attract much attention since so many people out there have demo tapes.

Also, I like your music.

I thought 'Sleep' was a great song, Mooky. It reminded me a bit of John Mayer, personally, as far as great songwriting talent, both musically and lyrically.

Save a CD for me.

holy fucking shit, that was actually good. Really good. Wow. I was sorta hoping it'd be like the3rdkey's... "music" so I could mock it, but no. You've definitely got talent.

[quote name='Rocko']iazybandit selling your tracks on eBay in 3, 2, 1...[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Anyway, that's pretty good stuff, mooky. If you were on MTV, most of us would rip you apart, but since you haven't made it, we like you. :D

If ever you start touring along the coast, let me know. I can get you some fixed gigs in Charleston at some nice venues. Might even be able to hook you up with a place to stay.

Like many others, I expected awful things when clicking that link.

You surprised me Mooky. It is quite good.

But ender did make a good point, in that some of the lyrics are a bit hard to understand. Good enunciation will easily fix that.

I really hope somebody can help you make it big.

One thing that you need to remember is that you will hear no a shitload of times, but you need to just take it in stride.

Also, being serious about this means really fucked up hours and an insane work schedule.

I honestly think that your sound has a place in the niche of singer-songwriters with a bit of soul, but you're going to have to work your ass off.

Your voice is good. A little soft/lazy, but good. It's like a mix between John Mayer and Everlast.

If you could fuse the soulfulness of Mayer's music with the southern rock/rap twang of Everlast's, you could have a solid hit on your hands.

im a big fan of singers like Jon mayer and Jack Johnson..and you definitley fall in tha category. Im listening to Simple Words as im typing this. Its way more than what i expected. I thought i was going to click on some punk garage band and i got this. I had a little trouble listening to what you saying. I also thought the music drowned out your voice a little. I loved the instrumentals too. I agree with the others too..The voice needs POP. With a unique voice, you will reach your listeners even better. atleast thats what i think..

yeah im with Cyrix. I want to Sleep on the IPOD.

Nobody wants to dislike this and shit on it more than me. Really, we all know it, ever since the days of the superluckybesthalo2multiplayertipsandtricks.com fiasco we aint seen eye to eye.

But I can't...

It's not really my style of music but it really isn't bad and can't hate on it much at all. And the fact you're doing the shit on your laptop, nice. Real nice.

Yeah. Do you have a way we can download these?

//edit: Wow. You know you're good when not even Jimmie can put you down.

Reminds me of Acoustic Reserve, and as a result I think you have the same problems that they do.

For Sleep, the backing "wah" track sounds very clean and electronic, so much so that it seems tacked on rather than to blend with the rest of the tracks which have that more natural sound to them. The song overall sounds decent but also very generic. The drum track in particular seems to be no frills.

Simple Words suffers more than the other songs from the too clean feel, especially the orchestra strings and harp?, it sounds very "stockish" and cliche.

Ending of Suffering seems like the perfect setup to showcase the singer's (your?) voice and it ends up being wasted with that extremely repetetive background track. You do throw in some drums about half way in, but by that time I've already gotten sick of the bg melody.

Some general issues. It may be your draw or you haven't gotten the other songs up or whatever, but some variation in the vocals would be welcomed. That sighing sort of singing works fine for the 3 songs here, but if you're going to make a full CD I'd say you need some more variation, especially on the part of the vocalist.
Another note on the voice, I know you said its not studio etc. however, there were a few places where it sounds like you're straining your voice and thus it comes out a little louder than the rest of the song. It ruins the flow.
Overall, pretty good, certainly some potential, but as it stands its far too generic. Get some more variety in there and do what you can to eliminate the too perfect sound on some of the tracks.

My attempt at honesty.

:O

God I'm so jealous of people like you who can actually SING!

Have you tried entering any musical-talent-search events or the like?
Or if you're still in contact w/Rob Thomas, ask him to help you set up an audition!

Mooky, if you're in Charlottesville, you should try to get connected with the local Virginia music scene. Charlottesvile and Richmond are pretty supportive of local music; you could try talking to some local bands who've seen some success and ask for advice or open one of their shows.

I know in the past Carbon Leaf has been very supportive of other local bands; they have a lot going on right now, so they might not be able to help too much, but if you email them, they should be able to give you some advice. Their rhythm guitarist, Terry is the most prompt at responding to messages: you can get his email address on their website or you can contact him on his MySpace.

Another route would be to get in touch with Plan 9. As a local music store, they support independent artists a lot, and they occasionally have musicians play in their store to promote a CD.

Everyone, thank you so much for the kind words and support.... and the critism is also every welcomed. When I listen to these songs, I pretty much constantly cringe, because I hear nothing but my limitations and mistakes.

I'll be changing the"Simple Words" vocals, I must not of been comfortable at recording time as I thought, they really dont have any pop at all and fall flat a lot.

Crystal, thanks for the crit, I see what you mean about the lack of flow between instruments. Some too perfect, others too crappy sounding, I thought this would be a good time for a bit of trivia. (Some people have asked via PM)

-I never went to a music school, class, or even lesson... I started playing guitar at 17.
-The drum tracks and a collection of samples I put together to make it sound different enough, to sound like a person...
- Other than that, the flute and shakers, are the only samples.
-The "perfect" sounding orchestra, sounds that way, cause its crappy MIDI. And me with no musical background, noted it at a coffee shop. I hope to get in real musicans to fix it one day.
-"Ending of Innocence" consists of drum track sample, and me coming up with a song in 2 hours on a sunday. I'll have a better version of it very soon.
- All the electric guitar parts are either MIDI, or me on my acoustic, with electric filters on the guitar... =) I dont own an electric.
- I'm a lefty, so guitars are a bitch and a half to buy to me.

I really love the crit, I really need it... and I'll be looking more into those aspects of the songs, just giving you an idea of why some things sound very "green". I need some real musicians.

Also, I quit smoking today. I really hope that gives me some of the "Pop" I need. I think it will decrease a bit of the lazy sound to my voice, and then I'll fix the rest. I may go up an 1/2 octave though. Could be bad. =(

[quote name='JimmieMac']Nobody wants to dislike this and shit on it more than me. Really, we all know it, ever since the days of the superluckybesthalo2multiplayertipsandtricks.com fiasco we aint seen eye to eye.

But I can't...

It's not really my style of music but it really isn't bad and can't hate on it much at all. And the fact you're doing the shit on your laptop, nice. Real nice.[/quote]

I'm naming the website, "superluckyawesomemusicbyaguynamedwesleyellis.com". :D

[quote name='Mookyjooky']- I'm a lefty, so guitars are a bitch and a half to buy to me.
[/QUOTE]
I feel ya on that. Random x1.5-2 price multiplier sucks.

bread's done
Back