Xbox 360 HDMI Cable + Audio Adapter $45 @ Amazon

Eltis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey folks,

Some of you that managed to get a new Xbox 360 Premium with HDMI (like me) might be interested in this deal.

This has the HDMI cable as well as a separate audio adapter so you can hook it up to a separate receiver (nice for those of us without HDMI pass-through receivers).

I've been looking for a deal on this for a while since I think $50 is downright disgusting for a cable. And even though $5 off isn't exactly the deal of the century, it's from Amazon and has free shipping and no tax (for most) so it adds up.

I went ahead and bit the bullet since I haven't seen a better deal yet.

Linked for your convenience (thanks shrike4242):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UODATY/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

If you're going to pay that much for the cable why not get an elite and a larger HD for only a little bit more?

[quote name='getmyrunon']If you're going to pay that much for the cable why not get an elite and a larger HD for only a little bit more?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think that's why I'm going for the Elite.

Damn MS and their high accessory prices.

Couldn't you just buy a HDMI cable from monoprice for $6 and change shipped? And then by a seperate audio adaptor thingy.

[quote name='getmyrunon']If you're going to pay that much for the cable why not get an elite and a larger HD for only a little bit more?[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I came here to say.

[quote name='skygunnerblue']What is the audio adapter for?[/quote]

Oops, didn't scroll down far enough. Sorry for the dumb question.

"The Xbox 360 HDMI Cable provides gamers with separate audio and video connections via the included Audio Adapter. The Audio Adapter allows HDMI video to be routed to the HDTV with the audio routed SEPERATLY to the home speaker system. Without the Audio Adapter the video and audio signals are both carried by the HDMI cable. This means users without an HDMI receiver (new/costly) must listen to their Xbox 360 game and movie audio via their TV speakers."

[quote name='skygunnerblue']Oops, didn't scroll down far enough. Sorry for the dumb question.

"The Xbox 360 HDMI Cable provides gamers with separate audio and video connections via the included Audio Adapter. The Audio Adapter allows HDMI video to be routed to the HDTV with the audio routed SEPERATLY to the home speaker system. Without the Audio Adapter the video and audio signals are both carried by the HDMI cable. This means users without an HDMI receiver (new/costly) must listen to their Xbox 360 game and movie audio via their TV speakers."[/quote]

Wrong. Just use the optical audio and connect to your receiver.

"Without the Audio Adapter the video and audio signals are both carried by the HDMI cable."

Without this the Audio Adapter is NO JACK TO PLUG YOUR DIGITAL OPITICAL CABLE INTO.

[quote name='Gourd']
is NO JACK [/quote]

No Jack?!?!
20060516-jack.jpg

I bought the elite so i guess premiums got gimped in more ways than i knew.

Can't you use the included component cable? Just plug in the optical to the plug, but don't plug in the component into the rec (or TV).

It's pretty lame some of us have to buy this.

For me my receiver already has all the HDMI jacks filled, so I'll have to run my new HDMI 360 into my TV. However, my TV has an optical out, so I can just use that. I checked and it will pass the bitstream from the HDMI to my receiver via optical. So some of you might check this before you buy that kit.

[quote name='HeyBeerman']Can't you use the included component cable? Just plug in the optical to the plug, but don't plug in the component into the rec (or TV).[/QUOTE]

Nope, that port on the 360 is disabled when you plug in the HDMI cable. Some people already tried that and posted about it in the 360 forum.

Stupid move by MS, and one that has further delayed me seriously thinking about picking one up as I'd have to buy this or an elite and I don't want one bad enough to spend that kind of money right now.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']It's pretty lame some of us have to buy this.

For me my receiver already has all the HDMI jacks filled, so I'll have to run my new HDMI 360 into my TV. However, my TV has an optical out, so I can just use that. I checked and it will pass the bitstream from the HDMI to my receiver via optical. So some of you might check this before you buy that kit.[/QUOTE]

Good thought there! I think my new tv has an optical out if I recall correctly.

Good point, but an additional $50+ for only more HD space is arguable depending on your needs.

My wife wanted the Premium because she prefers the color. Personally, I wanted the premium with HDMI because of the promise of having better reliability (cooling) as well as a quieter drive. Does it? I don't know, I don't have an Elite. Nor do I have any reliable means of performing a bench test. But I do know that my system was built in July of '07 which I believe is after MS realized that making unreliable systems was actually costing them more money in the long run (class action lawsuits do that I guess). Note that I don't think I got the cooler "chip" but I do believe this unit has improved cooling in place.

Anyway, this deal was intended for folks that already got the Premium with HDMI.

Couldn't you just buy a HDMI cable from monoprice for $6 and change shipped? And then by a seperate audio adaptor thingy.

I was talking with them earlier (I had the same idea) and they suggested for 1080P that I get the HDMI 1.3 cable, which is over $24 plus tax/shipping for 6 feet. Maybe they were feeding me a line to get me to pay premium, but if I'm going for 1080P, I'm maximizing my chances of getting the best signal possible.

You can't buy the audio adapter separate since this hooks up to the MS proprietary socket. At least not until a 3rd party makes one. So that's why I just decided to bite the bullet and get the official MS product. It got to the point where I just wanted to watch stuff in 1080P with digital sound and not deal with what may or may not work.

With the audio adapter, I do have the option of buying a longer HDMI cable if I decide to hook it up to my projector (this will be very expensive if I want the quality cable).

[quote name='Eltis']
I was talking with them earlier (I had the same idea) and they suggested for 1080P that I get the HDMI 1.3 cable, which is over $24 plus tax/shipping for 6 feet. [/quote]

The 360 only supports HDMI 1.2, so while a 1.3 cable would work, it is not necessary. Save your $$ if you want to get a better HDMI cable and get the cheaper version... gold plates and all of that don't matter since it's a pure digital signal. 1's & 0's aren't as affected by interferrence like analog cables.

oh man i'm glad i found out about this. what was microsoft thinking?

so wait...the elite's have an output for digital audio? or are they like the new premiums with only an hdmi output...

[quote name='BelieveTheHype']oh man i'm glad i found out about this. what was microsoft thinking?

so wait...the elite's have an output for digital audio? or are they like the new premiums with only an hdmi output...[/QUOTE]

Same exact setup, just that the Elites include the optical audio adapter.

[quote name='daminion']The 360 only supports HDMI 1.2, so while a 1.3 cable would work, it is not necessary. Save your $$ if you want to get a better HDMI cable and get the cheaper version... gold plates and all of that don't matter since it's a pure digital signal. 1's & 0's aren't as affected by interferrence like analog cables.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the tip - knowing that the 360 only supports 1.2 means that my obsessive compulsive nature will settle for the cheaper cable. *sigh of relief*

[quote name='Eltis']
I was talking with them earlier (I had the same idea) and they suggested for 1080P that I get the HDMI 1.3 cable, which is over $24 plus tax/shipping for 6 feet. Maybe they were feeding me a line to get me to pay premium, but if I'm going for 1080P, I'm maximizing my chances of getting the best signal possible.[/QUOTE]
HDMI cables are NOT required to be labeled as 1.3 to work with 1.3. all HDMI cables have the exact same connections and design: a cable that works for HDMI 1.0 will almost certainly work for 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 as well. The only thing that separates a normal cable from a "1.3" cable is that the 1.3 cable has had extra testing, it doesn't mean that no other cables will work for it. It's just a marketing scam to get you to purchase an overpriced cable (same with the whole "HDCP Compatible" branding on them: cables can't be incompatible with HDCP because then they wouldn't be HDMI cables).

[quote name='OGHowie']Same exact setup, just that the Elites include the optical audio adapter.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, so where does the optical audio adaptor plug into? the HDMI port? Could the same connector be used for Premiums if they make them available? It's really silly that you can get optical audio through Component and VGA but not with a generic HDMI cable...damn MS and their attempt at creating a cabling monopoly!

[quote name='Pookymeister']No Jack?!?!
20060516-jack.jpg

I bought the elite so i guess premiums got gimped in more ways than i knew.[/QUOTE]

I would say Locke kills Jack sometime in the future but the season 3 finale kills that thought -- fucking have to wait until 2008 for Season 4. I miss my Lost.

Yeah I would just buy the Elite anyways, I'm struggling to keep space avaliable on my 20gb HD.

[quote name='Edge']Hmm, so where does the optical audio adaptor plug into? the HDMI port? Could the same connector be used for Premiums if they make them available? It's really silly that you can get optical audio through Component and VGA but not with a generic HDMI cable...damn MS and their attempt at creating a cabling monopoly![/quote]Either of the HMDI-equipped systems use the same audio dongle, which plugs into the 360's AV port, providing RCA L + R and optical out. HDMI cable carries video.

With the component cable, there's a spot on the AV-connector side of the component cable to plug in optical audio out.

I would wait for a cheaper solution to come along.

I'm sure that eventually EB games will have these for sale used for like 15 bucks like they did with the VGA cables. Or that some other 3rd party will come out with a much cheaper version.

For me I just went out to EB and bought their generic 360/XBox/ps2 components. I used the HDMI with my projector and used the audio from the components with a speaker set. The official 360 component are too fat to fit next to the HDMI. The eb brand is skinny so it fits and works. Solved my probelm. Costed me 18 bucks for the component and 6 for the HDMI. BTW the generic 360 cable has a optical out.

Monoprice you could get it for like 7 shipped so I have no clue why anyone would by this. Plus I think monoprice would make a better hdmi cable than microsoft.

Hey, I was wondering-
Since this HDMI uses the Proprietary AV connector, does that mean this will work in a 360 that doesn't have HDMI? Seeing as how this would bypass the regular HDMI connector, I'm wondering if this connector would work on 360's without it.

There's no reason it wouldn't unless it requires something on the motherboard itself.

It's worth finding out about I bet!

[quote name='somejewishdude']Monoprice you could get it for like 7 shipped so I have no clue why anyone would by this. Plus I think monoprice would make a better hdmi cable than microsoft.[/QUOTE]

People are buying this for the audio adapter, not the HDMI cable

[quote name='NamelessMC']Hey, I was wondering-
Since this HDMI uses the Proprietary AV connector, does that mean this will work in a 360 that doesn't have HDMI? Seeing as how this would bypass the regular HDMI connector, I'm wondering if this connector would work on 360's without it.

There's no reason it wouldn't unless it requires something on the motherboard itself.

It's worth finding out about I bet![/QUOTE]

This HDMI doesn't use the proprietary connector. It's just a regular HDMI cable bundled with a audio adapter for the 360.

[quote name='buurrnn']The generic component from eb works as an audio adapter.[/quote]

Or, like I said earlier just use the optical out on your TV (if your TV has a built in ATSC tuner it likely has an optical out) and run that to your receiver.

This is what I am doing as my receiver's 2 HDMI in's are being used by my HD DVD player and PS3 so I can get lossless audio support. I just received another HDMI cable from Monoprice today so next week when I get my Halo 360 I'll be ready to go.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Or, like I said earlier just use the optical out on your TV (if your TV has a built in ATSC tuner it likely has an optical out) and run that to your receiver.

This is what I am doing as my receiver's 2 HDMI in's are being used by my HD DVD player and PS3 so I can get lossless audio support. I just received another HDMI cable from Monoprice today so next week when I get my Halo 360 I'll be ready to go.[/quote]

People with projectors have no choice but to use a audio adapter since they dont provide digital outputs.

[quote name='buurrnn']People with projectors have no choice but to use a audio adapter since they dont provide digital outputs.[/quote]

People with projectors don't have ATSC tuners, hence the qualification of my statement above.

At any rate this is still lame for a lot of us. I'm buying a projector next year, so I'll either have to buy that stupid dongle, buy an HDMI selector, or upgrade my receiver (again).

It's pretty ghetto that there is not an optical out on the newer 360's, especially since you gain nothing (aurally) from using HDMI on your 360.

We should all email Monoprice and ask them to make a version of that dongle. They have a 360 component cable that as an optical out, so they basically have the engineering done anyway. Then we could probably buy one for $6.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']It's pretty ghetto that there is not an optical out on the newer 360's, especially since you gain nothing (aurally) from using HDMI on your 360. [/QUOTE]
You know, that's one thing that's always annoyed me even back to the original Xbox. Why did they not just put an optical audio connector on the console itself? The PS2 at least had that ever since its launch, yet both the Xbox and Xbox 360 require you to have a cable with it attached. And really, wouldn't it be cheaper just having a single output on the console instead of needing separate outputs on the component, VGA, and HDMI cables?

I do hate that even though I already have a perfectly fine PS2/Xbox combo Component cable, the PS2 is the only one I can have hooked up to Optical with it since the Xbox doesn't have it on the system itself (which is especially ironic since the PS2 doesn't even need Optical to output Pro Logic II surround sound).

Anyway, end rant :p

[quote name='Edge']You know, that's one thing that's always annoyed me even back to the original Xbox. Why did they not just put an optical audio connector on the console itself? The PS2 at least had that ever since its launch, yet both the Xbox and Xbox 360 require you to have a cable with it attached. And really, wouldn't it be cheaper just having a single output on the console instead of needing separate outputs on the component, VGA, and HDMI cables?

I do hate that even though I already have a perfectly fine PS2/Xbox combo Component cable, the PS2 is the only one I can have hooked up to Optical with it since the Xbox doesn't have it on the system itself (which is especially ironic since the PS2 doesn't even need Optical to output Pro Logic II surround sound).

Anyway, end rant :p[/quote]

Both companies have engineering or packaging faults.

don't even get me started with a Blu-ray system coming shipped with composite cables.

Yes though, it's annoying as hell that I had to get an Advanced HD pack for my original Xbox to get optical out and to get that same run around with my 360 is just atrocious. Makes me wonder if I should even have a 360 or just sell it, keep my PS3 and play my PS3 until a "final" version of the 360 comes out 1 year before the next Xbox comes out, that has all the bells and whistles so I can enjoy it for as long as I enjoyed my Sega 32x before the Sega Saturn came out.

God I miss the golden age of gaming. Back then, there were two systems: SNES and Genesis. $350 total got you into the golden age of gaming among the elites and that was at launch. And the SNES came with TWO controllers, and super mario! What more could you ask for!?

bread's done
Back