Infinite Undiscovery - Gen. Discussion & Info

gunm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
8/27/08 IGN Review 7.1/10:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/902/902768p1.html

8/22/08 Updates:

Pre-order and get a limited edition foil print as well as an unlock code for 5 in-game items that affect character growth and gameplay. Packed in with game.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D3NPY6

GC 2008 Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38973.html

Previous news:

From Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/pardner/microsoft-square-enix-and-tri+ace-are-partners-298918.php

From Xbox.com:

An epic RPG from tri-Ace, developer of Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile, and Microsoft Game Studios, Infinite Undiscovery™ was first presented at the 2006 Tokyo Game Show, and represents the culmination of 10 years of ideas from producer and designer Yoshiharu Gotanda.
The exclusive power of Xbox 360™ brings to life a world that changes in real time, allowing players to make their own choices that will result in numerous "unknown discoveries." Experience a grand story set in an ultimate fantasy world overflowing with detail and realism, delivering a true role-playing experience.

An infinite world. Infinite possibilities. Infinite Undiscovery.

From square-enix.com:

INFINITE UNDISCOVERY is Unchained on Xbox 360: September 2, 2008
Los Angeles (May 21, 2008)

Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix™ interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that INFINITE UNDISCOVERY™ for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft will ship September 2, 2008. The first in a completely new lineup of Square Enix titles for Xbox 360, this fantasy RPG (role-playing game) is a collaborative project with fan favorite development studio tri-Ace Inc. (STAR OCEAN® and VALKYRIE PROFILE®).

“With the simultaneous release of INFINITE UNDISCOVERY, Square Enix is entering an exciting new period of delivering great gaming experiences to our fans all around the world at the same time, creating new global communities,” said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, Inc. and Square Enix, Ltd. “This is something that we have aimed to do for a long time and we look to continue to deliver worldwide gaming experiences across all platforms well into the future.”

INFINITE UNDISCOVERY envelops players in an engaging real-time world where every decision you make leads to a myriad of discoveries and affects every encounter. The developers that set a new standard for RPGs by fusing exploration with battle in the STAR OCEAN series establish a new benchmark for the genre, perfectly integrating traditional tri-Ace elements with the technological power of Xbox 360. The experience is enhanced with a soundtrack by composer Motoi Sakuraba from the STAR OCEAN and VALKYRIE PROFILE series.

GAMEPLAY: DISCOVERY & IMPACT
Every discovery and action that players make has an instant impact on the world, creating an unpredictable gaming experience.

Situational Battles
As players are faced with a variety of episodic situational battles, they will discover that they may have to try various methods to defeat the enemy, where the most obvious solution is rarely the right move. Players can assemble parties from a pool of 18 characters, choosing those with the best combination of abilities for the job. Snipe distant enemies with the help of a bow-wielding ally or skilled magic user. Based on each player’s decisions, the intricate environments will offer a variety of experiences, presented in a way never before seen in RPGs.

A Seamless World and Real-time Action
Players are drawn deeper into the world as each act becomes more crucial to survival. To make careful decisions and advance, players will need to rely not only on sight and sound, but also scent. Combat, exploration and other actions will all take place within the same environment, seamlessly shifting between each game facet.

STORY
Known as the throne of the gods, the moon rested peacefully in the heavens. Man enjoyed great prosperity by harnessing the power of the celestial body.

Until one day...
A sinister force ensnared the moon with chains and fastened them to the surface, bleeding the life from the planet. The enchained lands were transformed into withering wastelands, and their once carefree inhabitants now lived in fear. Behind the world's plight were the Dreadknight and his menacing horde, the Order of Chains.

Deep in a forest, in one of the Order's prisons, a young boy named Capell was being held captive. His captors called him the "Liberator," though he had no clue as to what they meant. On the third day of his imprisonment, he was rescued by a spirited young woman named Aya. She was a member of a small band of brave warriors who had gathered under the banner of Sigmund the Liberator to free the world from the iron grip of the Order.

Upon meeting Sigmund, he was surprised to find a man who shared his very face and appearance. This meeting would change Capell's life forever and shake the foundation of the world itself.

The brand new trailer can be viewed exclusively today on GameTrailers.com at:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5501.html. Additionally, starting this Thursday, the new trailer will be available in full HD on the Square Enix members site at http://member.square-enix.com/na/.

INFINITE UNDISCOVERY is not yet rated by the ESRB. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. INFINITE UNDISCOVERY will be available at North American retailers for the suggested retail price of $59.99(USD). The official website can be found at http://www.infiniteundiscovery.com/.

Screens (pending):

Trailers:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtVe9IUqoPU[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully MS's capital will be the only thing invested. Past that they should keep their mouth's shut, at least the American division people and perhaps the Blinx one's. Past that those other people can make comments.

[quote name='62t']It is good to see that Infinite Undiscovery is still coming out[/QUOTE]

That's the title? almost as bad as "Beyond the Beyond"

presserinfiniteundiscovery.JPG

So am I correct in understanding that the battle system will be similar to Kingdom Hearts?
Vistually the game looks good, hopefully it will ture out to be a really good game.

I'd like to know what is Square bring to the table if Microsoft is just publishing it. Why are they giving then what sounds like a free ride?

[quote name='Apossum']That's the title? almost as bad as "Beyond the Beyond"[/QUOTE]

I LIKE "Beyond the Beyond". Title isn't bad and the game was good. I even use the term for what human's need to stretch to, myself included.

[quote name='akilshohen']I'd like to know what is Square bring to the table if Microsoft is just publishing it. Why are they giving then what sounds like a free ride?[/QUOTE]
I think originally MS was going to publish it, but now square is. Might have due to sqaure's name recognition.

[quote name='Sarang01']I LIKE "Beyond the Beyond". Title isn't bad and the game was good. I even use the term for what human's need to stretch to, myself included.[/QUOTE]

I LOVED Beyond the Beyond. :D

SO3 was fantastic and now a September release is making me excited for IU. I'm all for action RPGs

Edit: WOW! That 2nd trailer looked amazing! The lip syncing was pretty bad, but the combat and the graphics were superb. I cannot wait! I haven't played an action RPG in a long time. The last one was Tales of the Abyss and my god that was terrible! I couldn't get past the annoying main character,

The game looks pretty nifty, but the VA in that trailer is horrible.

EDIT: "Innuendo Dive" also conjures up all sorts of great mental images. Glad to see Mad Libs are making a comeback.

[quote name='willardhaven']Hilarious voice acting is a plus.

Remember the original Resident Evil and Symphony of the Night?[/quote]You don't want terrible voice acting in an RPG.

This game looks generic in every way.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']You don't want terrible voice acting in an RPG.

This game looks generic in every way.[/quote]

As long as the voice acting can be turned off I don't care, I don't take my console RPGs any more seriously than other games.

Looks generic maybe, but the developer is claiming that in-game decisions actually affect the world at large (with infinite possibilities). If that claim is true, the game should be pretty fresh.

Overall though, Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey, White Knight Story and Enchanted Arms all share that dull HD-RPG skin to me. This game seems like it's going to fall victim as well.

I'm trying to be into IU, but it's just not grabbing me. Especially if Tales of Vesperia is coming out so soon before.

The story seems very interesting, but the characters and art direction....yuck.

Interview from a couple days ago:

[quote name='"gamespy.com"']

Infinite Undiscovery Producer Interview (X360)
Producer Hajime Kojima explains what we will be discovering in Infinite Undiscovery.
By Gerald Villoria | June 17, 2008

Square Enix is easily the most prolific role-playing game publisher in the business, and recently it teamed up with Microsoft to bring a handful of original RPGs to the Xbox 360. Developed by tri-Ace, Infinite Undiscovery is an Xbox 360-exclusive set to be released worldwide this September. We had the opportunity to sit down with Square Enix producer Hajime Kojima to discover more about what's in store.

line.gif

GameSpy: Can you tell us about the origin of the name "Infinite Undiscovery" and what it means?
Hajime Kojima, Producer: We realize that "undiscovery" is a made-up word. (laughs) It's not that you can't discover anything, but there are many things that remain undiscovered in the game.​
GameSpy: One of the main premises behind the game is that the main character is supposed to be the spitting image of a famous hero in the game world. Are you eventually going to have a party with two identical characters fighting side-by-side?
Hajime Kojima: Yes, there will be two characters that look alike together in the game. While we can't reveal too much at the moment, it won't be two identical people.​
GameSpy: So one will have a flute, and the other a giant sword?
Hajime Kojima: (laughs) Well, the main character is a flute player, but he's actually pretty good with a sword as well.​
GameSpy: There's a flute magic system for the main character, Capell, correct?
Hajime Kojima: There's a variety of ways to use the flute, yes. He can play it to get the enemy's attention. Or you can use it to block magic attacks. A third way to use it would be to play the flute, and if there's a wall before the players that blocks the way ahead, it can be an illusion, and playing the flute will dispel the illusion, clearing the way.​
GameSpy: So tell us more about the "discovery" in the game.
Hajime Kojima: As we showed you in the demonstration earlier, there are many examples of interactive objects that can be used in the game like the barrels that you blow up to defeat the ogre.​
GameSpy: Can you move and shoot at the same time?
Hajime Kojima: When you want to shoot, you engage in Connect-action mode. You can only stand still and aim at objects.​
GameSpy: What is the bar on the side of the screen that looks like a sword?
Hajime Kojima: That's the AP gauge. It measures when you attack a heavy enemy, and how much you lift it off the ground.​
GameSpy: One of the core concepts of the game is the Situation Battle, and we've seen a few where you have to run away from the enemy and complete the encounter by working with the environment. Are most situation battles going to be about running away from a strong foe?
Hajime Kojima: Not all situation battles are about running away from enemies. The demos we showed did focus on running, but there are definitely situation battles where you have to fight. One example is a battle where you're fighting a monster, but during the fight you have to avoid tornadoes as they move across the battlefield.​
[/quote]

Also: some hands-on impressions from Wired: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/hands-on-infini.html

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']What's the preorder bonus again??[/quote]

Limited Edition Foil Print and an unlock code for 5 in-game items that affect character growth and gameplay. Packed in with game.

I'll add to OP as well as amazon link for CheapyD referral goodness.

Bestbuy has the Metallic packaging for infinite undiscovery. I'm wondering if they have the code in a preorder box as well like the Lost Oddesy one they had.

I'll check and report back later today.

I wasn't going to get either game and now because of these limited editions im thinking about it. I think i'll place a pre-order at Gamestop and if it ends up being to common I can always just cancel it and move it to something else.

By the way i've only seen Japanese voice acting. Other then the special moves voiced I haven't heard the english voice acting.

Can anyone link?

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me a sucker. Especially since I have to many games to play already but I just pre-ordered Infinite Undiscovery from Best Buy.

That exclusive limited edition metallic case,that looks to have a decent chance at being limited since it's exclusive to Best Buy, and the fact that i'm a pretty big Tri ace fan... I just couldnt resist.

Valkyrie profile, and Star Ocean are amazing games that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Anyone have any guess's on how they're going to fit some Valkyrie Profile characters in here, becuase you know they will, since they always do.

With a reputation like Tri Ace has with RPG's I think I owe it to them to get this first day since I got all their other games used and have loved all of them i've played.

I'm personally getting this. If you're torn just wait. They're coming out soon and i'm sure by then a lot of people will start chiming in about both and the positive and negative points.

I'm going to be so broke come next week. I'm finally going to pull the trigger on Lost Odyssey with the recent price drop at WM. Then there's Infinite Undiscovery. I'm kind of iffy on Vesperia, since I didn't really enjoy the battles in the demo. Even with the auto-control off, it seemed like I had no control over the characters. I haven't even picked up Eternal Sonata yet.

Vesperia demo did put you in a bad place for a demo. If you're not use to tales, or it's been a while you probably were confused by the battle system.

Infinite Undiscovery is reminding me so much of stuff like Secret of Mana though that I have to try it. Plus i've heard that multiple difficulty modes, bonus dungeon, and multiple endings have been confirmed on a nother board. I'm not sure if it's actual ending, or just ending with different charecters or something but it's enough for me.

I've been waiting on 3 games before making a decision. Infinite Undiscovery, Tales, and Mercs 2. I rented Tales, and as much as I really wanted to I just didn't "get it". (I guess I'm just pants on head retarded)

Mercs 2 looks great, but since I actually had forgotten it was EA, I'm waiting on a used copy. I feel it's somewhat of a moral choice. :)

Now Infinite Undiscovery looks interesting. Yeah yeah I know, reviews. Well I think IGN gave it one point lower than ToV, 1up seems to have liked it. I'm wondering if the combat is somewhat like Kingdom Hearts, anyone know?

bread's done
Back