CAGcast #90: Bringing SASE Back

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
This week's show features CheapyD's TGS preview and Wombat's two surprise Sony purchases. We also answer your CAGbag questions, discuss the latest gaming and shopping news, the skateboarding and hockey games battles, Metroid Prime 3, Silent Hill Arcade, and so much more!

[media]http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast90.mp3[/media]
Download - 99 minutes, 46MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts
Get your "Free" CAG "Play Cheap" Bracelets
Not exactly free, will cost you 2 stamps

Send a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to:

CAG
P.O. Box 354
Merrick, NY 11566

You'll need 2xEnvelopes and 2x$0.41 stamps

sase.jpg

Writen instructions, just in-case.
Step by step instructions:

1. You'll need two envelopes and two $0.41 first-class stamps.

2. On Envelope 1, in the middle of the envelope, write your
name and address (just like you are planning to mail yourself
a letter). Put our return address in the upper left corner.

3. Stick one stamp in the upper right
corner of Envelope 1. Do not seal Envelope 1!
If you live outside of the USA, do not affix postage on Envelope 1.

4. On Envelope 2, in the middle of the envelope, write our
address as follows:
CAG
P.O. Box 354
Merrick, NY 11566

Put your return address in the upper left corner.
5. Stick one stamp in the upper right corner of Envelope 2.

6. Fold Envelope 1 so that it can be inserted into Envelope 2.

7. Insert Envelope 1 into Envelope 2. Seal Envelope 2.

8. Mail Envelope 2 (which now contains Envelope 1) to us.

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Pictures

Whoring out for a little bit of money I see. I am quite disappointed. Now the CAGcast will be soiled with ads for crap no one will even care about or buy... Just so Wombat can get a couple bucks. With all the kick backs this site gets for referals, Wombat should just get money without these stupid methods. If the money was going to a good cause or all to Wombat, it would be a different story. Wombat deserves things but not through this channel.

All you who support this move are blind.

First it was being a whore for free games, then digs, and now it's for money. What's next?

I love listen to the CAGcast because of what it brought and they way they did. Now it's probably slowly going to turn into Ad-cast.

Sweet - I know I got a couple stamps lying around. Also, congrats on racking up 90 episodes! Giving out "free" shit is a great way to celebrate.

Thank god you guys posted this. I usually listen to podcasts between the hours of 1 am and 5 am (I'm pretty sure I have a kind of insomnia) and I ran out! Then I looked on the front page and voila, new CAGcast!.

Wombat, they always say they have another bid. Dont believe the hype. The realestate market is falling apart, and its going to get worse. Cheapy should expect more earthquakes.

Metroid Prime 3 is NOT a rental, period. Cheapy, I hope you remembered to toggle your controls for the game, aka Advanced controls because they work so much better than default controls.

EDIT:
Another good show. But once again, I must call in Professor Pronunciation for the following:

Ninja Gaiden (Guide-n)

There you go.

Nice show

The difference between the Lair reviewers guide and the sheets of paper we reviewers get in the jiffy bag is that the reviewes gudie was sent out after the game had been reviewed by these major outlets. Was Sony trying to make them review it again with this new knowledge of how the controls really work?

I agree that people are spinning this shit too much, but I just wanted to chime in

Also that blister picture nearly made me lose my lunch.

I'm a long time listener and really love the podcast.

My preferred platform is PS3, so I'm well informed about it and noticed quite a few factual issues in the last few podcasts. I'd like to point them out here:

-"Super Stardust HD is taking too long", arcade mode can indeed take a couple of hours if you're good (my 216M run took 2h), BUT there is a planet mode and it's about highscores for each planet, so it only takes a few minutes for a single planet run.

-"Warhawk/ranked servers", you can host your own ranked server. See the manual for useful hints: http://www.us.playstation.com/Warhawk/warhawk_manual.pdf

-"Warhawk would be better on LIVE", LIVE is nice and all, but SCEA and SCEE DO host a bunch of dedicated servers and the initial title/launch rush is calming down in the last few days. Lately it's a lot easier to find open slots on those free servers.

-"Selling PS3 with DLC adds value to the system", true ... but CheapyD mentioned Warhawk as an example and that's one of the few exceptions. Warhawk (PSN version only) is bound to your PSN account and can only be used by that account. So you have to sell your PSN account with the PS3 in order to transfer ownership of the DLC. If that's a problem, then the retail disc would have been the better purchase.

-"Having your friends on LIVE makes a difference", I got my friends on PSN and it makes a difference and all the nice things you guys said about LIVE hold true for me and my folks on PSN. It's just a matter of the view point, don't use it to quantify a service.

Damn good show, wombat use the psp's RSS feature to download podcast to your psp. It's nice and easy to do!

*EDIT*

The guy above me has some really great points, thanks for adding FACTS to the show. I'm getting tried of podcasters pulling **** out of their ass.

I dont understand why people keep saying heavenly sword is just a rental. The game has a ton of unlockables in the game and a ton of stuff to do once you finish. The orignial God of War was only 5 or 6 hours long and the second was only 2 hours longer. If you are gonna say heavenly sword is a rental then you gotta admit god of war is a rental.

Plus to the guy who is bitching about ads. You dont pay for the CagCast and you can always fast foreward past them. Please STFU. Cheapy and Wombat never asked for a penny from you, and if they can make a small bit of cash on the side to help them out then I stand by them and support them.

Cheapy and Wombat>>>>>You

[quote name='InuFaye']I dont understand why people keep saying heavenly sword is just a rental. The game has a ton of unlockables in the game and a ton of stuff to do once you finish. The orignial God of War was only 5 or 6 hours long and the second was only 2 hours longer. If you are gonna say heavenly sword is a rental then you gotta admit god of war is a rental.

Plus to the guy who is bitching about ads. You dont pay for the CagCast and you can always fast foreward past them. Please STFU. Cheapy and Wombat never asked for a penny from you, and if they can make a small bit of cash on the side to help them out then I stand by them and support them.

Cheapy and Wombat>>>>>You[/QUOTE]

Err. Unless you were some kind of freak at the game, God of War 1 was at the very least 10 hours and God of War 2 is about 12.

62 minutes in currently, appreciate you guys mentioning me. :)

AFAIK, Starbucks doesn't have free Wifi, but is indeed a T-Mobile Hotspot, and if you go into your PSP settings, you can get 6 months of free T-Mobile Hotspot access. There you go.

Wombat, congratulations on the new psp. I hope for the love of God you get yourself a screen protector. I don't have a psp slim so I don't know about the screen scratching but I highly recommend the Hori screen protector.

NinjaMajik: I have a regular PSP that I've stored everywhere and never had to worry about the screen scratching...the side of the case however, is a different story, when I got it stuck in the little compartment below my CD player, and had to take it out with a screwdriver.

happy belated birthday CheapyD

can't knit for the life of me, but how about those who want to contribute to lil' cheapy's college fund? or the "let cheapy give a speech at TGS" fund?

the boil: ugh...I'm swearing off all gummie candies.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Err. Unless you were some kind of freak at the game, God of War 1 was at the very least 10 hours and God of War 2 is about 12.[/quote]

Unless the puzzles took you forever. I remmber beating the game in an afternoon.

re: chry-z and servers

In my reading of the Warhawk manual it looks like you can create your own dedicated ranked server, but either can't play on it -or- if you play on it YOUR rank doesn't go up. Is this what happens in practice, or can you improve your rank this way? Anybody?

Nintendo is outselling the xbox because soccer moms know the name Nintendo.
Nintendo has managed to tap into the non-gaming market by packaging a [simple] game that get talked about around the water cooler. I've seen it first hand.
People not necessarily into video games really like Wii Sports and talk about it to others.
Even the non-traditional gamer mom remembers Mario bros. and Nintendo.

they're not as familiar with Xbox, and no kid in their right mind wants a ps3.

[quote name='thorbahn3']I thought Wombat's PS3 didn't work online for more than like 20 minutes. So how did you last on Warhawk? Starbucks charges for wi-fi access. $6 bucks for 24 hour access: http://news.com.com/2100-1039-990487.html[/quote]

rumor from 1up was that the latest PS3 firmware update had something to do with Warhawk and its online stability.

Ok, I must have missed the follow up thread on the likelyhood of adverts in Cag casts. Would it be possible for you to tell us the specific times that the commercials actually appear in the show notes?

I just wanted to give my 2 cents about the Wii outselling the 360 and PS3 by biblical proportions and nobody can figure out why. There was a time when I was a hardcore gamer. But a few years ago I got married, got a house with a mortgage, and had a child.

So why am I not interested in a 360 or PS3?

Time – I have severely limited free time. I don’t want to waste it on a three hour tutorial noob level for some overly complicated game that was released six months too early.

Money – We don’t rely on mommy and daddy. I’m lucky that I get to spend $15 a week on comic books, and I have to sacrifice eating lunch at work to afford that. Looking at the insane number of home foreclosures in my city, I’m not the only person that needs to be tight with money. At $15 a week, how long will it take to save for a 360 or PS3? Our savings account and my sons college fund are a hell of a lot more important than Forza or Metal Gear.

Desire – I just don’t care about the games that are out these days. I can’t find a single compelling title that would warrant the purchase of a system (plus accessories) that would cost as much as my monthly house payment. I don’t care about my l33T cred or whatever the racist Halo X-Box Live Trolls call it these days, and even the best games are still written like a 12 year old girls fan fiction. Plus, I’ve never had a comic book or novel crash half way then force me to start over (corrupt KOTOR 2 saves). Also, too many games today feel like work and are just no fun.

What games do I play? My wife and I have a couple DS’s and we play Clubhouse games and Zoo Keeper now and again. We play Wii at our friend’s houses, and want to get one for X-Mas. A Wii, not an Xbox or PS3. The Wii imply suits out lifestyles better.

great cagcast cheapy and thanks for mentioning me wombat y are u going thorugh ur psp while doing the cagcast y cant u stay focused and just do the cagcast

WOMBAT:

Now that you have a PSP, here's a list of games you MUST check out:

>Jeane D'Arc ($30) (MUST-PLAY TITLE!!!!)
>Burnout Legends ($20)
>Exit ($9 @ Best Buy)
>GTA Liberty City Stories ($30)
>GTA Vice City Stories ($20)
>Gurumin--A Monstrous Adventure ($20)
>CRUSH ($30)
>Lumines II ($20)
>Megaman Powered-up ($20)
>Megaman Maverick Hunter X ($20)
>Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops ($22 @ Circuit City)
>Puzzle Quest ($30) (MUST-PLAY TITLE!!!)
>Ratchet & Clank--Size Matters ($40)
>SEGA Genesis Collection ($30)
>Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX ($20)
>Sid Meier's Pirates! ($20)
>TEKKEN Dark Resurrection ($20)
>Tony Hawk's Underground 2 ($20)
>Twisted Metal Head-on ($20)
>The Warriors ($20)
>Valkyrie Profile Lenneth ($20)
>Wipeout Pure ($20)

...if you're tight for cash, then just get Jeane D'Arc--it'll pretty much justify your purchase of the system.

Great show this week guys! I get the thing about the drugs during birth. I did farely well in school and University and my attributes it to her not drinking any coffee, alcohol, or taking any pain medications during her pregnancy and during birth. Now I haven't had a kid yet nor do I have a wife (but I'm working on it;), but those thoughts are found here in the US too.

Are they true or not? I don't know, just sharing my experience so I won't argue one way or the other. I think that whatever your wife decides to do Cheapy is what she should do, I hope you both have a great and exciting time going though this parenting thing.

I think the drug thing may be true -- only because we have a bunch of fucking retards in this country nowadays. But that's my two cents.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is being published by Microsoft not Tecmo so it is a real Xbox 360 exclusive like Gears of War. It will not be on PS3 next year as you claimed on the show.

[quote name='cool8man']Ninja Gaiden 2 is being published by Microsoft not Tecmo so it is a real Xbox 360 exclusive like Gears of War. It will not be on PS3 next year as you claimed on the show.[/QUOTE]

To add to the pic. in your signature:

XBox 360: 10 million Red Rings of Death

[quote name='cool8man']Ninja Gaiden 2 is being published by Microsoft not Tecmo so it is a real Xbox 360 exclusive like Gears of War. It will not be on PS3 next year as you claimed on the show.[/quote]
Why isn't the Wii number up there on your sig?
Oh yeah, Wii outsold 360... and in less than 1 year!

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']Whoring out for a little bit of money I see. I am quite disappointed.... First it was being a whore for free games, then digs, and now it's for money. What's next?[/quote]
Um ... money is pretty much the last thing. Do you think they are going to want sex next? They can just use the money and buy some.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']I love listen to the CAGcast because of what it brought and they way they did. Now it's probably slowly going to turn into Ad-cast.[/quote]
Just get over it dude. If a company is willing to pay to advertise on the CAGcast, Cheapy and Wombat deserve to get paid.

-stonefry

[quote name='cool8man']Ninja Gaiden 2 is being published by Microsoft not Tecmo so it is a real Xbox 360 exclusive like Gears of War. It will not be on PS3 next year as you claimed on the show.[/quote]

yea, it's gonna be a sweet game.

I will give the Wii Zapper a try when it hits just out of curiousity and $20 isn't bad. For it to hold people's attention long term they really need to include support for the wii balance board on on wii zapper games. If the games were like Virtua Cop and Time crisis with the balance board used for duck/cover it could be interesting. However I can't picture myself getting off the couch standing on a board to shoot with a piece of plastic add on.

As I'm listening to this weeks show there are a few things that I have to say.

1. NHL 2k8 score. 4.0 does not mean the game is broken. Last years game got a 6.5 and it sounds like they didn't make as many changes as they could have, and some of the changes in the game made is worse. How should the score change if you put out last years sports with nothing but a new year on the box? 1Up gave NHK 2k7 a 6.5. If you don't make any changes the game should be, at most, a 5.5. They made bad changes and the competition stepped it up for hockey games leaving 2k8n the past. If you take off half a point for each offense you have a 4.5.

2. Nick's beard rocks! It's iconic. All you have to do is say "The bearded guy from 1Up," and people will know who you mean. I think you're right about videogame "talking heads" being more presentable but don't tell me you want everyone to look as fake as Kevin Pereira?

I would just like to reiterate what Chryz said on the first page:

ANYONE can host a ranked game in Warhawk.

You can tell which servers are ranked by the trophy icon on the left side of the browser.

Wombat, I listed the great PSP games in this thread (post #13):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151681

Anyway, I didn't listen to it yet (about to), but I heard on another forum my name was mention? Looks like I'm a celebrity here too. :p
[quote name='ChryZ']I'm a long time listener and really love the podcast.

My preferred platform is PS3, so I'm well informed about it and noticed quite a few factual issues in the last few podcasts. I'd like to point them out here:

-"Super Stardust HD is taking too long", arcade mode can indeed take a couple of hours if you're good (my 216M run took 2h), BUT there is a planet mode and it's about highscores for each planet, so it only takes a few minutes for a single planet run.

-"Warhawk/ranked servers", you can host your own ranked server. See the manual for useful hints: http://www.us.playstation.com/Warhawk/warhawk_manual.pdf

-"Warhawk would be better on LIVE", LIVE is nice and all, but SCEA and SCEE DO host a bunch of dedicated servers and the initial title/launch rush is calming down in the last few days. Lately it's a lot easier to find open slots on those free servers.

-"Selling PS3 with DLC adds value to the system", true ... but CheapyD mentioned Warhawk as an example and that's one of the few exceptions. Warhawk (PSN version only) is bound to your PSN account and can only be used by that account. So you have to sell your PSN account with the PS3 in order to transfer ownership of the DLC. If that's a problem, then the retail disc would have been the better purchase.

-"Having your friends on LIVE makes a difference", I got my friends on PSN and it makes a difference and all the nice things you guys said about LIVE hold true for me and my folks on PSN. It's just a matter of the view point, don't use it to quantify a service.[/QUOTE]I agree. I like it better on PS3 because I wouldn't have to deal with the p2p online gameplay (which is usually laggy), and I have the majority of my good friends on PSN also. Super Stardust HD is one of the most addictive games IMO and I play it constantly.

[quote name='thorbahn3']I thought Wombat's PS3 didn't work online for more than like 20 minutes. So how did you last on Warhawk? Starbucks charges for wi-fi access. $6 bucks for 24 hour access: http://news.com.com/2100-1039-990487.html[/quote]
If it's like mine, when you get a good connection to a server, any connection problems go away for about as long as you want to play. Wombat was around for awhile and I didn't notice any lag at all for Cheapy's server.

--------------------------
Wombat, like it's been mentioned before, anybody can create a ranked server. I know Cheapy had splitscreen enabled (as there were a couple duos in the room) which is one of the things you can't have on for a ranked game. If you're looking for ranked games, the first of the three icons in the server listing is for whether it's ranked or not (the other two are friendly fire and password protected servers). Dogfighting rooms (at least on Sony's servers) have it listed in the name, but I think you can find it in the info window to the right in the server listings for the user servers, so you might want to check that, too (use right stick to scroll).

Also, you did well when I was playing with you and Cheapy. Cheapy wasn't playing well, as I shot his Warhawk down with my tank, which is hard to do unless the Warhawk guy's just not paying attention. It's easy and funny to tell who uses motion control for the Warhawk, because it seems like they're FWI (flying while intoxicated), which is how Cheapy looked for the few rounds I played. Cheapy, please vary the modes next time you set up a room, as it would be nice to play some zones or deathmatch.

I've played the demos of the NHL 2K games and a little bit of maybe NHL 2k5 on the PS2 and the controls have always been confusing and overly complicated to me. When I picked up one of the games at the $5 CC sale, I played a few games before trading it in and it was just a mess of a game. I even tried out the All-Stars competition and it was like I was playing with a twig while everybody else had hockey sticks. I'm glad that there's one game that's clearly better than the other because both have been pretty close for the past few years and at that level where they'd both get 7's-8's that wasn't a very convincing score that I should pick up either one.

I was pleasently surprised that Wombat picked up a PSP and I'm glad that there will be a presence in the show, even if it's as small as the DS usually gets. If you want some suggestion, I can make some recommendations on games you might want to look out for in sales or the deals that come up in the forums.

Great show, it was nice to see Wombat doing some work and bring his own topics to the show. Hopefully, Wombat can get the time to outline a whole show, maybe the 100th episode?

I'll have to send out a SASE in the next day or two. Thanks for giving those out for pretty much free.

Edit: Oh yeah, Cheapy, that blister kind of looks like you have a red ring of death on your ankle.

Thanks for the kind feedback.
[quote name='xrayzwei']re: chry-z and servers

In my reading of the Warhawk manual it looks like you can create your own dedicated ranked server, but either can't play on it -or- if you play on it YOUR rank doesn't go up. Is this what happens in practice, or can you improve your rank this way? Anybody?[/quote] Yeah, hosting a dedicated ranked server means you're not able to play on it. This isn't a limitation of the PSN network though, but more a design choice by Incognito. Anyways my advice would be (with a lively community like CAG), if you're not playing just make a server, protect it with a password, post the details in the warhawk thread, create a few CAG clans, kick user off the server with no CAG tag, when done pay it forward and host a server for a few hours. (CheapyD got fast internets and since his PS3 is collecting dust he might wanna take one for the team ;))

[quote name='ChryZ']Thanks for the kind feedback.
Yeah, hosting a dedicated ranked server means you're not able to play on it. This isn't a limitation of the PSN network though, but more a design choice by Incognito. Anyways my advice would be (with a lively community like CAG), if you're not playing just make a server, protect it with a password, post the details in the warhawk thread, create a few CAG clans, kick user off the server with no CAG tag, when done pay it forward and host a server for a few hours. (CheapyD got fast internets and since his PS3 is collecting dust he might wanna take one for the team ;))[/quote]

yea, a ranked CAG server hosted by Cheapy should be done!

bread's done
Back